NEurope
Retro_Link

VOTE: N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! (THANKYOU!)

I'm even worse. I have this sitting on my shelf unplayed. Well I say unplayed, I played about half an hour and never went back to it. Maybe it should be added to my backlog battle. :D

Exactly the same as me. PLayed half an hour. Loved it. Never touched it. Im deserate to wipe some of my wii games before wii u and my girlfriedn is away this week so I may destroy a couple of games, this may be one of them. Problem is I've also started Arkham City and Walking Dead so need to do them as well...

Exactly the same as me. PLayed half an hour. Loved it. Never touched it. Im deserate to wipe some of my wii games before wii u and my girlfriedn is away this week so I may destroy a couple of games, this may be one of them. Problem is I've also started Arkham City and Walking Dead so need to do them as well...

You should do. Be part of the N-E backlog battle!

Holy crap I had no idea!! :o

The game is full of stunning environments like that.

Here are some of the equally impressive locales you get to venture through... though sadly, these are stills.

ingamebackgrounds.jpg

ingamebackgrounds2.jpg

I found the images a couple of years ago - I had to do a presentation on an game people wouldn't know about, so I chose this. I don't think it plays as well as it looks but then I'm not entirely sure anything plays as well as this looks.

The game is full of stunning environments like that.

Here are some of the equally impressive locales you get to venture through... though sadly, these are stills.

ingamebackgrounds.jpg

ingamebackgrounds2.jpg

I found the images a couple of years ago - I had to do a presentation on an game people wouldn't know about, so I chose this. I don't think it plays as well as it looks but then I'm not entirely sure anything plays as well as this looks.

Woah, what is this?? Retro's quote doesn't take me back to another post!

Also does this have a finish date? I really need to get my list in.

Edited by Rummy

Also does this have a finish date? I really need to get my list in.

I think the finish day is this Friday.

That is Muramasa: The Demon blade

That's the first chapter of the game when playing as the female character, Momohine - Oboro Muramasa is just the Japanese name for the game. It's really one of them games that has to be seen to be believed. The music is equally as good as you will... well, hear.

A couple of years ago, there were rumours it was going to get the the HD treatment and released on XBL/PSN but it never happened.

A couple of years ago, there were rumours it was going to get the the HD treatment and released on XBL/PSN but it never happened.

Yeah, it kinda just disappeared but it has reappeared as a port on the Vita, which was announced just the other day.

Yeah, it kinda just disappeared but it has reappeared as a port on the Vita, which was announced just the other day.

I know people moan at the Vita for being a port machine but if it helps the game reach a wider audience then I'm all for it. That it's already translated for the rest of the world also bodes well. Hopefully we can get a Wii U sequel/psuedo sequel with a bit more variety and depth.

Ah, so it IS still an exclusive.

Shame on those who have played it and never went back to it.

It's classic hack-'n-slash, but in a beautiful world full of cliché Japaneseness :D

That is Muramasa: The Demon blade

That's the first chapter of the game when playing as the female character, Momohine - Oboro Muramasa is just the Japanese name for the game. It's really one of them games that has to be seen to be believed. The music is equally as good as you will... well, hear.

Ah, I'd known the name and it was a game I was actually quite contemplating a while back, not had the monies at the time though. Your pics have sold it to me though...if I can find it! I remember the box looking pretty vivid itself. Shall keep my fingers crossed for it!

Ah, I'd known the name and it was a game I was actually quite contemplating a while back, not had the monies at the time though. Your pics have sold it to me though...if I can find it! I remember the box looking pretty vivid itself. Shall keep my fingers crossed for it!

It's £12.85 over at ShopTo but showing as on back order so who knows when they will get stock. Amazon have it for £19.33 and have 2 copies left.

That 10 minute video is pretty much what the entire game is like. Yes you encounter different enemies and bosses but the fundamanetal gameplay never really deviates. The presentation helps to pick up the slack though.

It's £12.85 over at ShopTo but showing as on back order so who knows when they will get stock. Amazon have it for £19.33 and have 2 copies left.

That 10 minute video is pretty much what the entire game is like. Yes you encounter different enemies and bosses but the fundamanetal gameplay never really deviates. The presentation helps to pick up the slack though.

Yeah I literally placed a ShopTo backorder when I saw the post/video. I'll just wait and see if it gets fulfilled, I am killing money atm and shouldn't really get it, but I'm thinking it'll just pop up one day as a nice surprise. How many hours gameplay has it got in it? Not good at dedicated time to stuff atm, maybe evidenced by my still lacking reply in this thread!

On the deadline, but here's my take on the top 10:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - bettered the first in every way.

2. Metroid Prime 3 - completed an awesome trilogy in the best possible fashion.

3. Wii Sports - sold the Wii to me. This was the first Nintendo home console I didn't buy straight after launch, but playing this at a function totally changed my viewpoint of the motion controls. Had so much fun playing this with my son.

4. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - they made one of my favourite games even better, and the bonus of Mercenaries and Ada's missions pushed it over the edge, amazing.

5. Tiger Woods (doesn't matter which edition) - the motion controls were so good , made my son and I lose weekend mornings together. Hopefully, we'll see an HD Tiger Woods on the WiiU.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 1 - perfect 3D platforming, only bettered by it's sequel.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - the motion controls were perfect, don't know why so many slagged them off.

8. Mario Kart Wii - another great multiplayer for me and my son, but with the addition of great online races with very little lag.

9. Kirby's Epic Yarn - beautiful imagery in a family friendly orienated game. Once again my son I would lose hours in this, I think my son preferred the newer more realistic Kirby game though (don't know it's name as I bought it in Japan, Kirby's Adventure?).

10. Close call between 2 light gun, on-rails shooters, but I'm going to have to go with:

10. House of the Dead: Overkill - B-movie parody with an awesome soundtrack, not for the squeamish or timid (excessive use of the 'F' word and doing that 'F' thing to your mother).

Guess I should get my top 10 in too! So hard to put it in an order, and left out Galaxy 2/Wii Sports Resort so there's a bit of variety, and unfortunately the likes of Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl missed out. This thread has really shown though how many games I have missed out on which I should get if I have the time/money!

10) Just Dance 2 - An odd choice, that isn't a traditional game in a sense, but if you get a few friends round, some drinks, and stick this on, it's one of the funniest experiences you can have on Wii. I'm no dancer, but there's something addictive to jumping around like a loony in front of the TV!

9) Guitar Hero 3 - The Guitar Hero franchise has faded away, but in its glory days I played so much of this game, although I could never get past medium difficulty. I did have the sequel, World Tour, which used the drum kit as well, but number 3 had the best overall tracklist.

8) Okami - A beautiful game, picked it up cheap a while after it's release, one of the best tenners I've spent. Very unique, humorous characters, haven't played anything else like it.

7) Wii Sports - This had to make my list somewhere just because of the impact it made. I haven't seen one person not enjoy playing Wii Sports. Like I said with Just Dance 2, it's the simple things, where you don't need to teach people how to play, that catch on and can be very fun and addictive.

6) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - I loved this game, unlike many others. It'd probably be higher on my list if there wasn't so many other great games on Wii. I didn't want it to end, so much so that about half way through I banned myself from playing it and came back to finish it later in the year! And Midna was probably one of my favourite characters from a Zelda game. Think I might go back and play it again soon.

5) Kirby's Epic Yarn - Another beautiful, unique game. I know it didn't start its life as a Kirby game, but it fit in his universe perfectly. Loved the narrator, not the most challenging of platformers, but in a way, that was a good thing, as I never got frustrated with the game, it was just pure FUN!

4) Metroid: Other M - Another game which I picked up for a tenner, and I loved it. I liked the Prime games (never bought 3) but I never finished them, always got to a point where it was too hard or I got lost/bored. This, I thought, was absolutely brilliant, and a perfect development from the traditional 3rd person games. The story and the cutscenes worked for me, and it was great fun to play. Ignore the haters, pick it up if you haven't already.

3) Super Mario Galaxy - Perfect platforming. There's a reason why Mario has been going all these years - his games are brilliant, and this is no exception. Up there with Super Mario 64 as the best platformer of all time. It's sequel is just as good. A real joy to play, with some of the best graphics on Wii.

2) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - It feels kind of strange that a port of a GameCube game is so high on my list, but the Wii controls were perfect for it. I'd never completed a Resident Evil game before this (and haven't since, actually), but for me, this was so easy to pick up and play, provided a decent amount of challenge, I was engrossed in the story, and it made me want to play it again straight away afterwards. Not to mention the additions of Separate Ways, Assignment Ada and The Mercenaries. Need to go back and play it again to unlock the Chicago Typewriter!

1) The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword - The game we all were waiting for. It disappointed some, but I loved every minute. This is the game that MotionPlus was made for, and like every other Zelda before it, got in the way of coursework etc. because I wanted to play it so much! Beautiful in style, the controls brought something new to the franchise and I hope we see them again, as it made every fight with an enemy require just a little bit more thought. Loved hearing a bit of the backstory of Hyrule as well. Up there with my favourite Zeldas, just beaten by Majora's Mask!

(Closes Saturday)? What's with the rush? There are loads of people with backlogs, hence the other thread. The Wii is still for sale and the Wii U doesn't go on sale for over another 2 months. I alone have alot of games to get through, e.g. Little Kings Story. I'm not going to finish that in a day, it sounds like my kind of game and would probably make the list but won't if it shuts today.

What time on Saturday does the thread close?

They're turning it into an article, so I really don't think they have time to wait for you to clear your backlog.

My top 10 would look something like this:

10: Zack & Wiki

9: Rayman Origins

8: World of Goo

7: TLoZ: Twilight Princess

6: Super Mario Galaxy 2

5. Metroid Prime Trology/Prime 3 Corruption

4: Xenoblade

3: Super Mario Galaxy

2:Okami

1: TLoF: Skyward Sword

I think I'm not too late yet, so here I go! :

1: The legend of Zelda: Skyward sword

For me this game is just the essence of what the wii can do, the ultimate experience. I know several people have doubts about the motion controls, but to me they felt very natural and added so much to the game. The visuals were gorgeous, I totally digged the watercolor style! The story was just so immersive and addicting with a lovely bunch of characters.

2: Super Mario Galaxy:

I had so so much fun with Mario. I completed the game 100% with Mario and Luigi without getting even bored for one second. The level designs were just so clever and refreshing and the visuals are amongst the best I've seen on Wii.

3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

This was my first Metroid prime game! I was blown away, the world was engrossing and the design and art direction were just so good! The wiimote added a lot of precision to the game, and made it much more accessible to me than first person shooters from previous generations with classic controls. But above all the rest, the story was amazing! I just totally related to Samus, you could feel her isolation, you could see her get slowly get corrupted by the phazon. It was brilliant.

4: The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess is not my favourite Zelda game at all. That being said Twilight Princess was an amazing title to own at launch, as little else was available at that time for the Wii. The story is very engrossing, the graphics are lovely (especially considering this is a gamecube title) and the little motion controls made the game very smooth to play. I loved the darker tone, and it was perfectly executed. Every place in Twilight Princess feels empty and sad, but it just adds to the story! Midna was such a cool sidekick, possibly the best of the series.

5: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

It's my most played wii game, and naturally deserves a place in this list! The controls aren't anything new at all, but the series just doesn't need that. The game had enough of new content, an amazing character roster and the story mode was a lot of fun. The wifi mode was ALOT appreciated although it was kind of laggy.

6: Okami

What a game! It was really something different to play! Okami was a good lengthy play, with a lovely, engrossing universe to explore and an interesting storyline to follow. I just craved to get to the ending of the game and discover all it's secrets. It's a surprising game, it never bored me, and it made me very hungry for more. The visuals were very original and just so so beautiful.

7: Super Mario Galaxy 2

The perfect Mario game for sure, yet to me it felt like more of the same. In no way that is something bad. The first Mario Galaxy was just such a shock, because it was so renewing. This game didn't give me that "shock". But of course it was a blast to play, the levels were perfect, the world and the visuals still as beautiful. And they added Yoshi, yay!

8: Zack and Wiki

I played every session of Zack and Wiki together with my younger brother. We had so much fun trying different gestures and methods to solve the puzzles! Every level was a funny, yet exiting challenge. It was lovely to play and the story was very entertaining. Zack, Wiki and his bunny pirates are just so adorable. The game was just such an original gem to me.

9: Super Paper Mario

A lot of people apparently don't like Super Paper Mario because it's precedors were better. Well I haven't played the gamecube or N64 version, and I loved the game to bits! I always thought the 2D/3D switching was very clever and levels were really cool! Even the bosses were loveable! For me the strength of this game are it's characters, they are all so funny and well thought out.

10: Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City (City folk)

I have mixed feelings about this one. I have to admit, Animal Crossing is one of my favourite game franchises and I'm quite addicted to it. I still play each week, and I'm very attached to my character and my villagers. I think for all people who like this type of game and haven't played the DS version, this game must be a treat! The visuals are quite nice (although nowhere as polished as Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword) and the gameplay is really the best on the wii. A lot of things that weren't possible on the DS became possible on the Wii. However I played Wild World for hours and hours, I played it every day for about 2 years. City folk (or "let's go to the city" as they called it in Europe, I really hate that title) just added some extensions, a little bit new content, but that's it. If you look at the game apart, it's a fantastic game and experience. I just couldn't enjoy it as much as the previous version because of the obvious franchise milking, yet I still love it enough to have a spot in this list.

I didn't get to play these titles, but I'm pretty sure that if I would have played them, they would have gotten a place in this list:

-Xenoblade (probably will get this at a later point)

-Donkey Kong Country

-Lostwinds

-Monter Hunter tri (will pick up the 3DS version)

-Rayman Origins

I've done my own spread sheet to see how the votes are totalling up and it's very interesting indeed. It's looking like it's going to be a very interesting and comprehensive top 25.

Well I've been thinking about this long and hard... but here goes.

10. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

080729_wario_land_the_shake.jpg

9. Punch-Out!!

header_punch_out.jpg

8. Mario Strikers: Charged Football

19super-mario-strikers-charged-luigi.png?w=388

7. Excite Truck

matt-blog-20061019045523437-000.jpg

6. Donkey Kong Country Returns

donkey-kong-country-returns-20101119092730688-000.jpg

5. Tatsunoko VS Capcom

950-tatsunoko-vs-capcom-ultimate-all-stars.jpg

4. Super Mario Galaxy

super_mario_galaxy_3_1024x768_0.jpg

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

876758-bigthumbnail.jpg

2. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

resident-evil-4-wii-01.jpg

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Super+Smash+Bros+Brawl+OST+supersmashbrosbrawl1.jpg

Close, but not close enough:

-No More Heroes

-Muramasa

-Super Mario Galaxy 2

-Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution

-Trauma Center

-No More Heroes 2

-A Boy & His Blob

-Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

-Monster Hunter Tri

-Dead Space: Extraction

-Zack & Wiki

-NSMB Wii

-DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3

-Twilight Princess

-Kirby Return to Dream Land

-Disaster: Day of Crisis

-PES: 2008

-Red Steel

-WarioWare Smooth Moves

Edited by -Dem0-

Well my computer crashed and I lost the list that I'd spent the last few hours writing and putting together with music and pictures, so I officially give up! :cry:

So here's a shorter version of my Top 25 Wii Games

10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Rare are Genious!

9. No More Heroes

Had me from the intro theme!

8. Zack & Wiki

One of the best uses of the Wiimote! A fantastic challenging puzzler full of charming characters and beautiful level design. Really hope we see a sequel to this on the Wii U!

7. Goldeneye 007

The best single player FPS campaign I've played. The motion controls made this game what it is, so instinctive and fun to play; tilting the nunchuck to lean round a corner... yes please! The opening levels of Dam and Facility interspurced with an incredible title sequence made for one of the best starts to any game ever!

6. Wii Sports

Ideally I'd combine Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort under the same entry; but this series made the Wii accessible to everyone and the likes of Wii Sports Golf and Flying over WuHu Island have provided some of my favourite moments on the Wii.

5. Super Mario Galaxy

I don't really need to say anything about this game, you all know how great it is. Sensational music, level design, visuals and animation and incredible controls that you don't even have to think about.

Favourite levels, probably FreezeFlame Galaxy: Conquering The Summit. Plus discovering the extra level of depth to the controls of Ice Skating Mario (being able to skate backwards etc..) just showcases that Nintendo magic! Also Toy Time Galaxy... Classic Mario Theme + Train = :D

4. Mario Kart Wii

My favourite Mario Kart game and the game I've had the most multiplayer fun with on the Wii. The motion controls just made it fun for everyone (and I loved the Wii Wheel!), it featured some of the best track designs across the series, there were plenty of unlockables to keep you playing, and the Mii's just added the opportunity for customisation and personailistion that hadn't been there before!

3. Okami

An Absolute masterpiece!

I'm so glad they brought this game over to the Wii so that I got to experience it and made all the more brilliant as a result of motion controls! The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever witnessed in a video game. The visual art style is incredible and the way you restore and bring the world to life as you progress is SO rewarding!

The dungeons were refreshing because they didn't feel like your traditional dungeons and the bosses were some of the best I've ever experienced. Characters were individual, cool and full of personality and the humour in this game really made it something else! Especially Issun's love of boobs! :p and when you see some of the characters in this game who can blame him!

It was a game that just kept on giving and giving the more you played. Just when you thought you were nearing the end of the game a whole new chapter opened up, and a better one at that! I think the final third of Okami ranks up there with some of the best time I've ever spent with video games! Overall I think I put about 75hrs into this game, and I enjoyed every single one of them! :)

2. Little Kings Story

The only game to have ever even made me contemplate writing to the developers to thank them, let alone actually go ahead and do it!! I think that about sums up the greatness of Little Kings Story!

I can't really express just how much I enjoyed this game! It was unlike anything I've ever played before and I expect (unless there is a true sequel) anything I will play again! Absolute genious from beginning to end! I loved the world they created in this game so much that I would dread the thought of loosing any of my villagers; if I did... more often than not I would start that boss fight again... if it seemed innevitable... I would rush to the beach the next day to see if they had washed ashore! :p

You felt like such a part of the people and the world because it was you who was creating it; you were growing up and progressing through the game with it!

The art style is incredible, the cutscenes beautiful, the rival kings some of the best and most memorable, clever and entertaining boss battle ever. Every character in this game is so full of personality. But for me I think it's probably the soundtrack that goes some way to set this game apart from all others. Just incredible!

An all time classic!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

little-kings-story-20081008102752136_640w.jpg

1. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

WOW! Am I glad I stayed spoiler free for this one!! :D

OK firstly just to get it out the way, this game isn't without fault. I have to say that even right until the end I was never 100% comfortable with the motion controls, at no point did they become completely natural, they were always a slight distraction for me; but really in terms of the overall experince I got from this game... that really didn't matter!

Not since Ocarina of Time has a Zelda game captivated me as much as this. That game is lucky because it was my first Zelda game and in fact a game of so many firsts in general. The fact that Skyward Sword even comes anywhere close, let alone makes me consider which is my favourite of the two, is testiment to just how great I thought this game was!

Characters have more personality than ever before, relationships feel heartfelt. For me, this game has the best artstyle and visuals on the Wii console; everything is just so colourful and vibrant. Less emphasis on temples and instead a more intergrated and connected overworld was just the kind of shakeup the series needed for me.

The story was told so fantastically through such beautiful cutscenes, it was almost like watching an animated movie at times; and whilst it's true the music as a whole isn't perhaps as memorable; for me the game delivered one of the greatest pieces in Zelda history:

One of my favourite games of all time! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Quick question. Can all the PES and Tiger Woods games be lumped into one? It makes more sense. There's too many of them and their votes will be diluted otherwise.

10. Xenoblade

9. Toki Tori

LostWinds stole the limelight as the premier WiiWare launch title but Toki Tori should not be pushed into the shadows. A great, colourful puzzle game with catchy music that tests the old grey matter to its limits. If you still have Wii Points to spend, do yourself a favour and check this one out.

8. Mario Kart

My most played Wii game. Say what you want but the Wii Wheel, the addition of bikes and of course the online, kept me coming back for more MK.

7. Skyward Sword

6. Animal Crossing

My second most played Wii game and I only played it for about six weeks, clocking up 122h! AC is such a basic concept yet it is completely addictive when you get into it. Add the online aspect with the community on here and there were many a good night of fishing and hide and seek had. Lets not forget it was Nintendo's first Wii foray into the big bad world of online chat with Wii Speak.

5. Pro Evo 2008

Notched up 117h on this one, all thanks to the sublime pointer and motion controls coupled with the online component. Pro Evo is one of the best examples of how the Wii can take a long running franchise and reinvent it for the better.

4. Twilight Princess

People criticise the waggle but when I replayed OoT after finishing TP and shook the Gamecube controller to chop down the grass in Kokiri Forest, I knew motion controls had got inside my psyche - and for the right reasons.

3. Super Mario Galaxy

2. Wii Sports

Simply mind blowing at the time. Parents and grandparents suddenly wanted to join in and game - an amazing achievement.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

PES and Tiger Woods can't count because it's voting for a series and not a game; That's like just putting The Legend of Zelda down. Do you have a favourite?