NEurope
The Peeps

Banjo Kazooie

This needs to be a permanent thread on here. One of my favourite games of all time. Lately I've been listening to the soundtrack on youtube because the tunes are so memorable and brilliant that I've never really forgotten them. The world was so rich and full of humour and the music really complimented the game.

Banjo Tooie was a decent sequel but I don't think it quite captured the same feeling as the original. The level designs seemed to be a bit over-sized which made the worlds a bit less memorable I think.

I played through Banjo Kazooie again recently on the 360 (though I still have the originals) for like the third time and went straight on to Tooie again after that but I didn't get through Tooie for a second time. Now I'm thinking of going back to play Banjo Kazooie again.

Anyone else want to show love for this game? I would love another game in the series. I really liked Nuts n Bolts but I'd like to see Banjo and Kazooie platforming again. Are there any similar games out there today?

I still haven't played any of the Banjo Kazooie games.

And now I kind of don't want to just to spite you. :p

I can live with that.

Maybe I'll play them one day. The same day I stop making lame jokes, probably.

Make it a Let's Play. Then you can tell me how awesome the game is while you're showing it!

Maybe then I'd be convinced.

Fantastic game!!

It has one of my favourite intro's ever... and just doesn't stop being amazing from then onwards.

I haven't played the game since it was released on the N64, but I have nothing but fond memories of the game, I'm honestly not sure I can fault it in any way. It was a 10/10 of a game.

The music was great, the levels were really diverse and imaginative (something Mario could learn a thing or too about), the transformation were brilliant fun!

The whole secrets/codes thing was brilliant, and inputting them in the sand castle... as was the whole mystery surrounding the hidden eggs!

Plus I think this had one of the best Final Boss Fights I can remember!... JIN-JO!!!! :D

So many great moments! Flying over Treasure Trove Cove... Sliding down the Snowmans scarf in Freezeezy Peak... just a brilliant, brilliant game!

Banjos were awesome, still yet to finish N&B. Don't know how well the N64 ones would hold up now for new players, though.

There are so many moments in that game where I can still remember the first time I played through because they are so fantastic. The game is so immersive and fun!

I remember the final boss being so difficult and it was so brilliant to see the giant Jinjo come to help! I think I found the boss so difficult that I actually did go back to collect the things I'd missed so I could unlock the rooms that boosted your inventory for the final boss.

I don't usually finish a game 100% because fetch quests and collecting things usually bore me but in this game it stayed fun all the way through (something they managed to keep all the way through to nuts n bolts which I also 100% cleared) and I think the main reason being that at the time, I really felt like I had to 100% clear it just to have a chance in the final boss.

I totally am going to play through again :p lol

Banjo-Kazooie

One of my favourite games, and easily my favourite platformer. The XBLA version is really well done, too. The music has been stuck in my head since I originally played it, and it's a lot of fun to complete 100%. The levels are brilliant, the characters are funny.

It's just brilliant.

Banjo-Tooie

It's grill a great game, but the levels are a bit too big. It also felt that, while the levels were bigger, there wasn't really much platforming in the game, with a lot of the jiggys being minigames (I'd forgotten just how many there were). It was still fun to play, but I haven't 100% completed the Xbox version yet.

Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge

I was quite surprised as to how many moves they managed to stick into the GBA version. It's a decent platformer, but nothing great. There was also one terrible minigame per level.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Most of the negative reviews I read on this just seemed to be trying to review the game as if Rare had tricked them into thinking it was a platformer when they purchased the game, only for them to discover when they played it that it wasn't.

I loved Nuts & Bolts. I actually set myself a restriction when playing: I had to use the default vehicle in all times when not on missions. Meaning that I had to explore and travel across the levels to each mission, which I enjoyed doing a lot. The missions were good and the vehicles were a lot of fun to make and use. The online was a lot of fun, too, even if it didn't last long due to the number of people playing (it also has the best online system I've seen so far).

Damn I wonder if there's any way Nintendo could get these games on the Wii U shop!

I guess unlike DKC there are no Nintendo characters in the game for them to be able to do so.

On the Xbox version is Nintendo replaced by Microsoft on the intro glockenspiel or something else?

On the Xbox version is Nintendo replaced by Microsoft on the intro glockenspiel or something else?

BK is one of my all time favourite games and easily my favourite platformer. Such strong nostalgia with this game and music for me. Funnily enough having non properly implemented secret eggs and ice key added to the mystery and greatness of the game than if they'd been properly implemented. BT was a large step down and really shouldn't be uttered in the same breath as BK.

I think Banjo Tooie's mistake was it tried to be better than perfection (Or near enough to it) and ultimately made a few bad design choices, not to say it's a bad game as I never played it.

Funnily enough having non properly implemented secret eggs and ice key added to the mystery and greatness of the game than if they'd been properly implemented.
Absolutely! :D

Hmm, interesting that so many of you hate BT. I thought it was just as brilliant as BK, if not even better. Larger worlds, more gameplay variation, plenty of secrets and so on. Great music too. Totally a fan.

Banjo Tooie is still a great game and I love it nearly as much as BK but I think the larger scale levels among other stuff just made it too bland and a bit lifeless. The first game felt packed full of adventure and characters. The second game felt like it had less active worlds.

Hmm, interesting that so many of you hate BT. I thought it was just as brilliant as BK, if not even better. Larger worlds, more gameplay variation, plenty of secrets and so on. Great music too. Totally a fan.

It's very good but not in the same league. The thing is, the size and pacing of BK was perfect, so making the next game have much larger levels wasn't going to make it better. It had many more tedious elements that would later be seen in DK64 (although made much more tedious in that game). This consisted mainly of noticing things that you couldn't interact with until a later time, requiring lots of backtracking.

It's very good but not in the same league. The thing is, the size and pacing of BK was perfect, so making the next game have much larger levels wasn't going to make it better. It had many more tedious elements that would later be seen in DK64 (although made much more tedious in that game). This consisted mainly of noticing things that you couldn't interact with until a later time, requiring lots of backtracking.

I agree, the pacing could've been a bit more polished, or at least they could've given you a Metroid style map to keep track of everything. Still, for some reason I don't remember being that bothered about it, managed to find everything I needed eventually. Even completed the game 100%...Prob used some gaming mags / teh internet for help every now and then, but hey, that's how it goes nowadays... ; D

I absolutely loved this game - and still do.

I think the stroke of genius was giving every world a different theme and changing the playability of them with Mumbo's transformations :grin:.

I loved how the Jinjo's cried out when you were close to them and the comedy of the game was just brilliant.

I also liked how the stuff Grunty used to shout out throughout the levels / hub area had to be remembered for the quiz part at the end. Genius.

Sadly, I have never played Banjo Tooie but I do intend to one day what with it being available through XBLA.

They just don't make em like this anymore :p

Banjo Kazooie = pr0. I've had the soundtrack for years and now, and used it for when studying for background noise as I knew that if something with lyrics/weren't feeling at the time I'd be singing along or wasting time selecting a new track. A game which actually made you want to get 100%. I've not played Banjo Tooie but I have Nuts & Bolts. I can't remember liking it that much, but I didn't hate it.

It's strange how SO many of us, absolutely loved Banjo Kazooie and completed it 100%... but yet never felt compelled to pick up the sequel!!

You'd think being one of our favourite games at the time/ever, we all wouldn't be able to wait to get some more!

But it just shows how badly Rare must have/did approach the sequel, and what we all got to see and read about it in magazines (the only source of info at the time) just put the majority of us all off!

It's strange how SO many of us, absolutely loved Banjo Kazooie and completed it 100%... but yet never felt compelled to pick up the sequel!!

You'd think being one of our favourite games at the time/ever, we all wouldn't be able to wait to get some more!

But it just shows how badly Rare must have/did approach the sequel, and what we all got to see and read about it in magazines (the only source of info at the time) just put the majority of us all off!

Don't put me in the same group as you lot! :D

I bought Tooie on release weekend. I will always remember it as I was on holiday at the time. I always used to take my gaming consoles with me on my jollydays, used to drive my parents nuts. :)

Anyway its a memory that has stuck with me because I remember playing the Witchy World level where you had to fly around in the ufo. It took me ages to do, so I kept repeating it over and over. My mum was sitting there doing a crossword puzzle and was losing her mind that she kept hearing the same noises over and over again. She did think Banjo was adorable though, especially the way he walked.

I did enjoy playing it but as others have said the game was far too big for its own good and didn't match the greatness that is the original game.