NEurope

Herro!

I'm making scrambled eggs, because I like them. But, I've found that as I'm making it so often, my supply of eggs has greatly diminished. Supply and demand, and all that. (Asda supplied me, and I demanded we make scrambled eggs out of them, haw haw)

The problem is that I've noticed that eggs take up a shit load of fridge space. We've almost gone through two trays in a week...

Do eggs have to be kept in a fridge? I've always done it that way, because we've done it like that at home for as long as I've known. I know Ine's Belgian lot keep them out of the fridge, but is there any real difference either way?

Also, there's lots of things you can make with eggs. I tried doing poached eggs once but failed miserably. Anyone got any tips on this?

Do you put vinegar in the water (with regard to poached eggs)? Apparently that helps keep the egg together.

You can store eggs out of the fridge. What is important is that they maintain a constant temperature. So don't leave them out where the son is likely to catch them, and don't put them in the fridge door.

Eggs are sold off the shelf and un-refriderated in the supermarket so I presume they can be kept that way... but like you say we've always kept ours in the fridge and I guess it just preserves them better... plus I think I've heard they cook better from that state or something.

But yeah Scambled Eggs FTW! Both done in a pan or in a Microwave.

Like mine with milk/cream, cheese and a pinch of pepper.

Also, a Boiled egg (or two) and toast/soldiers is amazing no matter what age you are! :p

Do you put vinegar in the water (with regard to poached eggs)? Apparently that helps keep the egg together.
Yeah vinegar is supposed to help, however spinning the water apparently does nothing to help form a poached egg.

Eggs are sold off the shelf and un-refriderated in the supermarket so I presume they can be kept that way... but like you say we've always kept ours in the fridge and I guess it just preserves them better... plus I think I've heard they cook better from that state or something.

They last longer in a fridge, but they cook better from room temperature.

Also they're sold off the shelf so that they don't warm up and form condensation on the way home.

I tried doing poached eggs once but failed miserably.

Went a little something like this? ; D

14ikgn4.jpg

2hqxhl1.jpg

Scrambled egg with smoked salmon in is a favourite of mine. I have also recently been cutting thick slices of bread, cutting a hole in the middle and frying eggs in the hole, so its friend bread with a fried egg in. Delicious!

So don't leave them out where the son is likely to catch them.

I think Flinky and Ine are OK in that respect, they don't have a son yet!

My mum has a pan which makes poached eggs so that is how I have always done them, ours look similar to this:

byronbaytrading_Egg%20Poacher.JPG

However my gf can make them in a pan by just putting the egg in water (not sure how she does it though....)

I don't really make scrambled eggs, but give me a friend one and some bread and I'm quite a happy Rummy. We always keep our eggs in the fridge, too, not sure why.

However my gf can make them in a pan by just putting the egg in water (not sure how she does it though....)

I did that once before with my flatmate. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is crack the egg and pour it into a pan of boiling water and a bit of salt.

I am able to fuck up any omlette, but it always turns into some glorious evolved form of scrambled eggs so it's all good!

I saw on reddit people were taking slices of pepper to use in place of those metal rings for a fried egg. Some people were even putting some bacon on teh bottom - anyone tried?

Generally, my eggs are for carbonara and cakes. I don't make the cakes.

As others have said, eggs are fine out of the fridge.

When it comes to poaching eggs, there are various different schools of thought. Some people just use egg poachers, which I think is cheating, others (like my mum and apparently Moogle) add vinegar, which in my experience doesn't seem to do much other than make the outside of the egg a bit funny in colour and sometimes taste. Then there's the view that you should create a whirlpool in your pan when adding the egg, and drop it in gently so that the whites furl neatly around the yolk. I've experimented a lot with this method, putting the egg both in the middle and the side of the whirlpool, and this occasionally seems to do something, but often just fails. What seems instead to be the midst important factor is how fresh the egg is, as in fresher eggs most ogre the white is much more glutinous and clings to the yolk far more readily. If the egg is fresh enough then, you can just gently drop it in water and it'll form a nice little poachlet without any extra techniques, and can then be cooked. So I only poach fresh eggs, and save older ones for things like scrambling (which doesn't taste quite as nice, but doesn't cause any problems) and hard boiling (with older eggs being easier to shell, but again are not as nice). There's actually an easy and scientifically supported folk method of determining the freshness of eggs by floating them in water - essentially the more they sink, the fresher they are.

One final issue is how long to poach eggs for, but it seems to me that this values so much depending on your apparatus that it's not really worth giving guidelines, with experimentation working better. Under one approach you heat the water to boiling then put the heat down to lowest, and poach the egg like this for a single minute then take the pan off the heat and leave it to stand for another few minutes. Presumably the goal is a hard white and a soft yolk - this seems to take 5-10 minutes of resting time.

As you can see, my eggs are serious business.

so its friend bread with a fried egg in. Delicious!

I don't really make scrambled eggs, but give me a friend one and some bread and I'm quite a happy Rummy.

Some very friendly food being eaten round here...

I read that putting cucumbers in the fridge actually makes them last shorter than if you leave them at room temperature. This goes for lots of other vegetables, and bread too, although that is to do with staleness rather than going bad.

Nothing to do with eggs, but when is a thread about cucumbers ever going to come up?

A lot of vegetables (typically ones like cucumbers with a high water percentage) don't last well in the fridge as at low temperatures the water expands and breaks down the cell walls, starting the rotting process.

Eggs in the...fridge? Never!!!!

What next, bread in the fridge. Not on my watch.

Got mine in a tub on a shelf, none are in the fridge. Don't like eggs though, so makes no difference to me.

I keep mine in my rectum.

Yes, but does it have refrigeration or not?

Oh no, ReZ's rectum is hot! :wink:

U guise hatching chicks there? : o

Nothing to do with eggs, but when is a thread about cucumbers ever going to come up?

I'll leave this one to @ReZourceman.

The bread issue is interesting though! Despite our egg habits, we don't keep bread in the fridge.; Do you fridge bread @Fierce_LiNk?

Eggs are a strange food for me, because they really affect my mood. I'm guessing it's because of the ridiculous levels of choline, which is a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, but I get a subtle feeling of well being and sensory enhancement when I eat a bunch of eggs.

I was reading up about bread because i'm a loser, although keeping bread in the fridge will stop it going mouldy for longer, it actually speeds up the staling process, so you have to make a decision as to whether you want stale bread or non-mouldy bread. However, i think it becomes stale far quicker that it becomes mouldy, so probably best to just get a bread-bin.

Egg-wise, i don't really eat a lot of eggs. In fact, the only eggs i eat nowadays tend to be ones cooked in cakes by my girlfriend. I like scrambled and boiled eggs, but fried eggs i'm not that fussed about.