NEurope
ReZourceman

R.I.P. Tony Scott

He has committed suicide. I am stunned.

Tony Scott, the brilliant director of TRUE ROMANCE, THE LAST BOY SCOUT, CRIMSON TIDE, ENEMY OF THE STATE, TOP GUN and many more first-rate studio films, has committed suicide at the age of sixty-eight. According to KTLA, he jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge near Long Beach.

I can't process this news at the moment. Scott was a vital filmmaker with several projects in development. His sleek visual style was hugely influential in the 1980s, and he refined it in the early '90s as he began to work with media savvy writers like Shane Black and Quentin Tarantino. Critics decried Scott as a style-over-substance commercial director, but the glitzy "Friday Night Football" opening of THE LAST BOY SCOUT set up a sharp critique of our blind idolization of sports stars. Scott was a skilled smuggler. He was also an amazing storyteller. All told, he was one of the most talented filmmakers of my lifetime.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57744

I've just read about this now and i'm gutted and shocked. He was a brilliant director and I enjoyed his films more than his brothers.

R.I.P Tony. :(

Very sad news, Crmison Tide is one of my favourite films of all time and of course Top Gun.

R.I.P Tony.

What a tragic loss for the film industry and indeed in general...

R.I.P Tony Scott :(

RIP Tony Scott. Didn't expect this at all.

Random fact, he's Ridley Scott's younger brother. Never knew that until today.

^That was the first thought I had. "Ridley's brother has died! Oh no! ... Shit, what films did he do?!"

True Romance is The Film on his list that I loved. I've enjoyed the first season of The Good Wife, which he had a hand in. Man on Fire, Spy Game, Enemy of the State, Beverley Hills Cop II...

I'll watch Top Gun this week, for him. Sad story.

Well, RIP. Can I say that I am more familiar with the work than the man, but I enjoyed the work a lot.

I'll watch Top Gun this week' date=' for him. Sad story.[/quote']

It's a masterpiece. Shame on you for not seeing it sooner.

During filming, director Tony Scott wanted to shoot aircraft landing and taking off, back-lit by the sun. During one particular filming sequence, the ship's commanding officer changed the ship's course, thus changing the light. When Scott asked if they could continue on their previous course and speed, he was informed by the commander that it cost $25,000 to turn the ship, and to continue on course. Scott wrote the carrier's captain a $25,000 check so that the ship could be turned and he could continue shooting for another five minutes.

Now that is how you make a movie.

^That was the first thought I had. "Ridley's brother has died! Oh no! ... Shit' date=' what films did he do?!"

[b']True Romance[/b] is The Film on his list that I loved. I've enjoyed the first season of The Good Wife, which he had a hand in. Man on Fire, Spy Game, Enemy of the State, Beverley Hills Cop II...

The list of films he had a hand in and I enjoyed is quite large. Man on Fire is one of my favourite ever movies. I've always rated him higher than his brother. I think I've only ever truly enjoyed 4 of Ridleys offerings, which were Gladiator, Matchstick Men, Black Hawk Down and Legend. I used to like Alien but I don't think that has aged well at all.

^That was the first thought I had. "Ridley's brother has died! Oh no! ... Shit' date=' what films did he do?!"[/b']

True Romance is The Film on his list that I loved. I've enjoyed the first season of The Good Wife, which he had a hand in. Man on Fire, Spy Game, Enemy of the State, Beverley Hills Cop II...

Haha, well you are on the opposite side of the world. Maybe your thoughts are the opposite of mine. Anti_LiNk.

Also, speaking of opposites, I haaaaaate True Romance. Not just a little. I really, really hate it. But, I'm happy to pretend it doesn't exist and love Beverley Hills Cop II, Enemy of the State, Man of Fire and Top Gun that little bit more.

Nothing can be as shit as Domino though, let's get that out of the way now.

Sky news are starting to report that he had been told he had inoperable Brain Cancer.

If that's the case, i can understand why he'd commit suicide.

Still, a tragic loss to the industry. I'm considering watching Top Gun or Enemy of the State in tribute to the great man tomorrow night.

R.I.P

If that's the case, i can understand why he'd commit suicide.

Still, a tragic loss to the industry. I'm considering watching Top Gun or Enemy of the State in tribute to the great man tomorrow night.

R.I.P

Indeed I suppose it's understandable given those circumstances, perhaps knowing this makes it dare I say easier for us as fans of his work to come to terms with it all but I still feel for his family and as you say it's still a tragic loss. :(

I've started my own tribute to him by watching Enemy of the State once again which is a really fantastic film.

I suspect I'll continue this by watching Man On Fire tomorrow night with possibly more rewatching of his greatest works to follow.

Still in a bit of shock I think, Crimson Tide is one of the finest popular thrillers ever produced and still a favourite of mine. This guy defined the action/political thriller genre for the next decade, what a terrible terrible loss.

Sky news are starting to report that he had been told he had inoperable Brain Cancer.

That was based on "an anonymous source" reported first on ABC and has since be completely denied by both his wife and the coroner.

That was based on "an anonymous source" reported first on ABC and has since be completely denied by both his wife and the coroner.

Yeah, I have since read that, I made the post literally as they started to report it.