NEurope
Retro_Link

VOTE: N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! (THANKYOU!)

top25main.jpg

So the idea is to run this as a joint feature between N-E's Main Site and Forum.

• Over the next 3 weeks we thought we'd ask you guys to list Your Top 10 Wii Games!

• And by scoring all the games based on their position in Your list, they will be Culminated into N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! So we need you all to vote! :D

• Then over 5 weeks starting in October and in the run-up to the Wii U's potential November launch...
    N-Europe will run a weekly feature counting down Your Choices from #25-21... #20-16... #15-11... #10-6 and Finally #5-1.

• It would also be great if you could say why you have chosen the games that you have [this doesn't have to be for every game], as some of your comments can then help make up the Final Feature!

• Includes Wii Ware.

Visitors to the Main Site will also be directed to the forums in order to register their own choices, which should hopefully bring in some New Members too!

So N-E... we throw it open to you!! :grin:

Edited by Retro_Link

10. Super Mario Galaxy

It’s a brilliant game, yet it felt much more linear than Super Mario 64. The planetoids were fun to begin with but after a while I just wanted to get to the next “big” level. The hidden stars were great, especially when you found them by mistake.

9. Dead Space Extraction

I tried this, even though I don’t really like lightgun games. I was very surprised. Not only is the gameplay great, but it’s full of suspenseful and scary moments. The characters and story are also great, adding a lot to the overall experience. I even liked this more than the first Dead Space.

8. Kirby’s Epic Yarn

A fun, charming platformer. The graphical style was brilliant, and it was a joy to play from beginning to end.

7. Metroid: Other M

Until a strange twist at the end, and a few dubious parts for upgrading items (the Varia Suit upgrage) the story was great. For the most part, the gameplay was brilliant, too (apart from the first-person "search for an object...but we won't tell you what" bits). Ultimately, those small issues to little to lessen the overall greatness.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Yes, I mentioned this recently in the “underwhelming games” thread. I still stand by that - for a Zelda game, it is underwhelming. But Zelda games are so great that even an underwhelming one can be a brilliant game.

5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I really enjoyed the story mode in Brawl, especially the fun, silent cut-scenes. There were some great pairings and lots of fun levels. And that was on top of everything came with Smash Bros. Melee. Kid Icarus was a fun new character (and led to Kid Icarus Uprising) and it was great seeing Sonic in there.

4. Metroid Prime Trilogy

Three wonderful games. The Widescreen and controls added a lot to the first two.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This is a great example of the Wii Remote. The swordfighting was great, especially fights like General Stalfos Grievous. The flying was fun, there were a few great cinematic sections (like the stealth bit) and the dungeons were great. The desert is also one of my favourite Zelda areas ever.

2. Sonic Colours

Rip out the Warehog sections from Sonic Unleashed and you have a great game. So, if you take the Sonic-only levels from Unleashed and build a new game on just those, with no stupid distractions this time, and you have something truly special. This is how Sonic should be done.

1. Excite Truck

Pure fun. That’s all I have to say.

Edited by Cube

This is the most difficult of lists I've ever had to write... but here goes.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This game epitomised what the Wii was all about. Finally motion control was done correctly and also perfectly. Add to this one truly amazing Zelda game (up there with Ocarina and Wind Waker in my eyes) and you know you're on to a winner!

I simply don't want to control Link in any other way again!

2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I just love Zelda games. Each is a masterclass in gaming.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Everything the first game did and more... with Yoshi thrown in, this was an absolute masterpiece of gaming!

4. Super Mario Galaxy

This game breathed new life into the platforming genre... hell, it breathed a freshness into gaming that only the Wii seemed to be doing, only with much more gusto and aplomb than anything prior this generation. I cannot fault this game, everything is measured, beautiful and simply a joy! I've not smiled so much whilst playing a game in oh so long!

5. Metroid Prime Trilogy

So many people may say that this shouldn't make the cut given that it's all 3 Metroid Primes but I have to include this... the disks that house these 3 games may well be the finest gaming disks to have ever been produced in the whole of gaming's lifetime. It would have been number 1 but I scored it down for the prior 2 games being Gamecube games rejazzed for the Wii.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles

Wow! This game had me from the title screen... that music! Wow!

After sitting through that title screen and music three times, yes three, I started the game. What followed was one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I loved it so much that I gave it almost every second of my spare time. It was no longer my spare time... it was Reyn Time!

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I could not care any less for the campaign on this game. Online is where this game shone and playing with fellow N-E members in the N-E Clan made this game such a joy! Of course it helped by us being one of, if not the best Clan out there... even getting a mention on the official CoD forums as one of best Clans and most feared to play against.

We owned!

Special mention to the mainstays in the Clan: @Mokong X\-C @Hero\-of\-Time and helped along with @Mokong X\-C and @lostmario from here we didn't look back. Vast amounts of time were spent honing our skills and felling many beasts all for the allusive items we'd be looking for. What brilliant times they were!

I actually fell out of love with the game after a while, I guess there are only so many times you can take down each beast before it gets too routine... but then after a good number of months not having touched it, my urge to hunt grew again. It was then I learnt that all my skills and mastery were false. I found out I was a noob, as I then hunted alongside God... @marky

Never have I seen a beat-down on any of those monsters like he gave out! My word, I bow down to thee!

Special mentions go to @Ville @Captain Falcon @flamekid @RedShell for some amazing times on this game. Many many thanks!

Long live the N-E Brotherhood!

9. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro Studios, they're geniuses aren't they! That's right, no question mark at the end of that sentence, it's not a question, it's a statement! The genius that is Retro shone through in this game and boy I loved it! DK back to his best... those mine cart levels, oh my!

10. Metroid Other M

Some hated it, but I loved it. A true current generation NES game! This is the first and only game I played 3 times consecutively from start to finish straight one after the other. Something about it just clicked with me... and yes, I loved the portrayal of Samus too!

Mario Kart would have made this list if I had played in the N-E MK League but I played football on those nights so I missed out... but still, what a game!

If you're surprised that the almighty Smash Bros didn't make it in, it's because for me the game is simply unplayable online. 80% of the time I couldn't connect to anyone and any time I did it slowed to a crawl and dropped frames in unheard of amounts.

Also, I realise only now that I should have typed this list from 10 to 1, but screw it, I typed this out on my mobile so it's staying as it is! Haha

Edited by Kav

This is the most difficult of lists I've ever had to write... but here goes.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This game epitomised what the Wii was all about. Finally motion control was done correctly and also perfectly. Add to this one truly amazing Zelda game (up there with Ocarina and Wind Waker in my eyes) and you know you're on to a winner!

I simply don't want to control Link in any other way again!

2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I just love Zelda games. Each is a masterclass in gaming.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Everything the first game did and more... with Yoshi thrown in, this was an absolute masterpiece of gaming!

4. Super Mario Galaxy

This game breathed new life into the platforming genre... hell, it breathed a freshness into gaming that only the Wii seemed to be doing, only with much more gusto and aplomb than anything prior this generation. I cannot fault this game, everything is measured, beautiful and simply a joy! I've not smiled so much whilst playing a game in oh so long!

5. Metroid Prime Trilogy

So many people may say that this shouldn't make the cut given that it's all 3 Metroid Primes but I have to include this... the disks that house these 3 games may well be the finest gaming disks to have ever been produced in the whole of gaming's lifetime. It would have been number 1 but I scored it down for the prior 2 games being Gamecube games rejazzed for the Wii.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles

Wow! This game had me from the title screen... that music! Wow!

After sitting through that title screen and music three times, yes three, I started the game. What followed was one of my most memorable gaming experiences. I loved it so much that I gave it almost every second of my spare time. It was no longer my spare time... it was Reyn Time!

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I could not care any less for the campaign on this game. Online is where this game shone and playing with fellow N-E members in the N-E Clan made this game such a joy! Of course it helped by us being one of, if not the best Clan out there... even getting a mention on the official CoD forums as one of best Clans and most feared to play against.

We owned!

Special mention to the mainstays in the Clan: @Mokong X\-C @Hero\-of\-Time and helped along with @Mokong X\-C and @lostmario from here we didn't look back. Vast amounts of time were spent honing our skills and felling many beasts all for the allusive items we'd be looking for. What brilliant times they were!

I actually fell out of love with the game after a while, I guess there are only so many times you can take down each beast before it gets too routine... but then after a good number of months not having touched it, my urge to hunt grew again. It was then I learnt that all my skills and mastery were false. I found out I was a noob, as I then hunted alongside God... @marky

Never have I seen a beat-down on any of those monsters like he gave out! My word, I bow down to thee!

Special mentions go to @Ville @Captain Falcon @flamekid @RedShell for some amazing times on this game. Many many thanks!

Long live the N-E Brotherhood!

9. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro Studios, they're geniuses aren't they! That's right, no question mark at the end of that sentence, it's not a question, it's a statement! The genius that is Retro shone through in this game and boy I loved it! DK back to his best... those mine cart levels, oh my!

10. Metroid Other M

Some hated it, but I loved it. A true current generation NES game! This is the first and only game I played 3 times consecutively from start to finish straight one after the other. Something about it just clicked with me... and yes, I loved the portrayal of Samus too!

Mario Kart would have made this list if I had played in the N-E MK League but I played football on those nights so I missed out... but still, what a game!

If you're surprised that the almighty Smash Bros didn't make it in, it's because for me the game is simply unplayable online. 80% of the time I couldn't connect to anyone and any time I did it slowed to a crawl and dropped frames in unheard of amounts.

Also, I realise only now that I should have typed this list from 10 to 1, but screw it, I typed this out on my mobile so it's staying as it is! Haha

Tri should be at the top of your list for the fun times we had in that game. So badly do I want moar of that.

Also can we vote in here even if we haven't played 10 games for the wii? Shameful I know but alas, in my case it is true.

I believe it's too early for this list. So many games still on the back burner. Xenoblade is eating up my time right now. That is definitely on the list. As will be Monster Hunter Tri and Okami. I know it's a port but it was new to me this generation. I need more time. Little King Story, I've heard so many great things about it. Gathering dust, want to give it a go. Same goes for A Boy and his Blob and those are only a couple of the obscure titles. Metroid Prime Trilogy, I've played them all but need time to try out the new controls on 1+2.

One game that won't be making the list though is Skyward Sword. Only Zelda to have ever let me down. I was glad when it was over. It really pissed me off in so many ways though some aspects were good. I never say that about Zelda. That reminds me Twilight Princess will make the cut.

Again, this list is way too soon and if I remember correctly when the Gamecube list was done, well, what was the point? Ye never bothered to show the results!!! That really bugged the F out of me, I still think about it from time to time and weren't we asked to choose our top 20?

Man, I wanted to do a similar thread, like the Top 10 GC games thread from the retro boards a while back... But if it's a main site feature, it's probably for the best.

I'll post my list later.

I haven't the time to do one now, but I'll definately contribute a list of my own later on.

Just a few questions and suggestions though. Do we count re-releases (like RE4 Wii and Okami), retro compilations (Kirby 25th Anniversary, Data East Classics, Metal Slug Collection) and game collections (Metroid Prime Trilogy)? Feels a bit like cheating in order to count Metroid Prime Trilogy over Metroid Prime 3...

Also, does Wii Ware get its own list, seperate from retail games? Or are they put together (personally, I'd prefer to see them listed together - though if nothing makes the final top 25, maybe a seperate list might be a good idea for those of us that did include WW games)

if I remember correctly when the Gamecube list was done, well, what was the point? Ye never bothered to show the results!!! That really bugged the F out of me, I still think about it from time to time and weren't we asked to choose our top 20?

1 The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

2 Super Smash Bros. Melee

3 Resident Evil 4

4 Metroid Prime

5 Tales of Symphonia

6 F-Zero GX

7 Super Mario Sunshine

8 Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

9 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

10 Soul Calibur 2

11 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

12 Star Wars Rogue Leader

13 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

14 Skies of Arcadia Legends

15 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

16 Viewtiful Joe

17 Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

18 TimeSplitters 2

19 Resident Evil

20 Luigi's Mansion

21 Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

22 Pikmin

23 Animal Crossing

24 Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

25 Killer 7

26 Pikmin 2

27 Burnout 2: Point of Impact

28 Super Monkey Ball

29 Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

30 Beyond Good and Evil

31 TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

32 Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

33 Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

34 Ikaruga

35 Burnout

36 Star Fox Adventures

37 Super Monkey Ball 2

38 Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2

39 Warioware, Inc.:Mega Party Game$!

40 The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition

41 Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

42 Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

43 Wave Race: Blue Storm

44 Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

45 Prince of Persia The Two Thrones

46 Batallion Wars

47 XIII

48 Geist

49 1080 Avalanche

50 The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

10. Wii Sports

The game that started it all, what a great game that everybody in the family could play. 6 years on and I still think the boxing is one of the best uses of the Wiimote & nunchuck.

9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Such a shame the online mode is flawed as the single player mode was brilliant.

8. Metroid Prime 3

From start to finish I was hooked on this game, what a way to finish the Prime trilogy.

7. Donkey Kong Country Returns

The best 2D platformer on the Wii, no doubt. A really really fun yet challenging game.

6. Call of Duty Black Ops

While the single player mode was enjoyable, it was nothing compared to playing it online as part of the N-E clan.

This game wouldn't have made the list if it wasnt for the N-E clan.

5. Monster Hunter Tri

I had been looking forward to this game for ages, hoping it played similar to Phantasy Star Online. This game was definitely worth the wait.

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2

A fantastic sequel to one of my favourite games EVER.

3. Mario Kart Wii

I love Mario Kart, one of my favourite gaming franchises but this had something none of the others had, it was online!

This game had it all, great courses, new items, bikes for the first time in a Mario KART game and the N-E Mario Kart League which is still going strong today.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

A fantastic game, up there with Ocarina of Time.

I really enjoyed the storyline, it had great dungeons, Skyloft was a great main hub for the game and the flying was enjoyable.

The motion controls thanks to the Wii MotionPlus remote were perfect.

1. Super Mario Galaxy

This game is a masterpiece.

The music, level design, controls and graphics are all amazing.

Edited by lostmario

Also can we vote in here even if we haven't played 10 games for the wii? Shameful I know but alas, in my case it is true.
Yep, just list as many as you've played!

10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - This game made my former girlfriend put the Wii in the living room and invite GIRLFRIENDS over to come and GAME(!!!)

09. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - Graphics, gameplay, humour, my favorite character from the Marioverse

08. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Pure fanservice and the Subspace Emissary

07. Super Paper Mario - First hour I was "meh", but then it captured me totally

06. Punch-Out!! - This is how you should produce a remake, it totally gave me that 8-bit-era feeling back! (in a very good way)

05. Epic Mickey - Of course it has its flaws, but it's a Disney game based on their GOOD years :) I loved to see all those "forgotten" characters put together in one story.

04. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - WOW, what a style, what a story. ART!

03. Mario Galaxy - 3D Mario reinvented, made me wanna go home early from work to do more levels.

02. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - I liked the mechanics, I liked the story, I liked the art, I liked the world and I fell in love all over again.

01. Little King's Story - BEST.GAME.EVER.

I also agree that it might be a bit too early for this. Just because the Wii is coming to an end doesn't mean that people have played all the hidden gems and whatnot.

Nevertheless, I shall have a crack at this top 10:

10. Xenoblade

Probably only halfway or not. . . .I have no clue!?!?!?

To squeeze this much out of the Wii is incredible. I can't wait to see what Monolith Soft is up to for the WiiU, because if it's going to be anything like the scope of Xenoblade than ... :confused::blank::)

9. Super Paper Mario

This game is a masterpiece and could've been the best in the series if it wasn't for the battle system. Different dimensions ensured lots of artstyles, Bowser, Peach, Luigi and Mario coming together, and the story was as intriguing as it was witty. Yet all most people remember is the lack of a turn-based fighting system on a stage (which was so brilliantly implemented in Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door). Whilst I do agree that switching from 2D to 3D to solve most puzzles and simply jumping on huge bosses in 2D was a step back from the previous battle systems, the game has a charm which cannot be denied.

8. Rayman: Origins

Even though I would've preferred to see Rayman return in a glorious 3D adventure, the sidescrolling genre does fit him, and it's how he started out after all.

Zany.

That word sprang to mind when I thought about describing this game. Exactly the kind of thing you would expect from the Rayman universe and Ubisoft. Crazy-ass experimental music, as well as freakishly funny enemies and bosses. Rayman's Universe is definitely way past a plumber jumping on turtles and eating mushroom. WAAAY past! Seriously, you don't know what it is when you play it, but afterwards you know that it's crazy as fuck! Kind of like the French themselves :3

7. Donkey Kong Country Returns

I played through the entire campaign with my girl and we simply had a great time playing it. The waggle seems a bit strange at first, but, like a true gamer-person, one has to adapt to whatever a game offer you. The music was, to be quite frank, nothing in comparison to the original tracks, but it manage to create a fitting atmosphere, which is what matter in the end. Some boss battles were also a bit of a downer, but it's truly the level design that counts in a sidescroller like DKC and that was pretty damn fine! Co-Op was a nice addition which makes for some laughter and some crying on the couch, but the most important thing is that you're in it TOGETHER!

6. Muramasa: The Demon Blade

:o :o :o

TEH VISUALS!!!!!!:bouncy::o:bouncy:

I nearly shat myself a new one when I saw this game in motion, sweet mama-mia does that game look good! Again, because I study Japanese, this game was finger licking good, helped greatly by the Japanese voices :D Muramasa also has one hell of a soundtrack mixing traditional instruments from Japan with all sorts of different funky beats. This game is also one of those games which makes you feel badass when you defeat that boss, or kill those 100 enemies. I mean, you can collect over a 100 swords, each with its own slick powers, ready to cut, slice and fill your screen with awesome effects! However, I must confess that I've only completed one path with the ninja known as Kisuke and I have yet to take the path of the princess Momohime. Come to think of it, the fact that I have another campaign waiting for me doesn't make me feel sad in the slightest:love:

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

It's hard to make a choice between 1 and 2. Whereas Galaxy 1 leans more on the element of 'holy fuck it's a brilliant NEW 3D mario game', Galaxy 2 leans more on the sheer variety of ideas they've put in it. Miyamoto said that they had more ideas left after Galaxy 1, but damn! They filled SMG2 up gooooood! I love how pure the gameplay is: running and jumping, ...and occasionally turning youself into a boulder or a bee. Yoshi was also a nice new touch and those stages in which you had to ride him made for some swift and tense gameplay. Lastly, I'd like to thank the guys who put star 242 in:kiss:

4. Okami

I know that it's originally a PS2 game, but my first experience with it is on the Wii and I really can't imagine making those brushstrokes with something other than the Wii-Mote.

Now, I could go on and on about how this game blends ancient 'myths' and art from Japan with a great new story, but I'll try and keep it short.

I'd just like to say that in Okami, everything is right except maybe the fighting system, because that gets a bit stale once you start to make progress. Other than that, a brilliant new take on ancient Japanese folklore with an artstyle that is more than fitting for the franchise. I dare even say that it's a stroke of genious!

As a student of Japanese and its culture, I, obviously, wanted more . . . and I got that with Okamiden on the DS :D

3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Oh boy! Oh Lord! Such epicness! Such awesomeness!!!

NINTENDO's (arguably) greatest + Sonic & Solid Snake in cutscenes together! Hardly speaking! Well, not speaking at all, really!

Smash Bros. is just such a great franchise for the fans. You can just feel all the love oozing out of it, yet still you want more, which is only a testiment to NINTENDO and co.'s vast gaming history. It's a game that keeps on giving and I've yet to get all the trophies to this day. It's also a game that you just whip out from time to time, realising once again how great it is!

2. Little King's Story

I absolutely adore this game! First of all, I admire the fact that the composers have remixed the classical pieces so well. It even had me go looking for the original works, so the game taught me something about classical music from the likes of Dvorak and George Gershwin. Secondly, I love it that the developers chose for the 'kiddy' artstyle. To me, that was the ultimate slap in the face of so-called 'hardcore' gamers who only care for grey shooters and such, and who do not acknowledge the Wii's proper place in the gaming industry. This was a slap in the face, because this game was quite difficult to complete, and thus it felt like the developers were taunting these greylovers and were perhaps thinking: 'We're going to make one hard ass game, but we shall use a kiddy artstyle which will make realism-bloodorgy fans not come near it, missing out on one hell of an adventure.' But enough about those who won't ever play it. The game had its flaws, but nothing that you couldn't adapt to. All the different themes in every kingdom were simply superb and the ending was a nice little mindfuck. This game is a pure joy from beginning to end and should be owned and played by every Wii owner.

1. Wii Sports

Now, this game takes the number 1 spot for a specific reason. It's not so much that it's my personal favourite game on the Wii nor do I play it from time to time. This game is just a testiment to the inventiveness of NINTENDO. To come back like this after the GameCube days is just amazing. They truly struck gold with a golden concept. It was as if Gunpei Yokoi himself was living on through the Wii-Mote itself. It changed the gaming industry itself and the concept was new and simple, which meant more smiles on more faces. Of course this did have an ugly side effect: 'The Wii is for playing Wii Sports' and later Just Dance. Sure, it brought gaming to the masses, but I think that later on in the Wii's life the so-called 'bridge titles' only managed to get a few people actually walking across the bridge, whereas others simply stuck with their Tennis/Dance machine.

Wii Sports and the Wii have undoubtedly left a mark on the industry and it couldn't have come from any other pure gaming company than NINTENDO. Mainly because it's the only pure gaming company on the planet :laughing:(which also makes handhelds, peripherals and consoles that is)

Notable mentions:

MARIO KART WII

Warioland: The Shake Dimension

Super Mario Strikers Charged

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise

The Conduit

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

No More Heroes

Zack&Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Edited by Fused King

It depresses me to realise I haven't played enough of the 'good' games to be able to give them a chance in a list of my top wii games :(

I'll try and put something together soon, though.

(this is a brilliant idea btw)

Edited by Rummy

Might be worth expanding this into everyones Top 15 or 20?... what does everyone think?

We've got a few weeks to put this together so!

I also agree that it might be a bit too early for this. Just because the Wii is coming to an end doesn't mean that people have played all the hidden gems and whatnot.
Maybe... but it seems an appropriate time what with the Wii coming to it's end (which happened a long time ago really bar a coupld of games) and leading in nicely to the launch of the Wii U.

Doesn't mean there can't be another feature in a few years time to see how opinions have changed, and what people then regard as the true classics.

Also there's not much activity around at the moment.

It may also help people choose some Wii games they'd like to give a go on the Wii U.

Might be worth expanding this into everyones Top 15 or 20?... what does everyone think?

Nah, I'd say keep it a top 10. It really forces one to properly consider the games they've played for Wii and which ones deserve a spot in the top 10.

10. Red Steel 2

9. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

8. Mario Kart Wii

7. New Super Mario Brothers Wii

6. Super Mario Galaxy

5. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

2. Donkey Kong Country Returns

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Skyward Sword just misses out as I felt the overworld was abit of a mess and to much forced motion control, it really wasnt needed for flying or swimming. Also the dungeons were hit and miss.

Nah, I'd say keep it a top 10. It really forces one to properly consider the games they've played for Wii and which ones deserve a spot in the top 10.

Yeah I second this. You'll end up with votes for more than 25 different games anyway; so if you want to have a top 25 list in the main site, you'll be able to easily.

I still recommend banning re-releases and compilations though (Metroid Prime Trilogy over Metroid Prime 3 is just plain cheating!)

Edited by Dcubed

It's late over here, i'll finish this later.

10:Wii Sports

Back in 2006 this was revolutionary, 'waggle' is now used as an insult but this game brought many joyous play sessions with my family and friends. None of the other launch games I bought were able to grab me like Wii Sports did (Probably because I bought Red Steel and Tony Hawk Downhill Jam).

9:Goldeneye

The Campaign is very reminiscent of the original Goldeneye while being completely different.

8:Mario Kart Wii

7:Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock

6: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

5: Mario Galaxy

4: Super Smash Bros Brawl

3:Xenoblade Chronicles

I'm not even half way through yet but this has been one of my most enjoyable solo experiences on the Wii. This has the potential of being my favourite Wii game, I just have to play through it first. It is the first JRPG I have ever played (I doubt Paper Mario is counted as a JRPG) and it has already gotten me hooked on the genre. The sheer scale of the landscape added with the fast travel system makes exploring enjoyable and combined with the combat and the quests reminds me faintly of my WoW days.

2: Skyward Sword

Hands down my favourite 3D Zelda and redeems the series in my eyes after the lackluster Twilight Princess. The Stamina bar and the upgrade system are welcome additions to the Zelda formula while the Motion plus controls were perfect in my opinion, I hope the series doesn't drop them but I know it will. I feel that if this game launched with the Wii Motion Plus along with Wii Sports Resort we may not be seeing this drought of Wii games, perhaps more developers would have seen the advantages it brings to the table. If it wasn't for the absolute fun I had with the next game it would top my list.

1: Rugby League 3

No i'm not crazy, i've spent over 100 hours playing this game with my brother, going through the 10 year franchise mode multiple times and updating the rosters every year. Sure it's an unpolished sports game with probably 1/8 of the budget of Madden or FIFA but it's an enjoyable game for any Rugby League fan, though make sure you play with gamecube controllers, the Wiimote control scheme is awful.

Could have easily named many, many more games than 10 but I'll stick to the brief we've been given:

10. Monster Hunter Tri - Proper online communities come to the Wii, albeit in a slightly dated way. Played great, looked great and had more than enough content to keep you coming back for months and months.

9. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - Showing what the Wii-mote was truly capable of even before Nintendo could show it, and without MotionPlus no less, this was a superb and taxing puzzle game that deserved far more than it got.

8. Rayman Origins - The best 2D platformer on the Wii (oh, controversial!!!). Beautiful to look at, with level design and gameplay flowing effortlessly together. Not often that Ubisoft gets one up on Nintendo at their own game.

7. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - Qualms over obscure characters can be put aside as this is arguably the best technical fighter on the Wii.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - A leftover from the Gamecube? Perhaps, but still a fantastical adventure from start to finish.

5. World of Goo - Showed perfectly that just because it's a downloadable title doesn't mean it can't hang with the big boys. Puts many a retail title to shame.

4. Super Mario Galaxy

3. Okami - Showing up Nintendo at their own game, Okami really was/is a beautiful adventure title, and not just in the looks department.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - Best RPG on the Wii and perhaps this generation. A love letter to the JRPGs of last generation while bringing Western RPG elements into the mix, it's gargantuan both in scale and quality. The prime example of how to make a great game in the genre without HD visual flare and comparatively limited processing power.

Notable Mentions: Little Kings Story, Lost in Shadow, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Metroid Prime 3, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Excite Truck, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Dead Space Extraction

1. Super Smash Bros Brawl

2. Super Mario Galaxy

3. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

4. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

5. Goldeneye

6. Metroid Prime Corruption

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2

8. Donkey Kong Country Returns

9. Zack and Wiki

10.Muramasa the Demon Blade

10. House of the Dead: Overkill - A shoot'em up, an incredibly fun and accessible genre, that is unfortunately lacking in most consoles. Not the Wii, though, and House of the Dead provides exactly the sort of fun a shoot'em up should. Plus, the game is presented as a parody of B Horror films, and this self-aware nature works quite well, the game's hilarious.

Great fun with a friend, too, as long as nobody minds the incessant "fuck"s you'll be hearing.

9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - THE multiplayer game. While I mentioned in another thread that this game is underwhelming in certain aspects, there's plenty it did right, too, like the presentation, music, Subspace Emissary, unlockables, sheer content... Plus, it's still really good in multiplayer, even with the aspects I disliked.

8. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - So, some time has passed, and I can now evaluate this game more clearly. While it isn't the sort of greatness Zelda has treated us in the past, it should still be judged by its own merits. This is the game that gave us an entirely new control scheme (and it works) and still manages to hold good substance underneath, even if certain aspects are left strangely unpolished.

7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - I'm a Fire Emblem fan, and I'll outright say this is the second best game in the series. Gameplay was refined to near-perfection, the soundtrack is orgasmic, the plot is actually quite good (though I've seen naysayers) and it's hard, really challenging.

Main flaws: lack of supports diminishes its replay value and some characterization, and you kinda need to play Path of Radiance (a rare and expensive game nowadays) to understand and appreciate the plot.

Note: Considering my avatar and signature, this is quite low on the list. Go figure.

6. Excite Truck - This game can't be quite put into words. The sheer fun, the thrill you feel when driving one of these cars and doing all these jumps and stunts at high speeds through beautiful scenery (dat water), all with the Wii Remote. Quite challenging, as well. Too bad the multiplayer is somewhat lackluster (2-player only? And no CPUs?)

5. Super Mario Galaxy - While I haven't played the 2nd one, this game is fantastic. The planet/gravity platforming is gorgeous, the music is majestic, everything is so fluid and well designed... This is magic, it's what it is.

It isn't designed like Super Mario 64, it's more linear, but that's cool, because it works quite well like this. We don't get a big world to explore, but each mission gives you a third of the map, so it essentially follows the philosophy of the 2D Marios.

4. De Blob 2 (& 1) - I am disappoint, N-E. Why am I the first soul to mention this series? This is Pixar in game form! Charming, funny and is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Both games are quite similar, and yet different in certain important aspects. The first one gives you more freedom to act and paint as you please, the second one has more platforming variety (including shades of Super Mario Galaxy). The first one gives you fun shaking and blimp-painting, the second one has an awesome final level.

Both are worth it, though, even if the sequel just barely wins.

Note:I decided I only wanted to have one of them on the list, due to the similarities. I didn't want to exclude HotD. So, count this as a vote for De Blob 2, if you must

3. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - Resident Evil 4 is awesome, right? We all know this. Brilliant action game, inspired a whole gaming generation. And the Mercenaries mode is icing on the cake.

The Wii made it better in so many ways. Aiming your gun properly, hearing the shots from your Wiimote, shaking it in tense situations (as opposed to mashing a button. Much more engaging)... All of these managed to improve the experience by so much, this game set the bar for Wii shooters.

A bar that barely anybody paid attention to, but still, I wouldn't be surprised if Zombi U took notes from this.

2. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars - I just love this game, love it. This is the sort of gameplay that made me fall in love with Melee and, like it, it's my most played game on the console it's on. The gameplay elements are quite deep, but mashing buttons can also be fun :heh:

Obscure characters be damned, they're all very unique (not a single clone. Impressive) and fun to play as, it's all quite varied. Plus, they might get you interested in some Tatsunoko works (I found Casshern Sins thanks to this)

1. Little King's Story - Now this is a gem of a game. The love oozes from this. The Pikmin-style gameplay? Engaging. The sheer volume of things to see, do and explore? Engrossing. Using classic music as the soundtrack? Gorgeous. The charm, humour and general theme of the game? Sublime.

Its main flaw is having a slow start. And once you thought you've passed the high point of the game, you get impressed again. It's amazing how much greatness they keep throwing at you.

It's a fantastic game, as long as you have the patience to experience it fully.

Notable mentions: Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Another Code

Notable games I haven't played yet: DKC Returns, Epic Yarn, Sonic Colours, Wario Land, Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime 3, Other M, Last Story, Okami... Among others!

Edited by Jonnas

Where's @RedShell to vote for Rhythm Paradise when you need him?

He is obviously in his laboratory cooking up the greatest post ever expressed for his love the Wii and the games he has played on the system. I am imagining the post to be so detailed that it could be up there with the greatest authors in history in terms of how deep and emotional it is

The moment he posts I swear men will cry, woman shall be weak to the knees with his passion, websites will be blown away and be wanting to cover how incredible his post was.

Fuck the WiiU launch, I am more hyped for RedShells post on his favorite games :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I'm frankly a little disappointed at the lack of any No More Heroes love.

I can't come up with a real top ten placing anything is too hard, though I can say NMH is the only Wii game I've beaten twice.

Notables.

Xenoblade: Stunning, a huge game with a well crafted story.

Super Mario Galaxy....I just love the gravity and sending Mario into orbit around objects.

Zelda; Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword: I honestly loved both of them, neither is perfect but that doesn't make either bad.

Metroid Prime 3: I never got into it, but I can see it's merits.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: An absolute blast to play with friends. Some of the best co-op fun I've had since the hullabaloo with going to online...

No More Heroes/No More Heroes Desperate Struggle: Just plain fantastic games. Some of the simplest yet best implementation of the Wii-motes features (yes I liked the phone calls coming from the speaker!) The motion controls were simple and worked as well. The combat was easy to jump into but hard to master and aside from Shinobu a decent difficulty curve. And of course, Suda51 at the helm. If he puts his name on it I'll buy it.