N-Europe

RUMOUR: Nintendo trying to buy back rights for Banjo Kazooie

Massive pinch of salt needed. Very much doubt it myself. But stranger things have happened I suppose. Would be good to see Retro Studios tackle a new Banjo game.

The question is, why would Nintendo be trying to do this? Unless it was for VC, but that's doubtful as they've already been re-released for 360.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-nintendo-attempting-to-negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and

If I were a gaming journalist, I'd report on every far-fetched rumor people sent my way, too. Even if I had to write the article in such a way that if the rumor turned out to be true, I could point to it and say I knew it all along, and if the rumor turned out to be false, I could do the same thing.

Not sure why they'd even want Banjo Kazooie when they have Mario, anyway.

Not sure why they'd even want Banjo Kazooie when they have Mario, anyway.

Because they're much better games?

The most I can see happening is an agreement on a Banjo-Kazooie 3DS game, as it would be great for both Nintendo and Microsoft.

Edited by Cube

If they're better games, it's only because they just took what Nintendo already did in Super Mario 64 and improved on it. :p

Give Nintendo a chance to improve on the concept, and oh look - we got Super Mario Galaxy. Then again, maybe a Banjo Kazooie Galaxy would be good.

I really liked Nuts & Bolts, sure it wasn't as good as the originals but I wasn't expecting it to be. I feel as though it was the Mario Sunshine of the Banjo universe, greatly misunderstood.

Anyway, I really hope this is true. I was fine with Rare being with MS, that's part of the reason I got a 360, and I loved playing Kameo, Banjo and Perfect Dark in HD but what I can't stand is the fact that they're now only working on Kinect games.

So yeah, Nintendo should buy them or MS should let them make non-Kinect titles again!

I thought Nuts n Bolts was a great game but I'd love to see a new Banjo-Kazooie platformer... Not sure that anyone would quite be able to capture the humour/atmosphere of the games as well as Rare though.

I think the rumour is 100% false anyway. Still, a Banjo 3DS game would be cool.

But if Banjo Kazooie is better than Super Mario 64... and Super Mario Galaxy is better than Banjo Kazooie... and Super Mario 64 is better than Super Mario Galaxy... how does that add up? :o

Rock, paper, scissors!

After spending such a huge amount on Rare, I doubt Microsoft would sell even the garbage bins back to Nintendo. Especially after Nintendo were such dicks over the Goldeneye XBLA port.

Perhaps NINTENDO thought to themselves:

'What would really get the hardcore back?'

'Well, ....let's look at our history. With who did we partner and which of those partnerships attracted gamers-gamers?'

'Philips?'

'No, no, no. Think quality software.'

'RARE!! Yes! Let's bring back Donkey Kong Country :D'

All the latest happenings suggest resources are Nintendo's problem, not lack of intellectual properties. If they're struggling to put out Metroid, Zelda and F-Zero, I can't see them wanting an extra property to devote resources to.

If they're better games, it's only because they just took what Nintendo already did in Super Mario 64 and improved on it. :p

That's not true at all, Banjo Kazooie was a game chock full of charm in a completely different league to Mario 64. But then by that logic, any first person shooter is only better than Doom if you consider they took what it had and improved on it.

They should buy the IP, give Perfect Dark to Retro, get Good Feel on to a hand-drawn DKC, and let Monster games work on a new Diddy Kong Racing!

Oh God...if you keep talking like that, I won't be able to hide my throbbing...enthusiasm.

Perfect Dark to Retro just seems so right. It will never ever happen. Never. Ever. But, fuck, it would be so good.

On the one hand, I miss RARE. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are two of my all-time favourites, I have so many amazing memories, it was a happy time in my life. At the same time, they've changed so much. They're not the same company any more, and having RARE back on board is just a dream, a yearning to go back to those glorious days in the past. It's unachievable, and even if it were, it just wouldn't be the same.

Perhaps NINTENDO thought to themselves:

'What would really get the hardcore back?'

'Well, ....let's look at our history. With who did we partner and which of those partnerships attracted gamers-gamers?'

'Philips?'

'No, no, no. Think quality software.'

'RETRO STUDIOS!! Yes! Let's bring back Donkey Kong Country :D'

Fix'd ;)

As for the news rumour itself, I never got to play the Banjo games, so I don't have any particular feelings on the series. I'd rather see them reacquiring Rare and help them recover their identity.

Nintendo already have the platform segment covered with their own, rather splendid IP's. If they want a platformer that's somewhat different, they should get Conker's Bad Fur Day. But frankly, I'd rather see them buy Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini or Blast Corps.

Banjo kazooie, the most over rated game franchise ever!

No, second. Behind gta.

No, scrap that. Third. Behind halo and gta.

Banjo kazooie is the third most over rated game franchise ever!

Interesting, I've never actually found a person who had a bad thing to say about BK.