NEurope
Retro_Link

VOTE: N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! (THANKYOU!)

PES and Tiger Woods can't count because it's voting for a series and not a game; That's like just putting The Legend of Zelda down. Do you have a favourite?

Or like Metroid Prime Trilogy/Metroid Prime 3? People have done that here.

Who's done that? I've only seen people voting for one or the other, Metroid Prime Trilogy or Metroid Prime 3, both of which are stand alone games.

If there was a PES or Tiger Woods compilation you could vote for that, but as there isn't so if you want to vote for a game in the series you're gonna have to choose as others have done.

My top 10 would look something like this:

10: Zack & Wiki

9: Rayman Origins

8: World of Goo

7: TLoZ: Twilight Princess

6: Super Mario Galaxy 2

5. Metroid Prime Trology/Prime 3 Corruption

4: Xenoblade

3: Super Mario Galaxy

2:Okami

1: TLoF: Skyward Sword

That's from today. A vote for PES 2008 or TW12 gets diluted very easily if other years are chosen instead and let's face it there's not much difference between some years.

Edited by Wii

Well OK, that's from today, from a new member and the only exception.

I guess we'll count that as a vote for Metroid Prime Trilogy, as that include Prime 3 and they clearly want to vote for the Wii versions of Prime 1 & 2 anyway.

You can't vote for a series Wii, it's pretty simple... in the same way people haven't put Call of Duty etc...

This is a vote for your Top 10 Wii games, if that list includes more than one PES or Tiger Woods, put both down.

Man, I wanted to put more into this, but trying to make deadline so maybe not! My biggest problem I've found...I just haven't played enough games on the Wii!

My focus is trying to be mainly more on...games that did new things I guess, in a sense I still enjoyed. I think new ideas, or even old ideas but executed well in a new IP, is more beneficial than just rehashing/redoing an old thing, and so I guess a factor in rating some games here is the fact they did something different yet were enjoyable. I'm also rating more than 10 games just to rate all I can think I want to, so just take the top 10.

Note: Pandora's Tower and Last Story are not in this list because whilst I own them, I haven't actually played them. I also can't find a couple of my boxes making me almost certain I've misplaced a couple games; thus I fear I may have actually forgotten a totally awesome one from the list. Oh well. There's also lots of games I'm now realising I never played. :(

17. Guitar Hero 3 Legends of Rock

My first and only GH title to date. Multiplatform so I don't think it should really stand here, but I thought I'd mention it as it's a game I have actually played. Enjoyable Guitar Hero classicness, sunk a lot of time into it back in the day too(though never beyond medium, I suck). It was good to see the Wii get a GH, though.

16. Mario Kart Wii

Another I never felt the need to own. Was ok, but same old story with not enough to make it worth it for me. Played a few times, enjoyable, but still MK.

15. Kirby's Epic Yarn

This was a good game that did a lot of things; however I feel it was greatly marred by being masqueraded as a Kirby title. It put me off completely; who makes a kirby platform game these days where kirby can't suck and use copy abilities!? It's like making a mario game and saying he can't run/runjump. They should have left it as its original new IP, and I think it would have done just as well if not better and I personally would have rated it much higher.

14. Wii Sports

The game that got folks used to/into the Wii, and lead the way for a lot. Also got my parents actually playing a console, albeit for like a week. Though having said that my dad kept going for a couple months until he broke his leg(totally unrelated).

13. New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Now, this felt enough like a rehash that I never bought it. I felt given what NSMBDS did left me thinking this wouldn't be much of a challenge or worth the cost. I have played it a few times multiplayer, and it's pretty fun in that aspect. However I reckon a single player experience wouldn't satisfy me, and was all I had option for. I had my gripes with certain aspects; but feel if I played more I probably would have rated it higher.

12. Mario Party 9

Ok, now I don't know if this did something NEW, but the movement system in this was a nice change. I don't know if it was in previous games, but anyhow I used to quite like Mario Party and I played this literally just a couple of times; but I rather enjoyed it.

11. No More Heroes

Rented and played some of the first; it was fresh and new, I liked what they did and how they took use of the motion control. Good stuff and nice to see fresh directions.

10. Strikers Charged

Never been a football fan, but this was football with a classic mario style twist, enjoyable, though a steep curve on it that led me to give up a bit quick.

9. Boom Blox/Bash Party

Brilliant innovation, gave some good multiplayer fun with a decent single player; easily accessible to all and strangely satisfying.

8. Excite Truck

Fantastic game that was good early on. Possibly lacking in some points/places, however it did some fresh and quite fun stuff that would have(and did) open the way to more awesome games like ExciteBots but I can't talk about that because I know fuck all about it because we never got it. Grrr.

7. Kirby's Adventure Wii/Return to Dreamland

Personally I love Kirby, but if I'm criticising Zelda for not doing enough new, I should probably say the same for this, too. It brought in the optional companions, offered 4-player simultaneous drop in/drop out, and was beautifully vibrant with good sound and in places nice challenge(for Kirby, at least).

6. Super Mario Galaxy

Beautiful game for the Wii. Carried on the mario formula somewhat well, my biggest gripes however are that it was frankly too linear; not enough secrets, secrets being made too obvious, no accidental discovery of secrets or real choice of path. I compare it to SM64 and can't help feel the series has regressed in some gameplay aspects.

5. Twilight Princess

Now, it's not the best game, no, but it IS the game that drew a lot of folks to the Wii originally, and it was actually quite a good game, just lacked a zelda enough touch. The fact it helped sell the consoles, whilst a weak reason, is why it ends up higher than I would otherwise put it. Without it, I probably couldn't make this list!

4. Skyward Sword

It did some good/fun things, but the Zelda formula is getting tired and needs a heavier shakeup than it's getting. It rates above TP because it used more actual Wii features etc; and was a good game and a passable zelda; but I'm not sure it's what we were looking for. Both Zeldas make the list here because I did actually finish them(arguably finished Galaxy but never 100%).

3. Little King's Story

Highly undersold yet an amazing game full of charm and quirks plus good and challenging gameplay. Strangely involving, too.

2. Smash Bros Brawl

Probably my most played game, it managed to do what I didn't expect and actually exceed Melee in many a way. I've had some real good brawling times with this in the last 4 and a half years.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

Masterpiece. Simple as that.

Edited by Rummy

@Rummy, it's OK we'll leave the thread open if you do want to do any more to your post, and for people to carry on discussing their favourite Wii games. It's just at some point we've got to make a count so that the Staff then have time to start putting something together for the first week of games 25-20. :) Edited by Retro_Link

Hey to you all, long time lurker here. I thought that I would finally sign up and contribute with my top ten list.

10) Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

I was really surprised that this was released in the West. I picked it up soon after its low-key release for a very reasonable sum; this is a lot of game for the money. A plethora of weird, wonderful and colourful characters provide many playing styles over countless gameplay modes. It was also one of my early forays into Wii online gaming, it is always refreshing to get away from facing the usual CPU opponents.

9) Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

I'm not usually into hardcore arcade-style shooters, but this one is special. I was really disappointed when the original S&P never made it over to PAL N64s. Its re-release on Virtual Console helped to heal some wounds. Nintendo further impressed me even more with Star Successor. Fast-paced and a huge challenge with chunky and loud graphics.

8) Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

One of the first games that made use of the Wii-mote in refreshingly creative ways. The fun puzzles and sometimes hair-pulling moments make this a surprisingly addictive experience. You can become dangerously determined to better your scores.

The impressive visuals showed that determined third party developers could push the Wii's hardware back in 2007.

It is such a shame that this was largely ignored by those "not-in-the-know" or dismissed as just another kiddie game. It could have been enjoyed by a much wider audience.

7) Dead Space: Extraction

My expectations were exceeded; this is not some generic on-rails-shooters. It is a worthy prequel to the excellent Dead Space. A very cinematic experience awaits you; piled high with horror and suspense. The excellent story and acting really draws you in. Even better in two-player co-operative mode.

This is one of the Wii games I pull out to demonstrate that the console has its hardcore moments, not just because of the 18 certificate printed on the game box.

Unmissable.

6) Super Mario Galaxy 2

Nintendo at its best. Some of the purist 3D Mario gameplay out there and gorgeous visuals that makes you forget about the Wii's SD limitations.

This and its predecessor got my sister back into computer games after an eight-year break from Nintendo consoles.

5) Okami

A masterpiece in every way and it's a Zelda-killer (hence Twilight Princess not making it onto this list). The Japanese traditional-painting-style visuals are uniquely beautiful. There was a melancholic tone to the game that has not been matched since.

A long journey but well worth a play-through.

4) Monster Hunter Tri

An overly expansive experience. There are not enough hours in the day to invest in this!

This is one of the most difficult games I have played on the Wii - the initial frustrations are eventually wiped out by the rewards of your progress. Bosses that were previously feared become mere nuisances.

Go online and you'll lose even more hours to this beast of a game.

3) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I had a fantastic Christmas holiday spent playing this.

It might be considered to be a bit of an amalgam of previous Zelda titles but it can proudly sit on its own. The Motion Plus system has been implemented perfectly.

Sumptuous visuals and an elevating soundtrack make this the best Zelda game in a decade.

2) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I very rarely play games for more than an hour or two. Corruption would draw me in for the majority of a day. The clichéd Halo-isms at the start of the game provide a minor dip but everything gets infinitely better from then on.

I adored the unusual GameCube controls for Prime 1 & 2 and had my doubts about the Wii-mote control scheme. After thirty minutes of adjusting I was sold. I bought the Trilogy edition in order to experience the earlier titles with the updated controls.

A fantastic conclusion to the Prime series. I hope Retro Studios are involved in the development of a successor for the Wii U.

1) Xenoblade Chronicles

I am surprised that this made it so high in the list, being that it's such a recent title. It just stacks up so strongly against everything else in my Wii library.

A huge gaming world, tons of interesting side-quests and characters (that you genuinely care for) make for one of the best RPG experiences that I have played in my two-decades of video game experience.

And I haven't even finished it yet. Yes, I am that biased.

Edited by SirToastaLot
Bold type not implemented from MS Word

@Rummy, it's OK we'll leave the thread open if you do want to do any more to your post, and for people to carry on discussing their favourite Wii games. It's just at some point we've got to make a count so that we the Staff then have time to start putting something together for the first week of games 25-20. :)

Thanks, that top 10 isn't likely to change though. My criteria is a bit shifting and I can't quite decide on order of some, but I think it's best to just rock with what I've set and leave it at that! I'd only be adding to my bottom ones below 10, but I think I'm all done...

10. Little Kings Story(Haven't played it yet but I know I'll like it. Might have been higher, probably would have been higher but we'll never know now)

Really? You're actually going to include a game you've never played?

The story was told so fantastically through such beautiful cutscenes, it was almost like watching an animated movie at times; and whilst it's true the music as a whole isn't perhaps as memorable; for me the game delivered one of the greatest pieces in Zelda history:

One of my favourite games of all time! :D

Just wanted to quote to say how much I agree with this! Absolutely love that piece of music, up there with the top Zelda classics!

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Monster Hunter 3

3. Okami

4. Twilight Princess

5. Call Of Duty: Black Ops

6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

7. Super Mario Galaxy

8. Wii Sports

9. Boom Blox: Bash Party

10. Little Kings Story(Haven't played it yet but I know I'll like it. Might have been higher, probably would have been higher but we'll never know now)

Not happy at all about all the rushing. PES and TW lose out, probably won't even make the list now. I've chosen Boom Blox: Bash Party at no.9. Watch it drown in the chart but it was a great game.

Well OK guys I guess that's pretty much...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

--- Voting Closed!!

:D ---

I guess if any more votes come in between now and the time one of us finishes counting these up they can be added to the list, but we've got to stop and make a count somewhere so that the Staff can start putting something together for the first set of games of numbers 25-21!

Can I just say a MASSIVE...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

TO EVERYONE who contributed their choices to the list!! :D

It's felt like a really worthwhile feature! One that has really brought the community together and that everyone has fully embraced and put some thought and effort into! :)

And also...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

To all the New Members who have signed up to vote and hopefully some of you will continue to stay around the forums as they're a great place to be! :D

Cheers Everyone! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Not happy at all about all the rushing. PES and TW lose out, probably won't even make the list now. I've chosen Boom Blox: Bash Party at no.9. Watch it drown in the chart but it was a great game.

This thread has been open since the beginning of the month. There's been plenty of time to post in it.

PES shouldn't be bundled in one separate entry because it's not fair. Each version is different, even if they're not all completely revolutionary when compared to their previous editions. I know that 2012 isn't very different at all to 2011, but 2011 has quite a few differences to 08.

Also, as it has been pointed out, putting a game in your top 10 list when you haven't even played it is unfair.

Administrators, please, please, please allow me to apologise for not making the 11:59pm deadline, I wanted to get this finished earlier but it was a friends 30th Birthday and I just did not manage to get the time

I realise that a deadline is in place for a reason but if you can find it in your hearts to allow my post to be included then that would be so appreciated, especially when you seen how much time and effort I have put into it

Please allow this to be included and taken into consideration for the Top 25 Wii games, I beg you

1. Mario Kart Wii

Well where to start, I am a HUGE Mario Kart fan and I always have been ever since the very first incarnation, this has everything that all the previous versions had AND it even has the options to use bikes! (Which is something I always use now and it felt weird going back to karts on the Mario Kart 7!)

Then there is the online mode, this is what makes the game, I have spent hours and hours and hours and hours online with friends, whether its in a worldwide race against others or in rooms where we have done Grand Prix's, Team Grand Prix's or Battles, this is by far the most fun I have ever had on any computer game and its because of this that not only is this my number 1 Wii game but quite possibly my number 1 game of all time

With the introduction of Mario Karts first ever motion sensored steering and the Wii Wheel this adds a whole new dimension to the already great Mario Kart series

Twilight Princess would have been number 1 but for me, gaming with friends/other people beats gaming solo

All I can say is bring on the Wii U version! (HD Graphics & online is obviously a given but a track editor and more online modes would be awesome!)

2. The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess

Being a HUGE Zelda fan and having played every game in the series (apart from the 2 on the DS) starting with the original on the NES as a 5 year old, I was anticipating this motion controlled adventure like a crackhead anticipating their next hit (sorry but you get the jist) I was SO eager to play this and I was ridiculously excited at the prospect, needless to say, it wasn't a disappointment nor an anti climax and if anything, it actually exceeding my expectations

Using the Wiimote to slice and dice my way through enemies (and shrubs and grass) as well as perfectly picking off my foes with the bow and arrow felt like pure and utter magic, not to mention the shield bashing etc with the nunchuk, but this was only part of what made the game feel so great and innovative for me

The actual story itself coupled with the adventure and drama that went along with it as well as the long treks through the fields to all corners of Hyrule was something that I really, really cherished and savored as well as the crisp graphics and as always, epic soundtrack

A joy for me to play from the very beginning in the humble surroundings of Ordon Village to the bitter end in that epic battle with Ganon in the vast fields of Hyrule make this not only one of my favourite Wii games but also my favourite Zelda game of all time (yes, its not everyone's choice but for me, personally, this is the number 1 Zelda game, although at the time of writing I am only about half way through Skyward Sword so that opinion MAY change although I don't think it will, as great as Skyward Sword has been so far)

3. Mario Galaxy 1&2

To play a Mario game (Mario 64) in three dimensions on the N64 is an experience I will never forget and one which will forever live in the memory but for them to take the already incredible formula and better it with lush graphics, even more innovative level design and an amazing soundtrack is what makes Mario Galaxy 1&2 my 2 favourite Mario games

An absolute joy to play from start to finish, these games just go to show that even without HD graphics, a masterpiece can be still be created with the tools they had at hand although they simply complement (and obviously do add) to the amazing experience of once again being in control of the most iconic and legendary game character of all time

If you are yet to play either of these games then simply put, you haven't lived

4. The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword

As I am yet to complete this game (yes, I have had it since Christmas last year and I am taking my sweet time with this and dragging it out for as long as I can, the fact that my gaming time is usually taking up by playing a lot of games online with friends helps me to prolong this even more, hence the reason it has taken me over 9 months to complete!) I am unable to give a full and frank analysis, but what I will say is that having played through at least half the game this is once again, an epic, epic Zelda adventure

As per usual with any Zelda game, the soundtrack, charming colours and graphics the game provides add to the experience but it is the addition of the motion plus controls that add even more to the adventure and make this a truly amazing experience and one that I would implore any games player to embark on.....the mind boggles at how amazing the Wii U Zelda will be!

5. Disaster - Day of Crisis

This is a game with which only a minority of people have played and one which I am very pleased and honoured to be one of those people

Quite possibly one of the most dramatic gaming experiences of all time with its movie like, disaster themed storyline, Disaster : Day of Crisis offers one of the most diverse and innovative styles of gameplay that I can think of

Whether its driving a car as fast as you can away from a humongous tsunami, whether its giving some poor civilian CPR, whether its shooting away at enemies or whether it is swimming through a flood with a Labrador under your arm, this game has it all and for anyone yet to experience it then I would IMPLORE you to give it a go, I can pretty much guarantee that you will love it

6. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Another game I yet to complete (me and my girlfriend have been playing through it sporadically and are now up the final world) although I feel more than able to pass proper judgement on it

This mixes the classic formula found in past Donkey Kong Country games with crisper, more colourful graphics that make this an absolute must for any Wii owner, a real throwback to old school platforming games with the added beauty of everything that is Nintendo

7. Wario Ware : Smooth Moves

I have owned this game from the very first day I owned a Wii (sometime in December 2006) and it is something I still play to this day

The perfect game for a right good laugh with friends or family alike that utilises the motion sensor Wiimote to its best ability Wario Ware : Smooth Moves is a game that never gets boring nor dated, with the addition of online play (here's hoping) on the Wii U version this could be a game to spend hours and hours playing online with friends or at home with guests

8. Wii Sports/Resort

Again, one of the first games I got along with my Wii, just like Wario Ware this is a game I still play to this day and is perfect for not only trying to better your own scores but for getting friends and family involved

I will NEVER forget my amazement and delight at how good this felt playing it the first time and I still marvel at Nintendo's ability to create a masterpiece with motion sensored controls only bettered with the motion plus addition of Wii Sports Resort

One of the finest gaming experiences of all time and one which will forever live in my memory, a new version with online play for the Wii U would take it to a whole different level

9. FIFA 09

Being a MASSIVE football fan (Come On You Spurs!) this is a game that simply had to be in my top 10 if not for my love of football but for how well EA created the franchise for the Wii, FIFA 08 was great (if a little gimmicky) with its motion controls but FIFA 09 bettered that experience and with the addition of Classic Controller or Gamecube Controls make this the best football game available on the Wii

I spent hours and hours playing this against 2 of my very good friends via the online mode as well as playing it with friends in local matches and it provided some of the most fun I have ever had on any football game, its just a shame the servers have now been disconnected and they made such a hash of FIFA 10!!!

10. Grand Slam Tennis

Tennis is, and always will be, one of the most traditional and fun ways to play a computer game, ever since its humble and basic beginnings of Pong

This game makes full use of the Motion Plus technology and it is simply incredible how accurate and precise it makes hitting any type of shot you want

The online mode is superb and I have spent, literally, 2 hours, playing a full 5 set match on Wimbledon's Centre Court against one of my good friends via online, every point feels like a battle and is as close to playing real tennis as you can get, absolute class

Honourable Mentions

1. Guitar Hero 3

A great game which leaves you coming back for more and bettering your score, I will never forget the day the actual Guitar arrived one morning and for me to promise myself id have one ''quick'' go only to find myself still playing it 8 hours later.....one of computer games most innovative and original ideas which has gone on to be a major franchise

2. Smarty Pants

A superb quiz game that unfortunately lacks an online mode, fun for people of all ages and a great game to get out at Christmas when all the family are round (although me and my girlfriend do like the odd best of 3 every now and then :D )

3. Wii Party

Again, this is almost criminal that there is no online mode although even without that this is a great party game (literally) that is great to play with friends and family alike

4. Tiger Woods (every year)

Even though this is 4th in my honourable mentions list, this could quite easily be in my top 10. All the Tiger Woods installments on the Wii offer amazing motion sensored accuracy with swings and putts (even better with the addition of Motion Plus) and move the ever epic franchise onto the next level with this clever innovation, great fun (oh and don't forget the addition of disc golf, quality stuff!)

5. Track Mania

A superb racing game that offers quick bursts of fun and keeps you coming back for more. A Wii U version would be great.

6. Tony Hawks Downhill Jam

A very clever take on skateboarding and the Tony Hawks franchise, one of the most fun experiences on the Wii and the high octane ride from top to bottom is one that will never be forgotten

7. Cursed Mountain

Perhaps overdoing the motion sensor side of this is the only gripe I have with this game but even so, this offers a very freaky, yet unique gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone

8. Silent Hill - Shattered Memories

The classic series came to the Wii and it didn't disappoint, as with Cursed Mountain though, this may have over done it in terms of using motion sensor for the sake of it but it doesn't take away from the experience

An extremely bone chilling experience which has all the classic ''charm'' you would expect from a Silent Hill game.

9. A Boy and His Blob

As with Donkey Kong Country Returns, A Boy and His Blob just goes to show that 2D platforming is far from done

With gorgeous backdrops and clever gameplay, this is an excellent game that anyone would appreciate.

10. Boom Blox/Boom Blox Bash Party

One of the best takes on a puzzle game and a very, very clever and ''moreish'' experience, great fun.

11. F1 2010

With the addition of motion sensored steering the ever classic F1 line of computer games is at its best on the Wii

P.S - Apologies for the grammatical errors etc. I was a little bit drunk when I finished writing my post and also rushed it a bit to try and get it as close to the deadline as possible, no time for proof reading! :p

I would just like to echo Retro_Links thoughts and say a big THANK YOU to everyone, old and new members, who have participated in this.

Life gets pretty hectic and we are very grateful to people have taken the time out of their everyday lives to have write their thoughts and feelings about their favourite Wii games.

The response to this little vote has been staggering and very positive. Let's use this as an opportunity to move the forums forward and keep them lively with friendly banter and plenty of chatter. : peace:

Thanks again to everyone. :hug::heart:

I'm gutted to have missed the deadline! I've had half of this sat in Word for a week. Unfortunately, things kept getting in the way over the weekend and I've only now had a slot to finish it off. Again, sorry for being behind on this. If the votes can't be included that's fine - just thought I'd share my thoughts anyway, seeing as it was mostly done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wii has been brilliant for me. It basically brought me back from the brink of giving up on gaming (and I've been playing ever since the Acorn Electron/BBC days!). When the Gamecube was on its last legs I was going through that time when gaming seems, rightly or wrongly, stuck in a rut, a new coat of paint on the same old stuff, and you find yourself wanting to move on, perhaps never bother to pick up a controller again. Uni and other life concerns were taking over and, despite enjoying many Cube and PS2 games, I was well and truly jaded.

As more details emerged on the promised ‘Revolution’ it appeared to come hand in hand with a sense of dumbing down – the new paint job didn’t seem as glossy, blank avatars at every turn, a silly name and strangely cautious, conservative implementation of the very thing that made it stand out from the pack: motion control.

ALL of this was swept away when I played Wii Sports for the first time. It’s hard to describe exactly what the Wii did, especially with all of those caveats, but it somehow freshened things up again, brought gaming back to life, made it fun. There was something gloriously unpretentious and inclusive about this new machine, flying in the face of everything that was ‘cool’. It had a slow start to be sure and a couple of barren patches, but when we look back now, and reading over the fantastic top 10 thread, the sheer quality and variety of games is astounding. I bet a lot struggled to pick just ten!

So, these are just *some* of the games I enjoyed the most on the Wii. Some are flawed, some are almost universally praised. As much as anything, I think great games are about creating memories, whether that’s with friends and family or within the game worlds themselves, aspects that are difficult to define but stay with you.

10. Klonoa

"And I began to wonder...

The dreams I can't remember

when I wake in the morning,

where in the world did they go?"

ybRDW.jpg

Exactly how a remake of a classic should be handled. It's one of the most charming and beautiful games on the Wii. A cartoon world brimming with imagination, short but oh so sweet. I really hope Klonoa returns in some form!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

9. Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies

Wasn't sure about this one at first, but a couple of stages in and you get into the groove just in time for Treasure to unleash all of their mastery. It surpasses the original in every respect, with fantastic set pieces, often stunning boss and level design and (weirdly for an on-rails shooter) an exhilarating sense of freewheeling speed. All the anime-on-crack plot craziness is present and correct as well!

PYayX.jpg

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

8. Kirby's Epic Yarn

On the basis of this and Wario Land: Shake Dimension it's clear that Good-Feel are quite an asset to Nintendo. The only thing that could top the wet dream of a Castle of Illusion sequel for me (still can’t believe that’s happening) would be if these guys made a Yoshi game :o The graphics and art have been deservedly much praised - inventive, magically alive and filled with little details. Kirby’s transformations all raise a smile. The soundtrack, courtesy of Tomoya Tomita is among the catchiest and best composed on the system - it's like the classic memorable chiptunes of old, only there are dozens of tracks and each bursting with jazzy spontaneity, each one a gem. Speaking of gems, they’re the key to allowing the player to dictate their own level of difficulty – no lives - and unlocking everything in the game. Outwardly simple, but a masterpiece of 2D platforming design.

AfvoM.jpg

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Going back to play Prime 1 with the Gamecube pad felt unbelievably clunky after this. Motion controls are spot-on and the whole game is nicely balanced (yep, looking at you Echoes). While it may not have the wow factor of the first it’s very solid conclusion to a polished trilogy. Skyworld is one of those deceptively gorgeous, serene areas that still means business (a la Phendrana Drifts), the search through the decimated husk of the G.F.S. Valhalla is as eerie as anything the series has to offer, and the decent into the bowels of Phaaze to the source of all the corruption, with Samus maxed-out in Hyper mode, makes for a tense, memorable finale.

q2O4l.jpg

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

6. Little King's Story

Exxpl.jpg

Cute as you like and tricky as hell. The perfect combo! The gameworld in this feels so rich and fully realised. The bosses are fantastic. The writing is great as well, genuinely funny and filled with knowing sideways glances. My one reservation going in was the soundtrack being classical arrangements rather than original material, but it's so well done and fits the off-the-wall character of the game so well you can't help but fall in love. Cing are very sadly missed :sad:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

5. Xenoblade

I defy anyone to play this and get up to the mindmeltingly vast, beautiful Eryth Sea and not be hooked! That area, which also encompasses a huge floating city and is suspended in the canopy of a giant tree, has to be one of my favourite areas in any game. It's almost therapeutic to explore the vast plains, caves, mountains, valleys and vistas in Xenoblade - an astonishing technical feat for the Wii. The conceit of having the characters live microcosmically on the bodies of two great titans is the root of the game's appeal and structure and it's always fascinating toprogress to the next area with that dual perspective in mind. The combat is mostly satisfying and streamlined and the story just keeps on giving. If you can stick with it and make it through the odd frustration or difficulty spike you'll be richly rewarded.

24fCw.jpg

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

4. Excite Truck

Early on in the Wii's life this was a definite highlight and I found myself having more fun than with any racer since Mario Kart 64! The morphing terrain, the airborne tricks, chasing after the S ranks and, most of all, superb motion steering that puts MKWii to shame. Quite simply, it wouldn't be half as fun with analogue sticks. Together with Prime 3 this is as good a case as has ever been made for the humble Wiimote. Being able to play your own mp3s via SD card was a godsend as well! :laughing:

FDL5j.jpg

3. Opoona

wBo51.jpg

What do you get if you cross Earthbound, Dragon Quest, Wall-e and Rarg? Opoona, that's what! After crash landing, Opoona glides around investigating every nook and cranny of the planet Landroll to find his parents and work up through the ranks as a ranger, fighting foes with his energy bon-bon(!). This is another game where simply exploring is sooo satisfying - the cities are some of the largest I've ever seen in a traditional jrpg. It really has a unique vibe with great music and a clean cel-shaded style. The only minus points are that it doesn’t run widescreen or progressive. Hard to say why this has stayed with me so much; perhaps because there was zero hype and it just kind of crept up on me with its charm and atmosphere (those experiences are the best!). Oh, and you can control the entire thing with just the nunchuck if you so desire.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

IPlxf.jpg

Let's face it, Wind Waker, Twilight Princes and Skyward Sword are all pretty much in the same ballpark in terms of quality. They each have strengths and weaknesses and picking between them is really a matter of taste. Skyward Sword excels in its brilliant controls, worked through the entire game, and in its delicate, pastel-toned art-style, with the most fluid, subtle animation the series has seen. There's some truly accomplished level design as well: the Lanayru Desert is like one giant open puzzle box, the Ancient Cistern with its philosophically inflected layers, and of course Skyloft, a hub town that a few weeks after completing the game I actually started tomiss! Story-wise it sets up the series' mythos well and manages to fill in details and explain origins with a lightness of touch. Crucially, I don't think I've cared for Zelda herself this much since Ocarina of Time :blush:

5IUnX.jpg

Now, I know the soundtrack seems to have divided opinion, but you have to admit that the sheer range of music and styles is quite something. The flight theme is like something Sibelius and John Williams might have cooked up together - that gorgeous second subject from 0:46 :love:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

1. Super Mario Galaxy

QAns8.jpg

The game we were all waiting for. Not only did it not disappoint, but it can stand shoulder to shoulder with its sequel next to the hallowed Mario 64. In many respects it raised the bar for Nintendo’s franchises in terms of graphical finesse, invention and polish (the NSMB series suffers by comparison). Just messing around in this is a ton of fun: jumping between, around and inside planetoids of different shapes and sizes, surfing the idiosyncratic gravity fields, diving with shells, swinging on vines, floating, flying, even skating around a translucent suspended ice donut! The orchestral musical score was a huge landmark moment for Nintendo; Mahito Yokota, with a little help from a certain Koji Kondo, really pulled it out of the bag. The genius of this music is that it manages to expand the palette to a full orchestra and yet still sound like “videogame music”. And who on earth would have thought that latin and sci-fi would go together??! But they do!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I love that this one's a variation on Peach's Castle from Mario64.

lR7Ol.jpg

If they manage to top the genius of Galaxy’s space playground for the next 3D Mario outing on WiiU were in for something truly incredible!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(10) Michael Jackson:The Experience

(9) The Legend OfZelda:Twilight Princess

(8) Sin & Punishment 2

(7) Okami

(6) Super Mario Galaxy 2

(5) Xenoblade

(4) Monster Hunter Tri

(3) Tiger Woods 12

(2) Little King's Story