NEurope
Dog-amoto

Do you buckle up in a taxi?

Going for the inaugural N-E Most Sensible Thread of 2012 here.

Pretty much everyone will wear a seatbelt in their own or the family's car - it's just common sense, right? But I went for a night out in Manchester last night with about 7 others and I was the only one who buckled up in the minibus there and back. Now bear in mind this guy was doing 50 in a 30 zone, tailgating and undertaking other traffic and generally driving like a bit of a nonce.

So why is it that perfectly sane people trust a maniac enough with their lives not to wear a seatbelt? I can't even put it down to the alcohol as people don't do it at the beginning of the night either.

I buckle up and always make sure the person sat in the seat behind me buckles up.

In my youth I didn't wear them as much but over the past coupla years I've started to feel more cautious in an automobile. It doesn't help that ky girlfriends car won't stop beeping until a seatbelt is plugged in.

In a taxi though - the big Hackney things I don't as I find myself leaning forward too much. But the taxi's which are in normal cars I usually do wear a seatbelt. Haven't been in a minibus in many years but depending on the purpose would I wear a seatbelt. Should it be a family journey the seatbelt will probably be worn, if it's a pissup journey I think I'd be moving around too much.

Same as EEVILMURRAY here - but only because I've only been in the hackney ones when on a night out with lots of drunk folk. I don't know why that's an excuse either... we are probably all too blind drunk to even find the seatbelts...

How about buses!

How about buses!

Because of the size of them, most incidents buses are involved with won't have the same kind of impact as a smaller car. For school buses and coaches, the seats are designed close together and have a thick foam so the seats themselves are protection (it also helps that the seats don't move, like in cars). These buses were designed because they didn't trust people (kids) using seatbelts. Although some buses, like Stagecoach ones, don't seem to follow this design. Additionally, as on a bus you have the extra time for walking off it, seatbelts would add even more time that would be taken off getting off a bus in an emergency.

Also, if you add seatbelts, then you would also have to make them compulsory or few people would use them. On top of this, you would also have to stop allowing standing on buses, which will be a massive problem for busy routes.

I always do in a taxi (car), but I don't on a bus or coach. On a mini-bus I'm not so sure. If I was going to be turning round and talking to friends then probably not. But if I was on my own then I might.

I always when there is a seatbelt. I prefer not flying forwards, breaking my face on things.

My brother doesn't, even when he drives, and he drives a bit recklessly -_-

If there is a seatbelt I think I will put it on, unless I'm drunk because then I just can't manage it.

In Denmark there are no seatbelts on buses. If there's a seatbelt in a vehicle I'm pretty sure it's obligatory to buckle up, and I don't think a taxi driver is allowed to take off until everyone's strapped in.

Because of the size of them, most incidents buses are involved with won't have the same kind of impact as a smaller car. For school buses and coaches, the seats are designed close together and have a thick foam so the seats themselves are protection (it also helps that the seats don't move, like in cars). These buses were designed because they didn't trust people (kids) using seatbelts. Although some buses, like Stagecoach ones, don't seem to follow this design. Additionally, as on a bus you have the extra time for walking off it, seatbelts would add even more time that would be taken off getting off a bus in an emergency.

Also, if you add seatbelts, then you would also have to make them compulsory or few people would use them. On top of this, you would also have to stop allowing standing on buses, which will be a massive problem for busy routes.

You should see the FirstGroup buses where I live. There's no protective foam. Just a plastic back with rounded metal as a handle on top of them all.

I never seem to buckle up in a black cab but will always do it in a normal 'car' taxi for some reason. The only time I buckle up in a coach is if I'm in the 'death seat' (i.e. back middle) with nothing in front of me as you get flown about everywhere on the French roads enroute to the Alps.

I actually do.

I mean, it's still a vehicle on the road after all and accidents can happen. I also sometimes do it on coach rides as well depending on how psychopathic the driver seems.

Took me years to drum the importance of seat belts into my dad's head. He's a van man and used to claim buckling up added about an hour to his day. Thinking back, I was a little incessant at times but it seems to have worked. He gets home an hour later than usual pretty much every day now, safe and sound with a big old frown.

The way I see it, any extra measures I can take to secure my well-being is money well spent. My protective bubble will be arriving next week and I simply cannot wait to take it for a spin on the London Underground network.

Edited by Guy

I do, safety first people!

For some reason my girlfriends mum and sister keep 'forgetting' when they are in my car so I have to keep reminding them...

I saw it on a news article about seat belts on US school buses. I can't quite remember why I was reading that article. I must have had a debate about it with someone and checked later to see who was correct.

If there is a seatbelt, I will use it. It's not just a question of whether or not you trust the driver, you also need to consider other drivers on the road. Someone could easily crash into your car while you're being driven perfectly safely.

I really wasn't aware a lot of people didn't use the seatbelt in a taxi. They drive like maniacs half the time =/

Most of them ask you to here in Ireland so I wear them pretty much all the time.

If i'm in the front, I'll always wear my seatbelt. In the back, never.

Same whether i'm with a friend/family member, or in a taxi.

You don't buckle up in the back seat?

Most brits will know what this video is even before looking. Warning to others - a little graphic.

I'd never seen that one.

Most of the ads here have the people in the back floating around hitting into everyone, but that one got the message across very well I think. Much better than the ones I've seen here.

I'd always worn seatbelts in cars anyway because my dad would always make such a point of it but when I first saw the ad that Jay posted, I was scared straight to the point where I am disgusted by anyone who wouldn't wear a seatbelt :p YOU'RE ALL KILLERS!

I always wear a seatbelt with the sole exception of when I'm at work. Top speed is 15, and it's a refinery so everyone is driving safe. Though, we are supposed to.

If I'm on a coach and there's a seat-belt available, I will wear it. Mainly because if something ever did happen and I got into an accident, it would be an incredibly lame way to lose your life or become paralysed or lose a limb. If that is going to happen, it should happen in an extremely cool way, like you were saving a family of kittens from a burning building before the roof collapsed on your leg, or you were jumping from a high place to save somebody who was falling in midair.

Seat-belts are a must for me. There's nothing really "cool" about not wearing one. If there isn't one available, then you can't do anything about that.

I always wear a seatbelt even if it's like a short 2 minute journey. In fact everything I do in life is to ensure my own safety. :p

I thought this thread was going to be about being unable to converse with the taxi driver. :heh: