NEurope
MoogleViper

Blister - pop or not?

Ok I have a blister on the end of my right index finger from touching a hot coal a few days ago (thurs or friday I think). Yesterday it was quite big. This morning it had shrunk slightly, however throughout the day it has grown and is painful when touched/has pressure on it. Normally I would just leave it be, however I have a job interview tomorrow morning, which will involve hand shaking and may involve some work on a computer (not entirely sure).Now do I leave it, and hope it goes down by tomorrow, pop it, and hope it doesn't do too much damage, or wait 'til tomorrow and pop it then if it's no better. Popping it tomorrow if needs be seems the better option, however it doesn't leave it much time to recover if it's really bloody or there's no skin underneath (thee should be, it wasn't that bad a burn).

I don't have any experience with popping blisters so I've come to you guys for help. Internet health sites say don't pop it, but they could just be being over-cautious. The liquid inside is clear if that makes a difference.

Help.

Usually, it's best to leave the blister. The fluid inside acts as a cushion and assists healing of the raw skin underneath. Popping it will cause it to become more painful (if it isn't painful already) and prolong the healing of it.

Thats just my opinion and how i always treat them. Hey, if needs to be put a plaster over it. That way, you can pretend you cut your finger and it provides additional protection.

You could put a hole in it with a needle (sterilise first), slowly drain it, and make sure to put a plaster over it. It's best not to pop it, though.

I thought this thread would be about some new band called Blister, and Moogle wanted to know if their music counted as pop or not. :hmm:

Let your body heal in peace, Moogle.

I've got a big'un on my foot from playing football this afternoon. It'll pop when I go running tomorrow.

I'd say pop it and put a plaster on. Means you can do all the manual work later.

I will admit, i have popped a few blisters which have really annoyed me. Usually the ones that are on my feet. Then used anti-septic and covered it with a plaster. Now that stings and will hurt a lot.

I have been under the impression to not burst burn blisters as you'll have a higher chance of infection. I've burst both burn blisters and regular rub blisters and the burn ones have been far... gloopier

I burst a cigarette burn blister once (cigarette stubbed out on my wrist). It was hugely messy and I think in retrospect I was very lucky not to get an infection as it was took absolutely ages to fully heal, and was pretty gross (it smelt so maybe it WAS infected...). I burst it because it was like a pea sitting on my wrist.

On the topic, what are people's experience with popping zits? I've always been told not to pop them, but is that premature popping? The popping seems inevitable, so I've always been a bit confused. Someone has also mentioned to me that it's about getting the white stuff out without causing bleeding (a tear in the actual skin) as that can leave a scar.

On the topic, what are people's experience with popping zits? I've always been told not to pop them, but is that premature popping? The popping seems inevitable, so I've always been a bit confused. Someone has also mentioned to me that it's about getting the white stuff out without causing bleeding (a tear in the actual skin) as that can leave a scar.

Depends on the type/severity of the zit. Sometimes if you pop one, it will appear again later, possibly worse. You should make sure your hands and the area around the zit is clean, too!

The best solution I've found is to put tea tree oil on it twice a day! :) It's a natural astringent and antiseptic!

If it has a fully formed head then pop it. Just don't pop the ones that don't, and don't squeeze them to death.

The experts will always recommend you don't pop it due to risk of infection.

I always do pop however, the feeling is wonderful.

Alcohol wipes, use them liberally. sterilisation is THE key to getting things to heal.

I always pop spots with tweezers, which have been cleaned, then I wipe the skin with alcohol wipes. It stings like a bitch but its a great way to clear up spots

Pop the fucker and throw some aftershave on it for good measure!

Edited by Cookyman

If it has a fully formed head then pop it. Just don't pop the ones that don't, and don't squeeze them to death.

Yeah, this has always been my standard course of action.