NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Puppeteer

Puppeteer is a brand new franchise developed exclusively for PlayStation 3 by SCE JAPAN Studio. Set in a magical puppeteer's theatre, this title will introduce you to a strange and fantastic world, where the environment is constantly changing. Players will enjoy a rich, dark fairytale where surprises lurk around every corner.
According to Sony, while most games involve moving through the world, Puppeteer instead moves around you. All action takes place on the same stage and there are “surprises in every scene” including “weird and wild situations.”

Puppeteer follows a boy who has been carried away by the Moon Bear king into a castle where he’s transformed into a puppet. He soon begins a quest to find a pair of magical scissors, which appear to be his primary weapon in the game. He will be able to lose his head, which he must then replace.

Edited by Retro_Link

This isn't a Move game, right? Because it look really good.
Yeah it had me wondering whether it was a Move game... it's that bit where the shadow of the scissors are illuminated right?... kinda makes you think you'll be controlling them with motion.

But then I rewatched the trailer and everything after that looks more like you're controlling the character and then he's just carrying the scissors and not the other way round; so I think it's just a cutscene with theatre style lighting.

Plus there's no mention of Move anywhere, so I think it's all good.

Looks absolutely fantastic! An honest to goodness original IP, with an honest to goodness original game concept!? (The scissors I mean, the head mechanic is ripped straight out of Dynamite Headdy - which is a good thing BTW!) SIGN ME THE FUCK UP! :bouncy:

The art style is incredible too. Looks like truly authentic vintage theatre with a slight Japanese flair to it (the witch's design looks like it was cut straight out of Spirited Away!)

Best game of the show for sure!

Really sounds great!

Meet Sony’s wonderfully imaginative new PlayStation exclusive.

If you watched Sony’s Gamescom press conference, you’ll have briefly seen Puppeteer in action. It looks mental. An unashamedly theatrical 2D puzzle-platformer with flamboyant artistic direction and voice acting straight out of a pantomime, it’s the brainchild of director Gavin Moore and SCE’s Japan Studio. It’s a beautifully imaginative game that plays with the form and conventions of theatre and puppetry to distinguish itself in gameplay terms as well as stylistically, born of Moore’s desire to create something that could capture the mind of his own son.

It’s a dark fairy tale story, beginning with the abduction of a boy’s soul by a malevolent bear-king who lives on the moon. Young Kutaro, the protagonist, finds himself transported into the body of a wooden puppet. The presentation of this puppet play is luxuriantly over-the-top, with red velvet curtains that flutter and billow with the action on the stage and an unseen audience that gasps and laughs at key junctures. “Kuuuutaro! KUUUUUTARO! Will you be my friend?” bellows the imposing, red-eyed Moon Bear King, in a stage voice that booms from the speakers, before biting Kutaro’s head off and discarding his body. From there, you have to find different heads for Kutaro to wear, each of which can be put to use in different situations.

At this point, near the beginning of the first act, Puppeteer looks like quite a simple 2D puzzle platformer – but the longer you watch it for, the more nuance it reveals. Towards the end of the first act, after Kutaro has escaped through the basement and kitchens of the Moon Bear King’s tower and climbed back up to the top, he finds himself in possession of a magical pair of scissors that lets you cleave through the fabric of the sets, cutting shapes out of cloth puppets or props. We’re shown only the most basic application for these magic shears, as Kutaro cuts through patterns of cloth to create a door for himself through to the King’s throne room.

The 2D perspective allows Japan Studio to be especially lavish with the sets, realising the animation, characters and backdrops with exceptional detail. “I hate 3D cameras,” says Moore. “It takes a really, really good coder to get a very good camera working in a game. Here, it’s fixed – and it meant that suddenly we had all this CPU power we could use to create other things, like full theatrical lighting and real-time shadows.” In the absence of a camera, the right stick controls Yin Yang, a flying witch’s cat with headlamps for eyes who accompanies Kutaro for this early part of the game, mewing advice in Cheshire-cat-style honeyed tones.

But the two-dimensional viewpoint isn’t restrictive – Kutaro isn’t always walking from right to left or left to right across the stage. Some sets rotate, like the tall spiral tower that Kutaro must climb to find the magic scissors. Others will be top-down. The sets are constantly changing around the player, with new furniture and props clunking into place and the stage lights following and spotlighting the action. There’s an impressive physicality to it all; it looks and sounds like a play, a window into a stage, rather than a digital creation. The audience gasps, bombastic orchestral score and sound effects, and ostentatious voice-acting all draw you in to the theatrical conceit, as does the detail in the sets, from those gently undulating stage curtains to the smoke effects – even the clop of Kutaro’s puppet feet on the stage floor.

If Kutaro gets hit by anything malicious, he loses whichever head he has on at that moment, giving you three seconds to scramble around and pick it up again. Each head has contextual actions – the first one that you find, a useless skull, comes with a little puppet skeleton dance. A spider head, found later, lets him interact with giant spider webs around the world. At another point, he was wearing a hamburger for a head, whilst navigating a basement kitchen full of dancing crockery and fiery hazards, and staffed by other headless unfortunates whom the Moon Bear King has eaten.

Unlike many artistically inventive 2D platformers of our time, Puppeteer isn’t a digital-only release. “It’s a full-release blu-ray disc, so expect the amount of content that you’d expect from that. It’s more than you would imagine, I will say that,” Moore confirms. “Puppeteer is huge. It’s absolutely huge. It’s full of wild and wonderful situations, with variation in changing sets and gameplay and enemies. People will be shocked by the amount of stuff that we throw at you… If you’re going to ask people to pay for a game [on disc], you want to give them a new experience.”

Puppeteer is certainly that – I’ve never seen anything like it, and comparisons to things like Paper Mario and LittleBigPlanet feel shallow and superficial after you’ve seen more than a few screen shots. Most interestingly, when Gavin Moore was asked whether it’s a happy game or a sad game, he seemed to find himself unable to answer. There’s European fairy-tale darkness in this story, a touch of Grimm, where bad things sometimes happen to good children. The presentation might be flamboyant, but it’s not primary-coloured or childish; if I were seven years old, I’d probably find it compellingly scary.

Puppeteer has been in the making for almost three years already, and will be out next year. Hopefully we’ll see more of it at Tokyo Game Show next month.

This looks great, but makes me think it's a shame Miyamoto never got to make his Marionette game.

It's almost a shame this isn't a PS4 game because I'm worried it's going to get lost. It looks awesome.

It's almost a shame this isn't a PS4 game because I'm worried it's going to get lost. It looks awesome.

I'm curious if there any of this year's PS3 games will be programmed to work on the PS4, too.

With games due out later this year (and beyond, it seems), it seems silly to have them unavailable to people buying a PS4.

I think it would require a serious redistribution of resources to do that.

Sony are probably the only console manufacturer that supports their old consoles so it doesn't really surprise me.

Just watched the first trailer, don't want to see too much, but it looks bloody brilliant!! :D

I hope the audience really react to you, so if you almost fall off a ledge, or save yourself from a fall, their are gasps and ooohs and aaahs etc... :)

Definitely getting this, there seems to be a huge range of gameplay/diversity and the animation is beautiful!

Looks like LBP but less floaty, which is a good thing. I still don't really get it.

It does indeed look awesome :D Love the textures/general style.

LTTP - looks superb. 3D should be awesome too.

I was seriously thinking...what does he mean, (A) Link to the Past? :blank:

/idiot

This game is full retail? I thought it was a PSN game.

Anyway, looks sweet!

Was planning to but I tried Rayman Origins first and then realised I wouldn't have to play another 2D platformer ever again.

I'll give it a go. Ibb and Obb was shit, don't bother downloading the demo. I thought it was that awesome looking Hohokum game and I grew seriously disappointed very quickly

Anyway, looks sweet!

That's the only positive thing I can say about the demo. The game looks good.

The gameplay is fucking boring. Yes, it's a demo and there isn't a lot to do, but I can't imagine that there will be anything other than jumping and cutting, and so far both activities aren't fun at all.

And the worst part...this game desperately wants to be funny and it tries so hard, but it just is so god damn unfunny. Didn't even smile once.

Also, the cat-thing-whatever-it-is is annoying with its meeeooooooown/meeeewagic puns.

Nope, will not buy.

Sign in to follow this