NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U

I'm with the "great game" gang.

I asked this on miverse and no one replied, but can yiu do 2 player online? i remember a dev saying you could do 5 player online, but presume that's bull.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've read in numerous placed that you can.

The demo for this game is apparently up on the American eShop so hopefully not too long a wait for the European version.

I've enjoyed the heck out of this. Finally managed to crack A Class now on World Tour (meaning I've won a few!:blush:). It seems much easier in two player, but otherwise this game has really tested me. Definitely a lot harder than Mario Kart with more to get your head round.

Gilius Thunderhead

But it's too damned addictive!

Played it a lot last weekend and yeah, it's a great racer. Mario Kart needs to step it up for the next release. Felt the air and sea bits are better than Mario Kart 7's implementation. Weapons aren't very good though. Blowfish. Seriously?

No framerate issues here.

Yeah, this game is amazing, reminds me of the first time I played Diddy Kong Racing. The World Tour mode is great too, and is something that Mario Kart doesn't offer (though it kind of did in Mario Kart DS and mission mode)

The only thing I've felt isn't too great atm is the online. I often only get around 5 people out of the possible 10 and waiting for a lobby to fill can be a pain at times. If anyone plays this often, be sure to add my NNID!

Ive been enjoying the hell out of this game, its pretty hard, often im stuggling just to get to 2nd place but the game as a whole is very well put together, looks and sounds great and is a lot of fun.

Ive been enjoying the hell out of this game, its pretty hard, often im stuggling just to get to 2nd place but the game as a whole is very well put together, looks and sounds great and is a lot of fun.

I love the music in this game, when I heard the Monkey Ball mix and Sky Sanctuary mixed with Sonic R's "Back in time" I nearly fainted

Yeah we need to get everyone who has the game playing it online. I think games are planned for the weekend so everyone should head on over there

My favourites so far would have to be the excellent Afterburner stage, the House of the Dead and Golden Axe. all of them are excellent stages and the music totally had my blood pumping during the race, my girlfriend kept looking at me weirdly when i let out little yelps of joy lol.

I was a bit disapointed with the Burning Rangers stage, was expecting to hear the main theme but we got that weird rap tune from the end credits instead, hearing the sky sanctuary music flow into back in time had me grinning like an idiot too.

I hope they release a soundtrack cd for the game, some of the different takes on the original tunes are incredible.

I noticed a few bugs playing this earlier, while playing World Tour in 2-player. Firstly when you select a mod it says the name but then reverts all variables to standard, the icons all reset. Tried multiple times with different characters and mods and every time the same thing. Next there was some weird flickering and glitching behind the main player characters on both the gamepad and TV on Roulette Road, which luckily stopped after that one race. I also noticed that on the gamepad screen a thin sliver of the image that should be the bottom appears at the top (eg on the Golden Axe track, a bright yellow line of the lava appears) - might happen in single player too, but it's the first time I've noticed it. Does anyone else see this? At first I thought it could be something the matter with my pad, but it doesn't happen in any other game or in the system menus. I think there are still a few issues to be ironed out. If anyone could check the two player mod thing I'd be grateful.

I noticed a few bugs playing this earlier, while playing World Tour in 2-player. Firstly when you select a mod it says the name but then reverts all variables to standard, the icons all reset. Tried multiple times with different characters and mods and every time the same thing. Next there was some weird flickering and glitching behind the main player characters on both the gamepad and TV on Roulette Road, which luckily stopped after that one race. I also noticed that on the gamepad screen a thin sliver of the image that should be the bottom appears at the top (eg on the Golden Axe track, a bright yellow line of the lava appears) - might happen in single player too, but it's the first time I've noticed it. Does anyone else see this? At first I thought it could be something the matter with my pad, but it doesn't happen in any other game or in the system menus. I think there are still a few issues to be ironed out. If anyone could check the two player mod thing I'd be grateful.

I havent noticed any of those things but ill keep an eye out for them, could be i just didnt notice. Ill post any findings on here tonight.

I like the game, but it has an awful frame rate at times :(

Interesting... I've always found the frame-rate to be consistent though one negative I will mention is that sometimes it's easy to get 'stuck' on parts of the track, especially while flying or doing 'flips' at certain parts.

Otherwise though it's a really solid game, I can only hope that it gets patched though to sort out a few issues like the rumble not working for the Pro Controller and the occasional freeze upon loading though that could be down to hardware or software.

Rest assured that I'm still writing the review btw, I haven't forgotten :) I've just spent that much time playing it when I have the chance. :D

Yeah, as someone who hasn't really played any racing games other than Mario Kart, I am blown away by this. I even like the items, they're a lot fairer and only effect the race slightly... it's mostly about driving skill.

Yeah, as someone who hasn't really played any racing games other than Mario Kart, I am blown away by this. I even like the items, they're a lot fairer and only effect the race slightly... it's mostly about driving skill.

Definitely. Two big positives for me are that items are less game changing (though they still have a huge impact - if you try one of the boost races where it's just pure driving the AI is a lot easier to beat!) and unlike almost every Mario Kart, one character doesn't keep getting the top spot. In other words it feels a bit better balanced.

Having said that, I have noticed certain bottlenecks in the higher difficulties, where you basically get stuck in a particular position and can't progress, even if you drive perfectly, drift, hit all the boosts and trick every jump. The difficulty is also wildly uneven in World Tour. It sort of reminds me of a Rare game from back in the day in that respect; brilliantly designed and balanced in fundamentals, but uneven in the finer points.

Another observation (and it really is that, not a criticism) is that with the tracks being more elaborate and 'realistic', and incorporating water and air, it can be tough to tell sometimes what's 'track' and what's not. There've been a few times as well that I thought this game would benefit from 3D (like in the underground water bit in Chilly Castle or the flying sections in Race of Ages). You soon get used to the chaos though and it adds a lot of excitement to discovering your favourite routes :)

So, I bought this game. And I have played it a couple of hours since launch --about one hour alone, and one with my sister's husband.

As much as I want to like this game, I don't. At least yet.

The framerate is terrible, feels like it only is in the mid-20's. Another thing that might weigh in on my opinion, is that the only other cartoon-racers I have ever played, is the Mario Kart series. I think Sonic Racing lacks a polish that Mario Kart has. It is difficult to be more specific now, as I have played little of it yet. But my former complaint still stands, and do take away my excitement for exploring this game; but if I did explore the game, it could impact my latter complaint.

Edited by are1981

Definitely. Two big positives for me are that items are less game changing (though they still have a huge impact - if you try one of the boost races where it's just pure driving the AI is a lot easier to beat!) and unlike almost every Mario Kart, one character doesn't keep getting the top spot. In other words it feels a bit better balanced.

Having said that, I have noticed certain bottlenecks in the higher difficulties, where you basically get stuck in a particular position and can't progress, even if you drive perfectly, drift, hit all the boosts and trick every jump. The difficulty is also wildly uneven in World Tour. It sort of reminds me of a Rare game from back in the day in that respect; brilliantly designed and balanced in fundamentals, but uneven in the finer points.

Another observation (and it really is that, not a criticism) is that with the tracks being more elaborate and 'realistic', and incorporating water and air, it can be tough to tell sometimes what's 'track' and what's not. There've been a few times as well that I thought this game would benefit from 3D (like in the underground water bit in Chilly Castle or the flying sections in Race of Ages). You soon get used to the chaos though and it adds a lot of excitement to discovering your favourite routes :)

Agreed, the difficulty in world tour totally spikes randomly and then drops again, ive spent nearly 2 hours on one race and finally beat it only to find the following races super easy. I dont know if there is an easy answer for this, it seems as you unlock racers they take over the positions of the slower characters so maybe if you dont unlock anyone until the end it would make world tour easier? Sonic R actually had that problem, if you unlocked the higher tear characters too quickly it was way harder to finish the game.

Don't really understand the frame rate complaints.

I have played every mode of the game and haven't had any frame rate drops at all. And there are some courses in this game where there is all sorts going on!

Overall, (though I haven't played as much as I could so far), I like it, but I preferred the first one.

One thing I really don't get with this game is the items. They are not memorable at all and a lot of them don't really do much. Though this may be good as it just becomes about the driving, for the harder difficulties you sometimes do need a little item assist to help get you back into the race.

I preferred the missions in the last game too, though they return in a similar style in the World Tour mode.

I do see the difficulty of this game a little on the harsh side. Some of the 'missions' in the world tour are very very difficult to 3 star, even the ones where you have to win the race. :o But I guess it's one of those things that brings lots of reward when you do manage to crack it!

My biggest gripe - is the character rosta. What a dreadful set up of characters. Half of them - I've never even heard of. And why oh why did they take characters like Billy Hatcher out etc? Do not understand that at all.

That aside this is a very solid game, definitely deserving of the praise it's (mostly) had. It's almost so different to Mario Kart that it can't be compared to it I don't think! Mario Kart doesn't feel as 'serious' if that makes any sense, and that's not a criticism of MK at all as I love it - but this series does seem to play a little more realistic.

Looking forward to playing some online - be interesting to see how it holds up.

Don't really understand the frame rate complaints.

I have played every mode of the game and haven't had any frame rate drops at all. And there are some courses in this game where there is all sorts going on!

Overall, (though I haven't played as much as I could so far), I like it, but I preferred the first one.

One thing I really don't get with this game is the items. They are not memorable at all and a lot of them don't really do much. Though this may be good as it just becomes about the driving, for the harder difficulties you sometimes do need a little item assist to help get you back into the race.

I preferred the missions in the last game too, though they return in a similar style in the World Tour mode.

I do see the difficulty of this game a little on the harsh side. Some of the 'missions' in the world tour are very very difficult to 3 star, even the ones where you have to win the race. :o But I guess it's one of those things that brings lots of reward when you do manage to crack it!

My biggest gripe - is the character rosta. What a dreadful set up of characters. Half of them - I've never even heard of. And why oh why did they take characters like Billy Hatcher out etc? Do not understand that at all.

That aside this is a very solid game, definitely deserving of the praise it's (mostly) had. It's almost so different to Mario Kart that it can't be compared to it I don't think! Mario Kart doesn't feel as 'serious' if that makes any sense, and that's not a criticism of MK at all as I love it - but this series does seem to play a little more realistic.

Looking forward to playing some online - be interesting to see how it holds up.

I felt the same about the characters, I was especially confused about the omission of Billy considering he's in the previous game and has his own level in this one.

My only guess is they want to make some money on character DLC in future!

I was also FUMING about NiGHTS. When I saw i'd unlocked him/her/it on the World Tour I was so excited but when I went to choose... I couldn't believe it was one of those fucking Chao things in a weird NiGHTS car.

I was also FUMING about NiGHTS. When I saw i'd unlocked him/her/it on the World Tour I was so excited but when I went to choose... I couldn't believe it was one of those fucking Chao things in a weird NiGHTS car.

But... that's kind of the whole point :heh: NiGHTS is the car/boat/jet which actually works really well, the fact that there is also a Nightopian 'driving' is a pretty hilarious bonus I thought. :D

Anyway, you can still play as 'NiGHTS' in its original form too... just only when in All-Star mode.

But... that's kind of the whole point :heh: NiGHTS is the car/boat/jet which actually works really well, the fact that there is also a Nightopian 'driving' is a pretty hilarious bonus I thought. :D

Anyway, you can still play as 'NiGHTS' in its original form too... just only when in All-Star mode.

I know, I just think NiGHTS in vehicle form is hideous :p and I don't think I've even played All-Star mode, I should probably complete it before I start complaining about things :p

Yeah I have played it for hours and hours and never noticed a single drop in frame rate. I think some people are just unlucky.

To me, it seems a lot more polished than the last few Mario Karts which had huge glitches and very minimal content.

I know, I just think NiGHTS in vehicle form is hideous :p and I don't think I've even played All-Star mode, I should probably complete it before I start complaining about things :p

Each to their own I suppose :) I think the vehicle forms have a certain 'charm' especially the jet, by 'all-star' mode all I meant was when you get the star power up it turns you back to your more 'regular' self, I know it's only for about twenty seconds but still. : peace:

Each to their own I suppose :) I think the vehicle forms have a certain 'charm' especially the jet, by 'all-star' mode all I meant was when you get the star power up it turns you back to your more 'regular' self, I know it's only for about twenty seconds but still. : peace:

Aah of course, I suddenly thought of AllStar mode in Melee and thought I hadn't unlocked it yet :p

Been playong this the last few days. Excellent kart racer. Been playing multiplayer campaign mode, with gamepad and classic controller.

I have seen plenty of frame rate issues and I seriously doubt it's "some people are just unlucky". I haven't seen much of the game in exclusively single player mode though. Perhaps it doesn't happen in singleplayer and perhaps that's why some of you have seen less of it?

The worst offender is the Monkey ball level with the whirpool section. The area shortly before that part gets to like 10fps or something.

Anyway, it doesn't spoil the game though and apparently these issues are there on all versions, so whatever. It is certainly more robust than the recent MK games, at least the ones after MKDS.