NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Japanese Nintendo Direct Thread

So what do you guys think about the launch date? Will it launch in US/EU before Japan?

I reckon EU will be around the same, but US will be earlier to capitalise on Thanksgiving.

I don't know what a GPGPU is...

Basically it's a GPU that can perform CPU tasks. It's the major feature of Shader Model 5 and the biggest feature of today's fancy shmansy GPU cards.

It also means that the Wii U is architecturally more similar to PS4 and 720 than PS360 and also goes some way towards explaining why the PS360 ports don't look much better than they did previously (since they're not taking proper advantage of the Wii U's next gen capabilities)

It's a bit odd though since it seems that the Wii U is kinda lopsided in terms of design, with a really great fuck off GPU and a somewhat middling CPU (kinda like the SNES actually!) Seems that their strategy is to have the other chips inside the console (DSP for sound processing, ARM for input/output/video encoding & streaming to UPad, GPGPU to help general CPU functions) offload some of the functions off the CPU.

Of course, most 3rd party games aren't gonna be taking advantage of these functions yet since they're mostly just copy/pasting code from the PS360 - so you're not gonna see the benefits of this until at least the 2nd wave of titles - but it should make the Wii U easily capable of receiving PS4 and 720 downports.

UE4 being able to be run on Wii U (and according to supposed leaks from the UE4 support site, already is running on Wii U), is more evidence of this too. Specs shouldn't be a problem in terms of 3rd party support...

Edited by Dcubed

Are the colours definately tied to the SKU bundle you get?

As some have said 8GB would be enough for me and I got a lot of SD cards/USB HDD's that I could use with it to increase that if I needed anyway.

And if that "Nintendo Network Service" isn't a subscription thing (phew, when I saw it I got all worried Nintendo were gonna start charging for online) and only gives you disounts on downloaded games then I'll be fine without it as I'd prefer to have the Discs myself. (And in all honesty download games should be cheaper as standard not for a limited time to a select few)

But damn I WANT a Black WiiU....if the colours are tied to the SKUs I may end up spending extra just for the colour :heh:

To have it look all and and tidy with my black TV, black BluRay Player, Black Skybox .... I got a White Wii on it'[s day one and ended up getting a Black skin sticker for it to blend it in with everything else :heh:

Doesn't make up for eschewing the Wiimoteplus/Nunchuck from the box though. Say goodbye to any and all 3rd party support for the Wiimote :(

I thought I saw him mention a Wiimote and sensor bar during the conference, was while talking about the Premium SKU, I thought he was saying they were also in the Premium bundle?

But then again I don't understand Japanese at all so may have made it up...but I did see a Wiimote and Sensor bar mentioned...didn't I?

I was toying with which colour to get, but if it's basically black = premium and white = budget I'll be going black by default!

I thought I saw him mention a Wiimote and sensor bar during the conference, was while talking about the Premium SKU, I thought he was saying they were also in the Premium bundle?

But then again I don't understand Japanese at all so may have made it up...but I did see a Wiimote and Sensor bar mentioned...didn't I?

He's talking about a Wiimote/Nunchuck/Sensor Bar pack that is being sold separately for people who don't own them. It does not come in the box :(

I assumed that was saying that they're redistributing Wiimote+'s and Nunchucks with those new colours and prices to coincide with Wii U. Don't remember any sensor bar bit, but if there is indeed not one bundled with Wii U then I imagine they're announcing they're selling those separately too.

I'm watching idiots across the Internet with this. Dear god, some are bitching...they're using direct conversions to claim it'll be too much in America. I saw one person who said it shouldn't be over 100€.

We need to start implementing IQ tests before internet access is given

Haha, I wanted the white but I also want the 32GB version T_T. Will wait and see what happens at the EU Nintendo Direct.

Man that controller separate is more expensive than I thought it would be...

If it does stay at half the price of the console, we could be looking at a price of $124.99 or £89.99 elsewhere...

I wonder how costly it is for them to manufacture (If it's anywhere close to that, then they must've really struggled to keep those console costs down - that's a seriously impressive price for the console in that case!)

Could they be losing money on the cheapest SKU perhaps? (might be why they've come out with that loyalty scheme to try and encourage them to buy the SKU that they actually profit off!)

Edited by Dcubed

I'm watching idiots across the Internet with this. Dear god, some are bitching...they're using direct conversions to claim it'll be too much in America. I saw one person who said it shouldn't be over 100€.

We need to start implementing IQ tests before internet access is given

It's just that new-gen smell.

Oh, I'm quite relieved that all VC/WiiWare games can be carried over. There was really no excuse for it not to be the case, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident it would happen.

Oh, I'm quite relieved that all VC/WiiWare games can be carried over. There was really no excuse for it not to be the case, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident it would happen.

That was announced back at E3 2012... We've known about the transfers for months :p

That was announced back at E3 2012... We've known about the transfers for months :p

I remember it being made as a vague, almost off-hand promise. I bit like 'downloadable Gamecube games'.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.

Chances are, in America, it'll be $250 base model, $320 premium

Keep seeing people doing direct conversions and saying "Nintendo is doomed" -_-

Aww, I only had the internet installed and ready half way through the Direct so I missed out on the tradition.

Every video game company is doomed during their streams dude, didn't you know? I had a good deal of fun with that troll bait during the last few Directs but the E3 one just had a crazy amount of suckers ready to argue.

Aww, I only had the internet installed and ready half way through the Direct so I missed out on the tradition.

Every video game company is doomed during their streams dude, didn't you know? I had a good deal of fun with that troll bait during the last few Directs but the E3 one just had a crazy amount of suckers ready to argue.

There's no kind of doomed that's better than Nintendoomed though! Any Nintendo related event brings the crazies out of the woodwork like nothing else!

I cant believe im gonna miss the european one i start work at 2 and dont finish till 11 so i miss all off it lol. hopefully the nintendo direct will still be on the site when i get home?

Also did anyone notice that the HUD clutter example looks suspiciously like Monster Hunter? (specifically Monster Hunter 3G)

Mw02e.png

Whether or not it's actually indicative of a Monster Hunter Wii U game incoming, it's still a sneaky move... ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Also did anyone notice that the HUD clutter example looks suspiciously like Monster Hunter? (specifically Monster Hunter 3G)

Mw02e.png

Whether or not it's actually indicative of a Monster Hunter Wii U game incoming, it's still a sneaky move... ;)

Honestly wouldn't surprise me. Remember when they essentially used ZombiU as part of the Miiverse unveiling before E3?

Mw02e.png

Don't do this to me, man......

I'd actually like the health and stuff to move to the GamePad, too. With visual clues for low health instead. No on-screen HUD would be great.

Seriously. Stop looking at website comments and "idiot" forums. It's not good for your health! :shakehead

But I can't let idiocy survive...I have an issue that stops it :/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-13-nintendo-details-wii-u-basic-and-premium-flavours-prices#comments

The idiots. Some think there's only one game coming at launch, others are saying it's "far too expensive"

What the fuck is wrong with people

Only one game at launch? Yeah, you've gotta be pretty retarded to believe that.

Expensive? Subjective. You can't really call out some one for being an idiot because of their views on price, especially considering that most of the world is going through a double dip recession and suffering a major squeeze on every day necessities like gas and electricity.

If we were still in 2007, then they'd be retarded, because a lot of people would see that price and think its an absolute steal.

But I can't let idiocy survive...I have an issue that stops it :/

They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Some people are just beyond saving ::shrug: Besides, their memory spans are so short that they'll probably forget about it in 4 hours time anyway when the real price/date info comes out (shame on Eurogamer for purposely misleading people though by putting up direct currency conversions though)