NEurope
jayseven

UK rail fares up 6+% - Ridiculous or fair?

Dude. You need to highlight this to the company they work for. That's not legit practice.

I think the company is fed-up of me complaining about things, the train has failed a few times to stop at my station when i either wanted to get on or off. With the getting off, they tried to charge me for the journey back, which was cheeky.

jeez you guys have AWESOME transport compared to over here.

Cost of fuel is getting more and more expensive so, well, live with it. *shrugs*

Never gonna complain about public transport here again...€1.90 single trip for me to get into the city centre, which takes around 15 minutes, usually. The buses are very clean and new too. Of course it doesn't compare to the public transport system in Hong Kong, but it will do :p

The tube in London is so awful and broken, random lines closed for maintenance on random days, no AC. The buses seem ok, I can't really remember what the fares were like though. I think that public transport should really be taken care of by the government and it should at least be affordable - the point of it is so that people don't drive (expensive, congestive, and environmentally unfriendly) cars. Travel is a basic necessity, for work, school, etc., in my opinion anyway. Or else we're back in the Middle Ages and might as well walk to the next city over a few days :s

jeez you guys have AWESOME transport compared to over here.

Cost of fuel is getting more and more expensive so, well, live with it. *shrugs*

The cost of the train service isn't just getting expensive it is becoming extortionate. That RPI + 3% is the Government's decision not the companies (who can charge even more!). They know the economy is stalling and yet they cause these problems by squeezing the disposable income of everyone. How can you kickstart an economy that needs people to invest in, when people have less money to use to invest?

I pay over £2k a year for my transport into London, I live at home to save money for the future so that I don't have to rent all my life and they are just making it worse and worse for those who commute. A 6% increase in price will not result in 6% more trains nor 6% more space on trains it is ridiculous.

Also, while I'm complaining, why is it Scotland and possibly Wales (last time I heard, they hadn't decided yet) don't have to abide by the same rules? Scotland don't need to increase prices as much as England nor do the students pay university fees yet the Government as far as I know mooch of money that is split from Westminster. Or can someone tell me that Scotland's Government are separate and relying on their own money gain from only Scottish taxpayers to subsidise heavier than England?

[Minor digression @Jayseven, RPI is CPI + property inflation included i.e. all the consumer crap you listed earlier plus general price movement in houses]

I know it's a developing country is all, but I have to brag...

My daily cost at the moment looks like this:

25 RMB from doorstep to metro station in a taxi

7 RMB metro ride to work district

15 RMB taxi to actually work place

1 RMB bus fair back to metro

7 RMB metro to home.

Total = 55 RMB

= 5.60 GBP*

*IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: People occasionally drop their trousers and just take a shit right there on the metro platform, the squalling larvae of slack-jawed locals either never stop crying, or only stop to start jumping up and down on the seats and kicking people, the buses stop only if THEY feel like it and taxi drivers will almost certainly try to rip you off in any way possible. **

**ADDITIONAL: as a non-Chinese person, you are going to get stared at, spoken about as if you weren't there, kids will spit at you and parents will not do anything about it, they will allow the disgusting little spuds to pee on the train floor and not even blink, dirty veiny boobs will be produced for breastfeeding whenever desired.

One good thing about the travel price hikes - It's a more accurate measurement of inflation than the CPI, which is statistically manipulated to look nice, and ignores hidden inflation (smaller portions for the same price). When there's actual profit at stake, rail fares will not lie.

TFL's war chest is offensively large.

If the world is a worms level and your vertical position on the map is your income, TFL have yet again raised the water line. Complaining about how it doesn't affect the guy halfway up THAT much is ignoring everyone at the bottom who is drowning.

I know it's a developing country is all, but I have to brag...

My daily cost at the moment looks like this:

25 RMB from doorstep to metro station in a taxi

7 RMB metro ride to work district

15 RMB taxi to actually work place

1 RMB bus fair back to metro

7 RMB metro to home.

Total = 55 RMB

= 5.60 GBP*

*IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: People occasionally drop their trousers and just take a shit right there on the metro platform, the squalling larvae of slack-jawed locals either never stop crying, or only stop to start jumping up and down on the seats and kicking people, the buses stop only if THEY feel like it and taxi drivers will almost certainly try to rip you off in any way possible. **

**ADDITIONAL: as a non-Chinese person, you are going to get stared at, spoken about as if you weren't there, kids will spit at you and parents will not do anything about it, they will allow the disgusting little spuds to pee on the train floor and not even blink, dirty veiny boobs will be produced for breastfeeding whenever desired.

Ah, you live in mid wales too!

Sounds typical for Cardiff as well.

The trains we have on the valleylines are the oldest of the old as i mentioned, to the point that we were half-way back to Queen Street (this only happened once) when the carriage we were in separated from the front carriage. Driver didn't realise until it was back in the station that half the train was missing. Did they go back for it, nope. They don't have alarms or anything saying carriage disconnection. Was quite interesting indeed.

Next day, 50p was added to the fare.

I seriously love those hanging around outside the station asking for money for a variety of reasons, most entertaining indeed.

Oi @Charlie answer my question about Scotland's pilfering.

Tbh I've no idea how the SNP do it. We have the 'Barnett Formula' that works out how much money Westminster give us each year. We obviously also raise money with our own taxes. I would guess that we're banking on the economy to turn soon and money to start pouring back in with graduates with free education getting jobs and starting businesses. I just can't see how we're functioning as. A country without huge debt.

At a glance we get:

Free higher education

Free prescriptions

Free eye checks

Free bus travel for over 65

All of these things, I believe, the English need to pay for. If Scotland went independt where is this money coming from? Oil? Perhaps, but it will run out on 10-20 years time. People claim that we have vast renewables which could be true but you cannot guarantee a country on an industry that doesn't yet exist

Pensioners get free transport here too, but otherwise yeah, scotland rocks.

This is the thing - there was more debt after WWII and they still founded the NHS and had free higher education in the 40s...

Stupid conductors try to get more money out of you by changing the clock on the machines, keep an eye on that guys and gals.

I used to have a travel pass, but i lost it. Arriva want to charge £15 for a replacement, which they can kack off. For a weeks travel, it costs £35 with a pass.

Well if they are doing that you should complain, you have a right to do so.

It's your fault you lost the pass so why should you not pay for a replacement? If it works out cheaper to have a travel pass for the week then would it not make sense to pay the £15 so it is cheaper for you in the long run?

Sounds typical for Cardiff as well.

The trains we have on the valleylines are the oldest of the old as i mentioned, to the point that we were half-way back to Queen Street (this only happened once) when the carriage we were in separated from the front carriage. Driver didn't realise until it was back in the station that half the train was missing. Did they go back for it, nope. They don't have alarms or anything saying carriage disconnection. Was quite interesting indeed

Did you complain about that one? How did you get back in the end? Pretty sure you would have had grounds to complain about that as well and got some kind of compo if you were just 'left' there.

Well if they are doing that you should complain, you have a right to do so.

It's your fault you lost the pass so why should you not pay for a replacement? If it works out cheaper to have a travel pass for the week then would it not make sense to pay the £15 so it is cheaper for you in the long run?.

Depends on which department you go to, First won't charge but Arriva will. It's the same pass (Network rail) as well.

Did you complain about that one? How did you get back in the end? Pretty sure you would have had grounds to complain about that as well and got some kind of compo if you were just 'left' there.

Another train pushed us back to the station and let us off, Arriva put it down to a fault on the train.

I was on the train yesterday, and the announcer guy said:

"Thank you for choosing this train company for your journey"

Neglecting the fact that he seemed to have forgotten who he worked for, i felt like shouting at the tannoy - "We don't choose what company we use! We just get on the train that is going to where we want to be!"

It seems a bit weird that all these companies are competing for customers and such, yet most people are going to go on the same journeys regardless of who is running the line. It's not like someone trying to get to Glasgow is going to suddenly go to Inverness because it's with a cheaper trainline...

I've just noticed that the amazing Virgin trains from Manchester to London are being replaced by the extremely shoddy, dirty, grimy FirstGroup trains.

...Why?

I've just noticed that the amazing Virgin trains from Manchester to London are being replaced by the extremely shoddy, dirty, grimy FirstGroup trains.

...Why?

I have no fucking idea. I've been using the West Coast Main Line all my life and I actually can't imagine the Virgin trains not whizzing past at speed. Quite a few years back I wouldn't give much of a shit, but they've improved significantly and I'm rarely faced with a delay when I use them. If there is, they're quick to re-compensate me based on my ticket type.

I hope these government based e-petitions work, because I've signed it. For some reason, I haven't received my confirmation email, so my signature probably doesn't count.

Was it just that FirstGroup offered to do it for less money?

Was it just that FirstGroup offered to do it for less money?

In a sense, yes. The line is franchised, so the highest bidder gets to operate on the line. First Group offered more and unfortunate gets the prize despite their relatively poor customer satisfaction record.

There was a very good comment on the BBC article when the news broke.

Child A and Child B both want to buy the same pet hamster. They both have £10 to spend.

Child A offers £3 for the hamster, knowing that they’ll need the other £7 for food, toys, a cage and water – Everything to help the hamster survive.

Child B offers £10, so gets the hamster.

The hamster then dies of starvation

In a sense, yes. The line is franchised, so the highest bidder gets to operate on the line. First Group offered more and unfortunate gets the prize despite their relatively poor customer satisfaction record.

There was a very good comment on the BBC article when the news broke.

I saw that exact same comment that you mentioned. So true.

I've never travelled on a Virgin Train, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. It seems very irresponsible to give the contract to FirstGroup when they've managed to do very little over the last decade or so to improve the system.

I'm just glad glad I rarely ever have to get the train anymore. However this is one service that I don't mind at all...in fact, I look forward to it: The Eurostar. Comfortable seats, always guaranteed a seat/able to choose where to sit, buffet carriages (two of them), high speed, gets you to Brussels within two hours from leaving London, plenty of leg-room, and more. It would be revolutionary to have the same sort of system through the UK, actually decent looking trains that you quite enjoy being in.

I saw that exact same comment that you mentioned. So true.

I've never travelled on a Virgin Train, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. It seems very irresponsible to give the contract to FirstGroup when they've managed to do very little over the last decade or so to improve the system.

I'm just glad glad I rarely ever have to get the train anymore. However this is one service that I don't mind at all...in fact, I look forward to it: The Eurostar. Comfortable seats, always guaranteed a seat/able to choose where to sit, buffet carriages (two of them), high speed, gets you to Brussels within two hours from leaving London, plenty of leg-room, and more. It would be revolutionary to have the same sort of system through the UK, actually decent looking trains that you quite enjoy being in.

Too true, not that i critisize First Great Western. Seats are comfortable (if you get the reserved seat you paid for that is), food is ok (pricey). Comfortable and smooth journey, compared to a normal train. Get from Cardiff to London in less than 2 hours. And a decent amount of leg-room (and a plug)

Wow, didn't expect that twist. I was just expecting the contract to go ahead as it usually does.

I wonder how the rebidding process will go

She called for full details to be revealed and said Mr McLoughlin should "come clean on the full cost to taxpayers of this shambles"

Indeed! I am interested in knowing what this 'flaw'/'mistake' was. I have no idea what sort of context to expect it to be in...

It's good to know the incompetence in the train service comes from the very top. :blank: