NEurope
Cube

Windows 8

Really, I wanted an excuse to post this ridiculous thing:

Sony-Vaio-Tap-20-5.jpg

Yes, that's a tablet.

Yes, it has an internal battery and is portable.

Yes, it's 20 inches.

Anyway, do you think Microsoft is right merging tablet and desktop operating systems?

I tried the beta myself and I'd stick to Windows 7 for now, unless the way it works is considerably different.

The big problem is that the Tablet and Desktop sections are pretty separate, however you need to use the tablet interface on a desktop with the desktop interface. It's like using two completely different operating systems at the same time and is highly confusing.

I think i will get it eventually. I have to stick with my current laptop for a while as it has all my phd stuff on it and a migrate would be a nightmare, but once i've finished with all that, i'm thinking i might like to get some sort of windows 8 laptop which has a detachable tablet screen (rather than a tablet which has a keyboard attachment). Hopefully by then they'll have ironed out the kinks in Windows 8.

I don't really see the Metro bit on the top as a problem, you can get rid of it when you're on the desktop version right? So if you had some work to do, you could use the desktop bit underneath, and then afterwards bring up the Metro interface for some light browsing on the sofa etc.

I quite like the idea actually. Save me buying a new laptop and a separate tablet that i can't really justify buying...

I don't really see the Metro bit on the top as a problem, you can get rid of it when you're on the desktop version right?

You'll need to either install a 3rd party start menu* or make shortcuts to absolutely everything on the desktop to avoid using the metro interface.

*And even with the 3rd party ones, the start menu will still switch between desktop and metro.

I don't mind using the Metro as a start menu, as long as i can use Matlab or Word or something underneath ok that's fine.

I'll stick to 7 for now, 8 doesn't appeal to me at the moment in time.

I tried the developer and consumer previews of Windows 8 and couldn't stand it. It may be good on a tablet, but it doesn't translate to the desktop at all. Removing the start menu is a big mistake, replacing it with a full screen application which is style over substance, and clearly designed for fingers not mouse pointers, is a huge error. Ugly borderless menu systems, settings menus etc are also not suited to a mouse based system. It just feels like Windows dumbed down, and they should not have tried to merge the mobile and desktop platforms, at all.

When Facebook make design changes people get annoyed, but get over it.

With Microsoft making HUGE design changes to a UI that hasn't changed all that much since it was launched with Windows 95. People are not going to be able to use it because they're so used to what Windows is usually like. Businesses won't want to upgrade and non-computer literate people will have no idea how to use it on a desktop/laptop.

I'm in a fast moving tech industry, I embrace change. I have liked almost every update Facebook has made. That doesn't mean there aren't bad changes. Win 8 is not a positive direction as a desktop UI.

One thing I don't understand about the Metro* interface: It looks great on the Xbox, yet horrible on Windows Phone and Windows 8.

*I'm aware that Microsoft have asked people not to use it. Everyone will still call it metro.

Another thing with Metro: is it not ironic that the Metro side of the OS throws away the entire "windows" feature?

Windows 8 is a usability nightmare. They could have completely integrated the Metro stuff on the regular Desktop, maybe even similarily to widgets - well basically anything which wouldn't force you to switch desktops would have been a big improvement.

Also to make the gestures with the mouse is complete counter-intuitve. I don't mind radical changes but only if they are for the better, but making things more confusing than they were before isn't the way to go.

Still for tablets I find it's pretty interesting because it's actually a PC OS, so I can see myself using it there despite its problems but for my desktop PC it's a no-go.

Also Samsung pre-installs a start menu replacement on all of their Windows 8 products. That says something...

I am curious about it and seeing as it's only going to be £25 to upgrade may jump in. Although, where can I get the consumer preview (or whatever) from?

I don't know much about it, just that the general consensus seems to be that it's not very good and might be best to skip (like Vista). Win 7 is so solid, it's like the XP of its time.

Take away the Metro UI and it's a good OS, uses less resources than Windows 7. I'm still a bit unsure about the Metro UI myself but I agree that it's a tablet UI forced onto a PC. They should have added an option to boot straight to the desktop though instead of requiring an extra key press.

Lack of Start Menu isn't a problem to me since I just opened and used the search, now I just need to start typing (not sure if that works in Desktop mode, actually).

The built in Mail app is terrible. :(

I do like the redesigned outlook.com and SkyDrive websites, they look better than the Windows 8 apps :P

Lack of Start Menu isn't a problem to me since I just opened and used the search, now I just need to start typing (not sure if that works in Desktop mode, actually).

You need to press start to go into Metro then start typing.

Gotta love the MSN messenger app they describe. Who was in charge of that?

A chat like that is even pretty bad on a tablet. I'm glad there's Android app which has pop-up windowed chat.

Like Sheikah said, this does seem to be the O/S to miss like Vista was. I'll stick to 7 for the time being.

But from what i've heard, the desktop is a dying breed.

I've been pretty much trying to ignore Win8 cause everytime I see a screen of it like the one in the first post I just *facepalm* at its impracticality as a desktop UI. :nono:

But since Shorty posted the link I am d/l'ing the preview ISO now and will try it in VMware later or tomorrow

Cube's got it right, it suits the 360. Windows Phone and 8, it does not suit. Thats from what i've seen anyway.

Ok just got Window 8 Preview running on my VMware player.

Gotta say I was happy to see a Desktop App *sigh...app....really?

Tried using IE from that horried App Menu/Interface thing and it just made me mad....switched to desktop and it was better...least I then had access to File and options and stuff.

Then looking at the desktop I realise.....WTF...where is the Start/Windows button?

Ok so the windows button on the keyboard brings me back to that App Menu, grand.

I then checked Task Manager, got a heart attack when it initially showed ZERO info other than telling me IE was running... then I spotted the "details" button, clicked that and was actually pretty impressed. Changes to Task Manager are pretty decent so one positive found at least. :)

But then I wanted to look around the control panel.....can someone tell me where the hell the control panel is? (I assume they wouldn't be so stupid as to remove it completely?)

Also how do I turn the thing off? Where are the Shut Down, Hibernate, etc options? :heh:

I can kind of understand MS's desire to try to make a OS that will work across different products that would use it but why are they basing it around phones & tablets?

Why does a desktop/laptop need to look like a tablet...surely they could have just done a proper Windows 8 for PC's and then a slightly altered Windows 8 for tablet devices with their silly big app buttons :heh:

EDIT:

Oh also is there a version of MSE that works on 8?

Edited by Mokong

Task Manager: It is a good improvement.

Control Panel: There's a options menu in the Metro interface. For administration tools and stuff I think you right click in the bottom left corner on the desktop. I think there's also an option to show these in the search.

MSE: There is currently no need for an anti-virus. We'll have to see how that goes.

Firefox: Not sure as I use Chrome and that worked fine.

Hover your mouse over the bottom right corner to bring up a settings menu, you can access the control panel and shutdown options from there. Firefox runs fine, it just doesn't have a Metro style interface yet. MSE will probably work as well if you install it.

Ok just turned it off using the power off function of teh VMware Player :heh:

Restarted and for anyone else when signing in does it seem to take FOREVER, much long than Vista or 7 it seemed :heh:

Task Manager: It is a good improvement.

Control Panel: There's a options menu in the Metro interface. For administration tools and stuff I think you right click in the bottom left corner on the desktop. I think there's also an option to show these in the search.

MSE: There is currently no need for an anti-virus. We'll have to see how that goes.

Firefox: Not sure as I use Chrome and that worked fine.

Cheers Cube, I found the Control Panel and I only just found the search function too. Why are these thing "hidden" like they are :mad:

I found the Search function first and thought maybe there is no Control Panel, and you just had to search for everything. Then I found the option hidden in the botton left corner as you said...thought then this was only available from Metro but tried it from desktop and it worked there too, phew.

Seriously would it have been that much trouble for them to put a start button there, as it is it's like a hidden easter egg or something :heh:

When is 8 expected to be released properly?

Kinda thinkin I'll be wanting a new laptop ... thinking of starting to save up the cash after I get a WiiU... but by then Win8 will prolly be in all new laptops :heh:

Probably will want to buy a 7 installation disc just before 8 goes out worldwide :heh:

Hover your mouse over the bottom right corner to bring up a settings menu, you can access the control panel and shutdown options from there. Firefox runs fine, it just doesn't have a Metro style interface yet. MSE will probably work as well if you install it.

Yeah I just installed Firefox on it and it was fine....when you go to d/l MSE you have to pick which version you need...at the moment there is no option for Windows 8 version

If what Cube said is true

What do they think they've made the OS 100% virus proof or something *facepalm*

Yeah I just installed Firefox on it and it was fine....when you go to d/l MSE you have to pick which version you need...at the moment there is no option for Windows 8 version

Just checked and Windows 8 has Windows Defender built in. Why they keep changing the name I don't know, but it's the same thing.

They have improved security quite a bit, they did a long blog post about it but I can't find it now. I'm sure it won't stop them though :P

Defender was in both Vista and 7 too in those it was just an anti spyware, not a full AV, installing MSE on Vista or 7 disabled Defender as MSE did it's job and was a full AV.

Unless they drastically changed what Defender is in 8, I turned it off already too lazy to go start it up again and check :heh: