NEurope
Emma

Holidays 2012

Shining+Sun.jpg

I'm going to Berlin then Barcelona on the 26th July for 10 days. I've never been to either place before so it would be great if you could give me and @Dan Dare some tips of where to go/avoid.

We're staying here in Berlin and here in Barcelona.

Also, post your holidays on here too!

Shining+Sun.jpg

I'm going to Berlin then Barcelona on the 26th July for 10 days. I've never been to either place before so it would be great if you could give me and @Dan Dare some tips of where to go/avoid.

We're staying here in Berlin and here in Barcelona.

Also, post your holidays on here too!

I just went to Barcelona a month ago with my girlfriend, we loved it.

Places I recommend:

Sagrada de Familia (obvious one)

sagrada-familia.jpg

Las Ramblas - Hard to miss, the main touristy shopping street. Watch yer' wallets.

Las%20Ramblas.jpg

Barcelona Zoo - loved this, it's really pretty

Barcelona-Zoo-0.jpg

Park Guell - It's up on a hill, breathtaking view and reall nice buildings. Touch that lizard...

Barcelona_Michael_Colwell_238251-590x391.jpg

Castell de Montjuic - very high up, I recommend getting the monorail up there for breathtaking views

21647096.jpg

Also really recommend the aquarium (right by the water where a lot of restaurants area).

It's a good idea to get a day pass on the CityTour bus to help get to some other places because Barcelona is pretty big.

But really my best recommendation is get the Barcelona Card (we got the 5 day). Unlimited underground travel (the underground is better than London's and really useful for getting around) and also inclusive travel on the train from the airport to the town centre. You also get discounts on entry to places such as the zoo so it's more than worth it.

Avoid around the football stadium at night on non-match days. Unless you're looking for a 40 year old prostitute.

Personally, haven't got any holiday plans for the summer due to working at the Olympics but hoping to go to Chicago later this year, a few people I know are moving out there so I'll get free accommodation!

I'm heading off to Munich and Berlin for Oktoberfest in..well October! Munich will be a blur and Berlin will be more for sightseeing which I'm looking forward to.

Two weeks before that I'm heading to Kefalonia for a relaxing holiday with the girlfriend (sorry Ashley!).

I loved Las Ramblas, shame I hated the rest of it! Found it far too busy.

This year I've been to Prague, taken a short trip to Stockholm, New York and will be heading to France for my birthday in September. Two are with work, but I've got the bug for going abroad now.

I'm going to Blizzcon next year so will make that a holiday and thinking of taking a trip to Thailand too. Depending on money.

Have a great time together! :D

I'm going to Dallas, TX at the end of August to see my boyfriend! Woop! Haven't been abroad since summer 2010. I get to travel ALL BY MYSELF! I'm a grown-up now! I like airports, so I'm looking forward to the travel just as much as arriving there. To 40°C weather, probably (it's 34°C right now, night-time...). Has anyone ever been to Dallas?

I've already had most of my holiday this year. Had a friend come to visit and we did a San Francisco - LA - Las Vegas roadtrip. Then I went to Iceland for a friends wedding, both were a lot of fun. If I can I'd like to go to Japan for a few weeks later in the year but I always say that - I doubt it will happen.

I've got Newquay coming up on the 3rd August for 3 days, it's a friend's stag doo though, so hardly a relaxing time, and given the weather the past 2 months, not expecting any glorious sunshine.

then on 16th August i'm off to Lanzarote, First time I've been anywhere in Europe for a beach holiday, Normally only Ski in Europe, and tend to go to Mauritius for all my sunshine getaways due to having family over there (free accommodation w00t)

If I can I'd like to go to Japan for a few weeks later in the year but I always say that - I doubt it will happen.

I always say that. And with Italy and Paris.

Looking like I won't go away this year. Oh well, always 2013 ::shrug:

But really my best recommendation is get the Barcelona Card (we got the 5 day). Unlimited underground travel (the underground is better than London's and really useful for getting around) and also inclusive travel on the train from the airport to the town centre. You also get discounts on entry to places such as the zoo so it's more than worth it.

This is very helpful. I didn't know the bit about getting from the airport using the card, so thank you! What's the Zoo like? are the animals in big enclosures?

I'm moving to Canada for year in November. No one said holidays have to be over in 2 weeks.

I like airports.

I also like airports. Something about a place that connects people and sends them to all corners of the globe. I also have an almost kinky fascination with Planes.

I don't mind airports when there's something to do, particularly as I usually travel alone.

Frankfurt Hahn airport is not a place you want to spend four hours in, that I can tell you!

Tokyo Narita's was pretty good as there were a lot of things to keep me busy.

Last holiday I went on was Cornwall with friends before I started uni. I did got to Sweden in June but that was just to visit family. Although I did experience a Bastun(Bastu?) on the sea (basically you go swimming in the sea and then walk up the steps straight into the sauna). It was very refreshing. I recommend anyone to try it if they are ever in Scandinavia. Although you may want to steer clear of the Finns though. Those weirdos like to beat each other with branches for some strange reason.

I also like airports, I imagine if I visited them regularly I'd find them irritating, but they fascinate me.

Come again?

Excellent people-watching! If you're at the airport, it means that you're heading somewhere different, or returning from somewhere...good connotations! Mind you, I only like modern airports with nice architecture and good shops...Heathrow and Hong Kong International are my favourites so far.

Hello Emma,

I love Berlin. Amazing city! It's huge and the people are friendly and open-minded. There's lots to see and do in Berlin. When I was there, I was most interested in everything that has to do with the Berlin wall and Germany's history. Do you like music and nightlife? I could recommend some very good bars/clubs..