NEurope
Retro_Link

VOTE: N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! (THANKYOU!)

Ok, i'm doing this at work and trying to remember exactly what games i've got so bear with me.

1. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - Not as good as the Gamecube version unfortunately as they left out the tortoise balancing which was the best bit, but still one of the most insane games in the Wii, and one that kept my housemates and I playing for a long time.

2. New Super Mario Bros Wii - 4 person co-op on this game was brill, and one of the few games i've managed to get my gf to play, so it gets a bonus point from me.

3. Super Mario Galaxy - One of the few Mario games I actually completed, but only after i forced myself to.

4. Mario Kart Wii - I know people say that other versions are better etc etc, but this is the only version i've ever owned, and i loved it.

5. Guitar Heroes Legends of Rock - I played this at a friends house, and within about three days i had bought myself a copy. Awesome game. I went on to buy the full drum kit and microphone one - can't remember what that one was - but we certainly got a lot of hours out of this game.

6. Wii Sports - Don't think i played it as much as a lot of people did, but it hold a lot of memories for me from when i first got my Wii and played it in the living room for the first time. Wii tennis was a great game, as was the bowling...

7. Zelda: Twilight Princess - Again, this is the only Zelda game i've ever finished, so i suppose it goes here. It was alright.

8. Mario Strikers: Charged - This was a cool game, albeit frustratingly hard.

That's all i can remember right now....i might come back and update later.

Edited by 130131301364

It's difficult to make a list of favourite games ... but here's my effort:

1 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It's simply my favourite game this generation (and yes I have other consoles as well). Platforming perfection as far as I'm concerned.

2 - Xenoblade Chronicles ; Nintendo has really pissed me of sometimes when they decided not to release a game in Europe, but with the Wii things got much better (I'd still love to have ExciteBots and Super Mario Sluggers though). I still can't believe they released this gem...

3 - Donkey Kong Country Returns

4 - Wii Sports Resort

5 - The Legend Of Zelda : Skyward Sword

6 - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom : Ultimate All-Stars

7 - Sin And Punishment : Successor Of The Skies

8 - Naruto : Clash Of Ninja Revolution

9 - The Last Story

10 - Kirby's Adventure Wii ; it's really difficult to choose between this and Epic Yarn but I played this one quite a bit more than Kirby's excellent first Wii game so...

Honorable mentions:

The House o/t Dead : Overkill, Zack & Wiki : Quest For Barbados' Treasure, Excite Truck, Little King's Story, Mario Kart Wii, Monster Hunter Tri, Muramasa : The Demon Blade, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic Colours, Super Smash Bros Brawl & World Of Goo.

Wow, @Hero\-of\-Time

Your plan to attract new members is indeed working swimmingly.

The hard part is having them visit regurlarly though.

Anyway, welcome you new Dutch guy you! @King Eidilleg

I'm also a King myself, and from the Netherlands as well! :D

Lol, I'm sorry @Retro_Link

I just saw Hero-of-Time active in this thread, and his name is also blue-ish, and you also have a Link avatar, and, ... and....:laughing:

Lol, I'm sorry @Retro_Link

I just saw Hero-of-Time active in this thread, and his name is also blue-ish, and you also have a Link avatar, and, ... and....:laughing:

Too late. It's already been said. I thank you for your thanks. :D

Well, since this is a Nintendo forum after all, I think it would be only appropriate that all moderators switch their user names into LoZ-based ones. For example, we could have Modern_Link, Next-gen_Link, 8-bit Link, Link, Hero-of-Hyrule, Hyrulian-Hero, Link-of-Hyrule, Hero-Link, Link-the-Hero, and so on...

Well, since this is a Nintendo forum after all, I think it would be only appropriate that all moderators switch their user names into LoZ-based ones. For example, we could have Modern_Link, Next-gen_Link, 8-bit Link, Link, Hero-of-Hyrule, Hyrulian-Hero, Link-of-Hyrule, Hero-Link, Link-the-Hero, and so on...

..and you are the Weakest-Link!

Goodbye

I'm sorry, I can only think of four that I'm fond enough of to make the list (or I just thought they were very good). I should point out that Twilight Princess would easily be amongst them, but I played the GameCube version:

1. Metroid: Other M

Fun, friendly and familiar. It said proudly "This is Metroid". Other M reintroduced the idea that Samus should be fast and agile. Speed Boost, Wall Jump and Space Jump controlled just as tightly as the 2D games (if not more so). The post-game exploring and boss made it even better.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

The Mario Galaxy games in general are the most-polished on the Wii. To be frank, I'd have more fondness for this game if not for the post-game content, which seemed designed to be frustrating. When I think of this game, I tend to think "Ugh! Star 242..." But for the purpose of this poll, I remember how good the first 120 Stars were. Yoshi controlled surprisingly well and, for me, the giant slide in Tall Trunk Galaxy surpassed anything in the first game.

3. Super Mario Galaxy

Probably the best and least flawed all-round game for Wii (but it is not my favourite). Like Galaxy 2, I didn't much like the post-game, but I can't take away from the top notch graphics (especially the textures), music and sheer variety. The tone deserves special mention, as they managed to improve the look of Mario as much as they could for Wii, without making it seem too different. Everything seemed just right.

4. Metroid Prime 3

After playing Prime 1 + 2, I was in the mood for more. Whilst it took me a long time to get used to the pointing and motion controls, Metroid Prime 3 provided a very traditional game experience. The Nova Beam might just be the best laser in the series.

New Super Mario Bros, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns

Fuck the WiiU launch, I am more hyped for RedShells post on his favorite games :D
Try to contain your excitement! :heh:

Choosing 10 out of my current collection of 66 games (most of which I consider to be great) wasn't easy. :o Just about managed to select a "top 10", but couldn't put them in order, so I cheated and decided to let my play-time data from the Nintendo Channel do that job for me. :hehe:

And here's how my top 10 ended up:

10. Kirby's Epic Yarn

9. Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise

8. Rabbids Go Home

7. Eledees

6. The House of the Dead: Overkill

5. Wii Sports

4. Super Mario Galaxy

3. Wii Music

2. Mario Kart Wii

1. Monster Hunter Tri

Honourable mentions go to...

Xenoblade Chronicles, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Excite Truck, Marbles! Balance Challenge, GoldenEye 007, Go Vacation, Little King's Story, de Blob, Wii Sports Resort, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Endless Ocean, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, No More Heroes, Punch-Out!!, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl...

Sooooo many quality games! :o

Seriously, could the Wii have had a more diverse library of titles? If we get even half of what we got for Wii on the Wii U then we're in for a treat! :)

Fantastic Redshell!! :D

A few surprises in there! Wasn't expecting to see Rabbids Go Home... did that turn out to be a real winner then!?

Eledees was a launch game that passed me by, but nice to see it in there and I should have guessed Wii Music! ;) Pleased to see Mario Kart Wii so high, as I love that game too!

Galaxy's music is just incredible! I don't have the game anymore but that music made me wish I did!

10. Excitetruck

9. LostWinds

8. Wii Sports

7. House of the Dead Overkill

6. Rabbids Go Home

5. Smash Bros. Brawl

4. Red Steel

3. World of Goo

2. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

1. Super Mario Galaxy

Edited by Nicktendo

Fantastic Redshell!! :D

A few surprises in there! Wasn't expecting to see Rabbids Go Home... did that turn out to be a real winner then!?

Eledees was a launch game that passed me by...

Rabbids Go Home, although a little unpolished, was a great game. I wouldn't mind another Rabbids platformer instead of a minigame collection.

Eledees is a fantastic game. It's very different from anything I have played before. I think about 3 of us on here played it and that was it. :D

A big thanks to everyone who has put their lists up so far. Keep up the good work!

Eledees is a fantastic game. It's very different from anything I have played before. I think about 3 of us on here played it and that was it. :D

I played it. I think I got around half way through it.

Wasn't expecting to see Rabbids Go Home... did that turn out to be a real winner then!?
It was definitely a real winner for me, yeah. :)

I just love the concept of the game, and the way it plays is so much fun.

As H-o-T said, not the most polished game in the world, but it had me in stitches pretty much throughout the entire thing. icon14.gif

Also, the "In Ze Remote" feature is undoubtedly the most creative use of the Wii Remote ever, by any developer... including Nintendo! :o

So good, that it even got released as a stand-alone WiiWare title.

Eledees was a launch game that passed me by
Never too late. It can be found for next to nothing these days, like a fiver! You should definitely pick it up if you can. Although I must warn you, it can and most probably will cause you motion sickness. :heh:

In my 25+ years of gaming, I've never had any problem with that, other than with Eledees.

Pleased to see Mario Kart Wii so high, as I love that game too!
It's funny because it's actually one of my least favourite Mario Kart games (alongside Double Dash), I just wasn't a fan of Bikes and thought that the game was seriously unbalanced as a result of their inclusion, but even when MK isn't on top form, it's still great fun. And I got 300 hours play-time out of it (mainly thanks to the N-E League) which is why it's so high on my list. :hehe:

Galaxy's music is just incredible! I don't have the game anymore but that music made me wish I did!
I know, every time I hear Gusty Garden it sends shivers down my spine... every time. :bowdown:

Phew! Finally done.

What is really surprising is just how many 3rd party games made it in to my list. I decided to add a trailer for each game and then I went through each games topic and found a quote I made which best described my feelings from when I was playing the game at the time.

Everyone who knows me should guess my number one though. :heh:

Enjoy!

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

I’m surprised more people on here haven't picked this up. It’s a fantastic 3rd party game, highly polished and Capcom deserve much praise for bringing it over to the west. Just wish there was a bit more crack on here about it.

Hero-of-Time: 30/01/2010

Another entry in my list from Capcom ( seriously, what happened to you guys? ) and one that I’m really thankful for. There was a time when such games wouldn’t have made it out of Japan due to the licensing issues, but Capcom found a way to make it work and managed to get the game a western release.

The game is so easy to get to grips with and quite frankly, more fun that Streetfighter or Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the HD twins. Yes, like any fighter if you put the time in you could pull off stupid combos, but this didn’t make it a requirement to actually beat the game. The last boss was a breath of fresh air after all of the cheap SOB that is Seth in SFIV.

The shooting mini game was a fantastic addition to the main game. I spent many an hour playing through that thing to try and get all of the unlockables. Time well spent in this humble gamers opinion.

Well done Capcom for bringing this over and allowing me to play one of the best beat-em ups I have played in a long time.

ExciteTruck

This game really has the addictive factor going for it. You finish a course with a ranking less than S and it begs you to try again it really is a fun game to play.

Hero-of-Time: 17/02/07

Surprisingly I didn’t get this game on release day. For some reason the game just did not appeal to me at all. I then started reading through the thread here on N-E and everyone was raving on about it. I decided to buy the game and see what all the fuss was about.

What I found was a fantastic racer that was fun but also very deep. It was great trying to find all of the shortcuts and hidden path ways, while at the same time trying to main my speed, while looking for big hills that I could do some awesome jump[s from to gain a boost. It took me a while to get certain actions down, such as spinning, but once I had I was pulling off tricks and speeding off ramps like an expert….or Cube :)

The game had that ‘just one more go’ factor about it, especially when you were trying to get a S rank. You just kept pushing yourself further and further until you gained the rank you were after but during the whole process it never really got frustrating or tiresome. It was just pure racing fun.

It’s moments like these that make me glad I’m part of this forum. Without everyone giving their thoughts on the game I would never have gave this game a try. Ok, never is a bit strong, but it may have taken me a lot longer to purchase it. :D

Metroid:Other M

I’m quite happy how it's turned out. I went in to the game ready to hate it but ended up loving it to bits.

Hero-of-Time: 11/09/2010

Ah, the Metroid game that spilt the fans. Luckily for me I’m not a huge fan of the series anyway, so with me not being so invested in the series I just played this for what it was….an amazing game.

What turned me off with the Prime games was the amount of exploration and back tracking that was needed to be done. The levels, though beautiful, always felt too big and I often ended up getting lost. With Other M the games was set in a more linear fashion and was able to enjoy the game a lot more for it.

The story and characters really grew on me. Looking back at when I first started to play this I really didn’t care for what they had done to Samus, but by the end I liked that they showed a more emotional and human side to the character. Yes, the Baby thing was a little annoying, but I still loved the game.

Hands down this is the best Metroid game I have played.

DeBlob

What’s great is how the game music reacts to how you paint the buildings. I picked a funky style of music to play and it just reminded me of ToeJam and Earl for some reason

From the opening cutscene (which is great) the game just screams FUN. I was also glad I could get straight into the game as it teaches you how to play as you are playing the first world. No tutorial level = WIN!

Hero-of-Time: 29/09/2008

A game with a soundtrack this good and this catchy should be illegal :). The music in this game is as important to music in say a rhythm game. I would love to meet the genius who came up with the idea of music playing and getting louder the more colour you add to the world. Would be nice if real life worked like this, I would be splashing paint all over the place if that was the case. :grin:

This game is another fine example of a 3rd party thinking out of the box and delivering something really special to the system. I may have had issues with the jumping mechanic, having to flick the Wii mote to jump is never a good thing in my books, but I still managed to look past this issue and enjoy the game immensely.

Zack & Wiki

I was worried about Wiki as I read in a few reviews that he is annoying. I know that it’s still early days but I love him to bits. I demand some form of Wiki plush!

Hero-of-Time: 17/01/2008

Remember when Capcom weren’t a douche of a company? Good times, right? This game showed all of the good aspects of the Wii. It showed that if developers really put some thought in to a game then they could get something really unique. It showed that you could make a game that that was colourful and charming. It showed that you could make a game about a boy and his flying monkey. It’s a pity we live in a world where such games don’t really sell that well, which is a shame as this game was and still is amazing.

Like LKS the game had a certain Nintendo quality to it. The cartoony graphics hid some devious puzzles that would use the Wiimote to its full potential. Sure, some times the controls were a bit iffy, but this didn’t distract from the game. With loveable characters, fantastic visuals and a great amount of unlockables this game makes my list very easily.

Wario Land Shake Dimension

This game is awesome!!!

I have just finished the 1st world now and I’m already in love with the game. I especially love the little challenges that are on each level, this will keep me busy for a long time as I love me some unlockables.

Hero-of-Time: 25/09/08

Ah, Wario you greedy little SOB. What mischief have you gotten yourself into this time while trying to gain all the treasures of the world?

This game is an absolute gem. It really is. The wonderful 2D sprites were a joy to behold and it was nice to nice a developer not giving up on the 2d platforming genre. The gameplay was frantic as ever when dealing with Wario, as it was one mad dash through the level after the next. The game really kept you on your toes as you tried to work out the best way to get the treasure and then get the hell out of there in time.

One of my fondest memories of this game is the challenges that need to be completed after the main game was over. You had to do certain things in stages like not getting hit by an enemy or not falling into water. I like to try 100% my games and these kind of challenges were right up my alley.

I would love a sequel to this game by Good Fell or even let them tackle another Nintendo franchise but keep the same artistic style. Man, just think what a game like this would look like on the Wii U.

*drools at the prospect*

Little Kings Story

Words cannot describe how much im enjoying and loving this game so I will do this.

:bouncy::bouncy::grin::D:love::love::bouncy::grin::D:love::heart::heart::bowdown::awesome::awesome:

:bowdown::bowdown::yay::yay::heart::heart::D:kiss::kiss::heart::heart:

Hero-of-Time: 23/04/2009

There was a time on these boards before Fused King was around that I was the one always harping on about this game. I really pushed this game to members and wanted it to do well, so much so that I actually typed up the ONM review so that it would get people interested. Seriously, go check the LKS thread. :D

There is something magical about this game, almost as if Nintendo themselves had created it. The game has a charm to it that very few games can replicate, both visually and in the audio area. The story book cut scenes are some of my favourite on the Wii.

Gameplay wise the game was a master piece. Many simply wrote it off as a copy of Pikmin and although they are both kind of RTS games they are very different in execution. Like Pikmin though you do become attached to your units and you do everything to protect them and stop them from washing up on the beach the next day.

One of the big highlights of the game are the boss battles and the music that accompanies them. Each was like some Japanese developer had experienced some nightmare as a child and then drew upon that experience to create some wacky creature, each more crazier than the last. Coupled with some classical style music these made for some very memorable gameplay moments.

A Boy & His Blob

I will say it again, this game is a masterpiece and should be in every Wii owners collection. It’s an essential 3rd party game and up there with the likes of DeBlob and Little Kings Story. Wayforward I salute you!

Hero-of-Time: 12/11/2009

Wayforward created a game about a boy and his attachment to a blob. Juvenile humour aside this game is stunning, simply stunning. The cartoon style that Wayforward used was very well suited to the game and it’s story. Many reviews just disregarded the games story because on the surface it is pretty wafer thin. The blob crashes to earth and wants to get home, that’s where the little boy comes in. What is great is how you, or at least I did, became attached to the both of them. When the boy hugs the blob it’s such an awwwww moment and these are scattered though the game.

Gameplay wise the game can be a bit fiddly at times, but what I do really love is how the game doesn’t punish you much for failing to make the right moves. The game is generous by giving you infinite lives and checkpoints every few screens. This helped keep the mood light and stopped things from getting frustrating.

There were a few people on here who did play the game but I implore all of those who haven’t to get out there and hunt down a copy of this magical game.

Mario Galaxy 2

I absolutely LOVE Cloud Mario, he just looks so cool. It’s easily my favourite suit that I've come across so far in the game.

As expected the game is just oozing colour and charm and with this being said Nintendo's philosophy of making people smile has never been more true. Once again it’s just a shame I have to go to work at 2 or I would have been on this all afternoon.

Hero-of-Time: 11/06/2010

The first Mario Galaxy game was amazing, but this one just did everything better. Nintendo had the sense to get rid of the hub world, which made things a lot easier and smoother in terms of getting on with the game. Yoshi made his glorious return, the levels were more varied and the music was once again on top form.

The game offered more of a challenge than the original did, especially the final star, man that took some doing! I remember failing so many times during the course of that stage but though perseverance and knowing that I would never live this down if I didn’t get it, I pushed through the barrier and nabbed me the final star.

It’s crazy to think that this game was built on left over ideas that Nintendo had from Mario Galaxy and for me the left overs were far more delicious than the main meal. Truly a classic.

Monster Hunter Tri

Well I've just done a spot of shopping and bought my munchies for tomorrow, something to wash it down with and a lot of spare batteries for my controller. With these supplies placed next to my CCP and keyboard I’m all set. Just need the game now...

IMG_0341.jpg

"DORITOS! What all real Monster Hunters eat!" :D

Hero-of-Time: 21/04/12

This was always going to be my number one game on the Wii. ALWAYS.

From the moment that the first trailer was released I was so hyped. I honestly had tears in my eyes when the trailer hit, it was kind of a Zelda TP reveal moment for me. I have been a fan of the series since the original game back on the PS2 and seeing the classic beast such as Rathlos and Rathian back in action was a dream come true.

A big bonus about the game this time around was it was on a Nintendo console, which meant that the guys on here could finally see what I was raving on about all this time. It was great meeting up with you lot and planning strategies for various quests. The banding together that went on when someone needed help, the first time I brought down Alatreon/Deviljoe, getting that one rare drop you needed for a new weapon or piece of equipment, all of these moments make up what the MH series is all about and the fact that I finally got to share these moments with people on here made it even better.

After 700 hours of gameplay I was finally done and ready for a new instalment. I’m still waiting Capcom….

Ahh, it warms the cockles of my heart to see some real surprise choices (never would I have expected Rabbids Go Home!), nice to see some variety with some of the choices round here :D

And with that said, here's my contribution...

Number 10 (Wait, you pick THAT one!? But it's a disgrace to the series!)

Metroid Other M

(Nintendo SPD1/Team Ninja)

E3-2010-Metroid-Other-M-Screenshot.jpg

Other_M_Motivational_Baby.jpg

What is it that you look for in a game? and what is it that you expected this title to be? The answer to these two questions completely determine the "quality" of this title in the eyes of its beholder. In many respects, the well publicised backlash that this title has suffered is actually Nintendo's own fault. When you position this title as a heavily story driven experience that promises to be a direct sequel to Super Metroid and you fail to deliver on both fronts, it's unsurprising that people felt jilted.

So with the story falling flat on its face, with poor writing (on Sakamoto's part, not NOA Treehouse) and a nonsensical plot that starts poorly, we turn to the other half of the package and it is here that expectations come to the forefront. This game is a Metroid Fusion prequel, NOT a Super Metroid sequel and your appreciation for the 4th title in the series will largely cloud your judgement of this game. As a fan of the GBA classic, I loved this game; as a fan of the Metroid series, I loved this game; and as a fan of games that push boundaries and brave new frontiers of gameplay I REALLY loved this game!

The acrobatics of the 2D Metroid games come back in full force in spectacular fashion, with an innovative control scheme that works beautifully when you learn how to use it properly - an emphasis on distance creation for 1st person missile shooting, a de-emphasis on health/missile pickups and an interesting abuse of the 1st person lockon mechanic also make for an interesting survival element (one that really comes into play in the unlockable hard mode, which limits you to a single energy tank!) that hasn't been seen in a Metroid title before. The environmental navigation and design is like nothing ever before seen in a game and there's no other game with gameplay like this. It's a revolution in 3D game design that couldn't have been done on any other console and it fulfils that gameplay simplification/revolution concept that the Wii promised us all those years ago.

While Metroid Prime 3 is the more polished title of the two, it is Other M that is the most daring, the most innovative and the faster paced of the two. As it better encapsulates what the Wii is about to me, despite its blemishes, it narrowly edges out MP3 from my list.

Number 9 (Its origins may not stem from Wii, but it is here that lies its rightful home)

Cave Story

(Studio Pixel/Nicalis)

cave-story-20100315050714050.jpg

cavestory.jpg

While it may have began its life as a PC title (and since has been ported to multiple platforms) its first commercial release as a Wii Ware title best encapsulates the majesty of this experience. Made by just one man (Daisuke Amaya - who goes by the pen name of Pixel), it's a master class of game design that draws upon games like Metroid, Contra and Castlevania to create a classic that stands tall amongst its inspiration. Memorable characters, multilayered and inventive level design, with pixel perfect pacing and run & gun gameplay and an amazing chiptune sound track, this game has it all! While other versions exist, it is when you play it on a TV, with the Wii Classic Controller in your hands that all of these fantastic elements come together to create an experience that is somehow even greater than the sum of its parts :love:

Number 8 (Perhaps the most misunderstood game of all time)

Wii Music

(Nintendo EAD)

wiimusic2.jpg

wii_music_group_keynote_lg.jpg

That second image you see there is why everybody hated this game. That presentation completely killed this game's image in the eyes of the media and its a damn shame because it's an amazing tool for anyone who enjoys a good jam session. I'm not gonna rag on anymore about this gem (because I've already sung this game's praises in the Wii games that need a sequel thread), but the countless hours I've spent making F-Awesome DJ/Beatboxer/NES remixes of tunes with my friends are legendary (and can be enjoyed by anyone who owns the game and wishes to add me to their friend's list! :D )

Number 7 (Wait. There's more to medicine than just vaporising aliens with my pew pew zappy lazer gun!?)

Trauma Team

(Atlus)

trauma-team-orthopaedics.jpg

0.jpg

What would happen if Trauma Center stepped out of the OR and had a baby with the Ace Attorney series? Trauma Team is the answer! Divided into 6 different game types with overlapping stories (think Sonic Adventure, but without the suck), it (mostly) dumps the sci-fi nonsense like GUILT and explores the world of medicine beyond your typical TC surgery (which is one of the 6 game types BTW!). Does this excursion beyond the OR bear success? You bet your arse it does! :D

2 of the 5 new game types are based on surgery (First Response and Orthopedics), but add some interesting twists to the formula that really shake things up and keep things feeling fresh, while Endoscopy features the most innovative use of the Wiimote's spatial positioning feature seen in any Wii game (don't listen to those morons who couldn't figure out the controls, they work perfectly); never before has shoving a stick up someone's bumhole been so fun! :D

The most interesting ones of all however are Diagnosis and (especially) Forensics. The former plays out like a game version of the TV show, House; It's an experience that is mostly plot driven and one that is written beautifully. Forensics however, is straight up Ace Attorney and fans of that series will LOVE it. Surprisingly dark and twisted is its tale and engaging all throughout, with fantastic clue hunting/contradiction/whodunnit finding gameplay to match :D

The best regional exclusive released this generation by far. A crime that this was unallowed to be released this side of the pond :(

Number 6 (A comeback so Rare, it's Retro!)

Donkey Kong Country Returns

(Retro Studios)

donkey-kong-country-returns-20101119092730688-000.jpg

E3-2010-Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-Preview.jpg

At the start of the generation, who would've expected the Wii to herald the return of the 2D platformer? (and this game faces some serious competition!) But it is Donkey Kong who triumphs over his rivals as king of the jungle, with Retro showing all else how it's done. Expertly and lovingly crafted levels that, while not capturing the mood of the original DKC games, captures the speed running essence of those games and leaves them in the dust. Crafted to such dizzying heights to be thought impossible to attain, it deserves to be loved and worshipped. Even Cranky Kong himself would be proud of what Retro have accomplished here! :D

Number 5 (The most unlikely sequel ever)

Sin & Punishment Successor of the Skies/Star Successor

(Nintendo SPD2/Treasure)

sin-punishment-2-screens.jpg

sp1014.jpg

Nobody could've possibly have saw this coming, yet alone getting a worldwide release and yet, everybody knew from the outset that the console was practically made for this game. Needless to say, it does not disappoint! It's the best arcade style rail shooter ever made and the ultimate expression of what the Wii offers to the genre. Quite possibly Treasure's finest game! :bowdown:

Number 4 (Welcome to paradise!)

Wii Sports Resort

(Nintendo EAD)

wii-sports-resort-20080715110346342_640w.jpg

wii-sports-resort.jpg

Where Wii Sports started, Wii Sports Resort took over. Channeling all that was good about the original game as well as WaveRace 64 and Pilotwings, it's the wonderful feel good vibe that creates an experience that is somehow warm and familiar from the moment you turn it on. It's funny how WuHu Island felt familar to me, even though I had never been there before!

Finally, a full realisation of the controls that we were all promised with the Wii back in 2006, and it's exactly what I wanted. The sword fighting game is the best Star Wars Lightsaber game ever made :D

All the other sports are also fantastic and hide an incredible amount of depth that is cleverly hidden beneath the surface. It's a game that anyone can play but only few will ever master - the perfect representation of the console!

Number 3 (The best experiences are the one that blindside you out of nowhere)

Monster Hunter Tri

(Capcom Production Studio 1)

monster_hunter_tri_screen_1.jpg

shakalaka-grill02-580w.jpg

I had no idea what to expect when my cousin showed me this game. I had heard of the series before, but never really gave it much of a chance (the fact that it was only on PS2 and PSP when I never owned either of them didn't help either!). 290 hours later (my most played Wii game!) and I'm now screaming at Capcom to bring over Monster Hunter 3G! It's a hellishly addictive grind and yet an incredibly rewarding experience unlike any other series (no other clone comes close). The satisfaction that comes from finally toppling Deviljho is unmatched! :D

And while it doesn't really take advantage of the Wii's control capabilities, its online community is a far sight away from the cesspool that is Xbox Live and PSN. A true sense of togetherness that "We" is all about!

So again I scream WHERE THE FUCK IS MONSTER HUNTER 3G FOR THE WEST!?!?!?

Number 2 (The best thing since sliced Chrono Trigger)

Xenoblade Chronicles

(Monolith Soft)

That trailer... from the moment I saw that, I knew this would be something special. In a time where the traditional JRPG genre has fallen so far from grace that there is no floor beneath it any longer, it would take nothing short of a divine miracle to restore my faith in these games...

Turns out that Xenoblade was that miracle and then some!

It's tied for 1st place alongside Chrono Trigger as the best traditional JRPG ever made. A world as grand as an open world GTA, yet as well crafted and lovingly produced as the best 16 bit RPGs. A game that takes a minimum of 70 hours to complete and yet has perfect pacing in both gameplay mechanics and story. A massive cast of characters who you actually care about (take THAT Chrono Cross!) and exploration like you had always dreamed of experiencing since you were a kid.

It's all that and a bag of chips really. Ironic then is it that the console supposedly ill suited to the genre actually produced its one saving grace this generation. And to think that we almost never got it on our shores! :shakehead

Truly its tale of development is nothing short of a miracle... so what could possibly top that?

Number 1 (I guarantee that everyone already knows my answer...)

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

(Nintendo EAD)

gameplayskywardsword.png

Ghirahim.png

legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-1.jpg

It's the game I wanted the moment I heard about the console and it didn't disappoint. Rather than fill this page with my thoughts, I'll just lazily link you to my review posted in the official thread...

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1410857&postcount=1653

Honorable Mentions go to (in no particular order - that would take forever!)

Castlevania Rebirth, Contra Rebirth, Super Mario Galaxy 1, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Strikers Charged Football, Trauma Center New Blood, Trauma Center Second Opinion, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Maboshi's Arcade, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, World of Goo, Bomberman Blast, Metroid Prime 3, Rhythm Heaven Fever/Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's Return to Dreamland/Kirby's Adventure Wii, Ivy The Kiwi?, No More Heroes, Excitebots, Punch-out!!, Zack & Wiki, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Art-Style Orbient, Art-Style Cubello, Megaman 9, Art-Style light trax, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports

Edited by Retro_Link

@RedShell OK you probably have been waiting for my reaction to your Top 10 (nice touch on putting it in a video by the way) as you probably already know what I'm gonna say....

Top top marks for having MH3 at number 1, I like to think I might have helped in some way to your enjoyment of that game....however....

Xenoblade not making your top 10 :o

When MH4 comes out you do realise I'm so gonna launch you into the air the first time I see you in a hunt....but we'll be even after that :wink:

EDIT:

Oh and @Dcubed you seem to have two "number 3"'s

Oh and @Dcubed you seem to have two "number 3"'s

Fixed. Cheers! (Had to make up for RedShell's lack of Xenoblade representation!) : peace:

Number 8 (Perhaps the most misunderstood game of all time)
Hey! That line is copyrighted material. :laughing:

wii_music_group_keynote_lg.jpg

That second image you see there is why everybody hated this game. That presentation completely killed this game's image in the eyes of the media and its a damn shame because it's an amazing tool for anyone who enjoys a good jam session.

Yep, you're absolutely spot-on about this I reckon.

Nintendo's intentions were obviously good, but that presentation backfired immensely. :blank:

Still, it shouldn't have caused the backlash that it did, and it just goes to show that there are waaaay too many "sheep" in video game journalism and amongst the fans. :nono:

If people just trusted their own instincts [/PeppyHare :heh:], rather than playing follow the leader, we'd all be much better off. ::shrug:

I like to think I might have helped in some way to your enjoyment of that game....
Indeed. :)

I wouldn't have played it half as much as I did if it wasn't for you. :hug:

The whole MH3 thing for me is pretty amazing actually, I mean I almost missed out on it completely! :o

Ended up picking it up much later on down the line, pretty much by chance (for the bargain price of a tenner!) and it was to become my most played Wii game! 529 hours!!

however....

Xenoblade not making your top 10 :o

When MH4 comes out you do realise I'm so gonna launch you into the air the first time I see you in a hunt....but we'll be even after that :wink:

Hehehe... :D

I was expecting this.

Hey man, you know I love Xenoblade. I saw it through to the end didn't I? Which is more than some people on here have done... *cough* ;)

But when it comes to my top 10, every single one of those games on my list had/has the ability to make me laugh, which is the thing that I value most of all when playing video games.

Now Xenoblade did have some funny moments (mainly involving Riki :grin:), but that's not really what it's about, is it?

This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it, or don't enjoy "serious" games, but my personal preference is always going to be on games with an emphasis on humour.

: peace:

Hehehe... :

I was expecting this.

Hey man, you know I love Xenoblade. I saw it through to the end didn't I? Which is more than some people on here have done... *cough* ;)

But when it comes to my top 10, every single one of those games on my list had/has the ability to make me laugh, which is the thing that I value most of all when playing video games.

Now Xenoblade did have some funny moments (mainly involving Riki :grin:), but that's not really what it's about, is it?

This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it, or don't enjoy "serious" games, but my personal preference is always going to be on games with an emphasis on humour.

: peace:

I can see why you picked HOTDOverkill then!

Brilliant writing in that game! Easily one of the funniest games I've ever played. If the gameplay was as good as the writing, I'd have gladly added it to my list! (sadly it doesn't come close to the mainline HOTD games in that respect :( )

I'm surprised that you didn't have No More Heroes in your list (not even an honourable mention!). Would've thought that would be right up your alley... (I loved it at least, sequel is nowhere near as good though...)

What is really surprising is just how many 3rd party games made it in to my list.

Yeah me too. I would've thought it to be a lot more Nintendo heavy than it has turned out to be! (plus a good few of my choices were collab 1st/3rd party titles)

Man I wish I could've played MHTri with you guys :( (DAMN YOU CAPCPOM FOR REGION LOCKING THE SERVERS!)

Edited by Dcubed

I'm surprised that you didn't have No More Heroes in your list (not even an honourable mention!). Would've thought that would be right up your alley...

Honourable mentions go to...

Xenoblade Chronicles, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Excite Truck, Marbles! Balance Challenge, GoldenEye 007, Go Vacation, Little King's Story, de Blob, Wii Sports Resort, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Endless Ocean, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, No More Heroes, Punch-Out!!, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl...

Easily missed due to there being so many honourable mentions, but it's definitely in there. :hehe:

And yeah, another very humorous game.

Like I said before though, putting together this list was really tough. There's just such a massive amount of quality software on Wii! When you go and look back on everything to do something like this is when it really hits home.

Easily missed due to there being so many honourable mentions, but it's definitely in there. :hehe:

And yeah, another very humorous game.

Like I said before though, putting together this list was really tough. There's just such a massive amount of quality software on Wii! When you go and look back on everything to do something like this is when it really hits home.

Whoops! Must be all that 3DS playing doing my eyes in (ZOMG!!! THE DAILY MAIL WAS RIGHT!!!)

And you're absolutely right about this list being difficult to make. Just making the honourable mentions took forever, and that could've easily have been made much longer if I showed a shread of leniency! (I dare not speak of how long the top 10 took :blush:). The Wii really did accumulate a great library (3rd party games and all!)

I always love this part of a console cycle though. Always a nice warm feeling that you get, looking back at the final result.

Always a very different perspective comes out when you look back without the frustrations of the staggered release lists and politics behind the generational cycle clouding your judgement, as you can just look back at what the console was, rather than what it was not :)

It's like with the GCN, how we all got frustrated with the lack of certain multi platform releases and delays upon delays, but now we can just look back fondly on the games we did get in their final state. Always 2 sides to the coin there are!

Edited by Dcubed

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

The original was a masterpiece – but this is an improvement in every way. Every level and every challenge felt that little bit more polished. The inventive nature of each challenge and the way Nintendo had taken almost every idea in the original and pushed it to the next level is astounding. Everything about this game is pure brilliance and at the same time it’s longer and provides a much tougher challenge. Along with Ocarina of Time this is possibly the single greatest game ever created and proof that when it comes to game play no other developer comes close to Nintendo. This is pure gaming heaven.

2. Metroid Prime Trilogy

The best game of the previous generation, it’s sequel and one of the best games of this generation, all on one disc. Add to this the fact the original titles were both enhanced with Wii remote aiming and slight graphical improvements. This is possibly the greatest disc ever created! These games are all pure gaming gold, they perfectly translate the feeling of the classic Metroid games into 3D and bring them to life in a way I couldn’t have conceived possible. Everything about these games is so close to perfection - the level design, the story telling, the pacing, the puzzles and the attention to detail. A collection of masterpieces.

3. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Twilight Princess was a great game - but it started its life on the Gamecube. Skyward Sword was the Wii's real Zelda, built from the ground up to take advantage of the Wii's motion plus controls and with a beautiful and breathtaking graphical style that was truly unique. But the real difference about Skyward Sword was the new structure - it redefined Zelda games. The dungeons were smaller and more focused and journey between dungeons felt far more action packed and filled with puzzles and action. It not only showed that Zelda could still evolve but that the Wii was still so capable of bringing new experiences to the table.

4. Mario Kart Wii

I always enjoyed each home console Mario Kart slightly less than the last. Mario Kart Wii was a huge return to form and I actually felt it was the first in the series to actually eclipse the original. A mix of wonderful new tracks and classic old ones (N64 Bowser castle – OH YES), new racers, new vehicles, bikes and a superb 12 player online mode hosted on dedicated servers. The game felt so vibrant and while new players seemed to get to grips instantly with the Wii Wheel the Classic Controller and Gamecube pad were there for the more serious gamer. I plowed well over 350 hours into this game alone, online and with family and friends.

5. Super Mario Galaxy

When Mario took his first steps into 3D on the N64 it was an industry changing moment. Two generations later and Mario 64 was finally bested! This game has an incredible sense of WOW. Jumping from planetoid to planetoid and fighting familiar foes felt both startlingly new and old all at the same time. Perfect controls, beautiful graphics, a massive challenge but most of all pure gaming fun. This game shows just how far Nintendo are ahead of the pack. Nintendo had managed to redefine 3D platforming whilst the rest of the industry was still struggling to match a game released back in 1996.

6. Donkey Kong Country Returns

I always thought Mario was the king of the platformers – not this generation. DKCR is the pinnacle of the 2D platform revival and shines on every level. Every level exhibits incredibly tight design which flows beautifully. There are several types of gameplay, from traditional platforming, mine cart rides and piloting explosive barrels. Each level looks amazing, with scenery in both the foreground and the background being integral to the experience. The visual treats ensure that each world looks different and inviting. It also brings an old school difficultly level. A Retro Studies masterpiece.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Treyarch raised the bar with COD:MWR, but they totally smashed it with Black Ops. Whilst the single player is solid but unremarkable, online is where it is at. A whole new online system, no friend codes and voice chat via headset. This is how online should be done on the Wii. The full multiplayer experience is in; combat training, wager matches and four player co-operative Zombies. This game is a must for any Wii shooter fan or for anyone that likes COD but wants to try out the perfectly balanced pointer controls. The shear amount of modes and the huge amount of content will keep you going for hundreds of hours.

8. Monster Hunter Tri

This game will eat your time like Pac-Man eats dots. From forging your weapons and armour to the epic hunts themselves, everything takes a long time. The sense of achievement when you do get your new weapon or you finally defeat a monster that filled the screen is unrivalled. With a great online system (second only to Black Ops) this game will forge friendships between you and your hunting party. Graphically this game looks good enough to be on an HD system and the attention to detail in the design of the monsters, the beautiful locales and the massive amount of weapons and armours is astounding.

9. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition

Resident Evil is a classic series comprised of some of the most loved games ever made. Resident Evil 4 is the best of the series and the best third person action title ever made. This is the definitive version of that game. With the graphics of the Gamecube version, the extras of the PS2 version and new improved Wii remote aiming (plus several other set ups) this game is an improved version of what already was a masterpiece. Amazing pacing, beautiful graphics and a great atmosphere of tension - this game has it all.

10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

A long time ago I remember reading an April Fools’ joke in a Nintendo mag about a Mario fighting game. Who would’ve guessed that ‘joke’ was a pretty accurate prediction. What it didn’t predict was how good the series would be, or that Brawl would be the biggest selling fighting game this generation! A massive roster, incredible graphics and one of the best Nintendo stories ever. They managed to weave so many characters into one tale which was all told with the most wonderful cut scenes. The game play was also classic Nintendo, so easy to get into but with so many hidden depths and more content than you can shake a stick at.

I did my own original top 25 some time ago, you can see it here:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31830

Near misses on this new revised top 10 are:

Wii Sports

Twilight Princess

Xenoblade Chronicles