NEurope
Retro_Link

Seems James Cameron is going all Lord of the Rings...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/three-avatar-sequels-to-film-simultaneously

Three Avatar Sequels to Film Simultaneously

Weaver claims Avatar 2-4 to shoot all at once.

Director James Cameron will reportedly shoot three sequels to his blockbuster Avatar simultaneously.

Showbiz 411 chatted with Avatar actress Sigourney Weaver, who said that production on Avatar 2, Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 begins this fall. Weaver will first shoot her new TV series Political Animals and then appears in a play before she returns to Pandora.

Weaver's not sure how long she will be asked to work on the three-film multi-shoot. "I just show up,” she said.

4 films seems excessive... can't imagine what they must be planning storywise to make that!

I think just a sequel would have been nice; but atleast it's bucking the Trilogy trend! :p

Strange this news comes from Sigourney Weaver though, given her character in the first film!

Maybe she'll play a tree! :p

Oh god no! Not again!

It was bad enough and stupid enough the first time round, let's not have a repeat please! Especially since Avatar is an awesome movie!

Not really sure what to think of this. I wouldn't have minded a sequel so much but it all depends on what the sequels are about. I would be more interested in seeing more of Pandora than following Jakesulley's story (sounds bad but yeah, I'd love to see more Pandora!)

I think they've already said we're gonna be seeing the ocean/underwater side of Pandora in the sequels, so that's cool.

But I wonder what the 'evil' is going to be for the prequels... they've already driven man away... will man come back (for one or more of the films), will they face a villianous race of Na'vi?... or what?

Will Avatar 2/3/4 be one long story... I think it will be, but tbh I think I'd rather each film were it's own story, so that way we get more varied and contained experiences of Pandora, where each film can focus on its own different things.

It was bad enough and stupid enough the first time round, let's not have a repeat please!

But Alien Resurrection was enjoyable...

Yeah but it was stupid and dumb. It felt like the movie itself was made for the LOLZ so I liked it. Alien 3 was just horrible with the spinning cameras and the daft-looking Xenomorphs though, couldn't watch that ever again!

Coolness, she can't go blind! Then she can never say "I see you" to Jakesully! :p

Coolness, she can't go blind! Then she can never say "I see you" to Jakesully! :p

E

X

A

C

T

L

Y

E

X

A

C

T

L

Y

But that was one of the best scenes of the movie! :(

But that was one of the best scenes of the movie! :(

I agree. (good song as well) but...

"I can't see you"

Already tragic, beautiful.

I think this is a pointless exercise and might spell the end for the once glorious and glittering career of Cameron. The only reason i saw the first one at the time was because of 3D and nothing else (storyline was not important) i know some people watched it four times and over (no doubt help adding to its worldwide gross). 3D is a joke know so i won't even bother seeing Part 2 let alone all of them..lol. If we look at Jurassic Park, the first one was a massive hit and sadly Spielberg got greedy and decided to cash in by making three more which were not as good as the first (he is trying to rectify this by making the 4th for next year or so) The audiences will vote on their feet and the films will bomb!

But I wonder what the 'evil' is going to be for the prequels... they've already driven man away... will man come back (for one or more of the films), will they face a villianous race of Na'vi?... or what?

I assume you mean sequels :wink:

As for what the "evil" will be... I'm gonna say Beneth Planet of the Apes style Mole People :heh:

Anyway I find it odd that he is gonna try make 3 more films and make them back-to-back

I expected an Avatar 2 & 3 but not a 4

I wonder if maybe Avatar 1 will be to the overall franchise what "The Hobbit" was to "The Lord of the Rings"

As for Ripley Weaver my guess is she'll be a ghost or tree spirit or something naff.

GO TO YOUR ROOM AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Also, I can't see what they are going to do with this. There will probably be some retconning and a MacGuffin that they magically need to save the dying planet etc. etc.

Edited by Iun