NEurope
Hamishmash

Wreck-It Ralph

They're going to properly work Mario into Wreck-It Ralph 2, though.

One thing that would be interesting to do: give Mario and Sonic exactly the same screen time.

Is this out in the UK already?

Its not out here till next week I think :(

They're going to properly work Mario into Wreck-It Ralph 2, though.

One thing that would be interesting to do: give Mario and Sonic exactly the same screen time.

It would be Who Framed Roger Rabbit all over again. Bugs and Mickey are on the screen for the same amount of frames!

Sonic was forced in there pretty much, can't see why they couldn't with Mario. He was name dropped at one point.

Sonic was forced in there pretty much, can't see why they couldn't with Mario. He was name dropped at one point.

It doesn't seem clear if it's the producers or Nintendo who only wanted Mario if it was a significant role.

It would be Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Funny you mention Roger Rabbit, for some reason that's all I could think of when I heard King Candy's voice!

I didn't even realise King Candy was played by Alan Tudyk until the credits.

Just saw this last night, thought it was great, would have liked to see more of the existing game worlds, but all in all, a great story.

I went to a screening of this at the BFI with the director and Sarah Silverman Q & A. She was hilarious as always (when a kid said "I loved you in School of Rock" she said "Hell yeah, and how right was I? I needed that rent money!")

They said that Nintendo really wanted them to put Mario in but he needed to have a good moment and deserved more than a cameo. When it became clearer that they were possibly making a sequel, they decided to give him a bigger moment there. Nintendo apparently also wanted Pikachu but they thought Pokémon was bigger than video games.

Nintendo was very happy with Bowser being in the film and wanted lots more. But I'm glad the film only puts those characters in cameos... the 4 leads are perfect in their own right (are are basically Mario, Donkey Kong and Samus anyway)

Man I wish I could have gone to that.

Edited by Ashley

Thery have to make a sequal :) a deserved one too

Its out on blue ray on the 5th of march in america, i have pre orderd a copy

I hate how that one poster for this movie has Ralph surrounded by a bunch of classic gaming characters. Unfortunately I also understand how necessary this type of marketing is these days, but it's so awesome to hear the original movie characters shine brightly. Really looking forward to seeing it.

I got bored in the middle but it came back pretty strong. I hate how everyone in his game gets pissed off with Ralph and that doesn't change right until the end - really weird lack of character development. The bit where he smashes up the car (I'm being super vague on purpose) is pretty heartbreaking. Definitely one of the better Disney Animations but to be honest, doesn't come anywhere near Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Now that's a brilliant film.

Just saw this last night, thought it was great, would have liked to see more of the existing game worlds, but all in all, a great story.

Do you mean existing game worlds as in those that are...currently in existence(as I first read your post), or more in world of the fictional ones? I'd certainly have liked to see more game trope sort of stuff thrown in - but that's just me, not necessarily going to be fantastic cinema.

Just back from the cinema..

IT WAS BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!

I was in tears when Ralph destroyed the car so heartbreaking, it's up their with Toy Story 3 as best animated movie ever.

Have to go see it again :D

I was in tears when Ralph destroyed the car so heartbreaking, it's up their with Toy Story 3 as best animated movie ever.

Seriously?

I thought it was an alright movie, but it's no where near some of Pixar's stuff.

Seriously?

I thought it was an alright movie, but it's no where near some of Pixar's stuff.

It's right up there with Pixar IMO.

All the ads before it was for dreamwork movies and they all looked the same lol, I really don't rate dreamworks at all

Pixar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Disney

However, I really fucking loved this. Definitely my favourite Disney movie. A solid solid 8, near nine for me. Just awesome. Its refreshing to have a Disney film that doesn't have annoying voice acting.

It's true, their choices in voice actors felt oddly...non-attention seeking.

Yes Ponyo dub, I'm looking at you.

Went to see this this morning, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable with a surprisingly thought provoking moral to chew on. I thought they handled all the character cameos well by getting them out of the way quick and getting on and whoever made the call to animate the tower residents the way they did deserves a promotion. If I've got one complaint I felt like the movie focused on the wrong character. Ralph is a fine enough protagonist but the every-man schtick is less interesting then everything else happening around it. Vanellope is very much the Han Solo to Ralph's Luke Skywalker, and I left the film wishing it'd just been about her from the very beginning.

The other thought I had was related to the Paperman short shown just before. I've seen it before but it got me thinking how rare it is for anyone to make family films about adults. I feel like a lot of films are made where the characters are ostensibly 18 or so but present as if 15 and under, and it was particularly refreshing being shown next to a film like Wreck-It-Ralph. I hope someone takes a swing at something like it in the mainstream arena.

Edited by gaggle64

whoever made the call to animate the tower residents the way they did deserves a promotion.

Got to agree with that.

See, that's what I felt jarring. The nerdy side of me appreciated it, but it just clashed with everything else.

Alas, not a big issue.

It started off strong, it lagged in the middle and ended well.

I think your main problem was sugar rush...Not the best setting in my opinion.

Probably a better idea to have Ralph fight those game aliens( ?) in a few different settings and ended it with sugar rush.

At times the film was wacky like cloudy with a chance of meatballs but sometimes pixarish like toy story.. so what we got was an awkward mix of both at times.

also that "duty" joke fell right on its arse. That only works in the US.

It's not perfect but I did really enjoy it.

I agree about the Sugar Rush setting. I thought they could have had more of a variety of settings in the film, made it a bit more interesting, but i suppose that's something else for the sequel?

Otherwise i thought it was a great film - a bit slow to get going, but it gathered pace nicely, and finished badassly. 8/10 is a score i would give it.

The Dreamworks trailers did fall a bit flat (although the Croods did look.......ok.....apart from dat name), although i don't think aaaaall Dreamworks films are bad. Megamind is one of my all-time favourite animated films, and How to Train Your Dragon is good (and Shrek obviously).