NEurope
Retro_Link

VOTE: N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! (THANKYOU!)

Guys I have deleted and modified some posts in this thread. This is YOUR top Wii games, nobody elses, just yours. You do not have to justify why you want them in YOUR top 10, nor will you criticise anyone elses choices.

Lets keep it clean and this thread on track. : peace:

Guys I have deleted and modified some posts in this thread. This is YOUR top Wii games, nobody elses, just yours. You do not have to justify why you want them in YOUR top 10, nor will you criticise anyone elses choices.

Lets keep it clean and this thread on track. : peace:

Well then whats yours?

Where's my little drunken rant left in the early hours about Skyward Sword gone to? Surely I'm entitled to post my opinion and I never got to read all the responses that were left. It wasn't bad, if you want to see bad just ask me what I think of Rhythm Paradise? I think I'm going to be sick.

Edit: I just read what @Hero\-of\-Time had to say and I say discussion and debate is healthy. Nobody here is made of delicate glass and is gonna be smashed to pieces if I throw a stone their way. This board isn't North Korea or at least I thought it wasn't.

Edited by Wii

Where's my little drunken rant left in the early hours about Skyward Sword gone to? Surely I'm entitled to post my opinion and I never got to read all the responses that were left. It wasn't bad, if you want to see bad just ask me what I think of Rhythm Paradise? I think I'm going to be sick.

Edit: I just read what @Hero\-of\-Time had to say and I say discussion and debate is healthy. Nobody here is made of delicate glass and is gonna be smashed to pieces if I throw a stone their way. This board isn't North Korea or at least I thought it wasn't.

You wanna rant on about a Skyward Sword, then do it in SS topic.

Well then whats yours?

All in good time.

Edit: I just read what Hero-of-Time had to say and I say discussion and debate is healthy. Nobody here is made of delicate glass and is gonna be smashed to pieces if I throw a stone their way. This board isn't North Korea or at least I thought it wasn't.

He also deleted the posts that replied to that rant (I came close to responding myself).

Debates are not inherently healthy, by the way, as a flame war is technically still a debate. Considering you insulted those with differing opinions before you even mentioned what you were talking about, well...

Besides, like H-o-T said, this is a thread for personal lists, not to discuss a specific game.

Anyway!

I just noticed every single list posted so far has a different game in the top spot (Until I came along, that is :heh:). Goes to show how varied the Wii is.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
  2. Mario Kart Wii
  3. Super Smash Bros Brawl
  4. Little Kings Story
  5. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
  6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  7. Mario Strikers Charged
  8. Wii Sports
  9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  10. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

Wow, you really liked Super Mario Galaxy 2. But not enough to put it in your top spot. Only 6 and 9...

Will aspire to provide justification later

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2

4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

5. Metroid Prime 3

6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

7. Little King's Story

8. Metroid: Other M

9. GoldenEye 007

10. No More Heroes

Sadly-just-missing-out-but-me-mentioning-them-might-tempt-others: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Red Steel 2, Battalion Wars 2, Sin & Punishment 2, Zack & Wiki

10 - New Super Mario Bros Wii

For the 4 player carnage but I also love 2D Mario games so had to make my top 10 because of this.

9 - Little Kings Story

Great music, gameplay and story puts this game into my 10, really surprised I liked this so much. Quirky and so much fun.

8 - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro did a great job reviving the 2D Donkey Kongs, if only we could give them Banjo...

7 - Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

Loved the art style, game play and motion controls, wasnt fully captured by the story but still loved this game and Groose!

6 - Super Smash Bros Brawl

Being a Sonic fan, I was pretty stoked that he showed up. Hours devoted to the main quest and beating my friends, would be higher but online was disappointing.

5 - Resident Evil 4

Although a remake/port I loved the motion controls and the story. Never played this on GC so was fresh for me on the Wii and loved every minute.

4 - Goldeneye 007

For the online play. No other game has had so much use from me in the last 18 months. Still playing online today and i bought this on release day. rate this highly.

3 - Mario Kart Wii

Love the MK series, single player and online both great, the only thing i didnt like were the Bikes... and Funky Kong. Brillant tracks and gameplay

2 - Super Mario Galaxy 2

Galaxy 1 was a masterpiece (havent put that in as its similar to this) Galaxy 2 bettered the first and had Yoshi... Amazing game and the second best 3D platformer ever made (after Mario 64)

1 - Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

One of my favorite games ever, didnt read reviews of the game before I bought it so was initially disappointed that Ganondorf didnt make it into the game and thought Zant was the main villian... Ganondorf appears later in the game and it just keeps giving. Dark storyline, decent graphics, great gameplay and the twist of being Wolf Link make this my favorite Wii game and one of my all time favorite games ever.

Guys, what do we think to having both Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid Prime Trilogy? as games that can be nominated?

Would it be ok if both these games made the final list? Or would it feel like a wasted place?

If so, should we just say that any votes for Metroid Prime 3, should just be classed as the Metroid Prime Trilogy?... as ultimately that game is the greater celebration of Metroid on Wii, including both the previous games also received upgrades.

---

Also, Welcome to the Forums @Gardy! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Guys, what do we think to having both Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid Prime Trilogy? as games that can be nominated?

Would it be ok if both these games made the final list? Or would it feel like a wasted place?

If so, should we just say that any votes for Metroid Prime 3, should just be classed as the Metroid Prime Trilogy?... as ultimately that game is the greater celebration of Metroid on Wii, including both the previous games also received upgrades.

---

If we can have other games that were on the GC and released or re-released on the Wii I see no reason not to allow both Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Prime 3.

Maybe there is an odd off chance of someone that hates MP1&2 but loves 3, wouldn't be fair to them to be forced into voting on the Trilogy.

I say both count as the Trilogy. Unless you hate extra content somehow, MP3 is fully included there.

1. Wii Sports

I have never seen my mother play a video game. And I just can't explain how moving it was to see her not only play Wii Sports, but utterly enjoy it and actively ask if she could play some more. Wii Sports completely reinvented gaming, for every console. It will be the game that will always define the Wii. And it was bloody fun as well.

2. Okami

The best Zelda game ever and there's not even a hint of green caps and golden triangles. I know this is a port, but the Wii was the console it seems to have been designed for.

3. Super Mario Galaxy

Perfect platform revolution. So Mario. So original. And the music alone would put this in the Top 10. Wind Waker was the last game which gave me this sense of wonder... when you first crash into the Good Egg Galaxy, with that music swelling, nothing this gen can compare.

4. Donkey Kong Country Returns

And the best 2D plat former that Nintendo has put out since Yoshi's Island. Every level had a million different ideas and the multiplayer actually worked, unlike NSMB Wii. Gorgeous.

5. Monster Hunter Tri

I unfortunately had to replace my Wii and lost all my data for this but the times I spent playing with you guys online was my favourite online gaming experience ever.

6. De Blob

Not much else to say other than I love games which have no predecessor. Never played a game like this. It does what games often forget to do, and make something original but entirely satisfying and addictive. Painting the town was like nothing I played before, but exactly what I was missing.

7. Little King's Story

Another game which could just be added by default for the music alone. Adorable, tough and hard to put down. Just... well done.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

It's a little sad that the game which shows how the Wii can work with normal games comes in its final year, and it's not the greatest Zelda of all time, but playing this game will always be a very memorable experience. The plot was fun and unique and it was a great way to celebrate the 25th.

9. Goldeneye 007

It is also sad that this didn't spark a wave of high quality Wii shooters. The controls are perfect and it is worthy of the title.

10. Xenoblade Chronicles

The game is immense. It's only fault is being too big, too long... my attention span can only take so much. That sad, the game is flawless in itself. So many great... choices.

---

I say that any vote for Metroid Prime Trilogy should either be counted as Metroid Prime 3 or discarded entirely.

Allow people to vote for New Play Control Metroid Prime 1 & 2 individually if you must (they were released separately in Japan after all), but it's completely unfair to compare a compilation of 3 games against 1 single game in a list like this!

MP Trilogy is not a game, it's a compilation of games.

Due to recent discussion about the Metroid Prime Trilogy, I've altered my top 10.

Just gonna list my top 10... might add some proper descriptions later

1: Xenoblade

Just pure beautiful...Characters that I grew to love, an epic Story, seemless transition between field exploration and battles, amazing battle mechanics and a large...no massive...no giant...ack there is no word in the dictionary to describe the size of the world created that was just so far beyond expectations and beyond what I thought was technically possible on Wii. will be starting a 2nd playthrough soon in run up to WiiU release

2: Monster Hunter Tri

The N-E Brotherhood help make this game extra special...so much so I put over 800 hours into it mainly online. 500 hours on my first file and 300 rebuilding my game after losing my save file, addictive stuff indeed

3: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

4: Metroid Prime Trilogy

(3 awesome games on 1 Disc...GET IN THERE)

5: Super Mario Galaxy

6: No More Heroes

7: Call of Duty Black Ops (for the online awesomeness with N-E Clan)

8: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

9: Fatal Frame 4 (I know it wasn't released here but I have played it and I do love it)

10: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Notable Mentions: Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, RE4: Wii edition, WiiSports, WiiSports Resort, Excite Truck, Goldeneye, House of the Dead Overkill, Cursed Mountain, Mario Kart Wii, Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock, Mario Skrikers Charged Football, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, COD: Modern Warfare 3...before the Online became infested with hackers

I'll have a go at this the next time I have a look at my Wii games. I'm not even sure i have 10 games, but i'll rank the ones i do have...

I have to say, this is proving trickier than I thought. My number one game was never in any doubt. Two, Three and Four are picked, I just need to confirm the order though I'm almost there. Five is pretty much set. And as for the rest, I have no idea. I didn't realise how tough this would be. There are 8 games vying for those last 5 slots and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to whittle it down.

10. New Super Mario Bros Wii

Under-rated and fun platformer. Better levels than the handheld versions of the 'New' series and just as replayable as Mario's NES and SNES 2D adventures.

9. The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

A formulaic Zelda adventure, yet still a great one.

8. Rock Band : The Beatles

Take the popular plastic instrument rhythm genre and add the music catalogue of one of the world's most popular bands and you have one of the best music games available.

7. House of the Dead Overkill

Fun gameplay with plenty of enjoyable dialogue and set pieces. Feels like revisiting a favourite movie every time you play it.

6. Beat the Beat : Rhythm Paradise

Rhythm Paradise DS was excellent, but the precise controls here, along with the humorous 'missions' and catchy music made this version even better.

5. Goldeneye 007

The best single player campaign mode in an FPS this generation.

4. Call of Duty : Black Ops

Excellent and addictive online multiplayer, which became even more memorable thanks to countless gaming sessions with the N-E clan.

3. Donkey Kong Country Returns

A great challenging 2D platformer.

2. Rayman Origins

Just as great and chllenging as DKCR, but the better boss battles here means it's the superior 2D platformer.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Supermassive Galaxy. Flip Swap Galaxy. Honeybloom Galaxy. Throwback Galaxy. Shiverburn Galaxy. Tall Trunk Galaxy. Beat Block Galaxy. Enough said? Perfect 3D platforming and the 2D stages were a bonus!

Number 10

No More Heroes

(Marvelous/Rising Star Games/Grasshopper Manufacturer 2008)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Since the moment I heard that sound, I was hooked. That sound has now been the message tone on my phone for the last 4 years and I really don’t see it changing any time soon. Heroes, as it was originally known, caught my eye like a lot of other people. So impressed by that original trailer, I actually went to the trouble of downloading it and I still have it now on my HDD – I just don’t seem to want to part with it. Looking good and playing good are two different things though and when IGN, who had been championing the game right up until its release, posted a positive but not exceptional review for the game, I was far more cautious surrounding the title. So what swung it? Well it was a combination of a bit of a price drop just weeks after release and reading the EDGE review. It made it sound like the kind of game I could get on board with. A game that isn’t afraid to say, “I’m a game” and then run with it. You can laugh at all the one liners, explore the satirical take on gaming conventions and read into every seemingly flippant remark spewed by characters and then realise a new way of interpreting it. You can also beat up some chumps and then swing your Wii Remote to deliver a finishing blow and split them in two. Of course if it’s against one of the games assassins, the beating up part takes on a whole new level as you look for openings in their attack patterns and identify the key moment to strike at them but even the regular stock of enemies can present a challenge if they gang up on you. It’s not crowd control on a Dead Rising scale but it’s enough to give the player something else to think about whilst on their murderous rampage. But when you realise he’s only killing people to get laid, you can’t help but admire the spirit of his conviction.

Number 9

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

(Capcom/Eighting 2010)

*Raises arm to chest* “Bird GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Now I suspect that is lost on everybody bar @Jonnas, so for those that don’t know, that’s what Ken the Eagle does to transform into Gatchaman. And before this games release, it would have been lost on me too. But having now watched over 100 episodes of the anime, it’s firmly lodged in my brain – now if someone who kindly sub the other series, I could carry on watching them. The character has now founds himself lodged into various usernames and passwords I operate for various things. Move over Nintendo references, there’s a new kid in town. I also now own the Karas anime, the Casshern film and am making my way through the 2008 version of Yattaman.

And all that because of one game were 2 people stand in front for each other and trade punches, and then 2 more jump when they fall down. Street Fighter IV may have been the big name in fighting at the time but anyone who passed by this was a fool. The single player mode was lacking, the netcode was suspicious, and the lack of character themes was very disappointing, but when it works, it really does work. Fast, elegant fighting with simple controls and tons of depth turns a deceptively simple button masher into a game worthy of heading up any fighting tournament – and maybe if MvC3 hadn’t come along, this would still have been at EVO. Plus 26 characters and no clones must be a fighting game record. That it got released was miraculous… that it was worth all the trouble is something else.

Number 8

Sonic Colours

(SEGA/Sonic Team 2010)

Sonic Colours shouldn’t exist. In the past, Sonic Team/SEGA Studios USA have been so concerned with the length of the games, they’ll do just about anything to bulk up the content. And when Sonic covers more ground in one level than Mario does in five, it’s understandable to see where those concerns are born from. So what do you do? You throw characters at it of course. Reuse the same level assets but change the characters abilities and you’ve just doubled the length of your game. The problem being once they’ve played it, everybody wishes they’d just left it as it was as a short but fun game. Sonic Colours takes a different approach. It keeps the extra characters well away and it tries a new trick of giving extra playtime by giving you extra content… content that you want - the same content that got you to sign up in the first place. What that means is 36 hedgehog based levels that focus on speed, platforming or both. Level design isn’t quite as over the top as it was in Sonic Team’s previous game, but it is more forgiving and paired with a tighter control scheme, there is far less to frustrate a player who is not fully familiar with the levels. A lot of reviews seemed to think the game took ideas from Super Mario Galaxy but personally, I think those claims are spurious at best. Not that being compared to Mario is a bad thing as all meant it positively but frankly, I just think they were failing to give the game the credit it was due. The most notable thing they have in common is that they are both way more fun than anyone expected them to be and standout titles for their franchise - not just on the Wii.

Number 7

Donkey Kong Country: Returns

(Nintendo/Retro Studios 2010)

I’ll be the first to admit, my initial impressions of this game weren’t the greatest, and I felt the praise being awarded to the title was completely disproportionate to the quality of the game. And then something changed. I started to appreciate the game for what it was, rather than critique it for what it wasn’t. It’s only “Returns” in the sense it’s a 2D scrolling platformer and that’s where I was going wrong. Judged on its own merits, there is an awful lot to love with this game. DK has fantastic sense of weight and momentum to his movements that is only hampered by the questionable shake to roll mechanic – had it been on the grab button like the previous games, it would have been perfect. Level design was on the whole very creative, though they could have eased up on the rocket barrel and mine cart stages a touch. Stopping to blow every piece of scenery, weak/repetitive bonus games and some uninspired boss fights are the major issue holding the game back but they can’t take the shine of an otherwise impressive game. By the end of my first playthrough, I was very much “it was decent but no Donkey Kong Country”. By the end of my second, I was “this is not Donkey Kong Country, it’s something else entirely - but it’s just as good. Now give me more!” Normally a second run through of a game only serves to highlight more of the issues you tend to gloss over on a first attempt but this did the complete opposite for me. Not many games can claim that.

Number 6

Mega Man 9

(Capcom/Inti Creates 2008)

10 years. That’s how long the blue bomber had been without a brand new game after starring with Bass in a Japan only (at the time) title. It was 11 years from the last numbered sequel and a darn sight more before he was last in an adventure deemed relevant. There are some games that look to their roots for inspiration, and then there is Mega Man 9 - a 2 button action game with 8-bit inspired graphics and chip tune soundtrack. Now that might sound like a radical throwback but in terms of the gameplay mechanics, the game had barely changed since its inception. The real “inspiring” is done is via incredibly tightly designed levels that test players of all skill levels and present plenty of opportunities for advanced players to demonstrate their mastery of the locations. The robot masters no longer felt like rejects from old games and they had interesting weapons with additional side effects to aid the player. The game was tough, but fair… for the most part and Mega Man fans wouldn’t have it any other way. It reignited a lot of interest in the Mega Man franchise for good reason.

Number 5

Metroid Prime Trilogy

(Nintendo/Retro Studios 2009)

If I were to just place Corruption, I don't think it would chart quite this high. It was a great game, and an improvement on Echoes, but it still falls short of the first game... but then so many others do and more will continue to do so. The control scheme works perfectly across all games and the artistic design hasn't aged a day as you explore the stone halls, swamps and wreckages to the atmospheric soundtrack. Improved graphics for the older games are also nice and a tweaking of the bosses in Echoes will be of great relief to some – personally I never had a single issue with the Spider Ball boss but for those that did, well here’s the answer. Corruption was a more linear and action focused, and the hypermode was badly balanced becoming a necessity for most fights, especially on hard mode. It also took a change of pace with its story. The previous games had you filling in all the details of past up until your arrival at the planet which effectively marked the end of the story whereas Corruption saw it develop as you play, though you could still delve into the backstory, which forced interaction with a cast in a way that the series hadn’t seen before. The attempt was commendable but the end result was something of a mixed bag though it was still handled with more sophistication than Other M (I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay but the story and its delivery were a bit ropey). But seeing the Aurora units for the first time was pretty special and stepping foot onto the platforms of Elysia’s Skytown knocks me for six every time - a feat still managed by walking on the Phendrana Shoreline. Corruption does to great lengths to undo the damage done by the late game backtracking of Echoes and, whilst it can still occur, most of it can be avoided this time around leading to a more enjoyable experience. For three games that fundamentally offer the same gameplay, it’s surprising how different they can feel and whilst you are bound to have a favourite of the bunch, even the one you like the least is going to demonstrate a level of technical and artistic competence most studios can only dream of.

Number 4

Xenoblade Chronicles

(Nintendo/Monolift Soft 2011)

The word "epic" gets thrown around a lot in gaming circles and yet rarely does it ever truly apply. It's been used so often it's become watered down and suggests a level of inexperience of games for the person using it. But Xenoblade Chronicles really is epic. And not the pathetically weak, publisher speak epic, but the genuine version of the word. The world is enormous, the art direction phenomenal, the music is sublime and the gameplay is fresh and with a variety of playable characters (and an incredibly large supporting cast) all with their own quirks and styles, there is as much depth as you are prepared to dig for. The mechanics are such that you are never punished for experimenting and the concept of failure is completely removed without ever undermining the challenge on offer. The repetitive/grindy nature of some of the side quests and an unnecessarily bizarre late game plot twist are the only things attempting, and failing, to detract from the experience.

Number 3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

(Nintendo/Sora et al 2008)

I loved the original game on the Nintendo 64 but I could never really get into Melee. I just wasn't a fan of the changes they made - the characters felt floatier and the stage designs were a bit hit and miss and the game seemed to play a lot faster. Brawl remedied some of that with a weightier cast, better levels and slower gameplay. Nintendo made a big deal out of the Subspace Emissary in the build-up but frankly, it wasn't very good as the jumping mechanics just aren't suitable for dedicated platforming but then who plays Smash for the story modes. It's the standard smash battles we all came for and there, it totally delivered... except for tripping which is a bit annoying but relative rare. Even the online component, thread bare as it was, did the job. I've heard a lot of complaints about online but less than 1% of my battles were so laggy as for it to be a problem. Even in a seemingly perfect game, it does play slightly slower online but it was a pace I was happier with and going back to offline felt strange. It's the game that brought me, and a few others, to the forums and easily sits at the top of my Nintendo Channel game times. All in all, a giant love letter to Nintendo fans.

Number 2

Super Mario Galaxy 2

(Nintendo/EAD Tokyo 2010)

The brilliant sequel to the brilliant original. All new levels with even more ideas that live up to the standard set by the first. The same polished visuals and a score that is only bettered by the first game. Being a direct sequel, it lacks the "wow factor" but that allows you to spot the flaws in the game all the more easily yet you'll still have a hard time finding any in this game. Yoshi also returns and unlike Sunshine's bad joke edition, he's actually useful and manageable this time - this is the only Mario game where I actively seek out his faithful dino companion. And to cap it off, the Cosmic Jewels end game is an incredible reward that legitimately doubles the length of the game and offers a further bonus upon completion.

Number 1

Super Mario Galaxy

(Nintendo/EAD Tokyo 2007)

In a word, brilliant. In two? f**king brilliant. It's really just one of them games I struggle to find the correct superlatives for because all fail to do it justice. No game character in the history of the medium has ever felt so natural to control. Just running around is fun... and that's before we even get to using the rest of his moves and interacting with the world around him. And what a world it is, or rather, what a Galaxy it is. After the rather limited level set of Sunshine, the sheer variety of levels and challenges on offer only serves to exasperate its predecessor’s problems. The levels were now mostly linear in nature but it allowed for more intricate platforming sections. Of course it helps that it looks the part with suitably stylised characters, great texture work and a silky smooth 60 frames per second. As for the music, well that is perhaps even better than the graphics. Orchestral music in a Mario game might sound ridiculous on paper but the execution is anything but. It's the best game I've played since the Super Mario 64 and I wonder how long it's going to take to top it. 15 years ago, moving Mario for the first time with an analog stick was the strangest and weirdest feeling I've ever encountered playing a game but with Super Mario Galaxy, it became the easiest and best feeling in gaming.

So there you have it - the top 10 Wii games subject to clarification of the Metroid Prime debate and WiiWare entries. And don't worry if your top ten differs to mine, it just means that you're wrong :p

NB. Places were correct at time of print and I reserve the right to change my voting at a later date such is the fickle nature of personal opinion.

Thanks for that @Captain Falcon, great read!

I think really we have to say that Wii Ware games count.

and after both games recieving multiple votes it's looking like we might just have to include both Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy???... I can't really see how we could come down on either side?