NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

So we know what football matches will be on TV for the final day? Only one I'm aware of is the Newcastle Arsenal game on Sky Sports 1, but then it would be the only one I'd know. :p

Money doesn't mean guaranteed success. Look at Madrid's Galatico's era, millions of pounds spent. For the amount spent they got 2 league titles, 2 Spanish Super Cups (read: Community Shield) and a single Champions League. Edit - Forgot to add they had the worlds best play-maker in Zidane at the time, something City don't have.

Sacking a manager because he's had one poor season out of 3 is ridiculous.

Arsene Wenger did the double in 1998, we didn't win a trophy again until 2002. We'd have looked daft sacking him in 2000. Fergie took 3 years to win a cup at United, 6 to win the league. Imagine if they'd binned him off after a poor league campaign.

The board and chairman, not the manager.

---

We got a cracking result in the end and it's in our hands come Sunday. Going up to Newcastle, hopefully it's happier than the last time I went (the 4-4).

Don't be so naive of course money means success. Who are the three richest teams in the league and who wins 90+% of all the trophies available?

Look at your own club stopped spending money when the stadium move kicked in and stopped winning trophies. The fact that Mancini has been sacked proves the point. The club have the best players available and therefore if they are not winning enough trophies the manager is responsible.

I almost forgot what financial behemoths Wigan and Swansea are...

Edited by Ramar

I almost forgot what financial behemoths Wigan and Swansea are...

He said 90%.

Where were Chelsea and City before they were billionaires play toys? Nothing, pretty much. Average at best.

He said 90%.

Where were Chelsea and City before they were billionaires play toys? Nothing, pretty much. Average at best.

Exactly why they should be happy with where they are and stop sacking their managers.

Thanks for making my point easier.

Here's what was happening the same year Man City was bought out...

Exactly why they should be happy with where they are and stop sacking their managers.

Thanks for making my point easier.

My point was that money does buy success. You really think Mancini was the right man to take City forward? He had fallen out with most of the club, and like I said before, with their money they can get better.

Money certainly helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Look at Real Madrid yesterday. Look at QPR, they've spent lots of money, but on dross. Spending wisely, man-managing the team correctly and training your team to attack with pace and defend carefully makes a successful team. Spending 35million quid on Andy Carroll isn't going to win anyone the league.

Money certainly helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Look at Real Madrid yesterday. Look at QPR, they've spent lots of money, but on dross. Spending wisely, man-managing the team correctly and training your team to attack with pace and defend carefully makes a successful team. Spending 35million quid on Andy Carroll isn't going to win anyone the league.

Spending 100m in one window doesn't guarantee anything, but spending like City and Chelsea over a few seasons does.

It's obviously possible to be successful and not spend (Dortmund).

Spending 100m in one window doesn't guarantee anything, but spending like City and Chelsea over a few seasons does.

It's obviously possible to be successful and not spend (Dortmund).

Well, no. Spending 100m on shit during one transfer window or in three transfer windows will still produce shit. The players bought dictate how the team will play and perform (as well as how the manager uses the players). Spending the money wisely is how you can build on and gain success. Look at the players Mark Hughes brought into City (25 million for Adebayor) and compare them with who Mancini brought. 24 million for Yaya Toure is money well spent.

It's definitely possible to be successful and to spend less than your rivals, but it's fucking hard and it's harder to do it for a longer period of time. Inevitably, you need to spend money to bring in players to your club and to also keep the good players that you have. If there's no money at the club, players can and often do move on.

Nobody's dictating that money automatically equals success, but you do need to have money to be successful in football.

Man should not be awake so early on a Sunday, off to Newcastle.

45 minutes and all 3 games deciding the Champions League places are draws. Tense 45 to come.

Koscielny scores, 0-1 to Arsenal!

Edit: 2-1 Chelsea and Sunderland down to 10 men, all going on.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Congrats to Yeovill for securing promotion to the Championship today. Aiming for the premier league then next year @Eightbit?

Well tight margins all round, Gareth Bale wonderstrike not enough, we are in the Champions League! Laurent Koscielny was different class this afternoon, we better keep him this Summer.

Well done to Arsenal for winning the fourth place trophy.

InB4 Dazzy.

Find it hilarious that Arsenal are celebrating like they just won the league. I'm sure spurs players and fans would have done the same. But man...

United done their best to give Fergie a heart attack on his last game in charge. 5-2 up and throw it away to 5-5. Gonna be an amazing watch on MOTD. I read a stat that is the first time in the prem league there has been a 5-5 and the first time United had a 5-5 draw since 1895. Crazy.

End of an era today.

Lovely tribute to Steve Harper at the 37th minute, playing his last game for the club. Unfortunately as a Newcastle fan, this was probably the highlight of the match...

harp_1596848a.jpg

Not a dreadful last day of the season performance by any means, but hardly great either. Arsenal probably shaded it on the balance of play, Newcastle again not being able to sustain any good football into the second half. Quite pleased for them that they have CL football, although I do feel for Bale and AVB. Bale moving on in the summer then?

Also there were some bloody mental scorelines going on today. 5-5 Man U?! 3-2 to Norwich at the Ethiad?!

Suppose it makes up for the lack of drama in terms of where teams might finish :heh:

The next few months will dictate whether Wenger is here for another contract I really hope all this rumblings about us acquiring some world class talent is actually true.

We've got one of the best defences in the league, which people seem to constantly bash, not too shabby when we've gone through 3 different keepers this season. I'd love to see Wenger shift Tommy V to defensive mid. Position is absolutely tailored made for him. Getting rid of the dead wood is absolutely essential. The whole squad certainly doesn't require a rebuild, just a bit of cut and paste

Gareth Bale ran us close in the end, but there's a reason we've never finished below them and it showed as it usually does.

Such a shame Carragher hit the bar during his last match, would have been great for him to get a goal.

Thursdays will forever be Spursdays.

So relieved.

Here's to a busy transfer window, and a title challenge next season!

Thursdays will forever be Spursdays.

So relieved.

Here's to a busy transfer window, and a title challenge next season!

The transfer window. That time of year when an Arsenal player decides to leave because he wants to win trophies elsewhere. I reckon this year might be Vermaelen. :p

Who knows!