NEurope
Diageo

Coming Out

With regards to parents, you have to remember that our generation is the first where people in general started accepting it. For some people, it's just hard to adjust. It's not really closed-minds but more that they're not used to it.

Yeah I totally agree.

I did try and tell myself this but it seems that my mum looks on it as a bad thing. She said 'if it's what you want'...

That just pissed me off. It's not what I want - it's who I am for fuck sake. And I'm the same person I was yesterday before I even mentioned it - so what's the problem?!

I said that in not those exact words - and if I'm fair things have got slightly better. She shown some interest in a guy I was seeing a while back, but it was more to make sure I wasn't gonna be murdered I think.

Agree though Cube - it's definitely the generation thing in my case.

Yeah. My parents hate modern technology, so I know how you feel, Aneres.

My sister was fine with it, but as I say my mum had the whole 'how do you know if you don't go and meet girls' thing.

That's when you ask her how she knows she's straight if she's never been with a woman and find out all the disgusting details of the one semester at university she spent as a lesbian.

Yeah. My parents hate modern technology, so I know how you feel, Aneres.

Wow yeah. It must be so tough.

Wow yeah. It must be so tough.

One day at a time, Aneres. One day at a time. :sad:

Sorry to hear about your mom, though. Hopefully she'll come around.

I was in the front room with my two parents who were talking about getting a new shed whilst watching Big Brother...

I'd been meaning to tell them about it for quite some time but it never felt like the right moment. Because the conversation was so incredibly dull though, I decided to mention it then.

But it didn't come out properly :p I had this whole speech in my head but as I went to say it my words got stuck so instead I just blurted, "GUYS, I'm gay".

They looked confused at my sudden outburst, possibly because I'd suddenly gone red in the face and quite light headed but maybe also because it had nothing to do with sheds or the shit that was on TV.

My mom asked me if I was drunk because of my odd behaviour until she accepted it a few hours later after I got to explain myself properly :p My dad was also cool with it, though when I first shouted my coming out statement he coughed his tea in his lap, it was like something from a cheap comedy.

About a week later was my college trip to Amsterdam, I got incredibly drunk on the ferry there and told everyone. So yeah, pretty shoddy execution but it worked out well :p

It's not really closed-minds but more that they're not used to it.

I'm pretty sure that's what being close-minded means. Not being open to new ideas and challenging your idea of the norm.

A lot of straight girls do this.

True but none of my straight girl friends do it, that's probably why I said that. Whenever lads talk about girls like that, my girl mates just roll their eyes (even though they constantly talk about lads the same way but still) but with her, it's just funny because she says things like "I would have a go with her" and stuff, it's just funny.

Also, I agree with what somebody said on here. Parents who don't take to their sexuality so well have to remember the times when they were raised but even then, something's got to give. To them, it's a thing they need to get their heads around.

True but none of my straight girl friends do it, that's probably why I said that. Whenever lads talk about girls like that, my girl mates just roll their eyes (even though they constantly talk about lads the same way but still) but with her, it's just funny because she says things like "I would have a go with her" and stuff, it's just funny.

I think that it's a security thing. Most girls don't behave like themselves in front of men and so they wouldn't do this kind of thing unless in a girl-only crowd. Plus there is the whole psychological slant of women assessing other women from a mating rights and competition point of view. There's also the fact that modern media completely idolises women to the point where even women's magazines have almost no pictures of half naked men but do have lots of pictures of women.

You bastard! I was coming in here to post that. :nono:

Great minds think alike, and have a tendency to come in the same places.

As I think I wrote in my long-winded Madonna post elsewhere I think the saddest thing is that so many young people's sexuality (and by extension a visceral, important, defining part of who they are) is TOLERATED by their family. Obviously there's cases of being kicked out/beaten, whatever, but how horrible to live in your home knowing you were loved in spite of who you are, not because of who you were.

H8. I'm so thankful for my situation.

As I think I wrote in my long-winded Madonna post elsewhere I think the saddest thing is that so many young people's sexuality (and by extension a visceral, important, defining part of who they are) is TOLERATED by their family. Obviously there's cases of being kicked out/beaten, whatever, but how horrible to live in your home knowing you were loved in spite of who you are, not because of who you were.

H8. I'm so thankful for my situation.

Yeah, it almost seems worse. "Tolerate" is such a begrudging word/concept.

Simply say "I'll tolerate your tolerance of me-for now" and the problem is swiftly solved with a double-backhander of FU.