NEurope
Hamishmash

Wreck-It Ralph

Goin to see this today, bringing the son for his first cinema trip too :D

Hopefully he doesn't start crying or makin noise during it, he's usually quite watching films at home anyway.

Booked for the early show at 10.30am anyway so hopefully not too many others will be there

EDIT

And BACK

LOVED IT, absaloutely amazing. The next Toy Story :D

Firstly on the Paperman short film before it. That was just beautiful, the animation was brilliant and the musical score was spot on. I was grinning from ear to ear watching that :D

And then Ralph, I was expecting to enjoy it but wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it that much, but I did.

Oisín enjoyed it too, didn't make any noise in teh cinema either once the film started he was glued to the screen. Was great too when a few characters he recognised came on. Like when he saw Bowser he said "oh no Daddy, Mario Monster there" and when he saw Sonic, "Sonic Yay", haha.

As for the film, beyond my expectations. I thought the main draw was gonna be the cameos with little depth to the actual story.

Was very surprised by the few little emotional moments, especially at the end.

Like when they built the car, don't know why but Vanellope's reaction just hit a cord with me....and again when Ralph broke it later.

And of course Ralphs ending speech, so directed at parents and dads in general so as a father that was a near "Toy Story 3" level of holding it in for me :D

Also with regards the story was not expecting the whole "Vanellope is a glitch" thing. I knew from the trailers she was some sort of outcast in her game, but I just assumed maybe she was a character that was never picked by players and other characters in the game just made fun of her because of that or something.

And somehow I didn't even see the twist with King Candy coming either, not until it happened. Even though it should have been obvious. I think the film just did a great job of keeping your attention that you didn't have time to think about working out any twists before they happened

Oh and the MGS reference with the ! was just awesome :D As were all the cameos, wish it could have been longer to cram more into it.

Really hope they do a 2nd one and hope they find a way to get Mario and Luigi into it, maybe even Link somehow too.

Would have been nice to see some other game worlds too, so hopefully they do that in the sequel. Like some actual game worlds. Would love to see Ralph jump into the Mushroom Kingdom for example.

Loved the film, as I said it'll prolly be the next Toy Story (and should be), so glad that I chose this to me my sons first cinema trip too.

Was thinking of importing the US Bluray which is out soon.... then I realised it not Region Free :mad:

The digital download is now available in America, and has been for four days (otherwise known as 'four days after the film got a theatrical release in the UK'. Bloody Disney).

I still have to go and see this! Bloody Jim and his illness.

I hope they keep playing it for a while, otherwise I won't be happy if I miss out on this. =(

I was expecting to enjoy this a lot. I was not, however, expecting it to be so good. The main characters were good enough that it made sense to have the others in the background (now I've seen it...I don't want Mario to have a big part in the next one). That's not to say I didn't like the cameos - I loved them (my favourites were probably the unexpected ! and "Sonic Sez", but there were loads), as well as seeing them in the background (Peach and Daisy with Chun-Li, Sonic losing his rings when that space ship hit him, Dug Dig digging to get away from Ralph).

The story was much more emotional than I was expecting, too. I was also expecting Sugar Rush to be a lot duller than it turned out to be - King Candy unexpectedly brilliant (and that twist - it was so obvious yet came out of nowhere). I also didn't realise who it was until the end - the cast was great. The romance plot was a bit odd, but that's my only complaint. The credits were also brilliant.

Was thinking of importing the US Bluray which is out soon.... then I realised it not Region Free :mad:

Disney films usually are - I have The Lion King and Finding Nemo. It's an optional thing (Fox use it), but they usually put a region on the box/info anyway.

Still, if it's not 100% then there are sites which will let you know once someone has tried it.

Oisín enjoyed it too, didn't make any noise in teh cinema either once the film started he was glued to the screen. Was great too when a few characters he recognised came on. Like when he saw Bowser he said "oh no Daddy, Mario Monster there" and when he saw Sonic, "Sonic Yay", haha.

As for the film, beyond my expectations. I thought the main draw was gonna be the cameos with little depth to the actual story.

Was very surprised by the few little emotional moments, especially at the end.

Daw, that's so cute I want to vomit. :)

Also by "emotional bits at the end" you mean this goddamn scene that snuck up don't you?

tumblr_mi4z61Fgvp1qe3p9bo4_250.gif

I came *this* close to crying. Crying like a gin-soaked whore.

She was very much the hero of the movie for me.

I was pretty impressed by this movie. Like most positive responses here I expected to like it for cameos and comedy but it was actually very tightly written and constructed.

Another thing: the non-gaming product placement.

I absolutely loved it, and I usually hate it. They made perfect sense in the context of the film and actually enhanced the film.

The "ORAREO" chanting sounded like normal chanting and then you saw the Oreos and realised what they were chanting. That was brilliant. The "Nesquik" sand wasn't as brilliant but was still funny.

And the Mentos and Coke. It's quite an important part of the story, and it simply wouldn't work without the branding - everyone knows the violent reaction they make.

Another thing: the non-gaming product placement.

The "ORAREO" chanting sounded like normal chanting and then you saw the Oreos and realised what they were chanting. That was brilliant. The "Nesquik" sand wasn't as brilliant but was still funny.

It is also a Wizard of Oz reference. :)

Saw this again for the second time, still loved it. :grin: A genuine surprise of last year at how good it is. From the trailer I was worried but i'm glad I got that shock as it's actually a well crafted story with enjoyable characters. :D

I really liked this film. I assume we'll be getting sequels, so I can't wait to see where those will go!

I got to watch this again :D Still loved it.

Gotta say I really liked how they didn't go fully "modern" with all the cameos and references.

Like it wa mostly retro stuff.

Like with Street Fighter in the arcade, they could have easily tried to be more "current" and put Street Fighter 4 in there but instead it was SF2 :D

And how most of the "main" cameos were retro types too that no "average" "grew up on playstation" kids would have gotten.

Stuff like Neff from Altered Beast, Tapper, the Beholder, Dig Dug, and others.

They could have easily gone with some more recent characters that more people would recognise, but I very much appriciated that they kept it more "retro".

I think I saw in Game Central station a few army soliders which could have reference to CoD, and almost certain I saw Drake from Uncharted but you'd have to be looking for them easy to miss. And of course a few random basketball and football players which could have just been generic references rather than specific to anything FIFA or NBA2K.

And while Hero's Duty seemed to be based on Halo in the suits I loved that it was more a reference to Aliens :D

But the best one has to have been the NES controller. They could have so easily put a Playstation controller in there which would be what most "non-gamers" would think of as representitive of game controllers these days. I don't think any of the kids in the cinema when I saw it even knew it was a real controller :heh:

And the icing on the cake of the Konami Code being used :awesome:

Also when "Turbo" was first mentioned what was everyone elses first thoughts when 1st watching that?

When M. Bison first said that to Ralph I thought it was some sort of reference to "Street Fighter 2 Turbo" and was trying to figure out for ages what relevence it would have to Ralph wanting to not be the bad guy for once :heh:

EDIT

Oh and did anyone stay for teh after credits?

Tis only a small thing

Not a hidden scene but still pretty cool.

For those that don't know it was...

After the credits finish teh Disney Castle/Fireworks logo comes back up but then the "game crashes" with the screen frozen and glitched

Nice little last laugh :D

At first i though the 'Turbo' reference was some obscure thing about games becoming shit when the name 'turbo' is added to the end. Yeah it didn't make sense in my mind either. Glad they went with the guy actually being called Turbo.

There's something that's been bothering me since I saw the movie. Why were Sonic characters there? Everyone else made sense, because they have arcade games available that, in theory, could have been connected to the power hub.

Does modern Sonic have an arcade presence I don't know about?

[edit]

Right. They did they homework - there was a Sonic the Fighters cabinet in the arcade.

That raises another question. How the hell did that pile of crap stick around for so many years?

Edited by Guy

The "twists" were also brilliantly done

We had the Turbo one. He's mentioned early on, then we get an explanation of who he was and what happened and later on, we get this nicely foreshadowed twist which makes perfect sense.

Also, the bugs "absorbing" what they eat didn't seem like an important plot point to start with. It just looked cool and seemed like the kind of thing that would be in a video game. Then they use this already-existing trait for when the main villain gets "eaten" and absorbed.

Then the beacon. A great set-up that fitted in really well with the "virus" nature of the bugs. It created a sense of danger. Then they showed us the Coke and Mentos thing, and how it was like lava, in a big tower like volcano. When they first mentioned the reset I thought we were getting some lame ending where Vanellope passes the finish line just in time, instantly fixing the "bugs". I'm glad this wasn't the case.

The only twist that came out of nowhere (but not entirely) was the princess thing, but made sense when you consider King Candy trying to remove her from the game. I also like how it did come out of nowhere and reminded me of Wind Waker. A nice joke about the number of princesses.

Essentially: the twists were brilliant because they were actually foreshadowed, fit in very nicely with stuff established in the film and made perfect sense. Much better than "oh, and this is the case" or needing flashbacks to explain the twist (or simply not making any sense).

@Guy Based on the Sonic the Fighters thing, I'm presuming that there must be a Mario Kart GP in the arcade somewhere.

Edit: It must be Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, as Daisy had a cameo appearance in the second GP but not the first.

Edited by Cube

@Guy Based on the Sonic the Fighters thing, I'm presuming that there must be a Mario Kart GP in the arcade somewhere.

Edit: It must be Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, as Daisy had a cameo appearance in the second GP but not the first.

Yeah, that has to be it. It's just frustrating they went down the modern route for Sonic instead of the classic one. I figure that was SEGA's licensing department/common sense marketing though. No kids would appreciate the old Eggman design being used over the newer one.

Definitely think it was Mario Kart GP that provided all the Mario characters. That would definitely account for the modern look for them all.

Overall the writing for the movie was extremely good. It hit all the right notes and the twists were genuinely exciting and fun. I just wish they'd paid more attention to some of the cameo details to make super geeks like me happy.

Edited by Guy

Finally watched it. Great stuff. Good writing, well done cameos that don't bog down the film nor get in its way. This is pretty much one of the only times I genuinely want to see a sequel.

God, I loved seeing the space marine's AI walking against the wall

:laughing: That was amazing. The residents' chunky animations were great, too.

The Turbo twist was brilliant. Since we only ever see him as a sprite, and the flashback scene is brief, it never really registers that the actual character can come back. If they had shown his CGI self, it would immediately give it away. Major props for managing to show a creepy-looking albino and not telegraphing that he's the villain.

(Also, I thought it was more than obvious that "The Flood" and the Mentos would be part of the movie's climax. That eruption was just waiting to happen.)

It pretty much confirms what I was suspecting: in 2012, Disney and Pixar switched roles. Pixar made a princess movie while Disney made a great film out of a quirky concept (it's pretty much Toy Story meets Monsters Inc.)

I have finally seen it. :D

The little "short" Paperman was fantastic! Art style was beautiful...I would happily go and see a whole film based around that. Was wonderful.

:D

Film itself was really great. I imagine there's a ton of stuff I'll find the second time around, like little touches. They used the popular video game characters well, I loved Zangief's part. :P

King Candy's part reminded me of Roger Rabbit for some reason. I think I saw somebody mention that in this thread earlier? Every line of his had me in giggles. Fix it Felix Jnr's character was also one I enjoyed watching, although he seemed to get camper as the film went on. He reminded me of Ken in Toy Story 3. :laughing:

Wouldn't mind going to see this again. It felt more "Pixar" than Disney to me, but I can dig that as I love both. Moar please.

I think I mentioned the Roger Rabbit, just couldn't get it out of my head. Though as Ashley said he's actually voiced by Alan Tudyk. A few people have mentioned the big twist, some saying it was obvious! I never saw it coming for a second, I think Jonnas did a good job of summing it up in his post. I start to wish I'd gone and seen this again every time I read this thread!

A few people have mentioned the big twist, some saying it was obvious!

Most people that mentioned it was obvious also said they never saw it coming. If you think about all factors once it's revealed, it makes so much sense that it should have been obvious - which is what makes it a good twist.

I think I mentioned the Roger Rabbit, just couldn't get it out of my head. Though as Ashley said he's actually voiced by Alan Tudyk.

I thought he sounded like the Mad Hatter from Alice and Wonderland when I first watched it and it turns out Alan Tudyk based his voice on Ed Wynn the actor who played the Mad Hatter. I was pleased with myself there. :)