NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U Price Check

Yeah, I was feeling the Monster Hunting itch and sat debating just ordering one from ASDA on Thursday night. Managed to resist somehow and at work I randomly happened to see the HMV deal kicking about on HotUKDeals.

I called one store (Westfield, Shepherds Bush branch) and the dude had no idea what I was talking about. To be fair it did sound like I was making it all up and we both kind of acknowledged how fishy it sounded. Fortunately I work around the corner from the Oxford Street HMV and ran down there on lunch to see what was going on.

The dude at the counter and I spent five minutes surprised at how low the price was, still can't believe how cheap it was.

---

If push came to shove, you could technically buy the HMV Premium pack and return it to ASDA with the copy of Mario (I doubt it'd even matter too much if Mario was opened). Just say someone bought you the system as a surprise and you don't want two. I used to do that all the time when I ordered a game online and it never arrived on release. Just bought a new copy from a store and returned the sealed one that arrived in the post a few days later.

Hell, even buying a copy of Mario new and sending that one back would probably result in you breaking even. You'd be getting a copy anyway, right?

Yeah I'm thinking about it, it's still sealed(mario) so totally doable. Only problem is will I find a store anywhere near with stock and that, plus I'm going on holiday on tuesday. Might just have to eat that difference :(

I saw this thread when I was just packing up for work at about 6 o'clock last night. I drove to Castlepoint where there is a HMV in the hope that they had this deal. Unfortunately, it's the HMV that is closing down, so no deal. No WiiUs even.

There's one in town. I will try there. If I see it, I'm having it! 200 quid for a WiiU and ZombiU? Yes. Fucking. Please.

Do note HMV say this isn't meant to start til Monday. You may be lucky but still

Yeah I'm thinking about it, it's still sealed(mario) so totally doable. Only problem is will I find a store anywhere near with stock and that, plus I'm going on holiday on tuesday. Might just have to eat that difference :(

You'd want to call stores that aren't closing down and ask them to hold you one, I guess. I'd also call ASDA and explain that you want to return it and gauge their response. It may actually be possible to return it in-store, ASDA are pretty cool that way.

You'd want to call stores that aren't closing down and ask them to hold you one, I guess. I'd also call ASDA and explain that you want to return it and gauge their response. It may actually be possible to return it in-store, ASDA are pretty cool that way.

Can't get through to any stores! Think my local ones might be shut, and the bluewater one re-directs me to some other line and THAT isn't open on the weekend. I'm gonna just whip down there on the offchance I get lucky methinks. Brb!

Did you ask specifically for this deal btw? Just wanna make sure if they have it and it's priced that I get it right.

Can't get through to any stores! Think my local ones might be shut, and the bluewater one re-directs me to some other line and THAT isn't open on the weekend. I'm gonna just whip down there on the offchance I get lucky methinks. Brb!

Did you ask specifically for this deal btw? Just wanna make sure if they have it and it's priced that I get it right.

It was kicking about on signage all over the store I went into. On those little correx boxes you have to take to the counter to make a purchase. If all else fails, show them this Eurogamer article with the receipt and ask them to phone it in to head office.

Good luck dude. You could also ask them to check other nearby stores for stock and maybe they can either source you one for next week or get them to reserve it for you?

Edited by Guy

I've just phoned HMV in Bournemouth and Poole. Bournemouth had 4 units and they've all sold out. Opening time was at 9 and I wasn't even up at that time, so was never going to make it. Gutted.

Am cry, N-E. Am cry.

It seems the deal has become extremely well known at this point. Lots of the people on HotUKDeals are also reporting stores are sold out. Mission accomplished if HMV were looking to shift all their stock.

Bluewater Peeps.

(she wouldn't tell me how many they had in stock though, but I think I saw at least 2 more behind the counter)

Edited by Rummy

I've just phoned HMV in Bournemouth and Poole. Bournemouth had 4 units and they've all sold out. Opening time was at 9 and I wasn't even up at that time, so was never going to make it. Gutted.

Am cry, N-E. Am cry.

Make sure to check whenever you can. You think you could have a looky on Monday?

Bluewater Peeps.

(she wouldn't tell me how many they had in stock though, but I think I saw at least 2 more behind the counter)

Buy flink one too :)

Buy flink one too :)

Would glad pay an extra 20 or 30 quid above the 199 to make it worth Rummy's while.

It's probably gone by now, though. These things have sold out quick.

Note to Nintendo: Make the launch price cheaper for your next console. :p

I'd gladly go buy one for you if I had the cash, dude. Really sorry I can't help you out.

It's fine, no worries. Logistically, it's asking a bit too much. You'd have to physically go out and get one, then go through the hassle of sending it/me driving there to collect it, and then there's transferring the monies over and stuff. For the sake of saving a few quid, it's a bit too much hassle.

I was hoping the deal would still be a "a quiet one" and I could have just strolled in to town at midday and collected it. Somehow, the information seems to have got out and they've gone. I was also anticipating HMV having more than just 4 units in stock.

I'll most likely wait for E3 now and see what happens. If there are some huge games announced, or stuff revealed for later this year, I'll hope for an ASDA-esque deal and go for that.

Yeah I woulda grabbed you one but cos of my holiday it'd just have been uber mess to sort out. I've just returned the new one to ASDA under their invoice, so hopefully saved myself a few bob this morning! I say hopefully...it seems ASDA weren't too sure what they were doing, hopefully won't have hassles there.

I'll most likely wait for E3 now and see what happens. If there are some huge games announced, or stuff revealed for later this year, I'll hope for an ASDA-esque deal and go for that.

Tbh it'll probably drop by the end of the year anyway, it's been selling terribly and I don't think retailers are too happy - stuff like this is a good example that the pricing and awareness of it aren't right. I'm interested to know how these 'unofficial' price cuts are changing sales, if at all. The additional problem brought is that some people just aren't buying it because they're waiting for the next big deal - that isn't doing them any favours!

Yeah I woulda grabbed you one but cos of my holiday it'd just have been uber mess to sort out. I've just returned the new one to ASDA under their invoice, so hopefully saved myself a few bob this morning! I say hopefully...it seems ASDA weren't too sure what they were doing, hopefully won't have hassles there.

Tbh it'll probably drop by the end of the year anyway, it's been selling terribly and I don't think retailers are too happy - stuff like this is a good example that the pricing and awareness of it aren't right. I'm interested to know how these 'unofficial' price cuts are changing sales, if at all. The additional problem brought is that some people just aren't buying it because they're waiting for the next big deal - that isn't doing them any favours!

Yeah, retailers clearly aren't happy with it. The ASDA near me doesn't even sell the WiiU and the Sainsburys close by only has a puny and insignificant amount of shelf space for it. In fact, it's part of the Wii section, but on the bottom shelf.

Nintendo clearly made errors with the 3DS launch and they have made arguably worse one with the WiiU. Some would argue that the price drop prices from ASDA and HMV (250 and 199) should have been the RRP of the system to start with. I paid 180 for my Wii at launch. Going higher than 230 is pushing it, imo. 199 is only a steal when you consider the prices that came before it. It's still 20 quid more than a Wii at launch.

I got the ASDA deal too and feel slightly bitten, not bothered though, I'm having a blast with my Wii U and don't regret the decision to buy one.

Yeah, retailers clearly aren't happy with it. The ASDA near me doesn't even sell the WiiU and the Sainsburys close by only has a puny and insignificant amount of shelf space for it. In fact, it's part of the Wii section, but on the bottom shelf.

Nintendo clearly made errors with the 3DS launch and they have made arguably worse one with the WiiU. Some would argue that the price drop prices from ASDA and HMV (250 and 199) should have been the RRP of the system to start with. I paid 180 for my Wii at launch. Going higher than 230 is pushing it, imo. 199 is only a steal when you consider the prices that came before it. It's still 20 quid more than a Wii at launch.

Thing is, how much do Nintendo make roughly per game? I know it was like a one game attach rate would equal profit, but that's still not them taking enough of a risk to show faith in their own product! They're minted from the Wii, they really needed to take a hit on the wii u hardware to get it selling(look at the 3DS) - maybe profit for them after 3 or 4 game sales. There's two sides to it though, it's a valid way to make a decent bit of money by pricing higher than you really want to and letting the demand take care of some slow sales; then as was seen with the 3DS drop the price and get the others. In itself, the illusion of saving money/getting a bargain can do powerful things to sell the console. It's cynical, but I wonder if that's what they were anticipating also.

well damn, the HMV near me closed forever on Friday so i've missed out getting one for myself.

Went to HMV in Birmingham today, they only had one left and it was faulty. Nooooooooo.

Just picked up a Wii U at HMV :D

It was a second shipment as well so if anyone has missed out on the £199 deal then keep checking because it looks like the deal wasn't just to clear current stock!

I'm gonna check HMV Oxford Street in a second. I'll let you guys know if they have any systems in stock there.

[edit]

Sorry guys, couldn't make it there to check.

Edited by Guy

I've rung up the HMV in Bournemouth and Southampton. Bournemouth only had the Wii U basic package and were selling it off for £179. Southampton also had the basic package, except it was priced at £249.

Great deals. NOOOOOOT!

(I made myself laugh there)

That's...peculiar. Are they stores that are due to close? I'd imagine they might no restock those due for closure.

No, these are the stores that are staying open. The one that is closing down around here doesn't even have anything WiiU related in it.

Then it seems very strange they've got different stocks at different prices! No wonder they're going out of business...