NEurope
Dcubed

1 Hour of Dinosaur Planet N64 footage surfaces!

Seems that somebody has found a prototype copy of the N64 version of Dinosaur Planet! (the game that became Starfox Adventures, for those who've forgotten)

An hour long video of the prototype version has been uploaded to Youtube!

Fascinating stuff! So many changes were made in the level design and such (even if the set pieces and ideas behind them remained largely the same) I reckon this actually looks more fun than the final game turned out to be!

It also proves that David Wise wasn't lying when he said that the music largely remained unchanged when the game moved from N64 to GCN (How the hell he got such quality audio out of that console I'll never know!) The voice acting is hilarious too in its own kind of charming way (blatantly obvious that it's the staff members doing the voices themselves :laughing: )

Edited by Dcubed

Cheers @Dcubed!

I'm not surprised that Nintendo shoe-horned Starfox into this tbh... the original lead characters just seem somewhat lacking.

Either way, it was definately a good move to bump this up from the N64 to the Gamecube! The environments were really nothing beforehand!

I'm honestly surprised they managed to make one of the best-looking Gamecube games out of this. I guess they spent their extra time/budget on that instead of working on the game's substance.

With footage of Twelve Tales Conker 64 now out in the wild, it's obvious that Dinosaur Planet 64 got a lot further than that game! (it also looks a lot more fun than sober Conker!)

Could this be an early Beta in that case? (rather than an Alpha) It certainly looks mostly feature complete!

Awesome stuff, will sit down and watch this later. Just to once again remind me of how Rareware/Rare/video games in general was so much better in the "old" days =p

Cracking find!

I knew Starfox Adventures spawned from this but I never knew how far they were into producing the orginal game.

Though I can't say I'm disappointed about what happened to the game in the end as I quite like Starfox Adventures, wouldn't mind another one actually.

to be honest if they could have made this game i think it would have been a lot more pure and interesting. The Starfox setting was so shoe-horned in and stupid.....Dinosaur Planet looked quite gorgeoues for an N64 game, obviously it would have been a gorgeoues gamecube game what with Starfox adventure's visuals being probably the best on the system (save for resi 4, metroid and rogue leader).

I'm honestly surprised they managed to make one of the best-looking Gamecube games out of this. I guess they spent their extra time/budget on that instead of working on the game's substance.

The game was fantastic, I seem to be in the minority who thinks so though.

The game was fantastic, I seem to be in the minority who thinks so though.

I think you're in the minority for sure there! I felt the game was such a drag, not interesting, too easy half the time and then hard for the wrong reasons in other parts. Hated it for those reasons and the whole shoe-horned starfox thing.....Loved the graphics and sound though, stunning.

I thought some of the puzzles were fantastic, and surpassed what you'd find in Zelda on a number of occasions. I just found it to be a fun adventure game, with some great settings and nice gameplay variety. Loved it, had a really nice vibe IMO.