NEurope
Daft

10 years left to live.

I guess this is kind of a random question (and a pretty arbitrary length of time, too) but thought I'd try and help reinvigorate the forum with a *shock horror* new thread. What if you knew that in a decade your time would be up. What would you do? How do you think it would change your life plans?

tumblr_lpadid9YOI1qzi80do1_500.gif

Good question. It might not sound like it but 10 years is still a relatively long time to actually plan things out for. My attitude to things has always been why put off till tomorrow, what you can do today. I'd probably stop worrying about petty things and wasting my time on trivial matters. In terms of life plans, i'm not sure you can map out what you want to be doing by a certain time, life will no doubt find away to derail you from it.

I'd seriously consider investing my time into helping others. I think it would be a great shame, or even a dishonour, to die without doing something positive for humanity.

...speaking as a student.

Not sure a thread about death is gonna greatly help matter!

But maybe that's just me. I know I'd rather not think about it; the thought depresses me enough as it is having felt I've wasted so much of my life already.

Edited by Retro_Link

If it was exact, I'd save up for nine years then have a year-long round-the-world holiday.

If it was exact, I'd save up for nine years then have a year-long round-the-world holiday.
Why not backpack around the world for 10 years doing small jobs & volunteer work along the way?

Why not backpack around the world for 10 years doing small jobs & volunteer work along the way?

Family. In 9 years my youngest brother would be 15. It would be nice watching them grow up before I left.

Also, it would be nice to find someone to have a kid with. Although I'm not sure if it would be a cruel thing to do considering you know you'll die when the kid is still at a young age.

Family. In 9 years my youngest brother would be 15. It would be nice watching them grow up before I left.

Also, it would be nice to find someone to have a kid with. Although I'm not sure if it would be a cruel thing to do considering you know you'll die when the kid is still at a young age.

Yeah I'd have thought with 10 years left the morally right decision would be not to start a family. A full on relationship would probably also be difficult.

But yes being with and around your family is reason enough.

This was my thinking. I definitely want to have a family (would like to start in the next few years, unfortunately I'm falling at the first hurdle, but that's for the "serebii's excuses" thread). Would you be able to do it knowing that you're going to leave them in less a few years? The best you could give them would be just over 9 years. Realistically it would probably be less than 5/6.

This is probably disgustingly ignorant and ungrateful, but living to an old age has never enchanted me as I am a neurotic emo, so I wouldn't be sad or anything. I guess I would work as hard as possible to amass as much money as possible to live comfortably for say, four or five years. So work to save up and sort out my parents' debts, then quit computer science and do lots of part-time courses of things I've always wanted to study (fashion design/visual communications/language/philosophy) and travel ALL OVER THE WORLD and take lots of pictures and write lots. That was basically my plan all along :)

Everyone: what's the rationale for wanting a kid? :o

Edited by EddieColeslaw

Honestly?

I'd probably just carry on as normal... :blank:

I'd probably start a thread on an internet forum asking what to do, and then just do what they told me to.

Honestly?

I'd probably just carry on as normal... :blank:

SO MUCH GAMING TO CRAM INTO TEN YEARS.

Personally, one of the things I'd do is start reading more books.

Carry on the same but with the comfort of knowing when I'll die. I'd probably write more and quicker to get something out there so there is a sense of me left in this world, along with all the other junk I'd be leaving behind. Everyones scent lingers. :smile:

I might buy a watch that counts down how long I have left.

Probably be just as aimless and clueless as I am now, but with added panic. I am trying to methodically situate myself in such a state... but I think I'm like Eddie but in the sense that I've not really really accepted that I'll live past my 20s yet. Part and parcel.

Anyway, the important question is what are you planning to do to us all in 10 years time Daft?!

Get some sort of loan which I won't have to pay back for 11 years and party the fuck out.

...leaving a massive debt for your family to pay when you die.

Ten years? Quite a while. I'd see my current job through for however long it'll take me, currently I think that's until the end of next year...or tomorrow, if they really fancy it, but yeah. See that through, see if I can stick with them doing something along the way, and just generally try and make the most of the next 7-8 years in a mild way, see where I am then, and take all the money I've managed to save and live a crazy couple 'last' years. Maybe spend 2 of the years 7-8 spread over america staying with all the various familys and stuff I've got. I'm assuming it'd be a very nice quick death that was just like a bomb in my heart or something, not actually affecting my health until that very day.

This is probably disgustingly ignorant and ungrateful, but living to an old age has never enchanted me as I am a neurotic emo, so I wouldn't be sad or anything.

Haha, you should totally make a sig out of that. EddieColeslaw: 100% Neurotic Emo xD

As for me, I don't really know. Maybe start putting forth all the crazy ideas I have, or not. My problem with life is that I'm a bit too aware of my own insignificance, hence little motivation to really do anything. It's not like anything you do is unique per se, there are always other people doing similar stuff. Thus I feel "nah, well good for them..." and slip back into my slumber of laziness.

Hmm, surely there is something wrong with this kind of thinking. I mean yes, we are all insignificant pieces of cosmic fly shit, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything...

Not sure a thread about death is gonna greatly help matter!

But maybe that's just me. I know I'd rather not think about it; the thought depresses me enough as it is having felt I've wasted so much of my life already.

Tbh, I find this one of the strangest notions. Pretty much the only certainty we have with life is an inevitable death, to ignore or run from it strikes me as foolish. I tend to think I'm happy to embrace death if I know it's coming, but of course, I don't right now so I can't say that for sure. I'm sort of generally aware in the back of my mind that I could die at literally, like, any time though.

...leaving a massive debt for your family to pay when you die.

I'd buy them new identities.

I'd like to say that knowing I'd only have 10 more years to live, I'd put them to good use. But in reality, I'd just stay exactly the same: confined within my own little bubble, too introverted to step out of it and really make any significant changes that'd benefit me.

If I actually applied myself, I'd like to think I'd be able to at least do something worthwhile and contribute at least one meaningful piece of research to neuroscience all the while trying to cross off items from my to-do list (which is mainly filled with places to travel to and see and all other types of cliched stuff). Kind of hard to think of what else I would try to do in that time when I've not given my future much thought beyond what I want to work as.

Having a plan in place probably would be more beneficial than going with the flow of day to day living but then again, if you've only got 10 years left I think just going with the flow rather than purposefully trying to pursuit various things would be better emotionally in case you ultimately didn't manage to complete/do something you wanted to do.

It's an interesting question for sure and has made me reflect on my lack of plans for the future, albeit briefly. I'll add it to my 'To-do' list and get to it eventually :indeed: