NEurope
madeinbeats

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Really wish i didn't recently get this on the ps3, wouldn't mind wiring for this version, quite like the tablet stuff and if it has all the DLC it's not a bad deal... Oh well!

I think the lack of the thread is just a reflection of everyone's 'meh' attitude towards the game.

Althought of course it's a great game and this will be the definative version, but yeah... it's old!

I might give it a go though. I haven't played either game, and so could get the first on the PS3 and then play this one... although you can get the PS3/360 version of this game for half the price.

Despite all the great reviews though, there's just something I'm not sure about these games. I think it's just the dull colour palette and repetive looking thugs and fight scenes (in amongst a lot of brilliance though I'm sure).

wouldn't mind wiring for this version,
Stop it dazzybee, stop it! ;):D

I think the lack of the thread is just a reflection of everyone's 'meh' attitude towards the game.

maybe I'm wrong but I think most people that really wanted to play this game, already picked it up last year. For the few that haven't though, I can't recommend this game enough though. its easily one of the most enjoyable games of this gen.

From what I saw at E3, the Wii U features don't seem enough for me to buy the game again, certainly not at full price. I'm still unsure if there is any actual new content outside of having your inventory menu on the gamepad's screen. Stuff like being able to control the batarang manually could be done in the other versions of the game, just with a analog stick so that's not really a new feature.

maybe I'm wrong but I think most people that really wanted to play this game, already picked it up last year.
Yeah that's what I mean, it's a year old game on Wii U... 'meh'

To me with games like this and the Game Pad, sometimes it just looks like they're doubling up exactly what's on the TV screen, except telling you to look at it on your Game Pad as if it's a new feature/experience? Like the scanning and the batarang... how's it really any different? It's just not.

Edited by Retro_Link

Eurogamers DF recently went hands on with the game and it sounds like it needs a little done to it.

Also present at Nintendo's event were a selection of third-party games which we've seen in some capacity before. The big-hitters set for release close to launch of the console are Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, both of which factor GamePad features into the mix where possible.

It's worth noting that neither of these games looked particularly appealing - and certainly not the great leap over current hardware we may have been hoping for. For starters, while Armored Edition uses the GamePad screen in some briefly entertaining ways, by letting you scan an area in detective mode through its screen and switch weapons from his Bat-belt by touch, the game looks woefully unoptimised. Unreal Engine 3 relies on streaming textures, where low-resolution tiles subtly fade out for the higher-quality ones as you draw closer. Unfortunately, no big switch is occurring in the build we tried for minutes at a time, if ever.

This makes for some astoundingly blurry looking enemies and floor patterns, which prompted some passers-by at the event to question whether the Wii U unit was connected via HDMI. The hiccups to the frame-rate indicate that in this build at least, it's running unlocked, with some of the most glaring hitches popping up in front of masses of enemies. But again, this is an early build, and Batman looked suitably highly detailed and reflective.

Yeah that's what I mean, it's a year old game on Wii U... 'meh'

To me with games like this and the Game Pad, sometimes it just looks like they're doubling up exactly what's on the TV screen, except telling you to look at it on your Game Pad as if it's a new feature/experience? Like the scanning and the batarang... how's it really any different? It's just not.

yeah that's exactly how I feel, Reggie seemed to be saying there was more to this game then that on Gametrailers, just after the press conference, but I didn't really see anything new content wise. I guess its fine if you've never played it before, but Its hard to justify what they've shown when the game is already available and cheaper elsewhere. plus it'll be even cheaper in a couple of weeks on steam during the summer sale.

Althought of course it's a great game and this will be the definative version, but yeah... it's old!

I might give it a go though. I haven't played either game, and so could get the first on the PS3 and then play this one... although you can get the PS3/360 version of this game for half the price.

Despite all the great reviews though, there's just something I'm not sure about these games. I think it's just the dull colour palette and repetive looking thugs and fight scenes (in amongst a lot of brilliance though I'm sure).

Stop it dazzybee, stop it! ;):D

STUPID IPAD! Must start checking what I'm writing!

Thugh if you haven't played any of the batman games then definitely get this. The first is amazing and by all accounts the second even better!

Thugh if you haven't played any of the batman games then definitely get this. The first is amazing and by all accounts the second even better!

No, no, no. Arkham City makes some great improvements over the original, but lacks the focus of the first.The open world is pretty barren and actually unnecessary - its really, really nt needed in the game. Its just a case of (impressively) swooping from one building to the next until you get to your destination. Its a great game, but its open world ambitions are flawed.

Had this been a duo-pack (Arkham Asylum and City) on WiiU, with all DLC and some additional content, I would have happily purchased them again. With a minimal new features and tacked on GamePad controls, nah.

No, no, no. Arkham City makes some great improvements over the original, but lacks the focus of the first.The open world is pretty barren and actually unnecessary - its really, really nt needed in the game. Its just a case of (impressively) swooping from one building to the next until you get to your destination. Its a great game, but its open world ambitions are flawed.

You have just summed up perfectly how I feel about the game. I didn't see the point in the whole open world setting, especially when it was so empty. It was also annoying how you had certain barriers in the city where you could not fly past. Having to swing around the whole city instead of being able to cut through the middle got very annoying.

This is probably the Wii U game I tried which impressed me the least. I'm not sure if I just didn't like the style of the game, or whether it genuinely is worse on Wii U. It felt like it had genuinely good ideas of to use the GamePad, but something about it felt a bit clunky. Maybe I just need to give it more time to truly "get" Arkham City, having not played the original or the 360/PS3 version.

As soon as I knew this game was headed to the WiiU I waited for this version. It's going to be day one for me without a doubt, also having all of the DLC available right off the bat is even better.

As soon as I knew this game was headed to the WiiU I waited for this version. It's going to be day one for me without a doubt, also having all of the DLC available right off the bat is even better.

I'll be getting it. The original was amazing, I've got it on the PC. I've waited for the WiiU version. I know loads of gamers that didn't have it on the 360 or PS3, I recommend they grab it on the WiiU!

Mixed feelings about this one. I got the original one on the PC but didn't really get into it. I would probably pick this up on Wii U depending on how it turns out. It doesn't sound so glowing from the early previews though.

Eurogamers DF recently went hands on with the game and it sounds like it needs a little done to it.

Is having it connected via HDMI bad?

I know loads of gamers that didn't have it on the 360 or PS3, I recommend they grab it on the WiiU!

Don't forget to recommend they fork out £200ish for the console too, otherwise they may feel silly.

Is having it connected via HDMI bad?

They are saying that it looked so dodgy that people were wondering whether it was connected by some other lead, like component, rather than HDMI.

They are saying that it looked so dodgy that people were wondering whether it was connected by some other lead, like component, rather than HDMI.

It's something to do with texture streaming (texture popping?) from what I'm reading. UE3 displays low quality textures for things in the distance, and streams in the high quality ones as objects are brought into the foreground - not happening here.

Also Nintendo requested at the last minute that all games be brought to E3 on disc not memory cards or HDDs, this might have had something to do with it as well.

Obviously it's an issue with tweaking UE3 for WiiU and I imagine they will never in a million years release the game with this issue.

I haven't played this, I love Batman, but I just can't get excited about this. Don't really know why. Would have been lovely if the WiiU could have had its own exclusive Batman, but that wasn't going to happen.

Might be tempted to pick it up around launch if it gets great reviews.

I haven't played this, I love Batman, but I just can't get excited about this. Don't really know why. Would have been lovely if the WiiU could have had its own exclusive Batman, but that wasn't going to happen.

Might be tempted to pick it up around launch if it gets great reviews.

Even if you only slightly like Batman you should get this. The first is soooo damn good it's unreal.

Also, it's probably the best depiction of Batman outside of the Christopher Nolan films.

Even if you only slightly like Batman you should get this. The first is soooo damn good it's unreal.

Also, it's probably the best depiction of Batman outside of the Christopher Nolan films.

Yeah but still not better than Tim Burtons :)

Yeah but still not better than Tim Burtons :)

Good man! I still rate Batman Returns as the best Batman film.

In terms of the games I honestly enjoyed Batman: Brave and the Bold on the Wii more than I did any of the Arkham games. True story. :D

The first game was brilliant. The second game...well, the story was better, but the city never felt right at all. The smaller environment of the first was much better.

Good man! I still rate Batman Returns as the best Batman film.

In terms of the games I honestly enjoyed Batman: Brave and the Bold on the Wii more than I did any of the Arkham games. True story. :D

Great game, great humour. Still need to finish it, but I'm co-oping it with a friend and we only see each other every few months. Funny because he;s a HD console COD Fifa and all that malarky, got playing this and he loved it!!

If only more people would open their minds to some other games...