NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if somebody like Madrid or Barcelona come in with a bid for Vermaelen next season.

The Arsenal captain curse strikes again!

I'm going to go with:

1) Manchester City

2) Manchestr United

3) Arsenal

4) Chelsea

5) Tottenham

18)Reading

19)Norwich

20)Southampton

The Arsenal captain curse strikes again!

I'm going to go with:

1) Manchester City

2) Manchestr United

3) Arsenal

4) Chelsea

5) Tottenham

18)Reading

19)Norwich

20)Southampton

I'm going to go with...

1) Manchester United

2) Manchester City

3) Chelsea

4) Liverpool

5) Arsenal

16)Norwich

17)Reading

18)Wigan

19)West Ham

20)Southampton

I do think it's tough trying to guess the bottom 3. I feel it could be one season too far for Wigan. It will result in Martinez leaving for another job. Southampton and West Ham will start well, but run out of steam. Opposite for Reading, which will keep them up. Norwich will do just about enough but won't perform anywhere near as well as last season.

I'm going to go with...

1) Manchester United

2) Manchester City

3) Chelsea

4) Liverpool

5) Arsenal

16)Norwich

17)Reading

18)Wigan

19)West Ham

20)Southampton

I do think it's tough trying to guess the bottom 3. I feel it could be one season too far for Wigan. It will result in Martinez leaving for another job. Southampton and West Ham will start well, but run out of steam. Opposite for Reading, which will keep them up. Norwich will do just about enough but won't perform anywhere near as well as last season.

Just curious, what makes you think Liverpool will finish above Arsenal?

Just curious, what makes you think Liverpool will finish above Arsenal?

Brendan Rodgers's arrival should perk up the team and I think they'll get the balance right of playing good attacking/possession football whilst not leaking them in at the back. If Daniel Agger goes to City, then I'll be tempted to swap Liverpool and Arsenal around.

Plus, Suarez will get a full season without any bans this time (I think), Lucas should be back and should solidify the midfield. Defensively, I think they will be quite sound. The difference is whether they can keep the ball in midfield and score at the other end, which I expect them to do under Rodgers. I can see Joe Allen starting off slowly but settling into his role and performing well in the latter half of the season.

Something about Rodgers just seems right. I don't think they'll finish above Arsenal by much, it'll be a single point or two at the most. I can see them being incredibly difficult to beat at Anfield and wouldn't be surprised if they go the season there unbeaten. Away from home is where their finishing position will probably be decided.

Edit: It also looks like Liverpool are going to get Clint Dempsey, who will probably operate behind Suarez and is worth about 7-10 goals in a season.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

The demolition was also evidence of Arsenal leaving things late in the transfer market and lacking in squad depth. As for injuries, Nemanja Vidic played 6 league games last season. Darren Fletcher played 8, Anderson played 10 (played well in the games he did play in), as did Tom Cleverley. That's 3 central midfielders out, and our best defender. In addition to that, we had players coming in and out of the team like Jones and Smalling, both of whom are very young, but who gained vital experience. This season, we will have Vidic back, Jones, Smalling, De Gea, Evans, Lindergaard are all more experienced and a year older. Fletcher should also be back if he recovers.

The important thing is that you just have to learn to cope with these problems. Just like United never complained that having Vidic out for so long meant we lost the title. We lost it because we weren't good enough. Goal difference is still hard to take, but City played better than us and finished well.

It doesn't make a difference though when it comes to the final league table, which is really what matters, and pretty much decides the future of the club. You finished one point ahead of fourth. 3rd sounds good, but it doesn't sound good when you actually look at the table and see the points. Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla are all unproven in the league and will take time to adjust. Once again, this is a "new" and "unproven" Arsenal side. Consistency helps you win games which will then lead to trophies.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if somebody like Madrid or Barcelona come in with a bid for Vermaelen next season.

Edit: Just had a look at previous league tables. The last time Arsenal were within 10 points of the team that finished top was 2007-08, and they still finished third.

Edit2: Injury league for last season

I've heard the medical staff aren't very good. May as well replace them with monkeys.

The medic staff are amongst the best there is. Unfortunately idiots have spawned stupid rumours because of the problems Jack Wilshere has had. Cleverly was young and tipped to be good, hardly a key player, he was very unproven. I'd have thought losing Anderson was a blessing, he's been crap snce you spent £20 odd million on him and doesn't look any better.

We did lack squad depth last season, we don't this season. Ferguson said he'd never spend so much on a player over 27 years again, yet the signing of van Persie clearly shows he's a little desperate.

In the end it's all talk, the Arsenal side is completely different from last year. Vidic may never be the same player again and it will take more than a year of experience to make Jonny Evans a decent player.

Vermaelen is under contract for the next 6 years, so I don't see him going anywhere soon.

Apparently Wigan are the only team who have never been relegated from the England top division. That fact makes me want them to stay up.

Pretty sure that's not true since I remember going to see Carlisle United play them in the second division.

Try replacing Wigan with Everton (which isn't exactly true depending what you read) :p

The medic staff are amongst the best there is. Unfortunately idiots have spawned stupid rumours because of the problems Jack Wilshere has had. Cleverly was young and tipped to be good, hardly a key player, he was very unproven. I'd have thought losing Anderson was a blessing, he's been crap snce you spent £20 odd million on him and doesn't look any better.

We did lack squad depth last season, we don't this season. Ferguson said he'd never spend so much on a player over 27 years again, yet the signing of van Persie clearly shows he's a little desperate.

In the end it's all talk, the Arsenal side is completely different from last year. Vidic may never be the same player again and it will take more than a year of experience to make Jonny Evans a decent player.

Vermaelen is under contract for the next 6 years, so I don't see him going anywhere soon.

Lol, I meant our medical staff, not yours.

Jonny Evans was class last season. Utterly terrible against City, but came back and proved all the doubters wrong. Him and Vidic should be our first choice pairing. During our great defensive streak a few seasons back, that was the centre-back pairing at the heart of it, with Van Der Sar behind and Carrick in front.

As for Anderson, he's been terrible with injuries and for that reason, I wouldn't mind a great deal if he was sold. But, when he has played, he has looked comfortable on the ball and can definitely make it at United. If he can get a full season under his belt, I'm sure he can make his mark on the league.

Ferguson says a lot of things, he's a total wind-up merchant. I would've thought that would be evident by now. You never know what to expect with him.

With Vermaelen, if Barca came in with a 30 million pound offer, would you be absolutely certain that Arsenal wouldn't let him go? Contracts mean nothing these days. Modric had 4 years left and he's set for Real in a 30 million pound deal.

Anyway, we shall see. Should be a great season. My most anticipated matches are still the ones versus Arsenal and Liverpool.

Apparently Wigan are the only team who have never been relegated from the England top division. That fact makes me want them to stay up.

I'd love Wigan to stay up, but they are a two man club, Whelan and Martinez. They have good players, but all the better ones get sold (N'Zogbia, Valencia, probably Moses very soon) and they seem to be facing a relegation battle every season. I'd love to see them climb higher in the league and finish in the Top 10 but I think it's one season too many.

Edit: Also...West Brom. I think they could be a candidate to go down.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Every player has a price. If Vermaelen were to leave down the line, I'd imagine it wouldn't play out in a similar fashion to reason summer transfer dealings.

We could all talk for years about why a team will finish higher than another team but at least come 16:45 tomorrow we'll have something a little more tangible to talk with.

Pretty sure that's not true since I remember going to see Carlisle United play them in the second division.

Try replacing Wigan with Everton (which isn't exactly true depending what you read) :p

That's because Wigan only made it to the top division a few years ago. Since then, they haven't been relagated. It's a technicality, but still quite a cool fact that Wigan fans can feel happy about (for one more season at least)!

Every player has a price. If Vermaelen were to leave down the line, I'd imagine it wouldn't play out in a similar fashion to reason summer transfer dealings.

We could all talk for years about why a team will finish higher than another team but at least come 16:45 tomorrow we'll have something a little more tangible to talk with.

I'm with you there!

Love seeing this thread busy. Missed league football. Excited. :D

Jack Wilshere, the new #10

"It's such an honour for me,” he told Arsenal.com. “Getting the No 10 shirt again at the Club means so much to me as I wore it all through the youth teams at Arsenal.

“It has a special place for all attacking or creative players. I feel proud to wear it now after some real Club legends have worn it, such as Dennis Bergkamp.

“Now I am even more excited about returning to action and honouring the shirt.”

Am I reading too much into the fact he didn't mention he who will not be named and instead referenced a fellow Dutch player famed for his long relationship with the club :heh:

Happy he's got, absolutely right for it.

Alex Song set to join Barca

I knew this morning Arsene Wenger mentioned that this "could" happen, but this is bizarre. I don't really see why Barcelona want him, nor do I see why he would want to go there. It's not a good fit.

The last thing I wanted to see was Alex Song to leave, but it could happen. FCB want him because he can improve their overall squad. Song is one of the most improved players in the past 4 years, and one of the best in his position in Europe. His control is excellent, has great stamina, really good passer of the ball and works really hard. If he goes, he will probably play around 10-15 games as Busquets is first choice, but Song will add more 'steel' and is better than sergio going forward.

The last thing I wanted to see was Alex Song to leave, but it could happen. FCB want him because he can improve their overall squad. Song is one of the most improved players in the past 4 years, and one of the best in his position in Europe. His control is excellent, has great stamina, really good passer of the ball and works really hard. If he goes, he will probably play around 10-15 games as Busquets is first choice, but Song will add more 'steel' and is better than sergio going forward.

Song also had the worst successful pass percentage in the final third last season. And gives away the most ridiculous fouls, game in game out. For me he improved massively last season. However he neglected his defensive duties and left the team vulnerable.

I hear he's become a bit full of himself and Wenger thinks it's time to let him go. Easiest position to replace if you ask me.

As for Liverpool finishing above us, don't see it happening. I'd like to think we'll finish top 2, but I think 3rd is best we can achieve. I'd take a domestic cup this season, need to win something.

Song can be a liability in the big games, never fully confident he's going to stay on the field. For all the great assists he pulled off last season, he can be annoyingly frustrating with misplacing the most simple of passes. He's improved massively over the years but Wenger clearly doesn't seem that bothered about letting him go, must be some reason for that.

Edited by Jon

So excited for this season to begin. I have no idea just how well Newcastle will do, but hopefully we can get 5th again. I find it unlikely we'll do as well as last season to be honest, so I'd think around 8th would be realistic. Any lower than that would be a disappointment after last season.

Other things I'm excited to see include the Manchester battle for the title and new signings like Kagawa, Hazard and Cazorla. Also, do we have a fantasy league set up this year?

Other things I'm excited to see include the Manchester battle for the title and new signings like Kagawa, Hazard and Cazorla. Also, do we have a fantasy league set up this year?

It's in the playground. But there's a conspiracy and no one will tell me which site we are using. Obviously they are worried.

It's in the playground. But there's a conspiracy and no one will tell me which site we are using. Obviously they are worried.

Thanks! Barclays official one.

Funny that Rangers went a goal down to East Stirling at home! :D

Shame they're winning now though...

Taken from the BBC sports feed:

Liverpool had been playing well but not taking their chances and West Brom punish them

....carrying on from last season then I see :(

Which websites do people use for live football streaming?

Every time I try it, I always get a load of misleading links, popups and ads.

Thanks...no Championship feeds though. Not that I'd want to watch our match at the moment!

In other news, Swansea top of the league. Unless Fulham score again.

EDIT...And they have!

Edited by Dog-amoto