NEurope
Dcubed

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS)

The 3DS one has been out for a while in Japan without online. They'renot going to shoehorn it in at last minute in localisation

Do you Defend everything about Nintendo consoles and games? Hasn't it happend loads of times not being online in japan and then online in the west? Also, They shoehorned it OUT when they moved it from the wii, then shoehorned itback in the wii u version.

It not having online is a bad, lazy decision. There's no defence for it.

Do you Defend everything about Nintendo consoles and games? Hasn't it happend loads of times not being online in japan and then online in the west? Also, They shoehorned it OUT when they moved it from the wii, then shoehorned itback in the wii u version.

It not having online is a bad, lazy decision. There's no defence for it.

It might be lazy but ultimately not a big deal since the Wii U version has online (and you'd have to be at home to play it online anyway)

I'd be upset if there was no Wii U version, but as it stands (I'm getting both versions) it makes no difference if the 3DS one has online or not. I'll happily play on the 3DS version for single and local multiplayer and the Wii U one for online (or single player if I feel like playing on a TV)

The only thing I really miss out on is playing in S3D while playing online, but that really isn't a huge deal if I can happily play multi with my friends on the 3DS anyway. It's an issue, but not a really huge one that's worth getting upset about.

Doesn't make a difference to you because you want to buy both. What about people who only want to buy one, play on the go, play local 4 player with friends and play online? Why shouldn't this be possible?

As long as I can still happily do all those things, I don't mind buying two versions (and everything you described is perfectly possible with both versions combined)

Yeah it sucks that you can't play online with just the 3DS version (and that seemingly, you can't play locally with just the Wii U version), but this is a very reasonable compromise. Remember, just a couple of days ago we had all but given up all hope of getting the game at all - now not only are we getting the game, but we're also getting the ability to play online and on the TV in addition to just getting the 3DS version.

You're kind of missing the forest for the trees here. I was ecstatic to hear that we were getting the game at all, let alone alongside an online/cross platform compatible Wii U version! I'd like a rainbow coloured pony as well, but it really doesnt matter.

Besides, I still want the 3DS version more than the Wii U one anyway. Local multiplayer is more important to me than online anyway (let alone the S3D and portability factors!)

Edited by Dcubed

Remember, just a couple of days ago we had all but given up all hope of getting the game at all - now not only are we getting the game, but we're also getting the ability to play online and on the TV in addition to just getting the 3DS version.

Excellent point. Considering that western gamers were being toyed with by the continuous false hope, the feeling of finally getting what gamers “actually" want is overwhelming.

Tis is ridiculous. You're sayin we should just be grateful were getting the games, who cares if they're ripping us off. Okay if it was this or nothing then you obviously choose this, but it doesn't have to be this way. They're trying to get more money out of us. For many people will be willing to buy both. S most people are getting screwed of something. That is a huge shame and quite disgusting behaviour (should we expect anything less from capcom?) just hope Nintendo don't follow suit with smash bros.

Especially when you compare what sony are doing, buy ps3 version get the vita free.

They're trying to get more money out of us. For many people will be willing to buy both. S most people are getting screwed of something.

Stop the press! companies are trying to get more money out of us! How dare they those selfish bastards!

Stop the press! companies are trying to get more money out of us! How dare they those selfish bastards!

Simplify it if you want. But there's a right way and a wrong way. This is the wrong way.

Dazzy, I sort of understand your point considering I argued along the same lines in the EU thread, but it's not like people have to buy both the Wii U and the 3DS version.

If they provided no online play in both versions then I'd completely agree, but they've got to differentiate the two versions and provide justification for each one. The 3DS one is portable and may provide streetpass features or have local play with friends (big boon for Japan, not so much UK&US). The Wii U one plays like a console title with online multiplayer, but isn't portable at all.

In my opinion, if you're getting a Wii, you'd be mad not to get that version.

Dazzy, I sort of understand your point considering I argued along the same lines in the EU thread, but it's not like people have to buy both the Wii U and the 3DS version.

If they provided no online play in both versions then I'd completely agree, but they've got to differentiate the two versions and provide justification for each one. The 3DS one is portable and may provide streetpass features or have local play with friends (big boon for Japan, not so much UK&US). The Wii U one plays like a console title with online multiplayer, but isn't portable at all.

Not to mention that the Wii U game will have, in all likeliness, no local multiplayer (aside from with 3DS players) and of course no S3D (which will massively benefit the underwater combat!)

I think they've differentiated them nicely and should compliment each other very well.

GODDAMMIT I WANT IT ALREADY! My 3DS is crying for this game!!

And that's the version I will get, but I have a lot of 3DS owning friends, well, a few and also would enjoy playing th single player on the fly. But oh well, it's done. I'll just get the one version...

I'm with Dazzy on this one. It seems like the game has been cut in half, with one half being released on the 3DS and the other on the WiiU. Why not even have some sort of system where you buy the game once and own it on two platforms? I understand the need to differentiate between the two systems, but this really isn't the way.

It's amazing that this is coming, no doubt about it. But, there shouldn't be a need to compromise on this kinda thing.

I wonder if it's due to the 3DS game having been released in Japan already (Dec 2011)? Would be cruel to make them buy another copy just to get online...

I wonder if it's due to the 3DS game having been released in Japan already (Dec 2011)? Would be cruel to make them buy another copy just to get online...

That's actually a very fair point.

Still, why didn't that version have online?

But doesn't that happen with monster hunter all the time? Didn't the portable psp games only have online added in the west?

That's actually a very fair point.

Still, why didn't that version have online?

The handheld games never have online options due to it being so popular to play locally in Japan. Basically it never needed it.

But doesn't that happen with monster hunter all the time? Didn't the portable psp games only have online added in the west?

In a fashion. You had to play via ADHOC party on your PS3 or with a work around like xlink. It was kinda slapped on and never really fully implemented from the start.

Whether we like it or not the MH series is MASSIVE in Japan and that being the case they are always going to cater to that audience first. For MH to be big in the West they need it to be on a console and online and that's exactly what they are bringing to the table.

Whether we like it or not the MH series is MASSIVE in Japan and that being the case they are always going to cater to that audience first. For MH to be big in the West they need it to be on a console and online and that's exactly what they are bringing to the table.

Yeah, that's how I see it too...I much prefer a console MH game to a handheld one. It's unfortunate the 3DS version has no online, but at least the WiiU version has it, and they're both compatible with each other...

The only games that Capcom have ever released that have had online added just for the western release were We Love Golf and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (both of which just happen to be Wii games and the latter of the two was re-released with online in Japan later on as an international version of sorts)

OMG guys, OMG.

Aside from the abysmal load times, my other criticism of MH Tri was the lack of a lock on.

So we added the Target Cam to the game so with the press of a button you can focus on one of the monsters you're fighting against

Eurogamer

OMG guys, OMG.

Aside from the abysmal load times, my other criticism of MH Tri was the lack of a lock on.

Eurogamer

It's not a true lock-on (that would destroy the core gameplay that makes Monster Hunter what it is!) but rather it's an option that makes the camera turn to face the monster when you press the icon (or L) instead of turning to behind your character like it normally does.

Don't expect a Zelda style lock-on.

a9eb8a8e6d9adbc2416076e015473043.jpg?v=227250

Box art... which is pretty much the same as the Wii U version.

Release date of 19 March US/22 March for Europe.

Demo being coming on 21 Feb (no region stated though so could be just US or could be both US/Europe).

Edited by Captain Falcon

Surprised that Braccydos isn't adhorning the box like the JPN version, but it's still really nice looking!

ROLL ON MARCH 22ND!

Tis is ridiculous. You're sayin we should just be grateful were getting the games, who cares if they're ripping us off. Okay if it was this or nothing then you obviously choose this, but it doesn't have to be this way. They're trying to get more money out of us. For many people will be willing to buy both. S most people are getting screwed of something. That is a huge shame and quite disgusting behaviour (should we expect anything less from capcom?) just hope Nintendo don't follow suit with smash bros.

Especially when you compare what sony are doing, buy ps3 version get the vita free.

mmmm

I am not sure that they are ripping us off. I mean MH 3 Ultimate is not an online game on 3DS. It isnt in Japan so I dont really expect Capcom to add this on just to please the west.

MH4 will be online so look forward to that.

As for comparing it with Sony and there cross play PS3 retail buy and get Vita DD version free. Remember that this is for 1st party games so this wouldnt be happening if MH was being released on PS3/Vita.

Also without unified nintendo accounts you couldnt do that anyway.. ;)

I will be buying both as want to play online and also continue my single player game on the move.