NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

14 Killed in Dark Knight Rises Cinema Shooting

Some sources like the paper here in Dublin are saying that he was referring to himself as The Joker. Do we know if this is true?

I don't know why he would dye his hair red if he wanted to be the joker.

Some sources like the paper here in Dublin are saying that he was referring to himself as The Joker. Do we know if this is true?

I don't know why he would dye his hair red if he wanted to be the joker.

See depends where you read they vary from the likes of "he has clearly modelled himself on the Joker" to simply "he has dyed his hair like the joker"

See depends where you read they vary from the likes of "he has clearly modelled himself on the Joker" to simply "he has dyed his hair like the joker"

I dont see it, if he was going to model himself on the Joker you'd think he'd get the hair colour correct.

At times I am obsessed with video games but I don't see myself losing touch with reality...

The joker link could be just a media spin, trying to find a link so something can be criticised. I haven't read any articles though so there may be truth in it.

This is terrible news though, just another reminder that there is some sick people out there.

20120724__christian_bale_swedish_medical_aurora_theater_shooting~p1.jpg

Christian Bale, star of the Batman films, met at the Medical Center of Aurora on Tuesday afternoon with seven patients injured in the mass shooting that occurred during a midnight showing of his new film.

Bill Voloch, interim president of Medical Center of Aurora, said Bale spent about 2½ hours at the hospital, where he met with five people still being treated for their injuries. Two others came from Swedish Medical Center to meet Bale, who stars at Batman in "The Dark Knight Rises.

"The patients were really happy to meet Bale," Voloch said. "They are obviously big fans of his movies. They wanted to see Batman and were really pleased to see Bale."

Bale and his wife, Sibi Blazic, also met with a number of doctors, Aurora police officers and emergency medicial technicians who were first reponders when James Eagan Holmes allegedly killed 12 people and injured 58 others at Century Aurora 16 theater early Friday morning. Bale spent about 10 minutes with each person.

"It was good for the patients," Voloch said. "We hope it was therapeutic for them, and all the staff really appreciated him coming."

Bale also spent some time with Gov. John Hickenlooper.

The Medical Center of Aurora received 18 patients from the movie theatre shooting and seven were admitted. Four patients went to Swedish Medical Center.

Voloch said Bale notified that he wanted to visit the injured, but asked that media not be notified. "He just wanted to meet with victims and police."

Among the people Bale visited with was Carey Rottman, of Denver. Friends quickly tweeted out a photo of their visit.

Officials from Warner Bros. Pictures, maker of Bale's most recent film, said Bale came to Aurora on his own.

"Mr. Bale is there as himself, not representing Warner Brothers," said an assistant for Susan Fleishman, executive vice president for Warner Brothers corporate communications.

Source

Good Guy Bale!

20120724__christian_bale_swedish_medical_aurora_theater_shooting~p1.jpg

Source

Good Guy Bale!

Good guy indeed! Very nice of him. And nice that he didn't want press noticed so it couldn't be seen as a publicity stunt.

This makes up for that rant he was recorded doing in the Terminator: Salvation set! :p

That rant was fully justified.

This makes up for the fact he was actually in Terminator Salvation.

You mean the fact that he played John Connor like he was playing Batman? (using same voice) Ha.

He wrecked Terminator Salvation in many ways though...although some of the crack pot ideas that the first script had are equally as dumb in my mind.

That film takes about 73 seconds to become one of the worst things every to be projected onto a screen. Even if Bale had nailed it, it would have been shite.

This just baffles me;

The number of people seeking to buy guns in Colorado has soared since last week's mass shooting in the US state's town of Aurora, say law officials.

In the three days after the shooting, applications for the background checks needed to buy a gun legally were up 43% on the previous week.

The shooting at a cinema showing the new Batman movie left 12 people dead and 58 injured - 20 remain in hospital.

The suspected gunman appeared in court for the first time on Monday.

James Holmes, 24, is accused of throwing two canisters of gas into a busy midnight showing of the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, before firing at random into the crowd.

Prosecutors say Mr Holmes had legally bought his weapons and the thousands of rounds of ammunition he had stockpiled in his apartment, which he had booby-trapped with explosives.

Law fears

According to data released by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations, 880 people applied for the state-approved background checks on Friday, 13 July, days before the shooting.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

When it happens in your backyard, people start reassessing, 'Hey, I go to the movies'”

Jake Meyers

Gun shop employee

On Friday, 29 July, the day following the shooting, the number was 1,216, and on the Saturday, 1,243. In total, 2,887 people were approved to buy a gun over the weekend, an increase of 43.5% on the weekend before, said the bureau.

The bureau's figures cannot confirm how many people then bought a firearm, but gun shop owners also reported a rise in sales.

Dick Rutan, owner of Gunners Den in the Colorado town of Arvada, said sales were "off the hook".

"What they're saying is, 'they want to have a chance'," he told the Denver Post. "They want to have the ability to protect themselves and their families if they are in a situation like what happened in the movie theatre."

An employee at Mr Baker's shop, Jake Meyers, said there had been up to 20 people waiting outside when he arrived at work on the day after the shooting.

"A lot of it is people saying, 'I didn't think I needed a gun, but now I do'," the Denver Post quoted him as saying. "When it happens in your backyard, people start reassessing, 'Hey, I go to the movies'."

Brandon Baker, who owns the Rocky Mountain Guns & Ammo in the town of Park, only 15 miles (24km) from Aurora said his sales had gone up, as had requests for firearms training.

The Associated Press news agency said sales were also up in other states, including Florida, which recorded a 14% rise from the previous week, and Oregon, where July's sales were up by 11% over June. Background checks in the days after the shooting were up 10% in Florida compared with the same period last month.

Election issue

Law officials said gun sales have in the past had risen after significant events, including the election of President Barack Obama and the shooting in Arizona which killed six people and injured Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in January 2011.

This is often attributed to fears that a mass killing could prompt the government to reconsider the Second Amendment to the US constitution, which gives people the right to bear arms.

A small group of Democratic lawmakers in Washington renewed calls on Tuesday to ban high-capacity gun magazines. But there is little expectation that gun control will be addressed by politicians in the run-up to November's presidential election.

Mr Holmes is due to be charged next week. The judge in his case has ruled that cameras will not be allowed into the hearing. It follows a requests to the media by some of the victims' family members that they avoid using the suspect's name and his photos.

On Monday, he appeared dazed in court, prompting speculation about his mental state.

Twenty of the people he wounded remained in hospital on Tuesday, including six in critical condition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18980974

I mean really this is the solution? I know there is the argument that such individuals will just carry out these crimes via other methods but the fact that guns are so freely available doesn't help the cause. My Canadian girlfriend used to live with an American who once "it must suck not having the right to bare arms" to which she replied "it must suck to need to". It's odd how two very similar countries have such different stances. Whilst now isn't the best time to be using that comparison with the recent shooting in toronto. (which sadly a woman survived who was then shot in the Batman Shootings http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/20/batman-shooting-victim-just-missed-eaton-centre-gunfire) BUT it is a comparison Michael Moore (think what you will of him) made in comparing Detroit to Toronto.

I think it says a lot about the USA when they feel the solution is to carry a gun of their own rather than educate and consider changes of law.

Edited by flameboy

The argument that criminals will acquire guns whether they're legal or not is insane. First of all we, can't just make laws depending on whether people will break them - that defeats the entire point of laws. Second of all, all these shootings aren't carried out by criminals, they're carried out by regular people like you and me. Many of these shootings wouldn't happen if weapons of this caliber weren't so easily acquired by the average citizen. Another ridiculous argument is that regular citizens being able to defend themselves will put a stop to situations like these; as if arming the entire cinema would do anything but risk increasing the amount of casualties.

Does anyone else find Warner Bros. "Nothing to do with us!" comment a bit weird?

Is everyone going to be bringing weapons into cinemas now? Is it legal to conceal a weapon on your person and just walk around with it?

Is everyone going to be bringing weapons into cinemas now? Is it legal to conceal a weapon on your person and just walk around with it?

From Wikipedia

While there is no federal law specifically addressing the issuance of concealed carry permits, 49 states have passed laws allowing citizens to carry certain concealed firearms in public, either without a permit or after obtaining a permit from local government and/or law enforcement.

I think the majority of states do require that permit for the right to carry concealed weapons...

I still say it's education that needs to be reformed in this respect and educate youngsters as to the perils of carrying firearms and why it's not acceptable to conduct any of these actions etc....and about how to use guns responsibly and about the considerations that would need to be made before you decide to bare arms once you are old enough. If you are going to carry a gun you have to be prepared where that may lead you and the consequences that could bring.

I don't think any of this will happen America as a whole is a divided nation with everyone far too selfish and out to meet their own end. You only have to look at the opposition and widespread discount the healthcare reforms have brought about.

What do people think of this picture that has been circulating around?

AzQOOUECQAEkNJy.jpg:large

I was ready to call paranoia on it until I saw the nose.

Plastic surgery, maybe? How old is the college photo?

I was ready to call paranoia on it until I saw the nose.

Plastic surgery, maybe? How old is the college photo?

Look in the mirror and smile.

Then, don't smile. Look at your nose both times.

It's the same guy. Anybody can take two photos and look completely different in both of them. Look at his chin in both photos. Look at his hairline. Look at the basic shape of his face. It's the same guy.

The eyes look wider, yes. Probably a lot of reasons for it. Lack of sleep. Paranoia. Something to do with killing 12 people mercilessly, perhaps.

I would say it's the same person too. Years have passed, different facial expression. He still looks like the same guy.

I'm not one that cares for making knee-jerk reactions & shouting "conspiracy" anytime something suspicious appears but these events are extremely suspicious.

Right before the incident happened, the audience were shown a trailer of the movie "Gangster Squad" which ends with a big shooting in a movie theater.

gangster-e1343057332979.jpg

In the trailer, the gangsters approach the front of the theater & shoot randomly at the audience. Weird that the audience saw this on screen before it actually happened, fiction turned into reality.

The following picture was released in 1986 which features a crazed man with red hair killing 3 people in a movie theater before explaining that it was inspired by Batman.

r620-7287416e80922620fccb76fdf86fa724-e1343057857376.jpg

This music video by Lil' Wayne was also released just a few days before the actual shooting. In this, you can see 12 skeletons in a movie theater.

lilwayne-e1343056863736.jpg

Of course this proves nothing but it is interesting coincidence. All information is just what I've found out, I guess I'm not actually 100% certain it's all true but it freaks me out a little.

Look in the mirror and smile.

Then, don't smile. Look at your nose both times.

The difference doesn't look as substantial as with this guy. But if the first photo was taken years ago, then it's perfectly reasonable.

The other "differences" are pushing it.

The difference doesn't look as substantial as with this guy. But if the first photo was taken years ago, then it's perfectly reasonable.

The other "differences" are pushing it.

It'll differ from person to person, but there's no denying that the nostrils look more flared in the first picture than in the second. If he was pulling the same expression twice, then it would be more suspicious.

@Frank, now, did that video of Gangster Squad actually get shown? I know that there is a particular scene in the trailer that they have now cut after these events, but was it actually shown in the cinema?

If you look really hard enough, you can find coincidences in everything. Like the Lil Wayne video, it is creepy that there are 12 skeletons, but the gunman's target was originally reported as 14, and it seemed like he was shooting at random, rather than specifically aiming at 12 to mimic the video.

I do "enjoy" looking at different theories that surround specific events such as this, but at the same time, I do think as people that we look for things that sometimes just aren't there. Why does somebody walk into a cinema or a school and decide to kill people at random? Is it because this is a twisted way for them to receive their fame?