NEurope
Goafer

Practicality vs Fun

How much is an S3? It still looks pricey-ish.

The new shape ones are quite pricey, but the old shape ones go for about £3,000. Not exactly cheap motoring (It will actually be the most expensive car I've ever bought), but it should be a decent car. Stats are good and Audis are generally pretty well built (like all German cars).

The only real down side is that they're not great on petrol. They're not terrible either, but they're below average.

I think they're "cheap" because they don't really look special. That's part of the appeal to me. I love cars that look boring, but are actually pretty quick. It's great fun surprising the boy racers.

Aaaaaand car thread. MY TWO CENTS HERE ARE USELESS!

Well it was meant to be a general thread, but it seems we've landed on the topic of cars. Feel free to add in any other scenarios that are relevant to you (or anyone else for that matter).

I've got an 11 year old, 1 litre Yaris that I only have to fill with petrol every 5 weeks. It's damn awesome. But you know I couldn't imagine driving another car... for one I'd struggle to park a big car and i'm spoilt with the small amount of money I have to spend on my current one.

If I won the lottery or just had lots of money I'd buy a toyota RAV4 (the old style one, like Letty used to drive).

Not really keen on replacing my car because every bloody new car looks the same! (ford focus anyone?) Even the new Yaris looks like a fucking Focus.... =(

Get the buggy. But what about the rain I hear you say(whine)? Raincoat + oldstyle flying goggles say fuck the rain it makes life interesting.

(Actually, I'd say get a cheap daily and use other money to get a motorbike because fuck yeah)

(Actually, I'd say get a cheap daily and use other money to get a motorbike because fuck yeah)

It's true. I love cars and have been into them my whole life, but my motorbike is more fun that I would ever have expected. I use it as my daily commute and it ticks all the boxes - I get 130+ mpg, get to work significantly quicker than I would in a car (cutting through traffic jams still leaves me with a smug smile on my face) and it's great fun.

Alternatively, if you want cheap practicality, speed and something that only a petrolhead will realise is quick how about a Volvo T5-R estate. I'll always have a major soft spot for these after their entry in the BTCC in the early nineties.

Raincoat + oldstyle flying goggles say fuck the rain it makes life interesting.

To be honest this sounds perfect for Goafer. :heh:

To be honest this sounds perfect for Goafer. :heh:

I think you're underestimating how much I love cars. I have been known in the past to yell "Nooo! My car is getting wet!".

Went to view one identical to this yesterday (minus the sticker):

silver_audi_s3_11.jpg

The car was gorgeous (4WD, 1.8 turbo engine, leather seats, all the luxuries) and seemed to be in working order, but something wasn't quite right with the guy selling it, so I turned it down. Plus it was really stretching my budget. I've got a few more to look at that are in my budget and lower mileage, so no huge loss.

Having seen one up close, I honestly can't find a fault with them. They're fast, comfortable, handle well and are pretty solid. The only drawback is fuel consumption, but even then they're not that bad.

Edited by Goafer

You should at least get a pair of goggles.

Already have, as illustrated by this lovely photo I took:

P5060805bw4.jpg