NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

Game of Thrones, Book or TV?

Ok a bit of a dilemma here for me (first world problems etc.). I watched Game of Thrones, and then read the book. I really enjoyed the show. I also enjoyed the book, but all the while I was thinking about the TV characters and how it was portrayed there. I've just ordered the rest of the books, and am yet to see season 2. Now what I'm wondering is whether I should read A Clash of Kings first or watch season 2 first?

Any recommendations? (And reasons for them.)

I think I'd probably prefer the TV show more than the book. However, all of the books will soon be at my door, whereas I don't have the series downloaded (my internet is so slow it would take forever), and I would also have to wait months/years for the next seasons whereas I could read the books straight away.

Also feel free to discuss the merits of watching/reading TV/films/books first etc., not specifically related to A Song of Ice and Fire.

I started reading the books before watching the first season. I didn't go further when watching until I'd gotten a significant distance in the book first. That way the show wouldn't spoil anything for me.

But I'm glad I have some form of visual reference when imagining the characters (now reading the second book, and have no intention as of yet to watch the second season), because there's only so many old men with hooked noses you can stand before they all merge into one. Some do have hair though, so that helps a little.

At the moment, I've stopped watching the series because I want to read the books first. I watched about three-quarters of season one and stopped but I really loved the TV show. However, I want to read the books more. I also want to play the game as well...

If I were you, I'd read the books first and then watch the show.

Read the books first. The TV series is really good but stuff is inevitably missed out and you can't hear what the characters are thinking. Plus in seasons 2, a hell of a lot of stuff is changed in the TV series so I'd rather you got the genuine story from George R R Martin and then saw the adaptation afterwards. His writing is so good that it's definitely worth reading the books first.

I'd probably either watch season 2 of the TV show and then read the second book, and then wait for seasons 3 and 4 of the TV show before reading the third book, and so on - or read all of the books now and enjoy the TV show when there are new episodes.

Sounds like you're going to end up reading books 3-5 before the TV show covers them anyway, so I'd probably just read the books first.

But I'm glad I have some form of visual reference when imagining the characters (now reading the second book, and have no intention as of yet to watch the second season), because there's only so many old men with hooked noses you can stand before they all merge into one. Some do have hair though, so that helps a little.

I've only watched the TV show, and I still can't tell some of the characters apart. There are so many minor characters that all blur together. :sad:

I've only watched the TV show, and I still can't tell some of the characters apart. There are so many minor characters that all blur together. :sad:

That's another good reason for reading the books, since you know the names pretty much off by heart by the time you watch the series.

I don't know about that. There's just too many names mentioned in the books. And they're all described in pretty much the same way.

Yeah but in books names are repeated again and again because you can't recognise characters by seeing them.

It's probably just me being weird and geeky, but sometimes when reading stories with too many character for me to remember them all, I make a cast list of my own and note down the most important things about the characters. :heh:

I just associate a character with another one (or a person) whose appearance I do know. Like a known actor playing another role.

Wanted to post the Game of Thrones trailer, searched for its thread, came across this one, and had a laugh. Oh how things have changed, or caught up rather.

So how did @Animal get on, did you manage to suspend your TV watching to read all the books? ;)

5 years ago when people were recommending books, they probably thought there'd have been a new one by now!

Sign in to follow this