NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Freakyforms Deluxe

BKHmy.jpg

First game was a cult classic, now Freakyforms is back as a full retail title!

It features an RPG mode, with dungeons to explore and battles against other formees! :laughing:

4DtoM.jpg

A2TvY.jpg

4oFmh.jpg

Shame it's not online though, that would've been the icing on the cake. :D

Shame there was no word on transferring your Freakyforms data across from the original version.

Hoping it gets a budget retail price.

Online woulda been good! Also not sure how I'll feel about this as a full-retail title. Does it have enough content? What will be the price? Both have to justify each other, and I'm not sure. Tbh I really need to 'finish' FreakyForms too, but my gaming catalogue just grows and grows whilst my gaming time shrinks :(

Nice to see it go retail! Shame it (seemingly) makes my original version redundant (Hi Tetris Party/Tetris Party Deluxe!)

I wonder if this'll get a dual retail/download release?

Shame there was no word on transferring your Freakyforms data across from the original version.
It would be nice if it could import Formees directly from the eShop version, yeah.

It's probably going to be a case of having to use QR codes though.

I wonder if this'll get a dual retail/download release?
Doesn't look like it will. Nintendo seem determined on kicking off that service with NSMB2.

I'll be waiting to hear some hands-on before I buy this; though I gotta say at £22 it's currently quite tempting...

Doesn't look like it will. Nintendo seem determined on kicking off that service with NSMB2.

Doesnt mean that it can't happen down the line!

Shame it's not online though, that would've been the icing on the cake. :D

This should be the official NINTENDO catchphrase!

I vote for putting it under the head banner on the main page :D

With any luck I should have this by tomorrow. :hehe:

Here's the review from Nintendo Life:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/freakyforms_deluxe_your_creations_alive

7/10 from them.

Very similar to the eShop game by the sounds of it. The battle system seems a bit disappointing too, but I'm sure it will still be fun for anyone that enjoyed the first game. :)

Will post my thoughts once I get my copy anyway.

: peace:

Started playing this today (decided to wait for my XL), first impressions are not good. :nono:

It's waaaaaay too similar to the eShop game, in fact it starts out pretty much identical! :o You have to go through the entire tutorial/limited parts phase. It makes no attempt whatsoever to streamline things for people that played the original. icon13.gif

Once I finally got the opportunity to enter a dungeon and check out the new "RPG" elements, things improved a bit. The battle sequences (despite being automated) are pretty entertaining, and you can collect power ups to enhance various stats, as well as special abilities that you can attach to your formees. Obviously nothing too deep, but it's a nice addition.

Not sure if it's is really enough to justify the move to retail though, will have to spend a bit more time with it. But yeah, if you've already played the eShop Freaky Forms, I don't recommend getting this version too. It doesn't appear to add anywhere near enough new content to justify the switch to a full retail title, at least not yet anyway. :hmm:

Hopefully things improve, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. :blank:

BTW, there's an update for the eShop version out now. It allows you to trade Formes with the retail game.

I never bought the e-Shop version so i'm going into this fresh. My copy arrived today, haven't a clue when i'll get to it though. :(

I never bought the e-Shop version so i'm going into this fresh. My copy arrived today, haven't a clue when i'll get to it though. :(
You're in a much better position to enjoy this then, I reckon.

Will be like the Super Pokémon Rumble thing, where you didn't really get into it due to having played through the WiiWare version, but I, did because I only played the demo on Wii.

If I'd been going into this game without having played the original Freakyforms I'd be loving it, it's definitely the definitive version. :)

Anyway, I played a bit more last night, creating formees is as much fun as ever, but I still can't believe how little has been added to the overall game. ::shrug:

The dungeon/"RPG" aspect is pretty cool, but there needed to be more than that in my opinion.

As for the battles, I love the 8-Bit music and the humorous text that describes what's going on. But the random nature of them can be a bit frustrating, especially seeing as you get kicked out of the stage and lose all your progress once you get killed. :angry:

Apparently adding more parts to a formee changes/improves its abilities in battle, so I made one with loads of arms and legs, and it definitely did fight better. But you still feel totally out of control during the actual fight, you just gotta watch and hope that your formee wins. ::shrug:

Thanks for your impressions @RedShell, recently was getting back into my FF, shame to hear this hasn't added much. Maybe I'll pick it up from a bargain bin in a year or so, assuming it gets a decent enough run to end up there!

Thanks for your impressions RedShell, recently was getting back into my FF, shame to hear this hasn't added much. Maybe I'll pick it up from a bargain bin in a year or so, assuming it gets a decent enough run to end up there!
No problem. :)

My impression of the game has changed slightly since then, having spent more time with it. Once you get past the tutorial phase it becomes much easier to enjoy, but the dungeons remain infuriating! :mad: I've completed two of them at the MAX level so far (Meadow and City), but were it not for the automatic battle system I would easily have them all completed by now. It's so annoying when you lose, because you basically have no control over what's going on, it's almost 100% luck! :o

The worst part is that when you get killed on the MAX level, the next time you enter that dungeon it reverts to level 2. If you die there (very possible)... it's back to level 1. :shakehead

You basically need your luck to hold for three entire dungeon playthroughs. :blank:

So yeah, that's obviously not good. But at the same time, the game can be incredibly funny (if you've got the right sense of humour for it that is :heh:), there are times when I'd literally burst out laughing.

The first City dungeon I encountered had me in stitches; there are all of these boost pads and ramps around, if you take a Formee with wheels in there... hilarious stuff. icon14.gif

Even just trying to run away from an enemy Formee when you're low on health can be really amusing, as they follow you almost magnetically and at speed, but it's possible to use the environments to get parts of the enemy Formees stuck and left behind. :D

Overall this game is great for those that didn't play the eShop version, and still great for those of us that did, if you can get over the repetition of tutorials, the frustrating battle mechanics and minuscule amount of new content.

I'd sum it up like this:

The Good:

• Can be immensely funny.
  • New parts for Formee creation.
  • Special Actions (these are found in dungeons and once equipped to your Formees give them extra abilities or visual/sound effects).
  • QR codes can now be read directly from the system memory/SD card (so you don't have to use the camera to import your Formees from the original).

The Bad:

• Having to repeat the tutorial phase.
  • Controls can be very glitchy at times.
  • Far too similar to the eShop version.

The Ugly:

• Random aspect of Formee battles.

That last point is basically enough to cut the value of this game in half, it's that bad. There have been times where I've wanted to get on a plane, fly to Japan, track down the developers, and... **** **** ** *** *****!! :woops::laughing:

I hope that if we see another Freakyforms game in the future, they make a lot of changes, fix the "RPG" gameplay and include much more new stuff.

The potential for the franchise (especially on Wii U) is just mind-blowing, if they got it right and made use of online... wow, it could be incredible. :love:

I put a little bit of time into this yesterday, would have been more if not for me suffering massively from hayfever yesterday.

*shakes angry fist at people cutting their lawns*

I created a couple of things. One was some form of walking blob, the other a flying bird type thing with a crown on his head. :D

Does this game have a aim of sorts? Like missions to do or is it just about unlocking and creating new stuff?

Does this game have a aim of sorts? Like missions to do or is it just about unlocking and creating new stuff?
There are quests, if you can call them that :heh: (Poop quest anyone? :laughing:) but yeah, it's mainly just about creating formees, having a laugh watching them come to life, and unlocking new parts/abilities.

Have you found/attempted any dungeons yet? Be interesting to get your feedback on those.

I've now completed all 4 at MAX level (thank God! :hehe:) still got quite a few special abilities left to find though.

Here's a tip for taking on the dungeons (I only started using it on the final one, wish I'd realised it earlier though) if you get killed, just hit the home button and restart. That way the dungeon level won't revert and you'll save a lot of time/sanity. :grin:

And H-o-T, don't forget to read some QR codes too! The more guest Formees you get, the more entertaining the game becomes. :D

A certain amount also unlocks a trophy. ;)

Here are some of mine (from the eShop version) you could scan:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1394613&postcount=28

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1395286&postcount=36

And a fantastic site to get formees made by Japanese players:

http://createup.r.ribbon.to/cgi-bin/createup.cgi

Found a new special action, the best one so far. :D

See it in action for yourself in the vid at the end of this post.

This special action is called "pump". :laughing: The formee in the vid (Fartypants :heh:) was inspired by it, here's the QR code for him:

fgJ3f.jpg

You'll need to find your own pump action though. :hehe:

It's found in the ocean dungeon. ;)

And here's a bonus Mr. T formee:

zf9aB.jpg

Sent that one out via Letter Box, but will post it here too, for those not on my friend list.

He's also an aggressive type formee, but with really high attack. :awesome:

His stats:

HP - 4500

Attack - 920

Defence - 120

Speed - 140

Luck - 26

Exceptional localisation by NOE there; "laid an eggy one". Brilliant. :bowdown:

Oh wow that happened faster than I thought it would!

Seems that this and New Art Academy are getting eShop releases next week alongside NSMB2!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/08/new_art_academy_and_freakyforms_deluxe_confirmed_as_retail_downloads

Unfortunately, they're removing the original Freakyforms - leaving only the Deluxe version to download (if you've already purchased it, you'll be able to redownload it as much as you want though)

Sign in to follow this