NEurope
Retro_Link

Bayonetta 2

Seeing this article over on Kotaku doesn't surprise me at all. If there are two places on the internet where the communities are infested with dickheads it's N4G and Kotaku. At the former it's all Sony fanboys and at the later you're not part of the in crowd if you don't hate Nintendo.

Kotaku does it again with "So then, what, Bayonetta 2 added the Wii U and lost the PS3 and 360 as platforms? OK." from article "Bayonetta 2 Going to Wii U Isn’t a Platform Change, from Its Creator’s Certain Point of View". So much over the top rage over this.

There's a bit of an interesting part of this whole debate. I agree that those consistantly whining about it are being a little pathetic, but so are those who are keen to make sure to chat down their concerns with the "LOL, BUT NINTENDO REVIVED IT, IT WASN'T GONNA HAPPEN, GET OVER IT STUPID FANBOY SCUM XD", despite the irony of the whole thing.

This has happened many times with franchises over the years and each time, as you would expect, people are slightly annoyed that their platform of choice isn't being supported. The online communities I've visited and the friends I have who are fans of the franchise have been on about how good the franchise is for a good while and how much they'd love for a sequel to come out.

Of course, if you intended to get a Wii U, it's very easy to go "I don't care, I look forward to it!". But people who would like to stick to one system and were fans of it are damn right to feel a little bit cheesed. It's a product of what sort of industry the gaming industry is, the closed nature has people keen to save their money and stick to one console.

The thing that's pathetic on that side of the debate is the "if I can't play it, I'd rather nobody be able to play it" attitude some of the people are giving off. It's no longer a dead idea, it'll come out and at some point in the future if they ever feel like picking up a Wii U, they can snap the game up whenever they like.

But what's even more pathetic is the typical fanboy behaviour (Which happens on all 4 sides I'll add before some one gets a little butt frustrated) is the not very inconspicuous way of claiming it as a victory. Some people, yet again, keep talking about it only because Nintendo has picked it up and it's a Wii U exclusive so they can add it to their "arsenal of brand loyalty rationalisation".

This is not all of the Nintendo fans pleased with it. A good amount of people who prefer Nintendo products on the internet do not stick to one console, but of course, there are the die hards that do (and you can't deny their existence).

I just think it's a damn shame that the industry is as closed as it is and we're all still playing the exclusive card. I imagine at some point in the future this attitude of consoles being justified by exclusives is going to bottleneck the industry pretty fucking hard. I can only hope to continue that the day it happens hurries up. It'll be another crash, but it'll definitely be for the better.

There's a bit of an interesting part of this whole debate. I agree that those consistantly whining about it are being a little pathetic, but so are those who are keen to make sure to chat down their concerns with the "LOL, BUT NINTENDO REVIVED IT, IT WASN'T GONNA HAPPEN, GET OVER IT STUPID FANBOY SCUM XD", despite the irony of the whole thing.

This has happened many times with franchises over the years and each time, as you would expect, people are slightly annoyed that their platform of choice isn't being supported. The online communities I've visited and the friends I have who are fans of the franchise have been on about how good the franchise is for a good while and how much they'd love for a sequel to come out.

Of course, if you intended to get a Wii U, it's very easy to go "I don't care, I look forward to it!". But people who would like to stick to one system and were fans of it are damn right to feel a little bit cheesed. It's a product of what sort of industry the gaming industry is, the closed nature has people keen to save their money and stick to one console.

The thing that's pathetic on that side of the debate is the "if I can't play it, I'd rather nobody be able to play it" attitude some of the people are giving off. It's no longer a dead idea, it'll come out and at some point in the future if they ever feel like picking up a Wii U, they can snap the game up whenever they like.

But what's even more pathetic is the typical fanboy behaviour (Which happens on all 4 sides I'll add before some one gets a little butt frustrated) is the not very inconspicuous way of claiming it as a victory. Some people, yet again, keep talking about it only because Nintendo has picked it up and it's a Wii U exclusive so they can add it to their "arsenal of brand loyalty rationalisation".

This is not all of the Nintendo fans pleased with it. A good amount of people who prefer Nintendo products on the internet do not stick to one console, but of course, there are the die hards that do (and you can't deny their existence).

I just think it's a damn shame that the industry is as closed as it is and we're all still playing the exclusive card. I imagine at some point in the future this attitude of consoles being justified by exclusives is going to bottleneck the industry pretty fucking hard. I can only hope to continue that the day it happens hurries up. It'll be another crash, but it'll definitely be for the better.

Platinum have already stated that if Nintendo hadn't have stepped in then it simply wouldn't have been completed or published. So the choice is simply - Bayonetta on Wii U or no Bayonetta at all.

Since I've been playing games from the days of Game and Watch I've seen games go from being Nintendo exclusives to being Sony exclusives - just look at Mega Man or MGS. It happens - sometimes in the favour of Nintendo and sometimes in the favour of other companies.

I can imagine Sony fans were happy when Mega Man and MGS came to the PSOne. I was happy when Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest shifted to Nintendo platforms. There's nothing wrong with it, different manufacturers have to attract consumers to their platforms and one of the best ways to do that is by differentiating the content on the system. Fans of any system will always rage or rejoice as exclusives come and go.

But it doesn't change the fact that this isn't just a regular case of a developer tempting a franchise to 'switch sides' or buying out a timed exclusivity deal. It was either on the Wii U or it wasn't happening.

I also think it's funny that for a generation Sony and MS fans have laughed and crowed as the Wii missed out on multiplatform games - Nintendo fans and the Wii were the butt of a few jokes. All you have to do is read a selection of comments from the idiots at Kotaku or N4G, I'll paraphrase the main points -

- Nintendo doesn't have any core games!

- Every Wii game is shovelware!

- I was stick of standing around waggling a remote - that's for grandmas and toddlers!

Now the irony is that the same people who have spent the last generation mocking the Wii and Nintendo fans at every opportunity are now crying like scolded children because why? Oh, Nintendo rescued one of their beloved 'hardcore' games that was destined for oblivion and now it's going to be a Wii U exclusive?

I love it!

Platinum have already stated that if Nintendo hadn't have stepped in then it simply wouldn't have been completed or published. So the choice is simply - Bayonetta on Wii U or no Bayonetta at all.

Since I've been playing games from the days of Game and Watch I've seen games go from being Nintendo exclusives to being Sony exclusives - just look at Mega Man or MGS. It happens - sometimes in the favour of Nintendo and sometimes in the favour of other companies.

I can imagine Sony fans were happy when Mega Man and MGS came to the PSOne. I was happy when Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest shifted to Nintendo platforms. There's nothing wrong with it, different manufacturers have to attract consumers to their platforms and one of the best ways to do that is by differentiating the content on the system. Fans of any system will always rage or rejoice as exclusives come and go.

But it doesn't change the fact that this isn't just a regular case of a developer tempting a franchise to 'switch sides' or buying out a timed exclusivity deal. It was either on the Wii U or it wasn't happening.

I also think it's funny that for a generation Sony and MS fans have laughed and crowed as the Wii missed out on multiplatform games - Nintendo fans and the Wii were the butt of a few jokes. All you have to do is read a selection of comments from the idiots at Kotaku or N4G, I'll paraphrase the main points -

- Nintendo doesn't have any core games!

- Every Wii game is shovelware!

- I was stick of standing around waggling a remote - that's for grandmas and toddlers!

Now the irony is that the same people who have spent the last generation mocking the Wii and Nintendo fans at every opportunity are now crying like scolded children because why? Oh, Nintendo rescued one of their beloved 'hardcore' games that was destined for oblivion and now it's going to be a Wii U exclusive?

But like I said, on all sides it's not every one being a massive fanboy. It's the fanboyism I have a problem with, no matter what platform the silly bastard has their allegiance with.

Being happy with a franchise coming to your console of choice does not equal shouting about it as if it was some holy war and using it to one up the other who isn't as happy about it. Consoles are just fucking electronics man, it all looks stupid in my eyes.

It's also important that I reiterate this:

The thing that's pathetic on that side of the debate is the "if I can't play it, I'd rather nobody be able to play it" attitude some of the people are giving off.

This I can agree is pathetic. It's happening, which people should be happy about, because I also said:

It's no longer a dead idea, it'll come out and at some point in the future if they ever feel like picking up a Wii U, they can snap the game up whenever they like.

And your right, some of the MS crowd and Sony crowd have used those points as their Wii jokes and it's as I say, fanboyism is not my thing and I think it's stupid on all sides. But you can also look at what some of the Nintendo crowd generalised Microsoft's and Sony's offerings with:

-Brown and bloom shit

-Generic FPS #019292

-Gaylo

-Library of mostly Wii JRPG ports

It's all sides and it's all pathetic.

You also mention the irony of their core games argument smacking them in the face, but there's also irony in the Nintendo camp. Those 'brown and bloom' and 'generic FPS' games are all heading to Wii U and some Nintendo fans are touting that as a victory despite the fact most of them are ports of games the other camps have been able to play for a while now.

I love it!

And it's this behaviour that I have a problem with.

But like I said, on all sides it's not every one being a massive fanboy. It's the fanboyism I have a problem with, no matter what platform the silly bastard has their allegiance with.

Being happy with a franchise coming to your console of choice does not equal shouting about it as if it was some holy war and using it to one up the other who isn't as happy about it. Consoles are just fucking electronics man, it all looks stupid in my eyes.

But it's not just electronics to a lot of people - Nintendo is more than just an electronics company to me. I love them! I've always been a Nintendo gamer and will remain that way until either I die or Nintendo shut-up shop. I have so many happy memories playing with Nintendo games and a lot of them are specific to Nintendo and Nintendo only franchises. What's more these happy memories go through out my whole life!

Whether it was the initial feeling of triumph when I first beat Super Mario Bros, the Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart tournaments on the SNES, the 4 player Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Mario Kart on the N64 with a few beers and pizza as a teenager or in recent times the epic online games of COD and MH3 with the N-E crowd!

The people who make my car stereo, my DVD player and my TV are just electronics companies - Nintendo are a lot more, well to me anyway.

And your right, some of the MS crowd and Sony crowd have used those points as their Wii jokes and it's as I say, fanboyism is not my thing and I think it's stupid on all sides. But you can also look at what some of the Nintendo crowd generalised Microsoft's and Sony's offerings with:

-Brown and bloom shit

-Generic FPS #019292

-Gaylo

-Library of mostly Wii JRPG ports

It's all sides and it's all pathetic.

But I think you'll find there's far more sites on the internet that seem devoted to attacking Nintendo and their fans than there are sites where it happens the other way around. I've said this before in other threads - it seems that over the years it's become popular for a vocal minority of gamers to attack Nintendo - and it's been happening since the N64! Nintendo was a 'kiddy' console at first, then the term went to 'casual'.

You also mention the irony of their core games argument smacking them in the face, but there's also irony in the Nintendo camp. Those 'brown and bloom' and 'generic FPS' games are all heading to Wii U and some Nintendo fans are touting that as a victory despite the fact most of them are ports of games the other camps have been able to play for a while now.

Firstly - I'm a massive Wii FPS fan, as you'll probably know (most people on this board do). I welcome the FPS genre to Wii U as I welcomed it on Wii.

But I think you're missing the point to why I'm loving it. For the last generation I've seen countless comments referring to the Wii as 'kiddy' and 'casual' Endless threads have been made on forums about how the PS3 and the 360 are the only consoles that 'real' gamers use.

Now Nintendo rescue a 'core' franchise, fund it and release it on the Wii U these same people who have spent 6 years scoffing at the Wii and belittling Nintendo and their fans are up in arms and going beserk! It's hilarious. They complain that Nintendo doesn't cater for the 'core' gamer, Nintendo says 'OK - here's Bayonetta 2' and the go into a fit of rage and angst!

I love it!

Oh, how I love this too!

When dealing with children, you have to talk their language.

I rarely partake in discussions flooded with immature persons and their arguments, but sometimes I just need to vent myself.

Edited by are1981

But it's not just electronics to a lot of people - Nintendo is more than just an electronics company to me. I love them! I've always been a Nintendo gamer and will remain that way until either I die or Nintendo shut-up shop. I have so many happy memories playing with Nintendo games and a lot of them are specific to Nintendo and Nintendo only franchises. What's more these happy memories go through out my whole life!

Whether it was the initial feeling of triumph when I first beat Super Mario Bros, the Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart tournaments on the SNES, the 4 player Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Mario Kart on the N64 with a few beers and pizza as a teenager or in recent times the epic online games of COD and MH3 with the N-E crowd!

The people who make my car stereo, my DVD player and my TV are just electronics companies - Nintendo are a lot more, well to me anyway.

But I think you'll find there's far more sites on the internet that seem devoted to attacking Nintendo and their fans than there are sites where it happens the other way around. I've said this before in other threads - it seems that over the years it's become popular for a vocal minority of gamers to attack Nintendo - and it's been happening since the N64! Nintendo was a 'kiddy' console at first, then the term went to 'casual'.

Firstly - I'm a massive Wii FPS fan, as you'll probably know (most people on this board do). I welcome the FPS genre to Wii U as I welcomed it on Wii.

But I think you're missing the point to why I'm loving it. For the last generation I've seen countless comments referring to the Wii as 'kiddy' and 'casual' Endless threads have been made on forums about how the PS3 and the 360 are the only consoles that 'real' gamers use.

Now Nintendo rescue a 'core' franchise, fund it and release it on the Wii U these same people who have spent 6 years scoffing at the Wii and belittling Nintendo and their fans are up in arms and going beserk! It's hilarious. They complain that Nintendo doesn't cater for the 'core' gamer, Nintendo says 'OK - here's Bayonetta 2' and the go into a fit of rage and angst!

I think this is where we are having a massive disconnect. I like Nintendo, don't get me wrong, but I'm not really a brand loyalty kind of guy any more. Business is business, the games are good but there's a mutual exchange here. I give them money for my copy, business is done. Maybe if I had a company with an absolutely spotless corporate social responsibility record to be proud of, I would have a good deal of loyalty to Nintendo. That and it's important to note they have removed completely the one big aspect of why I used to love Nintendo handheld gaming: Region free.

I can understand your points of loyalty, but I personally don't partake in it, I think this is the major root of what we're debating here.

One note that I will make is that, although I didn't word this very well, my comments about Nintendo's fanboy base is aimed at no one here. I'm talking about a collective of the group of diehards that you can find throughout the internet. Much like the FPS analogy, I know there are people here who are fans of them (heck, I did love Red Steel despite some major hiccups with the controls), but it was quite a big view held by those die hards.

Although I don't completely agree with both sides of the Bayonetta debate, I will contribute one more example of why I think it's pathetic that so many people are whining about it. Despite the fact it's not on a system they are particularly interested in (it isn't just the 'black and white' situation some people are making it, but it is lagrely that), is that some are arguing that it's the price of entry that makes it infuriating.

Now, if this was a quarter of the way through the generation, I would agree. But I have no doubt in my mind that if Bayonetta 2 were to happen as intended, it wouldn't be 360 or PS3, it would happen on the next generation systems which kind of throws out their price of entry argument.

The people who are whining about the loss of the franchise are being very immature. I'd wager they're teenagers.

That said, a "cry moar" attitude is just as immature. I actually haven't seen this much from the Nintendo community, but then again, I only visit calm places.

The only reason I hear about the outrage of the 360/PS3 fans is because I see links to Kotaku and other similar sites, which are the lowest of the low, at any rate. I wouldn't be surprised to see certain Nintendo sites take the "neener neener" attitude.

The best we have to do is ignore both sides, as neither deserves the time of day. There are better, more level-headed communities than this.

Having finished Bayonetta 1 yesterday I can only hope they don't repeat the same mistake of constantly interrupting the amazing combat system with grading screens and excessive cutscenes... because if that's the case I just can't justify buying this game. As much as I loved the combat on the first one, it was by far the game I most hated in my entire life due to just how annoying it was.

For any PS3 owners wanting to play the original before this, Bayonetta goes up on PSN for £11.99 today.

Here's hoping Nintendo are doing whatever they can to get the same up on the Wii U eShop!

Edited by Retro_Link

Here's hoping Nintendo are doing whatever they can to get the same up on the Wii U eShop!

So they can charge us £39.99 for it?

Mega-bump!

I was on Shopto checking my pre-orders when I found...

Bayonetta2_Wii_UCover.png

Dat box-art!

Didn't think this had been posted yet - unless I missed it - so figured I'd share. :)

Umm, could be wrong but that looks like a place-holder gfx. Doesn't seem to follow Nintendo's recent covers in quality when you look at Pikmin, W101, G&Wario & Luigi U covers.

I suppose, still... if that does turn out to be the official box-art, I wouldn't complain! :)

Must play the first one soon, but there's something a little perverse about some of those pan shots (even by video game standards.)

I haven't got a clue what happened in that trailer :p I could barely make anything out!

I thought her hair was what gave her powers/abilities... and yet it's been cut off... does she have hair wings now or something?

That looked ridiculous... :blank:

... ridiculously good that is, oh yeah! :grin:

Bayonetta 2 is looking damn fine! :awesome:

Platinum Games Doesn't Dial It Back In Bayonetta 2

683293_20130611_790screen003.jpg

Bayonetta 2 offers more of the same action and ridiculous cutscenes that the first game introduced in 2009. It looks and feels like a true sequel, which should help silence the people who say the Wii U is incapable of producing high-quality games for the hardcore set.

The demo opens with Bayonetta (sporting a new, shorter hairdo) battling waves of enemies in a quick tutorial-style mission. It has been a few years since I played the first game, but it didn't take long to get back into the rhythm of combat. Like its predecessor, success depends on using combos, juggling, and dodging. The last part is particularly important, since perfectly timed dodges open up enemies to additional attacks. I saw a couple of the game's signature torture attacks, too. In one, an enemy was forced to run on a treadmill as a set of spikes spun menacingly behind him. Bayonetta loses patience and boots him through the chipper. In another, a giant bear trap is suspended by its chain from the sky. She launches her victim into the air, and that's that.

The battle waged from the tops of jet aircraft to a confrontation with a baby-faced angel on and around a speeding train. It was stupid, silly, and completely satisfying. Players who rely on button-mashing will quickly learn the error of their ways with that boss; its tentacles hit hard, slapping the top of the train with little warning. You'll need to learn to watch for tells and hit the roll button to evade.

I spent much of the time with the game watching the action on the GamePad's screen. It really looks amazing. It's also used in a touch-control mode, which is geared for novices who aren't used to these kinds of action games. There, players drag and swipe their way to victory. Personally, I'll do it the hard way.

Screens:

683293_20130611_790screen007.jpg

683293_20130611_790screen014.jpg

683293_20130611_790screen010.jpg

683293_20130611_790screen012.jpg

683293_20130611_790screen011.jpg

683293_20130611_790screen013.jpg

683293_20130610_790screen001.jpg

683293_20130611_790screen001.jpg

Edited by Dante

This looked god damn epic! i have no complaints other than the usual with the Wiiu why the delay/2014! get this out in the wild and let us have at her it

Watched the trailer on eShop and you see some highly impressive UE4 like particle effects... some nice ones in X2 as well.

This looked god damn epic! i have no complaints other than the usual with the Wiiu why the delay/2014! get this out in the wild and let us have at her it

It was never delayed.

i could have sworn they said it would be out next year when they first teased it last year