NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

'Spasticated' referee disallows legitimate Real Madrid goal in first half, absolutely no one mentions it.

Why don't we talk about this, anyway?

Retired referee Dermot Gallagher on BBC Radio 5 live: "[The decision was] harsh to say the least but in fairness the Real player did Nani no favours whatsoever. At worst Nani catches the underside of his arm, certainly not the ribs as the guy has gone down and shown.

"I can't reiterate enough that he [Nani] is watching the ball over his shoulder, there was no malice in him. At worst it was a yellow for dangerous play, but if I was refereeing that game I cannot se what stretch of the imagination where I would have sent him off for that."

Ah well what is done is done. I'm angry but no need to get banging on about it. Not a red for me and ruined the game regardless of the result. Got the FA cup coming up and lets go and smash the league and break some records in doing so.

So, if feet being high is classed as dangerous, then does this mean any time a player scores an overhead kick they should receive a red card instead?

Let's not start this bollocks. :p

I hate bullshit like that. Football ISN'T "swings and roundabouts" (I hate that saying) and things don't even themselves out.

Proud of how we played. Welbeck gave us a good outlet, defensively we looked tight, Cleverley did his job very well. Only player who could have done more for me is RVP.

Also, one thing I hate about nights like this are the Newcastle, the Leeds and the Liverpool fans on facebook who start mouthing off. I've got a Chelsea fan-friend on facebook who's saying he's "glad" Chelsea finished badly so that they're still in Europe...Uhh.

Oh I know it's not about swings and roundabouts and things don't even themselves out. I'm just saying. Some refs would see that as a red. And he has justified reasons for that, he is following the laws of the game. Other refs may have only given Nani a yellow. It is down to the referee at that moment in time to judge the danger in a challenge, and from his perspective, it was worth a red. In my opinion, it is too. Your view is naturally biased, although many non-United fans will agree with you too! I'm just saying, sometimes it goes the way that benefits your team, sometimes it doesn't.

I bet if Nani wasn't sent off, Madrid fans would complain that the ref was shit for not sending him off for a dangerous challenge.

So, if feet being high is classed as dangerous, then does this mean any time a player scores an overhead kick they should receive a red card instead?

If there's someone nearby and you're endangering them, ofcourse.

If there's nobody near, then never in a million years.

Oh I know it's not about swings and roundabouts and things don't even themselves out. I'm just saying. Some refs would see that as a red. And he has justified reasons for that, he is following the laws of the game. Other refs may have only given Nani a yellow. It is down to the referee at that moment in time to judge the danger in a challenge, and from his perspective, it was worth a red. In my opinion, it is too. Your view is naturally biased, although many non-United fans will agree with you too! I'm just saying, sometimes it goes the way that benefits your team, sometimes it doesn't.

I bet if Nani wasn't sent off, Madrid fans would complain that the ref was shit for not sending him off for a dangerous challenge.

The fact that this is debatable shows that there isn't consistency. We should know whether or not this type of challenge is a red or not, which we don't because, as you say, some refs give it and some don't.

All I want is consistency. If we lose, then I want to lose properly. I'd rather have got beat 2-0 and talked about the performance instead of this bullshit.

If there's someone nearby and you're endangering them, ofcourse.

If there's nobody near, then never in a million years.

You can't seriously believe that, dude. You should know that when you play the game, you go into the zone. You can't seriously be thinking about where the other guy is every single time, especially when you're taking down a ball or about to go for an overhead.

Also, surely if you're doing an overhead in the box, there are going to be defenders nearby (unless you're playing Arsenal, aha) and any one of them can suddenly go running in for the ball. We're talking milliseconds of thinking time here...I can't agree with you on this one.

Oh, and just to be a massive troll, Arsenal are the last English team left in the Champions League :heh:

The fact that this is debatable shows that there isn't consistency. We should know whether or not this type of challenge is a red or not, which we don't because, as you say, some refs give it and some don't.

All I want is consistency. If we lose, then I want to lose properly. I'd rather have got beat 2-0 and talked about the performance instead of this bullshit.

You can't seriously believe that, dude. You should know that when you play the game, you go into the zone. You can't seriously be thinking about where the other guy is every single time, especially when you're taking down a ball or about to go for an overhead.

Also, surely if you're doing an overhead in the box, there are going to be defenders nearby (unless you're playing Arsenal, aha) and any one of them can suddenly go running in for the ball. We're talking milliseconds of thinking time here...I can't agree with you on this one.

There was absolutely no intent from Nani, i think it's clear everyone agrees on that one. But it's still dangerous and reckless to put your studs up that high.

There was absolutely no intent from Nani, i think it's clear everyone agrees on that one. But it's still dangerous and reckless to put your studs up that high.

It's exactly the same in an overhead kick, though. Perhaps even more so, since you need to generate considerable force to be able to smack the ball, that's my point. You can't say it's fine for an overhead and then wrong for that. That's what pisses fans and players off the most, there's no consistency.

It's exactly the same in an overhead kick, though. Perhaps even more so, since you need to generate considerable force to be able to smack the ball, that's my point. You can't say it's fine for an overhead and then wrong for that. That's what pisses fans and players off the most, there's no consistency.

I remember moaning a while ago about the lack of consistency. Nobody knows the boundaries and what you can and cannot do. I agree that there's certain rules that need to be cleared up, then maybe we will see some consistent decisions for similar incidents.

Not only is it the same in a overhead kick but in loads of matches legs stick there legs up to try and control the ball, imo this was no different. Except another player was nearby which Nani didn't know about.

If this is the case then, every time a player raises their leg to control ball they should be red carded.

I remember moaning a while ago about the lack of consistency. Nobody knows the boundaries and what you can and cannot do. I agree that there's certain rules that need to be cleared up, then maybe we will see some consistent decisions for similar incidents.

Exactly. At least then we'll know what's a red card and what isn't. The lines are too blurred and refs make it up as they go along, which means no consistency.

Rafael's was a handball on the line. He jumped up with his arms above his head flailing.

That is all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just remembered this:

crouchtaylor.gif

Not even a yellow card. Consistency, people. Consistency!

Taken from BBC sport website:

"A man has apologised to Nottinghamshire Police for calling 999 and asking for referee Cuneyt Cakir to be arrested after last night's Champions League clash between Manchester United and Real Madrid."

Bit of banter!

Taken from BBC sport website:

"A man has apologised to Nottinghamshire Police for calling 999 and asking for referee Cuneyt Cakir to be arrested after last night's Champions League clash between Manchester United and Real Madrid."

Bit of banter!

That's not banter, that's some sad bastard wasting police time.

Why don't we talk about this, anyway?

Obviously didn't happen along with Rafael's handball.

Because it's not a disallowed goal. The ref blew the whistle for the foul a few seconds before the ball went into the net. So, anything that happened after the whistle blowing is moot, he had already blown. Personally I would have allowed play to go on as I don't think it was a foul.

Rafael's hand-ball isn't a hand-ball for me. He's jumping for the ball, the ball hits the hand after hitting an opposition player's head whilst he's barely inches away. No time to react. Some refs would give it, some wouldn't, so again there's inconsistency.

People's need to stop using 'he's looking at the ball' as an excuse. You need to be responsible for yourself and others. It doesn't matter if Nani takes the ball down like that a thousand times in the league, it's a different ball game. Arbeloa clearly has enough sense not to raise he's foot when he's already a few feet off the ground, Nani clearly didn't.

I've absolutely loved gloating about this today. Normally I don't but I remember the absolute pouding i got after we lost against Barca when RVP was giving that nonsense red for kicking the ball away. It always stayed with me the abuse I got and I swore i'd get revenge :heh:

Edited by Jon

Definitely red. Can't use the whole "oh it was an accident!" stuff. Neither player expected it to happen, sure - but being aware of the position of others is important. Play gets stopped if a boot is dangeriously high -- if it could potentially hurt someone. Nani's high boot did hurt someone. I think it's fair enough.

This just came up on my Facebook feed:

What Fergie said when ref decisions went FOR Man United

The first one I find funniest in light of this recent conversation:

“The referee made the decision and the decision went for us today. It evens itself out over the course of the season. I saw the penalty and of course it is touch and go, but my first reaction was to put my arms up when I saw it. That was my natural reaction.”

Oh karma.

If you are using the logic of you must be aware of players around you then what about Vidic being punched in the head by the keeper then? That's more dangerous play than Nani trying to bring down a ball and catching a player he didn't even see in my eyes.

Edited by Platty