N-Europe

RUMOUR: Nintendo trying to buy back rights for Banjo Kazooie

Interesting, I've never actually found a person who had a bad thing to say about BK.

It's terrible. In every respect.

Have I played it? No. :geek:

Aha. I may finally get a chance to play it, as there's a copy of the N64 version in the house. I wonder if it still holds up well. I remember popping into some shop when I was a kid (might've been PC world) and me thinking that the boxart for Tooie looked amazing. Always seemed expensive, though.

Interesting, I've never actually found a person who had a bad thing to say about BK.

I must agree.

BK was excellent fun to play through the first time. But unlike Mario 64 or DK64, I somehow never had the urge to replay it. For some reason, the missions felt like chores the second time around. But the controls were nice, the graphics were a big leap from Mario 64 and the singleplayer campaign was quite long.

I must be the only person in the world who liked Nuts and Bolts more than the N64 games. I just loved the creative aspect of it and just really enjoyed it for what it was rather than complaining it wasn't like the older games. Admittedly, I didn't play Banjo Kazooie or Banjo Tooie until they were redone for XBLA but I just never got the fuss with the games when I sat down and played them, even going in with an open mind and being well aware that games/platformers had moved on.

They just felt like rather meh collect-athons. Perhaps I'd have had a different opinion if I'd have played them back in the day but even comparing them to the likes of the old Spyro games (the proper, Insomniac ones) they just didn't stand out. Felt the same with Perfect Dark (which I played the same way on XBLA first).

So if Nintendo are thinking of getting the rights back for this, I'm not bothered as I'm unlikely to pick it up. Does seem to be a rather strange 'story' and most likely just nonsense.

Banjo kazooie, the most over rated game franchise ever!

No, second. Behind gta.

No, scrap that. Third. Behind halo and gta.

Banjo kazooie is the third most over rated game franchise ever!

Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite games EVER.. but Banjo Tooie has been so disappointing :sad: I keep wanting it to come good but it hasn't managed it yet. I need to get back to it soon, but I'd certainly consider that one to be overrated.. :hmm:

Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite games EVER.. but Banjo Tooie has been so disappointing :sad: I keep wanting it to come good but it hasn't managed it yet. I need to get back to it soon.. :hmm:

Tooie was far too big for its own good. Rare just made the worlds bigger with more stuff to collect. It's not a patch on the original IMO.

Have played the demo of nuts and bolts and had people talk my ear off about the N64 ones but do people really think that this game is cut out for the modern gaming world? It seems a bit old fashioned in a way...

Nintendo need IP to fill in the blanks in their slate - Banjo would fail at this. Nintendo would need to be looking at the rights of Perfect Dark and Conker so this rumour makes no sense (the only two IPs Nintendo should have kept when selling off Rare).

Nintendo didn't hold any rights on Conker though, that was always going to be owned and published (well, publishing rights) by Rare.

I completely forgot to mention Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini in my last post. Who could take those on now? Maybe Platinum Games taking on JFG?

It personally strikes me as odd that people can think SM64>BK unless they didn't fully complete them both. SM64 was awesome for the time but BK trumped it in just about every way. It was refined, it looked, played and sounded great. And the humour carried it all the way across the finishing line.

SM64 story progression was dull, and while the levels might have seemed fairly cool for the time they were all quite hodgepodge. BK levels were properly fleshed out and felt like real environments.

Banjo Kazooie gave us one of the greatest end boss battles in a videogame, which started with this!

hqdefault.jpg

It was a fantastic addition and really tested whether you were paying attention as you were playing through the game. Bravo!

The music in the first game was also a piece of work.

Spiral Mountain

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Rusty Bucket Bay

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Main Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Click Clock Wood ( spring )

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Freezy Peak

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

FANTASTIC :bouncy::bowdown:

It's funny that people keep comparing SM64 to Banjo Kazooie and Tooie when the two/three games could scarcely be any more different!

While SM64 is a pure platformer that happens to take place in an open 3D environment, Banjo Kazooie is more of an action adventure game with platforming elements. The actual platforming in BK and in BT is actually fairly basic and is instead mostly a tool that is used for exploring. Most of the challenges in Mario 64 are that of the platforming kind (whereby you are rewarded with a star for accomplishing a platforming task), while in BK & BT most Jiggys are either rewards for exploration (the ones you find lying around), rewards for completing seperate mini games or are rewards for mastery of your character's skillsets/basic platforming.

That's also what separates BK/BT from the rest of the "collectathon" gaggle. In those games, you're never tasked with just mindlessly running around to find random shit that has been randomly scattered around (DK64 on the other hand...), instead they are used as rewards for completing certain tasks or for exploring the environment in an intended way (with the environments designed around their placement). In that respect, this is the big similarity it shares with Mario 64.

BK may have been touted as the "Mario 64 Killer" but in actual fact, it's more like a hybrid of Mario, Metroid and Zelda.

Edited by Dcubed