NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dwarf

OUYA

I hadn't heard about this until today, what do you guys think? Public funding sits at $4 million right now which is pretty impressive.

OUYA is an Android OS games console that is intended to connect to your TV set. The OUYA team says that they want to give independent games developers, who would be otherwise confined to small screens like your smartphone or a browser window on your computer, access to the biggest screen in the house. Julie Uhrman, founder of OUYA, says that getting games onto consoles is nearly impossible for small or independent developers and OUYA is the answer for them to get their games on big screens in the living room.

Brian Fargo of inXile Entertainment is enthused by the concept calling the OUYA “Inexpensive, open and with a fantastic controller. This has the potential to be the game developer’s console. It's about time!” inXile do have games that make it to the consoles but only the most popular and established games get to that stage. The Kickstarter project page declares “It's time to upend console gaming. It's time we brought back innovation, experimentation, and creativity to the big screen. Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!”

It will of course be limited in many fields and it certainly won't be an alternative to the 'big 3' consoles, at least not for the forum users here, but it does have the potential to go somewhere.

I certainly think it has potential and a future. I saw this yesterday when it went to $2.6million so it's jumped quite some way. I don't see them ever usurping traditional cutting edge console gaming (whatever form that may take in the future) but I certainly see them offering something very different and interesting. Get cloud saves sorted so I can play the same games across my console and my phone/tablet and then it's certainly going to be a winner.

I think the other thing is the price point at just $99 its at a more disposable price point which suits the revision business model (hell apple sell for a lot more using this ethos) so the fast changing nature tablets and constant updating could happen, whilst still maintaining an element of control that is missing on a larger scale across Android devices.

So seems the wave of hate has now hit...with both Eurogamer and theverge posting stories doubting this will ever see release.

"Hate" implies an irrational response when I'd say the opposite is true. OUYA more than warrants some healthy scepticism.

"Hate" implies an irrational response when I'd say the opposite is true. OUYA more than warrants some healthy scepticism.

I mean hate as in the level of passion people are now putting down OUYA with. People are definitely in the category of haters right now. I don't feel hate totally implies it has to be irrational!

The fact that something like this even has a chance of existing (with some actual major devs pledging support like Mojang) really says a lot about today's marketplace.

The Wii U really is coming just in time (if not a tad late). People are craving new consoles and the industry has become so rote and boring (outside of handhelds) that even the mighty COD is starting to waver now.

The fact that something like this even has a chance of existing (with some actual major devs pledging support like Mojang) really says a lot about today's marketplace.

The Wii U really is coming just in time (if not a tad late). People are craving new consoles and the industry has become so rote and boring (outside of handhelds) that even the mighty COD is starting to waver now.

I'm not craving a new console at all! PS3 got a lot of good games coming out this year and into next.

I mean hate as in the level of passion people are now putting down OUYA with. People are definitely in the category of haters right now. I don't feel hate totally implies it has to be irrational!

What's wrong with putting down something because of blatant lies, false hopes and deliberately misleading information, all designed to trick people to give them money?

On top of that, The Android gaming market isn't exactly brilliant at the moment. Take away the primary (and for 99% of games, the only) control method...and you're not left with much at all.

What's wrong with putting down something because of blatant lies, false hopes and deliberately misleading information, all designed to trick people to give them money?

On top of that, The Android gaming market isn't exactly brilliant at the moment. Take away the primary (and for 99% of games, the only) control method...and you're not left with much at all.

Where exactly did I say there was anything wrong with it?

Sorry, I thought you were complaining about the amount of hate it's getting.

Sorry, I thought you were complaining about the amount of hate it's getting.

Nah just saying that the wave of hate was here. It was almost inevitable that this would happen, ironic that it happened after they smashed records whereas in the short time it was up and running and hadn't reached its goal there was more love for it in articles. People sure do like to kick out at "success stories" (yes it's not technically a success but you know what I mean)

Anyway they've come out and tried to put their views and opinions across more;

http://www.destructoid.com/ouya-interview-julie-uhrman-tackles-consoles-critics-231474.phtml

I think this console might be a great idea.

The problem is, the customers seem to have unrealistic expectations regarding the capabilities of the hardware. Just look at the official vote for which games and franchises they want to see on it. Top place was Minecraft, which the device is capable of doing. Second place, Skyrim, just can't be done.

Great idea, but the lack of research done by those hyping it will probably make it a massive disappointment.

I think this console might be a great idea.

The problem is, the customers seem to have unrealistic expectations regarding the capabilities of the hardware. Just look at the official vote for which games and franchises they want to see on it. Top place was Minecraft, which the device is capable of doing. Second place, Skyrim, just can't be done.

Great idea, but the lack of research done by those hyping it will probably make it a massive disappointment.

Unrealistically fuelled by such polls....why are OUYA even opening up such polls with these games on them. I mean I guess technically they could turn it into a streaming box for such things, also onlive could work through it they already have an android app that supports their controller.

Unrealistically fuelled by such polls....why are OUYA even opening up such polls with these games on them. I mean I guess technically they could turn it into a streaming box for such things, also onlive could work through it they already have an android app that supports their controller.

But then you may as well just get the Onlive Console.

But then you may as well just get the Onlive Console.

touche....however the more systems onlive can get their service running on the more money they can potentially get that's why intergrating into TVs is such a good thing.

Love it when a semi prediction comes true :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-27-onlive-signs-deal-with-ouya

Cloud gaming service OnLive has signed a deal with the Android console Ouya to offer hundreds of games from more than 80 publishers for play on demand at launch.

You'll be able to play the games available at home on Ouya and continue elsewhere on PCs, Macs, tablets and phones. Instant demos will be available for nearly every game in the OnLive library of games. These demos offer 30 minutes of play for free.

OnLive UK boss Bruce Grove said: "When OnLive first heard about Ouya, we were excited to see console gaming becoming more available and open. Like Ouya, we came to gaming with a new vision for making top-quality gaming accessible to more people, and we continue to look for ways to expand on that vision.

"Ouya is rethinking the console business, making waves by using standard technology to make gaming for your living room accessible, affordable and more innovative than ever. In OnLive's case, we pioneered a groundbreaking, cloud-based system that instantly delivers games to any device on demand."

Ouya, due out March next year, launched a Kickstarter drive last month, asking for $950,000. With 12 days to go, it's currently on $5,548,050 pledged from 43,405 backers.

Last week Ouya announced its first exclusive game, Human Element, from Robert Bowling's studio Robotoki.

I can hook Ps3 controller to a a galaxy s2 and then hook it to my tv and play games...

Edited by James

If I was to buy a new home console system, this would be it. I am very intrigued indeed and will wait and see how the final product turns out. I'm especially looking forward to see if the whole experience will be the same for Europeans and others as well since it's a North American product and I'm a bit hesitant to believe that we will get the same amount of services here that are apparently on offer in the US. But definitely interested in this thing.

Edited by cvl

I'd be surprised if it broke even (not including all the public money they got for free, that'll be their main profit) or lasts six months.

I don't know much about the current smartphone market since I'm not using smartphones anymore (or at least for the time being), but isn't OUYA using the same concept as seen on the Android Market; try for free, pay if you like? So maybe they've analysed the market and estimated that there will be enough users who're willing to pay for full games, or OUYA will get their main income by selling hardware only, or maybe they're just hoping it'll become a success one way or the other. I don't know. Was just curious why you think it'll be doomed even before it has taken off. Looks like they have lots of support from gamers and developers alike.

Sign in to follow this