Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Tomodachi Life

A French language trailer has leaked!

Looks like the voice synthesis system has made it over intact :D

Oh wow. :)

Cheers for sharing @Dcubed. : peace:

This has got to be close to getting released then... :yay: :yay: :yay:

Also, has there been any mention of an American release?

Major respect going out to Nintendo/NOE for hooking up Europe with this game though. And seemingly unchanged from the Japanese version. icon14.gif:bowdown:

Ballsy move right there, really hope it pays off.

Oh wow. :)

Cheers for sharing @Dcubed. : peace:

This has got to be close to getting released then... :yay: :yay: :yay:

Also, has there been any mention of an American release?

Major respect going out to Nintendo/NOE for hooking up Europe with this game though. And seemingly unchanged from the Japanese version. icon14.gif:bowdown:

Ballsy move right there, really hope it pays off.

Reggie did mention it a whiles back, off the cuff of course, so I reckon it'll be their big 2014 second half game world wide (much like what Animal Crossing NL was last year).

I don't see why you were so worried about them butchering it in localisation though. When have Nintendo ever done that before? (And no, Doki Doki Panic - SMB 2 doesn't count, they obviously weren't gonna use licensed characters from a Japanese TV show over here - and it was always intended to be a Mario game originally anyway :p)

Edit: Ok I forgot about Panel de Pon, but that was a looooooong time ago...

I can't see what way this will go. I don't think it will be inbetween, I can see it totally bombing or actually being a surprise hit. After all, I never thought Animal Crossing would do well over here but 10 years later and it's one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

I don't see why you were so worried about them butchering it in localisation though. When have Nintendo ever done that before? (And no, Doki Doki Panic - SMB 2 doesn't count, they obviously weren't gonna use licensed characters from a Japanese TV show over here - and it was always intended to be a Mario game originally anyway :p)

Edit: Ok I forgot about Panel de Pon, but that was a looooooong time ago...

It depends on the game I guess, but more often than not (especially with quirky stuff) they like to make lots of little changes during the localisation process.

WarioWare: Twisted is a perfect example of this. So many pointless changes were made to that game it's unreal! :shakehead

Check this out:

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/20/wario-twisted-vs-mawaru/

Yes the US version is still a great game and a lot of fun, but looking at some of those changes I'm truly confused as to why they were even done in the first place. I mean outside of the stuff that's understandable (like altering the Famicom to the NES etc.) the changes do nothing but kill the humor/vibe of the game. ::shrug:

BsI0XVr.gif

vQ93sP8.gif

And I just hate it when the original vision of a game is changed into something else. Even if it's only a minuscule thing and even if the change is done by the same developer. icon13.gif

Other examples I can think of would be...

Princess and Bowser not drinking champagne on the victory screen in SMK.

Ness wearing pajamas instead of being naked in EarthBound.

The mermaid's bikini top being changed to a necklace in Link's Awakening.

Small changes, but pointless and infuriating changes all the same. :nono:

Here are some sites to check out for more info on this kind of stuff BTW:

http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

http://legendsoflocalization.com/

Edited by RedShell

They're really keeping the name "Tomodachi Collection" and aren't translating the name? (Which literally translates as "Friend Collection")

How strange and un-Nintendo like... That sounds more like something Level 5 would do!

Maybe NOA will call it Friend Collection anyway and NOE will just continue to be weird? ::shrug:

Maybe they figure 'Tomodachi' kickstarts a nostalgic drive for people to buy the game...

Unrelated but man, thanks for this link :D

I love reading up on un-used stuff and hidden things in games, the Mario 64 article had me frothing all over my computer. Dat Yoshi egg! That, along with the (fairly random if you think about it) encounter with Yoshi atop the castle makes me think he was possibly playable at some point, or that was the hope, at least!

I remember when Sunshine came out Miyamoto saying something about him wanting Yoshi to be a playable character in a 3D game for quite some time!

Oh I thought you were talking major sweeping changes, instead of the usual small stuff. I'm sure we'll still be seeing some of that here...

And I just hate it when the original vision of a game is changed into something else. Even if it's only a minuscule thing and even if the change is done by the same developer. icon13.gif

Sometimes those kinds of changes are necessary in order to preserve the developer's original vision though. To take an example from Wario Ware Twisted itself...

wariowarechanges06.jpg

The middle picture is a good example of a perfectly sensible change. The original JPN version of this microgame is based on the story Journey to the West. The idea behind this microgame was to be a Warioware take on an ago old fairy tale that anyone playing the game would be instantly familiar with; this however doesn't work in the west as almost nobody outside of Asia is familiar with the story at all, so they reworked it to be based on Jack and the Beanstalk instead. Both the intended gameplay and gag now makes sense for us outside of Japan.

Likewise the reoccurring Poo sprite in the Wario Ware games is another play on a typical gag in Japanese culture (it's also an Emojii symbol), of which we don't really have an equivalent; so they change it to money, because that's a re-occurring gag with Wario himself and how he has eyes for nothing else.

Otherwise some changes like the shape of the glass of wine in that other WWT microgame are required in order to be able to hit that desired E/3+ rating. The only real unfortunate change I see in WWT is that microgame where the wrestler appears in your bed; again somewhat understandable given the possible connotations involved, but still a bit of a shame :(

The mermaid's bikini top being changed to a necklace in Link's Awakening

Ness' nakedness in Earthbound is another cultural thing as semi-naked children aren't really treated in the same way over there as they are here. It's a popular trope in anime and such, where they show scenes of enlightenment involving children. Obviously that wouldn't fly here, so they had him with his pajamas to show that sense of innocence that he had starting off, juxtaposing that with how far he has come.

The rest are changed for obvious reasons...

Not all changes are bad and indeed are often necessary to keep the original vision intact. It's not just blanket censorship.

Edited by Dcubed

It depends on the game I guess, but more often than not (especially with quirky stuff) they like to make lots of little changes during the localisation process.

WarioWare: Twisted is a perfect example of this. So many pointless changes were made to that game it's unreal! :shakehead

Check this out:

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/20/wario-twisted-vs-mawaru/

Yes the US version is still a great game and a lot of fun, but looking at some of those changes I'm truly confused as to why they were even done in the first place. I mean outside of the stuff that's understandable (like altering the Famicom to the NES etc.) the changes do nothing but kill the humor/vibe of the game. ::shrug:

BsI0XVr.gif

vQ93sP8.gif

The mermaid's bikini top being changed to a necklace in Link's Awakening.

It's plain obvious what the intent with those two changes were. One has alcohol and has been made into what looks like a glass of something non-alcoholic (seriously, look at the anime where in translation alcohol becomes milk or some crap...) The other picture is because it was two guys in bed together. Can you imagine the soccer mom outcries? LOL

Not all changes are bad and indeed are often necessary to keep the original vision intact. It's not just blanket censorship.
Yeah I know, I'm perhaps exaggerating a wee bit. :heh:

But let's not forget the other negative point to this which I didn't really touch on before, and that's the time it takes for these alterations.

Additional time for the devs to edit their games, and additional time for us to wait for games to be localised. :zzz:

I'd much rather they just do straight translations (even if some stuff is then a bit weird) if it means we get games sooner and more importantly that devs can move on to the next project quicker.

Kinda like this stuff @RedShell?

HERE

Another good example yeah. I mean what the hell? :blank:

It's plain obvious what the intent with those two changes were. One has alcohol and has been made into what looks like a glass of something non-alcoholic (seriously, look at the anime where in translation alcohol becomes milk or some crap...) The other picture is because it was two guys in bed together. Can you imagine the soccer mom outcries? LOL
Meh.

Personally I don't see the issue, and I think Nintendo's "kiddy" reputation in the west has actually been hugely influenced by them doing this kind of stuff over the years. icon13.gif

It appears that many of their games have subtle adult humour in them, which is then either toned down or completely removed from the western versions. :indeed:

I find it difficult to believe that any of those things that were changed in WarioWare: Twisted (like the drink and the guys in bed together) would have resulted in an increase to the games rating. But if it that is indeed the case, then it's the rating systems outside of Japan (PEGI, ESRB, OFLC etc..) that are in need of serious overhaul. :nono:

It shouldn't be an issue now anyway. I swear it's mainly late teens and 20-somethings playing Nintendo games now whilst all the 8 -15 year olds are playing COD and FIFA :p

At least in my experience.

Maybe "Tomodachi Collection" kind of sounds more like a game than "Friend Collection", and also makes a point that it's a really Japanese game? I still wonder why they called it Ni no kuni instead of Second World or something. Gamers just tend to know basic Japanese so they know their audience.

Yeah I know, I'm perhaps exaggerating a wee bit. :heh:

But let's not forget the other negative point to this which I didn't really touch on before, and that's the time it takes for these alterations.

Additional time for the devs to edit their games, and additional time for us to wait for games to be localised. :zzz:

I'd much rather they just do straight translations (even if some stuff is then a bit weird) if it means we get games sooner and more importantly that devs can move on to the next project quicker.

Another good example yeah. I mean what the hell? :blank:

Meh.

Personally I don't see the issue, and I think Nintendo's "kiddy" reputation in the west has actually been hugely influenced by them doing this kind of stuff over the years. icon13.gif

It appears that many of their games have subtle adult humour in them, which is then either toned down or completely removed from the western versions. :indeed:

I find it difficult to believe that any of those things that were changed in WarioWare: Twisted (like the drink and the guys in bed together) would have resulted in an increase to the games rating. But if it that is indeed the case, then it's the rating systems outside of Japan (PEGI, ESRB, OFLC etc..) that are in need of serious overhaul. :nono:

Well yes, I take no offence to the original Japanese version, and true I doubt it would have affected ratings, but you know what "people" are like. Gamefreak had to remove the slot machines from all future Pokemon games because of some crappy outcry from parents/government/whoever not wanting their kiddies exposed to gambling...despite it somehow being perfectly reasonable to have them exposed to it on adverts on TV essentially 24hrs a day.

This Direct is hilarious

83c0f.jpg

Miyamoto in love with Peach. Aonuma with Zelda, Shiabata with Samus

a25b804d99669937cf48e11usr.jpg

This is freaking hilarious. Easily one of the best Directs yet. I'm actually LOLing at work here.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

BEST DIRECT EVER!!!

I need this game, NOW! (June 6 is waaaaayyyyy earlier than I was expecting! :bouncy: )

Mario Kart 8 and Tomodachi Life have already guaranteed 2014 as a vintage year in gaming for me. :love:

Happiness overload.

Haha, it's like Animal Crossing on crack...

Also, Iwata wanking in the tub, wth??

Haha, it's like Animal Crossing on crack...
They should run with that for the advertising of this game. :heh:

Well that was the weirdest Direct/trailer ever!

And now we know what Iwata does all day. ;)

Interesting how it's out right before E3.

Sign in to follow this