NEurope
Hero-of-Time

EU Nintendo Direct 13th September 3pm

Anyone else think NintendoLand will be installed on the Wii U already rather than given as a disc?

Anyone else think NintendoLand will be installed on the Wii U already rather than given as a disc?

Hopefully not! I like my boxed goods.

Nah. People would get annoyed about having flash space being wasted ("I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 8GB/32GB?!?!?!") and it would complicate the manufacturing process since they'd have to manufacture a different set of Wii Us that have the game installed on it. Just making one set of Wii Us and chucking a disc in the box is much easier when manufacturing.

Plus having it on a physical disc adds legitimacy to the package.

Anyone going digital since they are giving out 10% discounts with the premium SKU? Will depend on the game and price for me but the 10% might make it so there isn't a huge difference in cost.

If it's anything like the 3DS pricing, I'm not sure 10% will be enough!

Well it's still 10% for DLC and download only titles so

Will depend on the game and price for me

I'm in the same boat, although I will hopefully make the most of this discount and whatever future offers come our way. I won't be going totally digital though.

I look forward to seeing what fresh, new & intuitive gameplay ideas make their way onto the eShop.

Here are my 5 cents/pence/öre

1) Is the memory expandable? So if I buy a basic system, will I be able to buy bigger memory later on? Becaus to me, the black version has very little to offer. It's got Nintendoland (which, in case I'll get it, will probably be smashed with a hammer on Youtube after my first play).

2) Platinum games. I appreciate the effort. But seriously? No MGS Reverencerehungehuh? But instead we get an exclusive sequel to a Devil May Cry clone that noone bought three years ago? And another game which has my european sales forecast right in the title: 101 copies.

3) Why the f**k have Nintendo dedicated HALF the RAM towards apps, operating systems and other s**t that I don't even want to have on my game system. Hopefully Nintendo will fix this with a patch.

4) Nintendo, Y U no games? Seriously, after the disaster of epic proportions which was this years E3 (and last years E3 as well for that matter), I expected Nintendo to have learned. Instead they showed nothing more than a teaser of a potentially passable game that wasn't present at E3.

Here are my 5 cents/pence/öre

1) Is the memory expandable? So if I buy a basic system, will I be able to buy bigger memory later on? Becaus to me, the black version has very little to offer. It's got Nintendoland (which, in case I'll get it, will probably be smashed with a hammer on Youtube after my first play).

2) Platinum games. I appreciate the effort. But seriously? No MGS Reverencerehungehuh? But instead we get an exclusive sequel to a Devil May Cry clone that noone bought three years ago? And another game which has my european sales forecast right in the title: 101 copies.

3) Why the f**k have Nintendo dedicated HALF the RAM towards apps, operating systems and other s**t that I don't even want to have on my game system. Hopefully Nintendo will fix this with a patch.

4) Nintendo, Y U no games? Seriously, after the disaster of epic proportions which was this years E3 (and last years E3 as well for that matter), I expected Nintendo to have learned. Instead they showed nothing more than a teaser of a potentially passable game that wasn't present at E3.

1. Yes. You can use any SD card and/or external hard drive to do it.

2. Games such as that are no doubt coming

3. Becuase it needs it. Even half the RAM total is over double what the current gen have

4. This is LAUNCH WINDOW stuff. They have two first party games coming at it, with several more in launch window and they're publishing more. This thing was to detail the releases for launch, not for stuff this time next year, that's what E3 is for next year

Hmm, a bit disappointed to be honest. Release date is great, but aside from ZombiU, (maybe) there is nothing at all on the system that is worth paying over 200 quid for. I was hoping we'd get some indication of other games being within the launch window, but not even having Pikmin on release is poor, imo. N64 had Super Mario 64, Wii had Twilight Princess. What does WiiU get? Another NSMB.

Also, I can't be bothered with all this price checking bollocks. I was nailed on getting one of these before the E3 conference, but Nintendo have somehow managed to make a mess of this. Can't believe just how un-interested I am about all of this.

Bayonetta was critically acclaimed, so you should be happy they're releasing the sequel to a good game. :p

Pachter had a few things to say:

I think Nintendo is pricing right, will capitalize on fervent fans who will buy at this price. 2013 alternatives become pretty compelling

I expect global manufacturing of 1 million Wii U's per month, starting now. That means 7 million produced and shipped through March.

Its going to break records. I am pretty sure of that. It will be Wii all over again.

For me its not an interesting enough system and the price definitely hurts it. It just feels like Nintendo are trying to find ways to give us less and charge much more.

1. Yes. You can use any SD card and/or external hard drive to do it.

Good. Guess I'll be getting the Basic pack, just to reduce sales of Nintendoland.

2. Games such as that are no doubt coming

There's reason for doubt. There's nothing preventing Konami from earning a quick buck by bringing out the MGS HD collection for the Wii (not in HD of course). But they won't. There never was anything preventing Rockstar from releasing the PS2 GTA games for the Wii. But they never did.

3. Becuase it needs it. Even half the RAM total is over double what the current gen have

So what? The Wii U is supposed to be a next gen system. The PS4 and Xbox 720 are going to be even more powerful than the Wii U. And then it won't be very bright to waste half the RAM on something that might be worth no more than 10% of the RAM.

4. This is LAUNCH WINDOW stuff. They have two first party games coming at it, with several more in launch window and they're publishing more. This thing was to detail the releases for launch, not for stuff this time next year, that's what E3 is for next year

The launch window is very uninterresting. I'm considering to buy ZombiU and Pikmin 3. Although, looking at Ubis track record, I can't but forget the hugely hyped and extremely disappointing Red Steel, which makes me think ZombiU could be a real bomb.

For the WiiU to not meet the same fate as the Wii among core gamers, they'll need to provide evidence that good stuff is coming. Otherwise they're risking to have a console that's not good to anyone.

I feel like a complete chump for buying a Wii and thinking "SOON there'll be something worthwhile for the system" for a period of four years before realising... it'll never happen. And it never did happen.

I think they would have said "installed" rather than "included" but it's a nice idea nonetheless.

There's reason for doubt. There's nothing preventing Konami from earning a quick buck by bringing out the MGS HD collection for the Wii (not in HD of course). But they won't. There never was anything preventing Rockstar from releasing the PS2 GTA games for the Wii. But they never did.

dafuq did i just read?::shrug:

The way the gaming industry across all platforms is shifting focus has been addressed; it is all about how a user accesses the content on offer. PC you're talking about Steam, with the other consoles focusing on digital content as well as offering music, movies and TV and trying to shift the consoles towards home hubs.

Nintendo seems to like to take it to a whole extra level of literal interpretation and wants to be the avant garde company pushing in new directions, trying to make the user feel more involved in the experience.

In the past, a lack of third party support always seemed to be the counter-Nintendo argument. It has always been important for the Nintendo console to reach a level playing field; to offer the same multi-platform yearly IPs that other consoles do, so that it can then counter-attack with its first- and second-party games, which most agree are some of the best any company has to offer.

Keeping Kinect and PS Move aside for now, it is important to recognise that nintendo are avoiding this level playing field in other ways; by offering a different controlling experience, and by not competing on the brute force that is bellowed out by the other machines' processing numbers. It is illogical to argue that Nintendo are trying to 'win back' or 'sway' users from other consoles; to ditch those in favour of the Wii U, because Nintendo are trying to maintain a different experience rather than purely a better experience.

That's how it looks from an outsider's perspective, anyway.

So I just watched it after I came home, mixed feelings. Firstly - walked past a GAME store at round 5pm and noticed they already had info about a midnight launch for 30th November. Good on them getting the news out quickly, initially I just thought it was them guessing the date but pleasantly surprised when I watched the video.

I'm most impressed by the 3rd party support (which I think outshines Nintendo's own launch day releases) the console looks to be getting in the near future, there's something to cater all audiences. Zombi U isn't my sort of game but it looks fun and innovative. Rayman looks great. Kudos to Ubisoft. The Lego game looks hilarious too :)

The multiple SKUs annoys me but I can see why they've done it; regardless of whether you go for a 8GB/32GB hard drive if you're serious about going digital only you're still going to have to invest in a portable hard drive of 500GB-1TB. Especially since a disc has a max capacity of 25GB. Though I suppose going digital only means you sacrifice the ability to take the game to play round a friends house. (I presume you can't take the hard drive to their Wii U?) Which is a shame as I'm feeling ready to ditch discs.

Sad that Pikmin didn't make it this year. Nintendo Land or NSMBU doesn't interest me unfortunately. I would have loved a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

So while watching I'm definitely hyped, thinking I'm going to get one on launch....then I enter the Wii U price check thread and decide it's just too much money for me to invest in :( So I'm going to hold out for a cheaper deal.

So what? The Wii U is supposed to be a next gen system. The PS4 and Xbox 720 are going to be even more powerful than the Wii U. And then it won't be very bright to waste half the RAM on something that might be worth no more than 10% of the RAM.

Don't know about the PS4 but from what I remember read the 720 will likely have more total RAM but alot of that will be "wasted" on MS shoving Windows 8 into it with likely 1GB left for the games.

The launch window is very uninterresting. I'm considering to buy ZombiU and Pikmin 3. Although, looking at Ubis track record, I can't but forget the hugely hyped and extremely disappointing Red Steel, which makes me think ZombiU could be a real bomb.

I can understand being cautious because of Red Steel I too fell into that trap. But I'm looking forward to ZombiU, I love Zombie games and survival horror and have liked what I've seen so far. Also with Nintendo creating a 3rd bundle for launch to include ZombiU, I doubt they would do that if there was any indication it could be another Red Steel. *fingers crossed*

I feel like a complete chump for buying a Wii and thinking "SOON there'll be something worthwhile for the system" for a period of four years before realising... it'll never happen. And it never did happen.

I still don't get it when people say this. Would more games have been good, yes of course it would but that's not to say there aren't a ton of good games on it. I've gotten a lot of Wii games over its lifetime (and there's even more I haven't bought due to money restraints...and saving for the WiiU :heh:) and have had hundreds upon hundreds of hours of excelent gaming time on it. Hell Monster Hunter 3 clocked up over 800 hours... certianly my most played game ever, I wish previous consoles kept time played statistics so I could compare just that one game to the overall play time I played on my GC and previous consoles.

Jump into the Vote: N-E's Top 25 Wii Games thread and see all the games listed and can you still say there are no games on it?

I have a feeling it will be installed or available via a download code to entice eShop transactions.

Anyone going digital since they are giving out 10% discounts with the premium SKU? Will depend on the game and price for me but the 10% might make it so there isn't a huge difference in cost.

I think peolpe have mixed this up. Shibata said that by buying games at the WiiU eShop will allow you to collect 'points'. The points are equivalent to about 10% of the price paid for the game in pence (not pounds). So a 30.00 quid game would net you 300 points. It is only after reaching 500 points can you then redeem those points on future transactions. So, it is a 10% discount, but you don't get the discount upon your first purchases it's paid for loyalty, and repeat buying.

I have a feeling it will be installed or available via a download code to entice eShop transactions.

It's on a disc. :yay:

I was surprised to see just how many of you guys and gals wanted to know what sort of packaging Nintendo Land would given inside of the Wii U premium bundle. As you remember, Wii Sports was a paper sleeve. Would Nintendo Land get the same treatment?

At your request, I posed this question to Nintendo's Marc Franklin. He said that Nintendo Land will indeed be a physical disc and not pre-installed software on the system. As far as the packaging, he honestly didn't know. He also said it was good to hear this kind of feedback. Let's hope that all adds up to the decision for an official case at launch!

Where'd you get that quote H-o-T?

Can you get the same people to inquire about the full contents of the ZombiU pack haha?

Also I hope they don't use a cheap paper sleeve, lucky here the launch day Wiis came with WiiSports in a nice case rather than a sleeve. Hope the same woulod happen for Nintendo Land