NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U

This arrived in the mail today from Amazon (PS3 Version). It's the limited edition game and it was an absolute steal at £12.99!

What a great little game loads to see and do and the online is fun!

This arrived in the mail today from Amazon (PS3 Version). It's the limited edition game and it was an absolute steal at £12.99!

What a great little game loads to see and do and the online is fun!

Yeah the game is absolutely fantastic. It's a bit sloppy in places, but I absolutely love it. Shame it's absolutely bombed.

Had this since Christmas, really enjoying it so far.

Is the world tour very challenging or am I just crap at the game?

Online seems pretty smooth but it is such a shame though that you can't join friends in public games. Epic fail right there.

Yeah I do wish it was easier for me to play with you guys... I keep seeing you online to play but it's a real hassel "jumping in".

It's so frustrating. Utterly ridiculous.

I'm going n now to play my brother if anyone fancies joining us, in about 5 minutes

For anyone interested or in case anyone hasn't made their mind up about this fantastic game yet, here is our review...

Great review! It pretty much nailed everything i think about the game, its just so much fun even if it does get super hard ^_^

So I tried the demo for this earlier, wasn't really feeling it though. It's OK, but doesn't have the charm or more importantly the fun of Mario Kart.

I was initially tempted to get this game at launch, but having now played the demo I'm glad I didn't.

Might still get it at some point, but I'm in no hurry to do so, and certainly won't unless it gets a hefty price drop. :blank:

Although it seems like retailers insist on keeping the Wii U version at full price, even though it's available for around £15 on both PS3 and 360! :hmm:

So I tried the demo for this earlier, wasn't really feeling it though. It's OK, but doesn't have the charm or more importantly the fun of Mario Kart.

That's exactly how I feel after playing the demo.. but I was pretty much expecting that anyway :heh:

That's exactly how I feel after playing the demo.. but I was pretty much expecting that anyway :heh:
So was I to be honest. But you know me, always optimistic. :grin:Most of the time. ;)

I was initially tempted to get this game at launch, but having now played the demo I'm glad I didn't.

Might still get it at some point, but I'm in no hurry to do so, and certainly won't unless it gets a hefty price drop. :blank:

Although it seems like retailers insist on keeping the Wii U version at full price, even though it's available for around £15 on both PS3 and 360! :hmm:

Did you try it on hard mode? That seems to be where all the fun is; you get a real sense of speed. Could be better but on a whole I think it's not too bad of a racer.

Did you try it on hard mode? That seems to be where all the fun is; you get a real sense of speed. Could be better but on a whole I think it's not too bad of a racer.
I did indeed try hard mode (well, the hardest that was available on the demo), but it's not the difficulty or speed that's the problem, I just don't find the game all that appealing. ::shrug:

Stick with it, I found it a little flat at first but I love it now. I think mario kart needs to learn a hell of a lot from it to be honest. It doesn't have the class and ultimately the design of mario kart, but it's got some great stuff in there.

What track(s?) are on the demo? There are some stunners in there. Once you get used to the excellent drift mechanic where you can link the drifts, the tracks take on a whole new dimension too. They seem custom built for those who have mastered the mechanics...kinda like Mario Kart on the SNES and N64.

Some of the tracks in this game blew me away. The Jet Set Radio, Outrun and Afternurner ones are stunners.

I think mario kart needs to learn a hell of a lot from it to be honest.
Really, like what? :blank:

What track(s?) are on the demo? There are some stunners in there. Once you get used to the excellent drift mechanic where you can link the drifts, the tracks take on a whole new dimension too. They seem custom built for those who have mastered the mechanics...kinda like Mario Kart on the SNES and N64.

Some of the tracks in this game blew me away. The Jet Set Radio, Outrun and Afternurner ones are stunners.

The demo features 2 tracks. You get to do a standard race vs CPU on the Panzer Dragoon track (which provided ample opportunity to get used to the drift mechanic) and some kind of boost time challenge on the Golden Axe one.

Only 1 character is selectable, yep... it's Sonic. :hehe:

I'm firmly in the camp that this game pretty much outdoes the last couple of Mario Kart games.

Yes, it errs on the side of difficult but it's not artificial. It's proper difficulty where you do need to learn the track layouts for best lines and get used to the drift mechanics if you want to topple the AI on the higher difficulty settings. The weapons are also more forgiving and even the equivalent of the blue shell in this game (the Hornets) can be dodged.

Even the transformations are handled well compared the how they were in MK7.

And as @tapedeck said, there are some cracking tracks. The Afterburner one is superb, as is the Burning Rangers track.

The only real issue I have with the game is the way you unlock the characters, but other than that it really is a superb game. So much fan service (Samba de Amigo!).

Yeah, I'd say try and rent it or something? From what I can tell the demo doesn't do it justice at all. It's my favourite Wii U title so far and after being considerably disappointed after Mario Kart 7, this was a great breath of fresh air. Some wonderful tracks and majestic music, especially if you're a big SEGA fan.

The one thing that could be improved is local multiplayer. Had some great fun on it yesterday with two friends but the menu's are a pain and the graphics do suffer slightly when in local play (no shadows, a few more glitches).

PC version is getting these characters...

(though there vehicle transformations are rubbish! :p)

Really, like what? :blank:

I'm actually doing an article on this very subject. But quite simply a single player world tour mode with different styles of gameplay, a handful of mulitplayer modes, 5 players on one console going online, GENUINE decisions to make whether to take the boosts or get the weapons, it's difficult and fast, simple things like the drift boosts being more powerful, drift boost chains, multiplayer unlocking everything, more and bigger alternate routes, more dynamic stages (though actually sonic takes this a little too far for me)

No rubbing banding AI for one!
Right... and for two? :heh:

I know from previous discussions on the subject that we clearly have very different opinions on that. But hey, each to their own. :hug:

The weapons are also more forgiving
I didn't think much of the weapons in this game really, they seem kind of generic. :zzz:

Do they even relate to Sonic or other SEGA franchises? I'm not exactly in the loop here, so I honestly don't know. ::shrug:

even the equivalent of the blue shell in this game (the Hornets) can be dodged.
But the blue shell can be dodged:

Yeah, I'd say try and rent it or something? From what I can tell the demo doesn't do it justice at all.
Perhaps. But I'm more than happy to wait for a price drop to be honest, plus there are a lot of other Wii U/3DS games on my to buy list. :smile:

@RedShell Sonic Racing definitely improves the more you play it and the mechanics are a bit more involved than Mario Kart. If I judged it on my first few races I'd have thought it was lacking too. I agree with what @dazzybee says for the most part, but I'd love to see a Mario Kart equivalent to the World Tour do it with coherence and charm. My biggest gripe with SASRT is it could honour the Sega legacy so much better - it all feels so plastic and second hand. The tracks never really evoke their respective series for me (whereas Nintendo manage umpteen variations on the simple Mario themes and they invariably feel 'right'). If MK8 did half of what Sonic does but with the all important character and charm it would be a winner.

I didn't think much of the weapons in this game really, they seem kind of generic. :zzz:

Do they even relate to Sonic or other SEGA franchises? I'm not exactly in the loop here, so I honestly don't know. ::shrug:

Totally agree here RedShell. I LOVE this game don't get me wrong - but the weapons are a massive step back from the first game. I know the first game blatantly ripped off MK - but I'd take the rip off items over these any day!

But the blue shell can be dodged:

I've still never managed to do this! I remain eternally impressed! :bowdown:

I actually like the weapons, it makes the game far more skill based. Mario Kart generally gets weapons right, and they're usually great fun, but Mario Kart Wii left such a bitter taste in my mouth with the COUNTLESS blue shells per race that it put me off the entire series for a while.

It's a breath of fresh air being in first place for being a good racer, as oppose to being first and being relentlessly harassed by blue shells until some loser in 8th manages to glide to the finish line at the last second. Then again, that is part of the beauty of Mario Kart :p

I don't know what point I'm trying to make, so... it's great, just don't expect it to be too much like Mario Kart.