NEurope
Dog-amoto

Is it quiet in here? Or is it just me?

No no, I found your post actually to be in agreement with my views (and post).

I generally tend to lurk around in the shadows, though anyone that knows me from the C-E days would probably be glad of that :p

I've noticed activity has dropped a bit but as other people have said, it's summer! Most people are busy eating cake whilst watching the Olympics (or that could just be me).

Its summer and its fucking raining... i'm not out in that!

I, like happenstance, have gone off the forum a bit. I do usually visit every day but I don't post a quarter of what I used to. Theres probably a multitude of factors and I think I agree with just about every one of them to point (except the weather thing lol)

that and I don't like any of you.... :heh:

I think everything that needs to be said has already been said.

Also, I notice, we haven't made a song in ages either! There was once talks of us being the most popular pop group in the world, where has that gone?!

Do They Know It's Christmas was a big success, I say we make another #1 and maybe even an album! If The Midnight Beast and others can do it, we can! Who's with me?! Nobody...

But yeah, I see what everybody's saying. It's a bit weird. I think we should all start new topics and stuff and see where it goes. I do think, in one way, making these big threads are detracting (is this a word?) searches and stuff a little.

I think we should do something about this. Get the word out there. Forget the bird, Knee's the word! :D

Maybe if every welcome/ first post thread didn't degenerate into people saying how much they want to sleep with each other/ scaring the new members with "in-jokes"/ how they simply must be banned users, maybe then they'll decide to stick around.

New members can piss off. I won't be happy until we're down to the last 30 true classic members and we're all so content that we visit every day but don't post anything at all. Elite members!

Why not send a mass email out to all members telling them about the changes made to the site in recent months? May entice a few to come back and post again?

Best not tell them about Magnus though...

The only other contributing factor I can think if is probably sites like Facebook, which prompt us to sit in our own bubble and interact those we've deemed "friends" rather than trying to make new ones. Ironically social media seems to make us less sociable in many ways.

Definitely think social networks have taken a lot of traffic away from traditional forums like N-E. Other websites I frequent have noticeably lower activity these days.

Twitter especially where news/media/gossip can be shared within seconds globally, it puts the whole 'better make a thread for this piece of news/funny video' to bed.

Shorty's nailed it. We've all grown up, we have megathreads(maybe a by product of being too lazy to not have them, due to being too busy due to being grown up), and also we don't always act the most welcoming for new folk unless they're...welll, a bit more like us? I dunno. It's really weird, I joined a pony forum recently and suddenly realised how *old* I was on the internet, it reminded me of the forums I was on when I was 13, and the way it was, and then I realised; here, well, we don't really have any *young* members anymore. We've all grown up together, which is awesome, but also in some ways; kinda...depressing in the way it reflects how everyone grows up and grows apart? Iono.

(Oh yeah, and social networks, a big chunk of general internet foruming activity is taken by them)

Do people in the age range below us even talk about Nintendo these days? They're not exactly "cool" around that age; and they're not exactly "nerdy" now, either. They have a massive market now, but I would think that the ones who would talk on forums would be the ones who were already fans and already talking on forums.

Do people in the age range below us even talk about Nintendo these days? They're not exactly "cool" around that age; and they're not exactly "nerdy" now, either. They have a massive market now, but I would think that the ones who would talk on forums would be the ones who were already fans and already talking on forums.

Well, why did we end up here in the first place? To discuss shared interests, sort of? The internet is ever growing and vast, most people find their fixes elsewhere at the larger and more mainstream sites. I'd done it all well before here elsewhere, but here was a bit more...less. It wasn't so strict, it was fairly laid back, and...more european!

Games are also more vast now, tech's more prominent, I don't live in the younger generation(<insert ReZ joke>) but I wonder if they possibly have more access to a lot compared to us?

Even on that, look at how many of us now, have a wealth of games. I've still got sealed games on my stacks. We are all growing up, but in that, growing away from gaming - we don't have the time we used to to dedicate to it, and care as much. Though having said that, even when I joined, a big aspect for me was actually the Gen Chit Chat, so I'll admit that's a weak point.

What's there to still be here for? Peeps said it, possibly jokingly, but if it wasn't for mafia and the playground, I'm near certain I wouldn't be here. It's my general main pull back to here! I left a few times, not intentionally/with a point, just drifted off, I have stuck around longer than I expected; it's due to the playground and mafias really.

Also though, I can't deny the affinity for the people of the forum. We've had five annual meetups, and a few more on top of that. That really does solidify a bond to the forums/community for me. On that front, I'd hopefully never truly 'leave' leave, but then, maybe we're all tied to a nostalgia of what the forums, or possibly even ourselves, once were?

tl;dr - u guyz still kewl yo.

As sort of a continuation of what Rummy said, I feel like such a regular that I don't comment or participate as much as I used to. I'm just ... present. :heh:

Well, why did we end up here in the first place? To discuss shared interests, sort of? The internet is ever growing and vast, most people find their fixes elsewhere at the larger and more mainstream sites. I'd done it all well before here elsewhere, but here was a bit more...less. It wasn't so strict, it was fairly laid back, and...more european!

Games are also more vast now, tech's more prominent, I don't live in the younger generation(<insert ReZ joke>) but I wonder if they possibly have more access to a lot compared to us?

Even on that, look at how many of us now, have a wealth of games. I've still got sealed games on my stacks. We are all growing up, but in that, growing away from gaming - we don't have the time we used to to dedicate to it, and care as much. Though having said that, even when I joined, a big aspect for me was actually the Gen Chit Chat, so I'll admit that's a weak point.

What's there to still be here for? Peeps said it, possibly jokingly, but if it wasn't for mafia and the playground, I'm near certain I wouldn't be here. It's my general main pull back to here! I left a few times, not intentionally/with a point, just drifted off, I have stuck around longer than I expected; it's due to the playground and mafias really.

Also though, I can't deny the affinity for the people of the forum. We've had five annual meetups, and a few more on top of that. That really does solidify a bond to the forums/community for me. On that front, I'd hopefully never truly 'leave' leave, but then, maybe we're all tied to a nostalgia of what the forums, or possibly even ourselves, once were?

[PREPARE FOR ONE CORNY, MUSHY POST...JUST SAYING!]

Wow, that was so deep, dude! And so right as well. It's very true, we all grew up here and even matured more and came here for advice when we were ever in trouble (e.g. the legendary King Virginity thread and the weight loss threads) but does that make it a bad thing that nobody new is here?

I mean, we've all known each other for years now, some longer than others. It's weird to think about it, really; how all of us are connected through this one site, we all talk to one another and make friends and laugh at jokes and stories and get each other through bad times. I mean, we really are a great community.

Nintendo, and I'm being honest here, isn't talked about as much as it used to be/as much as it should do but, and again I'm being honest, this forum is bigger than Nintendo in some ways. It means more. We're like an internet family or something where we know each other like we know ReZ makes a lot of jokes, Chairdriver and Paj use the words 'stun' or 'stunning' a lot (or used to, don't hear it so much anymore) and The Bard can be a bit pessimistic (not a bad thing but still). We all know each other's character and personality and to me, that's fucking amazing.

I'm myself on this forum more than I am on any other website and that's because this forum is laid-back and welcoming. Actually, this forum probably is the most welcoming forum I've known so I've no idea why new people never stay. We're all friendly and stuff and I'd rather have a jokey welcome than a "Welcome!" message any day.

But yeah, you guys are really cool and I find it cool that we all have this kind of bond where we're comfortable with sharing things like that. Sometimes about relationships or life troubles or worries and stuff and yet we're a laugh as well and we create some kick-ass games too! Thinking about it, and I know this probably sounds bad considering, but I don't care if new people come here. If new people come here, hey that's awesome, more people to welcome to the family but if they don't, it's their loss! I love all of you, motherfuckers!

I can honestly say, I post here far more than I used to in my early years.

So yeah...this is all due to you guys. You guys suck. :p

I think perhaps the reason few people stay is exactly that: We've become a small, close-knit family, and I think that makes it difficult for newcomers to really join in. I mean, it's great that we have such a close relationship with each other - I consider many of you actual, close friends - but it may account somewhat for the lack of newcomers.

I genuinely think of you as my second family, really. My virtual family who I can turn to if I need to talk or have a laugh or whatever. It's awesome! Although it's true what Dannyboy has said, we're so used to our ways that it's not easy for newcomers to 'get' us...although Magnus proves that it's not that difficult.

Also, we need a BISH...just putting it out there...

There are lots of positives and negatives with this place.

The positives are that the staff are fantastic, and that there is a close-knit group of members that make this place enjoyable.

However, there is still so much to be done here. I'm going to come out and say that the place took a massive dive in many respects since we made the switch from Cube-Europe to Revo/N-Europe. Joining AdvancedMediaNetwork was meant to herald a new era for the place, but we suffered countless problems. At one stage, I joined another Nintendo forum due to being so pissed off with the downtime and errors.

The place has improved since then, thanks to the hardwork of the current staff (and ditching AMN). But, sadly, we lost so much ground during that time, which also saw the rise of other Nintendo fan-sites. Whilst we stopped growing, they caught us up. Cube-Europe was probably the best GameCube site and forum of its time, but now there are so many great forums and sites. We stopped competing. To those saying "Nintendo has changed", "Nintendo don't cater to gamers", "Nintendo failed us this generation", there are so many issues I have with this. PlanetGamecube were in our shadows during last generation, but after being rebranded NintendoWorldReport, they are one of the best Nintendo sites on the internet. As much as I loathe Cubed3, they have surpassed us. GoNintendo have come and left us in their wake.

Like others have mentioned, there are so many of us who have been here for so long. We know this place like the back of our hand. We're no longer hungry for this place, as it has become our second home. What we really need are people coming in with things to prove. People coming in wanting to make this forum/website the best place on the net. This will then attract new members, people will come in fresh which will make the place more interesting. Better for everyone.

Magnus had blatantly lurked for god knows how long. :heh: He knew all our little quirks already!

There are lots of positives and negatives with this place.

The positives are that the staff are fantastic, and that there is a close-knit group of members that make this place enjoyable.

However, there is still so much to be done here. I'm going to come out and say that the place took a massive dive in many respects since we made the switch from Cube-Europe to Revo/N-Europe. Joining AdvancedMediaNetwork was meant to herald a new era for the place, but we suffered countless problems. At one stage, I joined another Nintendo forum due to being so pissed off with the downtime and errors.

The place has improved since then, thanks to the hardwork of the current staff (and ditching AMN). But, sadly, we lost so much ground during that time, which also saw the rise of other Nintendo fan-sites. Whilst we stopped growing, they caught us up. Cube-Europe was probably the best GameCube site and forum of its time, but now there are so many great forums and sites. We stopped competing. To those saying "Nintendo has changed", "Nintendo don't cater to gamers", "Nintendo failed us this generation", there are so many issues I have with this. PlanetGamecube were in our shadows during last generation, but after being rebranded NintendoWorldReport, they are one of the best Nintendo sites on the internet. As much as I loathe Cubed3, they have surpassed us. GoNintendo have come and left us in their wake.

Like others have mentioned, there are so many of us who have been here for so long. We know this place like the back of our hand. We're no longer hungry for this place, as it has become our second home. What we really need are people coming in with things to prove. People coming in wanting to make this forum/website the best place on the net. This will then attract new members, people will come in fresh which will make the place more interesting. Better for everyone.

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

I agree and I think we should but they always leave. It's always "Hey, I'm new" and we're all "Hey, how are you?" and they hardly ever come back again. I would love it if there was an app for this forum and do you think more advertisements of this place would help so much? I mean, effectively, we ARE a Nintendo forum but I think others need to know that we're so much more than just Nintendo. Right now, it's all about Microsoft and Sony the most, that's all I ever hear and that's not even me looking for it. I think word should be spread about this place, welcome more people into this family we have.

Well, I've been in Asia being swarmed by money grubbing transvestites and being bitten by transient mosquitoes, so I haven't had the time to post my usual two-cent stfu posts of late. I'll be back though, this place has some indefinable allure and the comfort of familiar personalities. Agree with @Shorty though, sometimes I come on here looking for something interesting, a story someone's told or an anecdote from someone's experience, but it's all usually buried somewhere in the good/bad day threads and followed up by two dozen comments that are informed by the context of that one post which has by then become hard to find. If this wasn't the case, I'm sure I'd contribute more. Of course, you might not see that as a good thing :heh:

At one stage, I joined another Nintendo forum due to being so pissed off with the downtime and errors.
... :o

It didn't mean anything though right?...

... And you were thinking of us the entire time?!