NEurope
Murr

A Real Jurassic Park

One Of Australia's Richest And Craziest Mining Magnates Is Rumored To Be Planning A Real Life Jurassic Park

THE suggestion would be considered unbelievable - if it involved anyone other than Clive Palmer.

The controversial billionaire is rumoured to be planning to clone a dinosaur from DNA so he can set it free in a Jurassic Park-style area at his new Palmer Resort in Coolum.

Mr Palmer has, apparently, been in deep discussion with the people who successfully cloned Dolly the sheep to bring his dinosaur vision to life.

If Mr Palmer can resurrect the Titanic, what is to stop him from trying with another of his other alleged passions - dinosaurs?

This is just one of the rumours circulating about Mr Palmer's plans for Coolum.

And while the concept sounds like a joke, it apparently comes from a source close to Mr Palmer's inner circle.

It was the same source who provided the Daily with an exclusive peek at Mr Palmer's plans to build towering hotels at the Palmer Resort with a 20-storey sky needle and a giant, London Eye-style ferris wheel.

Mr Palmer has not commented on this vision yet. Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson has said Mr Palmer was very serious about the plans.

It is also understood Mr Palmer intends to target the Middle East market for his resort.

But this vision, if it is correct, will not bring employment to the region.

It has been suggested he wants to use "fly-in, fly-out Muslim hospitality staff" to cater for his clientele.

While Mr Palmer was quick to deny he had plans to build a sky rail to Mount Coolum, he remains silent about the latest speculations.

He declined to answer questions relating to the dinosaur rumours and the Middle East.

A spokesman said Mr Palmer would hold a press conference in Brisbane on Friday.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/07/31/clives-going-jurassic-sunshine-coast/

Wasn't there stories that they were trying to clone a mammoth at some point too?

What do you guys think the likelihood of something like this actually happening?

Although cool, I was always under the impression that Jurassic Park was always going to be just science fiction and cloning extinct animals was a scientific impossibility.

Though I'm sure someone with a more scientific background will be able to explain it better.

Although cool, I was always under the impression that Jurassic Park was always going to be just science fiction and cloning extinct animals was a scientific impossibility.

If you can get the DNA, then it should be possible at some point. Although that's a big if.

The problem arises from having something close enough to the original animal to work from. With mammoths you can use elephants. With sheep, you can obviously use sheep. With dinosaurs, you would probably use some reptile close enough in DNA to dinosaurs to start from.

The problem though is not just in DNA (as i believe you use the egg from the current creature with the nucleus removed), but you need something that is large enough to lay the actual egg. Seeing as the biggest reptile we currently have is a crocodile, that's presumably the biggest size dinosaur we could theoretically create.

This is what i'd do if i was a billionaire. Instead of going golfing.

Am frankly surprised it's taken so long for someone to try!

This is what i'd do if i was a billionaire. Instead of going golfing.

Or solving things like world hunger.

(Then again, people will protest if you tried to solve world hunger)

Or solving things like world hunger.

(Then again, people will protest if you tried to solve world hunger)

Oh yeah, and that. *blush*

If any money left over though... say hello to the dinos.

The problem though is not just in DNA (as i believe you use the egg from the current creature with the nucleus removed), but you need something that is large enough to lay the actual egg. Seeing as the biggest reptile we currently have is a crocodile, that's presumably the biggest size dinosaur we could theoretically create.

Maybe, but we could make the new creature a little bigger which could then lay an egg which will eventually be an even larger creature, it may take a coupla hundred years but we could have T-Rex sized shits all over the place.

Maybe, but we could make the new creature a little bigger which could then lay an egg which will eventually be an even larger creature, it may take a coupla hundred years but we could have T-Rex sized shits all over the place.

I was about to say the same thing. Or they could do something like genetically engineer the dinosaur to be born at a reasonable size, but then endure exponential growth. I don't know how possible that is though.

There would be a lot of inbreeding involved anyway.

Of course this comes up the day after I buy the boxset of all 3 movies..

Oh yeah, and that. *blush*

If any money left over though... say hello to the dinos.

Don't worry, Pancake. If you clone enough dinosaurs, we can just eat those.

Or they'll eat us. Either way, problem solved!

And he's getting the Dinosaur DNA from?*......

.... not gonna happen.

*he's stolen Richard Attenboroughs walking stick hasn't he.

............ Just don't use African Frog DNA to fill the gaps.

Regarding the mammoth cloning, thats more realistic than Dino cloning. After all, they were basically larger elephants with more hair.

Not to mention that we (humans) have a complete mammoth to get samples from.

Who needs something like this in the first place? Just look out the window, there are tiny raptors flying everywhere...

Who needs something like this in the first place? Just look out the window, there are tiny raptors flying everywhere...

And you can go into KFC and eat as much tiny T-Rex as you want.

Don't worry, Pancake. If you clone enough dinosaurs, we can just eat those.

*daydreams*

rexrw.jpg

And you can go into KFC and eat as much tiny T-Rex as you want.

Dinosaurs were not raptors.

I think MoogleViper meant that a raptor is a bird of prey. Presumably velociraptors were named because of their similarities to birds of prey.

The worst thing about raptors, however, is that there is so much confusion about what they were actually like. The ones in the film "Jurassic Park" are actually much more like deinonychus. Why they called them velociraptors I don't know.

Not that I'd want either of them chasing me, so I hope this bloke doesn't create any. Heck, I'm scared of labradors.

Although joking anyway, T-Rex's probably didn't evolve into birds. It's unlikely every species of dinosaur evolved into birds. I mean it could have been as little as just one species. The variation of all the birds took place after. I mean that's most likely given what we know about birds and how easily they change/adapt to their surroundings. It was most likely one of those small raptor like dinos with feathers that used to glide between trees.

It's unlikely every species of dinosaur evolved into birds.

True, some, for example, evolved into the Chinese Communist Party. And that's where the dead end came.

This would be pretty cool, but has anyone considered the consequences of dinosaurs coming back to life? Whole wings of the museum would have to close, then fossil prices would drop like a stone! How in the hell would we pay off our mortgages then?!

I'm certainly not going to earn any real cash by shaking down fruit trees.

No, no. This has to stop otherwise I'll be in debt to that raccoon forever.

Although joking anyway, T-Rex's probably didn't evolve into birds.

They've analysed proteins so show that the chicken is the closest living relative to the T-Rex.