NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U

Good to hear from someone who has the game!

I also loved the first so it's great to hear it's improved over that!

Thanks Emerald!

You're welcome mate. I noticed in this thread you played the first game recently and really enjoyed it, I think you will love Transformed and it's improvements. The only potential issue though is the roster gets a bit of a rework from the first game, whether you like that or not will depend what SEGA franchises you like and dislike.

You're welcome mate. I noticed in this thread you played the first game recently and really enjoyed it, I think you will love Transformed and it's improvements. The only potential issue though is the roster gets a bit of a rework from the first game, whether you like that or not will depend what SEGA franchises you like and dislike.

Yeah that one miffed me a bit with the character rosta... ?

Probably the only thing I was confused about. They should have just kept all the old characters and put all the new ones in alongside them. I mean - no Billy Hatcher?! WTF?!!

But glad to hear that aside it's all good! :hehe:

Has there been other opinions regarding this? As in the Wii U version, is it as good as 360/ps3?

I have yet to buy it for any console yet and if it is just the same then I will prob get on Wii U.

Has there been other opinions regarding this? As in the Wii U version, is it as good as 360/ps3?

I have yet to buy it for any console yet and if it is just the same then I will prob get on Wii U.

Yep, most stable framerate of the bunch and slightly higher res textures. Wii U exclusive multiplayer modes are buggy though, but Sumo says they're getting a patch ready.

Review from NWR:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/32617

Yep, most stable framerate of the bunch and slightly higher res textures. Wii U exclusive multiplayer modes are buggy though, but Sumo says they're getting a patch ready.

Review from NWR:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/32617

Thanks!

Lack of voice chat is rubbish but i'm really thinking this could be a purchase now!!

Sooo very early impressions on this one - thought I'd post given we don't know loads about the Wii U version...

It so far is brilliant! :D

The game plays like a dream - looks fantastic, no slow down (as of yet), no frame rate drop, and there are some courses with a hell of a lot going on.

What I really enjoy so far is how the vehicles handle differently. It can be looked at as a positive or a negative really, but with MK7, I found the vehicle changes handled very similarly to their air / land counterpart - just gave a different view of tracks.

With this game, they actually do alter the way you drive / race / drift. I can only see it as a good thing in multiplayer as it means the driver who is in front may not stay that way for long if they make a false move whilst gliding across the waters! :laughing:

I played the first GP and the tracks were great. Just used Tails as my first character.

It would seem there are achievement like features in the game that are called 'stickers'. These can be displayed on your personal license depending on which ones you choose to place there. (Think you can have 3 displayed in total on your license card).

From what I saw, there looks to be over 100 stickers / achievements which is a good number. You can hover over the ones you haven't unlocked and it gives you a description on what you need to do to unlock said sticker.

Also, after each race a list comes up with those that you managed to unlock during your play time. I also think you may get a little alert during the actual gameplay too though can't be 100% sure on that just yet.

Game runs lovely on game pad, however I am slightly disappointed with the gamepad screen now I have it close up. It's good quality, but I think because my TV is so bright and crisp, it leaves the pad screen with a little to be desired. Almost like someone needs to change the colour tone from cool to vibrant ha. :laughing:

But that's nothing to do with the game itself of course. I almost feel like it's a nice option to have, but you'll want to spend time playing this in front of the TV. The visuals almost demand it - as it is a BEAUTIFUL looking game!

My favourite part so far has been racing on a stage where with each lap the terrain changes and in some cases breaks away, leaving you to plunge off a broken ledge into flight mode - taking to the skies, weaving in between crumbling pillars and finding your way back to land.

Amazing!!

Game runs lovely on game pad, however I am slightly disappointed with the gamepad screen now I have it close up. It's good quality, but I think because my TV is so bright and crisp, it leaves the pad screen with a little to be desired. Almost like someone needs to change the colour tone from cool to vibrant ha. :laughing:

Possibly you need to turn the brightness up on the gamepad?

Yeah tried / did that and it did help but still left lacking some what.

Don't get me wrong - this is all to do with being spoiled by my TV and it's brightness as if you were to take what's being displayed on the game pad alone without seeing the TV - it'd be :o ha.

Nah, it's not a brightness issue, it's the colour saturation. My TV's colours are much richer than the Gamepad's.

Probably not something that can be fixed I guess. I wouldn't expect the Gamepad to match the quality of my TV though (My TV is pretty bloody awesome after all :awesome: )

Thanks for the impressions @Aneres11

This will be the version for me then I think, will probably hold off the PS3 version and pick this up whenever I get a Wii U.

Just caved and ordered this off Amazon (delivery tmrw) due to Aneres11's review. My Wii U (also from Amazon) arrived at work but I don't want to unbox it to check if NintendoLand is in there until I get home. If it isn't there, I'll only have NSMBU for the weekend and wanted another game to try.

Now I really want this game, WiiU has got some really good launch titles, especially for multiplayer.

IGN Review:

Wii U Difference.

Amid a sea of sloppy ports, the Wii U version Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed shines like a veritable beacon: with the possible exception of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 it’s the best multiplatform title on the console, and might just have the edge over the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, not least because offline play is now available for five players instead of four.

The ability to play on the GamePad is an undoubted bonus. Normally it displays a map of the course (all the better for seeing who’s behind you so you can lay a blowfish or prepare a boost –dodge from an incoming projectile), but you can also use it as a weapon camera and a rear-view mirror. Meanwhile, a vertical swipe of your finger drags the image from your TV onto that 6.2-inch screen.

Visually, as with the other console versions, it’s a little soft around the edges, which makes for a slightly fuzzier GamePad image than in other games. On the plus side, it’s a particularly welcome feature for local multiplayer – particularly in one-on-one races where neither player has to share a screen with their rival. And talking of graphics, they’re a comfortable match for the other versions, and to our untrained eye the frame-rate seems a little more consistent when the action hots up.

Elsewhere, there are two Wii U exclusive multiplayer modes that both task the GamePad player with bumping into those playing on the TV screen. Ninja Tag asks Joe Musashi to convert his rivals to the ninja cause, while Banana Heist puts you in a giant Monkey Ball, your job to roll into the other players before they collect all that lovely fruit. You can also unlock the ability to play as your Mii by completing Grand Prix mode, and though the vehicle they drive is as nondescript as they come there’s some amusement to be found in their nonsensical babbling as they pass other racers or get hit by a weapon.

These additions are nothing life-changing, then, but they’re fun asides that add extra value to what’s already a bumper package. Those who can’t wait for Mario Kart to arrive on Nintendo’s new console should find this fills the gap very nicely indeed. 8.8/10

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/30/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-wii-u-review

Another game thazt got grilled because of an incomplete demo, but the final product definitely delivers! The last reviews here pretty much got it right:no trace of lost frames, extra pop-in and the like.

The internet-community... exaggerated and drew conclusions too fast? Everything I believed in is a lie...

Anyhoo, does anyone else feel the urge to quote

every single time BD Joe takes to the skies?

Playing splitscreen with one person on the Gamepad and the other on the TV is a beautiful, beautiful thing :D

Multiplayer with one player on the gamepad and one on the screen really is amazing.

Rather surprisingly, out of the four games I've currently got (NSMB U, Sonic Racing, ZombiU and Nintendo Land) it's the one I've played the most.

Has anyone else noticed a bit of choppy framerate when things get a little crazy, apart from that is a really fun gam glad I picked it up

This is priceless...

Has anyone tried turning down the voice of the commentator yet? As you attempt to mute him the 'conversation' goes a little like this...

'What? you're going the wrong way!'

'Shame on you!'

'Don't do this to me!'

'This is my only job!'

'Noooooooooo!'

And then if/when you choose to turn the volume up again...

'Keep Going!'

'Higher!'

'Congratulations! You've turned up the awesome!'

'I'm loving the sound of my own voice!'

Sega must have listened to comments about the err... commentator from the first game, I think it's a hilarious extra touch... :laughing:

It's great when developers have a sense of humour. : peace:

Multiplayer with one player on the gamepad and one on the screen really is amazing.

Rather surprisingly, out of the four games I've currently got (NSMB U, Sonic Racing, ZombiU and Nintendo Land) it's the one I've played the most.

I agree. I don't have ZombieU but have the other games you mentioned and I think Sonic beats them hands down. I'm finding it pretty hard tbh - definitely harder than Mario Kart. I keep getting blasted right near the end so go from 2nd or 3rd to 4-6th on a regular basis. It's a real blast though - great courses and variety of modes. I prefer the weapons in MK but think Sonic's courses are better - the MK courses are getting a little stale for me know.

I was on the fence about this purchase but it really is a top game. Not tried online yet as still working on my skills a bit more for now.

I'm with the "great game" gang.

I asked this on miverse and no one replied, but can yiu do 2 player online? i remember a dev saying you could do 5 player online, but presume that's bull.

Hmm has anyone else tried to play this game with a Pro controller? Because whenever I do for some reason there doesn't seem to be any rumble coming from the pad and I don't mean that it's just weak I mean none at all.

I know the controller is fine as it does rumble when it connects to the console via the home menu but just not while playing... it's by no means a deal-breaker as I'll quite often just be using the gamepad anyway but I was just curious if it's a known problem or not.

Aside from that, the game is awesome! :D