NEurope
madeinbeats

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

I have loads op Wiiu-games to play, but have only tries NSMBU and Arkham City. Since I'm very familiar with the original edition and because what I've read on them internets (Horrible framerate! Unplayable mess! What ARE those shadows! Texture-loading! Boo and Hiss!), I've spent a fair amount of time with the Armoured Edition... and it's good. Not better, not worse, but definitely Arkham City. Only with a slightly crappier looking suit.

The gamepad really is an improvement, I feel. The map is just a look down away, and everything is avaiable just a couple of presses away.

Have to get used to the new controller, though. Since my hand are acustomed to the 360-controller, It's weird playing Batman with the second analogue stick above the buttons. But it just takes a little getting used to.

I really don't know what the backlash for the Wii U-version on the net is all about. Yes, a frame may get lost here and there, but it's not noticable and doesn't hamper gameplay for me, unlike some reports on the net. And the gamepad is really well suited for this game.

If you've played the original, there is little for you here besides some new gamepad-additions. If not, you simply have no excuse to not take this trip to Arkham City.

Edited by Strange Cookie

I have loads op Wiiu-games to play, but have only tries NSMBU and Arkham City. Since I'm very familiar with the original edition and because what I've read on them internets (Horrible framerate! Unplayable mess! What ARE those shadows! Texture-loading! Boo and Hiss!), I've spent a fair amount of time with the Armoured Edition... and it's good. Not better, not worse, but definitely Arkham City. Only with a slightly crappier looking suit.

The gamepad really is an improvement, I feel. The map is just a look down away, and everything is avaiable just a couple of presses away.

Have to get used to the new controller, though. Since my hand are acustomed to the 360-controller, It's weird playing Batman with the second analogue stick above the buttons. But it just takes a little getting used to.

I really don't know what the backlash for the Wii U-version on the net is all about. Yes, a frame may get lost here and there, but it's not noticable and doesn't hamper gameplay for me, unlike some reports on the net. And the gamepad is really well suited for this game.

This is fantastic to hear some impressions on this subject. I have the game myself, but have yet to play it since i'm working my way through the launch titles. I kind of had a hard time buying in to all this frame rate/unplayable stuff, and I heard Warriors Orochi 3 had frame rate issues as well, something i've not at all come across, but instead folk seem to be taking the opportunity to bash it for no good reason.

I'm definently looking forward to having some hands on time with this later on tonight with ZombiU or Darksiders tonight.

No problem.

If you get really down to it and nitpick on every single technical detail, the 360-version probably is the more technically superior-version outthere, but not by an enormous margin. From what I've experienced, you really have to be looking for it. It's far from the train-wreck some may have led you to believe. It's no Bayonetta PS3, that's for sure. Now that was a true port-catastrophy... and yet still playable.

I'm looking forward to go through Arkham City all over again.

As long as it was playable and not game breaking then it was good enough for me and i'd be happy with it, hearing the positive impressions is a nice extra bonus! But it does seem like something you'd need to go seek for yourself than essentially having it all up in your face like some places are saying.

But Epic Mikey 2 I totally get :heh:

Thanks for the feedback, Strange Cookie; I think I've heard enough assurances to take the plunge.

I also asked on the Miiverse community whether it was a good port. A couple of people who have it responded within about five minutes. That's what it's all about!

I find this a hard sell on the Wii U, now that you can buy the Game of the Year Edition on PS3/360 for £25.

If you set the Wii U to 720p Batman runs as smoothly if not smoother than the 360 version! Tried it today. I do find that the default 1080p upscaling adds a modicum of extra sharpness and softens jags a little, it pops a little more, but it's not really significant (it's rendering at 720 anyway!). Give it a go! :)

Been playing this for the last couple of hours...it looks and plays great. Have noticed no framerate issues and the GamePad utilisation is awesome

Is this a game that can be played using the 'off TV' feature or does it have to be played in front of TV?!

Glad to hear you're all enjoying it so far!! :bouncy:

Yup, off-tv is supported. Looks rather nice for the most part on the gamepad too.

I'm enjoying this so far, but the combat is a bit clunky and mashy for my tastes. Perhaps I'll get used to it.

Combat is anything but clunky.

It must be me then!! I'm really awful and clueless. I always feel swamped by them. =/

Basically I just want to explore and solve puzzles. Fighting feels like a chore.

It must be me then!! I'm really awful and clueless. I always feel swamped by them. =/

Basically I just want to explore and solve puzzles. Fighting feels like a chore.

Use the combos, i.e. tap the buttons in rhythm and push the stick towards wherever the next opponent is. Should be very fluid when you get it right...

Use the combos, i.e. tap the buttons in rhythm and push the stick towards wherever the next opponent is. Should be very fluid when you get it right...

After taking your advice I'm really getting into the swing of it now! Got up to the hammer boss guy, got killed and saved there. The game is at times magisterially brilliant and I love that the atmosphere is closer to the Burton films and animated series, rather than the pompous, po-faced grandstanding of the Nolans.

After taking your advice I'm really getting into the swing of it now! Got up to the hammer boss guy, got killed and saved there. The game is at times magisterially brilliant and I love that the atmosphere is closer to the Burton films and animated series, rather than the pompous, po-faced grandstanding of the Nolans.

Great to hear! Just wait when you get more gadgets and skills, the fighting gets even better. With you flying through the air like a pitch black Swiss army knife of high-speed brutality, those poor bastards will stand no chance at all...

Dont forget to mix in you gadgets during battles, you can destroy any group when you start doing that.

In terms of atmosphere its pretty much the comic books brought to life.

Finished the main story of this the other day, loved it. Didn't notice any slowdown or anything that people were complaining about

The amount of postgame content is incredible, guess it's because we get all the DLC straight out. The Harley Quinn stuff for example, pretty extensive addition

Finished the main story of this the other day, loved it. Didn't notice any slowdown or anything that people were complaining about

The amount of postgame content is incredible, guess it's because we get all the DLC straight out. The Harley Quinn stuff for example, pretty extensive addition

Yeah but so does the Game of the Year Edition and that's selling for £15 in the Pre-Christmas sales atm!

Really shouldn't have been a full price game this one.

Good that you enjoyed it though! What was the best use of the GamePad for you?

Is your TV and Wii U set to 720p by any chance?

A bit of unevenness in the framerate will also be less noticeable on an lcd vs a plasma, basically because of the slight motion blur they have (whereas plasma will better resolve higher framerates, so you'll get more benefit from 60Hz in Mario and Nintendo Land). Different people have different sensitivities to this sort of thing. Although I do notice it rather easily, I'm not bothered at all by the odd loading pause or stutter during crowded scenes in Batman. I replayed the opening portion of the game in 720p and found the bit with all the prisoners slightly more consistent and the same with cutscenes. Also if you swivel the camera around you'll notice it. In the end I felt that I preferred the extra crispness of the 1080 upscale (it does it so well!). Ran this by one of my mates as well and he thought the occasional frame drop was extremely minor - "wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said".

I haven't made a great deal of progress with this yet because of other games dividing my attention, but I love what I've played so far! The atmosphere is tremendous. My favourite feature with the gamepad so far is having the map literally at your fingertips and being and to slide it around at a touch, as simple as it sounds.

How long did the main story mode take you @Serebii?

Is your TV and Wii U set to 720p by any chance?

Nope, 1080p

A bit of unevenness in the framerate will also be less noticeable on an lcd vs a plasma, basically because of the slight motion blur they have (whereas plasma will better resolve higher framerates, so you'll get more benefit from 60Hz in Mario and Nintendo Land). Different people have different sensitivities to this sort of thing. Although I do notice it rather easily, I'm not bothered at all by the odd loading pause or stutter during crowded scenes in Batman. I replayed the opening portion of the game in 720p and found the bit with all the prisoners slightly more consistent and the same with cutscenes. Also if you swivel the camera around you'll notice it. In the end I felt that I preferred the extra crispness of the 1080 upscale (it does it so well!). Ran this by one of my mates as well and he thought the occasional frame drop was extremely minor - "wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said".

I haven't made a great deal of progress with this yet because of other games dividing my attention, but I love what I've played so far! The atmosphere is tremendous. My favourite feature with the gamepad so far is having the map literally at your fingertips and being and to slide it around at a touch, as simple as it sounds.

How long did the main story mode take you @Serebii?

About 15 hours but that was doing like no sidequests

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Was £24.41 direct from Amazon earlier today, but is now out of stock.

One of the third party sellers is doing it for £26.44 though.

You can still order it from Amazon for £24.41 for when they get it back in stock though.