NEurope
Charlie

Missing woman joins search for herself: Tell us your stupid moments

A woman who was reported missing from an Icelandic tour unwittingly joined a search for herself.

According to the Reykjavik Grapevine, a woman described as "Asian, about 160cm, in dark clothing and speaks English well" was listed as missing Saturday near the Eldgjá volcanic canyon in southern Iceland.

A search continued through the weekend with reports saying she got off a tour bus and never returned.

It turns out the woman merely changed clothes during the bus stop, and after she returned, those on the bus didn't recognize her.

When the description of the "missing" woman was circulated, apparently the lady who changed her outfit didn't recognize the description of herself. So she joined the search party.

About 50 people searched the area in vehicles and on foot, and a helicopter was ready to assist.

Eventually it occurred to the "missing" woman that she could very well be the person everyone was looking for, and she promptly reported herself as safe and sound to police.

The search was called off early Sunday morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/missing-woman-unknowingly-joins-search-herself-165249353.html

---

So, Redd N-Europe, share some of your stories when you have done something that perhaps isn't the cleverest.

Let's hope the actual missing woman will still be found, regardless of another silly woman's attempt to claim that she's been found safely!

Wouldn't it be great if they found her an identical twin that know one knew about.

That reminds me of a schooltrip. We were all in the bus when the teachers realized one pupil is missing. So they wait and wait for him to come down with the ropeway everyone had to use. After about half an hour I got out of the bus and asked the teachers who was still missing.

The looked at me in surprise then said: "Oh you are already in the bus!"

Best of all it was only their fault. I was sitting in the bus the whole time and they just overlooked me.

That reminds me of a schooltrip. We were all in the bus when the teachers realized one pupil is missing. So they wait and wait for him to come down with the ropeway everyone had to use. After about half an hour I got out of the bus and asked the teachers who was still missing.

The looked at me in surprise then said: "Oh you are already in the bus!"

Best of all it was only their fault. I was sitting in the bus the whole time and they just overlooked me.

Either that or you are just eminently forgettable :p

I have these terrible brain fogs from time to time when I get over-tired - intelligence drops right down, feels like I'm looking through cotton wool at the world.

Anyway, so it was one of those times and I was watching TV with one of my exes and it's a TV show where minor celebrities are singing. This one lady, heavily pregnant, comes on and the announcer says "This is Whatsherface and she's going to be signing "What I did for love" - I think it's obvious what SHE did for love! Hahahaha!"

I turned to the girlfriend and said: "what on earth is he talking about? Why is it obvious?"

Seriously just didn't get it...

The other day in the cinema:

Woman: What popcorn do you do?

Me: Sweet or Salted.

Woman: What's the difference?

Boyfriend: are you kidding me?!?

ID'ing moments at work are amazing. When a pair of customers come in to buy alcohol, if only one of them has ID they're under the impression that they can still have it. This is not the case.

Customers seem to think the window to the car park is something employees can't see through, you see a pair of people walk in, laughing and joking as they walk to the beer, laughing and joking as they walk back. ID routine. Suddenly the one with ID isn't with the other one and he doesn't know them that well. They all drive off in the same van. Genius.

Two chavs came into work, I ID'd them both, one had ID and the other one didn't. I told them they couldn't have the alcohol. The security guard and I watch them as they walk into the middle of the car park and swap jackets. The one who had ID came back and we told him it simply wasn't happening. He seemed genuinely shocked we saw through his brilliant disguise. Shortly afterwards I realised it would've been more entertaining if we'd let him walk all the way to the beer section and let him walk to the self serve before refusing him. Life's full of these regrets.

Amateurs! Me and my pals never let the ID-less one anywhere near the shops when we were stocking up.

How strict are you? If the guy with ID is 21 and the other one looks a similar age, do you sell anyway?

Well it's now if you think they look under 25. Personally if I ID them both and only one has ID, no one gets any.

ID'ing moments at work are amazing. When a pair of customers come in to buy alcohol, if only one of them has ID they're under the impression that they can still have it. This is not the case.

What's the cut off age though?

I could go to the shop with my 11 year old sister and buy alcohol. What age is it that I can no longer buy alcohol with her at the shop when she's close to 18, but isn't actually 18?

I can understand why shops need to do it but the implementation in some cases is terrible. If I was 17 and went to the shop with my mum would they have to stop her buying any alcohol?

I think my girlfriend was with her mum once shopping and even though she was over 18 she didn't need to bring her ID since her mum was just buying wine as part of the shopping like normal. She was refused because the gf didn't have ID.

Such a grey/stupid area.

What's the cut off age though?

I could go to the shop with my 11 year old sister and buy alcohol. What age is it that I can no longer buy alcohol with her at the shop when she's close to 18, but isn't actually 18?

I can understand why shops need to do it but the implementation in some cases is terrible. If I was 17 and went to the shop with my mum would they have to stop her buying any alcohol?

If there is a visibly older looking parent with them, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and let them have it.