NEurope
Retro_Link

Bayonetta 2

Nintendo's downfall has to be marketting. Was there even any TV ads for this/these games? Releasing in Europe just before Halloween should have given plenty ways to advertise it round Halloween

I just think it's the system and the image. Not sure they can do much without an aggressive change in tactics and a competitive console next time around.

I'm playing the first one for the first time at the moment. I really don't know what to think about it. On the one hand, I do appreciate the effort they put into it and the fighting itself is alright but on the other, it just feels so random. I'm hating the Awards you get after each chapter, they really make me sad! I'm doing OK in battles (not good, but getting >= Silver for the most part), however, I also die 5+ times each chapter because there are no healing items whatsoever between battles and dodging is rather hit and miss for me.

And those Alfheim Challenges rooms - just... what the f...? I have no idea how to complete the ones with limited kicks and punches.

I'm tempted to just give up and go straight to 2 instead. I'm currently at the beginning of Chapter 6.

Edited by MindFreak

I'm playing the first one for the first time at the moment. I really don't know what to think about it. On the one hand, I do appreciate the effort they put into it and the fighting itself is alright but on the other, it just feels so random. I'm hating the Awards you get after each chapter, they really make me sad! I'm doing OK in battles (not good, but getting >= Silver for the most part), however, I also die 5+ times each chapter because there are no healing items whatsoever between battles and dodging is rather hit and miss for me.

And those Alfheim Challenges rooms - just... what the f...? I have no idea how to complete the ones with limited kicks and punches.

I'm tempted to just give up and go straight to 2 instead. I'm currently at the beginning of Chapter 6.

1) There are healing items! If you break open the benches, pots, statues and other scenery you will find them!

2) If you are finding the combat system difficult, move to easy mode - however go to the item screen and remove the item that makes it go on 'automatic mode'. If you don't remove that item you will just do all the combos automatically. This way, you have to do your own moves but you do them on easier enemies and at a slightly better pace.

3) The awards system: life and time are obvious, combo less so. Combo is built by chaining moves, as long as your combo is 'live' there are little move counters in the top right hand corner. The idea is, to keep the combo going as long as you can and get as many moves in as possible. That is where your guns come in. Between big moves and combos performed with kicks and punches, tap or hold Y to shoot. That will add to your combo and keep the move counter going thus extending your combo and building the multiplier.

4) Alfheim are tough. They are meant to be. They are totally optional and only open in Normal or above. To do the harder one involving limited kicks or punches, equip weapons like Shuruba, dodge to activate Witch Time then do a charge move - for example hold X and then fully charge your attack and unleash one mega attack per kick or punch. You will do them eventually, but they take time. Also, you don't have to do them, so come back later with special weapons and they are so much easier.

5) This game is tough. Just remember that, and getting the best medals is tougher still. Just try to enjoy it and drop the difficulty a little, learn the moves, the combo system and get to grips with Witch Time and when you've mastered it all and done a play through, go back to normal and you'll most likely get far more out of it that way.

After throwing the controller away in frustration in Chapter VI after dying to Grace and Glory 20+ times, I read something online: you can buy new combos and stuff... So I bought some new techniques before the next battle against Joy and a lot of enemies, and they went a lot better - I actually got an 8.8 combo score there.

I'm getting stone on every chapter, though, but I've come to a point where I don't care. I'm still getting Silver or above on each battle, but I have a hard time surviving from battle to battle.

Thanks for the tips, though!

Edited by MindFreak

I've finished Bayo 2!

Did it on 2nd Climax. I really can't stress enough how better 2 is to play. And I haven't even tried the online mode.

Which reminds me, @RedShell. Tomorrow, after Mario Kart, you fancy showing some angels and demons how two incredibly suggestive women dance?

I could use a few more tips to help buy a certain trinket that I'm sure you already own. And I heard money rolls in for duets.

In other words, want to play online tomorrow? Mind you, I've only unlocked one character. I'm sure you can guess who. So it'd be nice if you could keep the others a secret if possible.

Which reminds me, @RedShell. Tomorrow, after Mario Kart, you fancy showing some angels and demons how two incredibly suggestive women dance?

I could use a few more tips to help buy a certain trinket that I'm sure you already own. And I heard money rolls in for duets.

In other words, want to play online tomorrow? Mind you, I've only unlocked one character. I'm sure you can guess who. So it'd be nice if you could keep the others a secret if possible.

Sure I'm up for that. :)

Won't be on right after MK though, but at around 10. Will jump online then anyway, see if you're about.

: peace:

Just playing through the first game on normal - having the same continues issue as @MindFreak but I am only on level 3.

What/where are the darkened medals on the level summary screen - what am I missing on the levels?

Never got anything other than a stone award on a whole level despite getting a mix of bronze/silver/gold/platinum in the different sections that I play. Is my overall award bad because of the missed level parts or the use of continues?

Just playing through the first game on normal - having the same continues issue as @MindFreak but I am only on level 3.

What/where are the darkened medals on the level summary screen - what am I missing on the levels?

Never got anything other than a stone award on a whole level despite getting a mix of bronze/silver/gold/platinum in the different sections that I play. Is my overall award bad because of the missed level parts or the use of continues?

It's you use of continues letting you down, I'm pretty sure that if you continue more than 5 times then that's an instant stone regardless of your other medals, as for the blank spaces, you could be missing some of the optional Alfheim stages which you gain access to by going through those portals which are usually hidden away, or you could have missed a 'dead end' which leads to an item followed by a battle so my advice is to look everywhere. : peace:

Even I ended up missing a few things towards the end of Bayonetta 2 because I took a 'wrong turn' and ended up triggering a cutscene before I'd fully explored the area. :heh:

Not found any portals except the red ones for access to the shop. Weird.

They are very well hidden, here's a YouTube video of the PS3 version - in a spoiler box just in case :indeed: - I would recommend at least watching the locations of the first two which will give you an idea of how well hidden some of them are because they aren't anywhere near as instinctively placed as the ones in Bayonetta 2 are which are still reasonably well hidden, for instance looking at the video I don't even recall going to the first one perhaps not ever - it has been a few years since I played the Xbox 360 version - but definitely not when I played the Wii U version the other night so it has surprised me anyway. : peace:

Wow, they are well hidden.

Guess I will try and get a better medal before I play those though. :heh:

After you complete the game is there a level select, or should I have been keeping a save at the start of each?

Wow, they are well hidden.

Guess I will try and get a better medal before I play those though. :heh:

After you complete the game is there a level select, or should I have been keeping a save at the start of each?

If you press R at the beginning of a chapter, you'll find it. Along with costume select.

Loving Bayo2 even more than 1, level design (so far up to chapter 5) is so much better, especially the very first proper Chapter 1. So much bigger than the levels of Bayo1 and just encouraged exploration. Was easy to miss secret areas in Bayo1 as the levels seemed to encourage you to move forward and sometimes you'd have to go back after a verse to find a portal. in 2 areas feel open and appear to have choices, even though the "way forward" is set it feels much freer to explore. In the first Chapter in Naotun I found all the portals and about 8 Heart pieces I think, I didn't find my first heart piece n Bayo1 till like Chapter 5 I think :p

Not played the game yet unfortunately. :p Still need to play Bayonetta 1 first, too.

ВДУ♀ЛЕТТД 2

N-Europe Review

content-15-34169-wiiu_bayonetta2_scrn10_e3.jpg

: peace:

Hallelujah! Saints be praised! :bouncy: My Collectors Edition of Bayonetta 2 arrived today. Over 2 weeks late but at least it's here at last. I've more than done my bit to support this game. I bought the First Print Edition last night as well. Well I traded for it. It cost me Metroid Prime Trilogy. I've a few more copies left.

Thanks for the brilliant meaty review @S\.C\.G

Was the lack of clevage in Bayonetta's default costume the reason for Bayo2 getting a 16 age rating where Bayo1 got 18's? Was expecting when finishing up Bayo1 that maybe Nintendo made Platinum drop the use of teh F-bomb in dialogue but 8 chapters in and I think the f-bomb has been used even more so so far in Bayo2 :heh:

Was the lack of clevage in Bayonetta's default costume the reason for Bayo2 getting a 16 age rating where Bayo1 got 18's? Was expecting when finishing up Bayo1 that maybe Nintendo made Platinum drop the use of teh F-bomb in dialogue but 8 chapters in and I think the f-bomb has been used even more so so far in Bayo2 :heh:

I heard it was because of a certain torture attack omitted from the original. I seen it a while ago, I'll have a look for it.

This one.

Edited by Wii

Was the lack of clevage in Bayonetta's default costume the reason for Bayo2 getting a 16 age rating where Bayo1 got 18's?
That probably would have been the case back in the 90's. :heh:

But no, pretty sure it was this. That enemy/torture attack does not appear in Bayo 2, while everything else is pretty much on the same level as the original Bayonetta.

lol and that was one of my fav enemies and torture attacks in Bayo1 :heh:

Wait @Wii you traded in the Metroid Prime Trilogy!?

Why?

I have another 3 sealed copies. :p I was half cut when I made the decision and it was my only way of getting a First Print Edition. I think they're of similar value. The one I traded was my secondhand copy.

I have another 3 sealed copies. :p I was half cut when I made the decision and it was my only way of getting a First Print Edition. I think they're of similar value. The one I traded was my secondhand copy.

OK, this needs to be asked.

Why do you have 3?

I got a really, really, really good deal on them and I like collecting. Honestly, if I told you how much for them your jaw would hit the floor.

€15

I should really sell some of my double copies of some of the games. They'd make a pretty penny too.