NEurope
Retro_Link

Venom Movie

News/rumours have been gathering on this for a while, now there's some more solid talk...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/10/venom-will-be-an-eddie-brock-movie

Venom Will Be an Eddie Brock Movie

Producers hint solo pic could be in same universe as Spidey reboot.

The producers of The Amazing Spider-Man say Sony's planned Venom movie just might exist within the same universe as the Spidey reboot, leaving the door open for potential crossover films a la Marvel Studios' "Phase One" slate.

Producer Matt Tolmach told Hollywood.com, "Look for the worlds [of The Amazing Spider-Man and Venom] to make sense with another." He added, "Hopefully, all these worlds will live together in peace someday."

Fellow producer Avi Arad revealed which incarnation of Venom the movie will follow. "It's an Eddie Brock story," said Arad, a producer on Venom/Brock's last big screen appearance, Spider-Man 3. "We want to be as close to the comics as possible. Especially in Eddie Brock's story. But again, pseudo-science is becoming science."

Arad continued, "All these tidbits about webs, artificial webs, is a huge industry now. Spiderwebs have unique qualities that will be huge for communications, fibers, and so forth. So we have taken the approach that we want to make the huge amazing movie about Eddie."

Chronicle's Josh Trank is attached to direct Venom.

I guess Venom having being a seperate movie takes the risk away from the Spiderman films should they get it wrong again... but what's a Venom movie without Spiderman?... Who will he battle?... Will audiences even be interested?

it could be interesting, at points venom has been an anti-hero so it could be quite possible to do a movie, that said no idea who he'd face.

Perhaps they could cover him getting the symbiont and it giving birth to carnage, then have carnage be his foe.

If they go with ultimate version however i don't know how they could do it, since he needs to feed, hard to make him an anti-hero........ oh god terrible thought! He feeds on others, he's generally dark and broody, could they make it a teen orientated movie "feeding" off the Twilight style....

I'm praying its the original comic stories

Well sounds good so far, certainly better than the initial idea back in when the first Rami Spiderman came out and there was talj of a Venom solo film that had no relation to Spiderman :heh:

The only part I'd be concerned about is skipping over Peter having the Symbiote first before Brock gets it.... also would prolly mean a lack of Brocks relationship with Peter and him growing to hate Peter/Spiderman.... and of course the Symbiote then hating Peter for him rejecting it. Which I always saw as a crucial part of Brocks Venom character.... and of course the reason for why Venom maintains a Black Spider man suit appearance and similar abilities (webs and such)

Really, the main question is: How can you have Venom without Spider-Man?

Indeed.

I can't really see it somehow! :hmm:

Sounds more like a cash-in to me, Venom isn't strong enough imo to be a standalone in a big movie. I'd still see it, but I doubt this will be good because I'm not sure of its intentions.

Maybe they'll have two symbiotes come to Earth, one ends up being Venom, the other - some random bad guy. The movie deals with the inner turmoils of Brock's mind, turning him eventually bad but showing a little humanity by saving some school kids/some other shit/the world from this other symbiote guy. The aftermath wipes out the baddie, but a little piece of him remains fused with Venom, which jumps out of him due to being too evil or something. This little piece then falls into the hands of a certain Cletus Kassidy... Sequel demanded.

There are plenty of stories they can do without with Venom, but as an introduction movie I can't really say it makes sense without him. I dunno. Sure it could be good.

There are plenty of stories they can do without with Venom, but as an introduction movie I can't really say it makes sense without him. I dunno. Sure it could be good.

Are you being a moron? (again :p)

A Venom movie without Venom? That would be brave!

Edited by Mike1988uk

Are you being a moron? (again :p)

A Venom movie without Venom? That would be brave!

Can't tell if you're just poking fun (which I highly assume), but just in case you're not: Obviously he just forgot to type "Spider-Man" after "without".

Can't tell if you're just poking fun (which I highly assume), but just in case you're not: Obviously he just forgot to type "Spider-Man" after "without".

I realised that! :) (I was poking fun)

I only called him a moron coz it says so in his sig...

This leaves an Elektra/Catwoman taste in my mouth. I feel like...no. Just don't do it...

This leaves an Elektra/Catwoman taste in my mouth. I feel like...no. Just don't do it...

Well put, sir.

I don't understand what the perspective of Venom would be...though the extent of my knowledge of the character is from the Spider-man movie. There's no guilt, mysterious backstory or secret motivation...just seems like too shallow of a character. Maybe he has a more fleshed-out background in the comics.

I suppose they could go down the Eddie having cancer route but I just don't know where it would end... I'm finding it hard to think of a narrative that they could do all on his own.

I just don't see how they could believably create an origin story for Venom & Brock without Spiderman involved and still claim it to be in the same universe as the Spiderman film coming next month.

In my mind they would have to do the Symbiote and Venom in a Spiderman film first... maybe in The Amazing Spiderman 2.... but this could be hard given it was already done "recently" and poorly in "Spiderman 3".... then after that do a Venom solo film

I watched the trailer for the new Spider-Man film and was surprised they were telling of his origin again, only ten years since the Sony film. Generally speaking I don't know why they think people need origin stories so much. I mean we all understand Spider-Man by now, don't we?

In this regard, though, I can see how they would completely disregard Venom's appearance in Spider-Man 3.

I watched the trailer for the new Spider-Man film and was surprised they were telling of his origin again, only ten years since the Sony film. Generally speaking I don't know why they think people need origin stories so much. I mean we all understand Spider-Man by now, don't we?

In this regard, though, I can see how they would completely disregard Venom's appearance in Spider-Man 3.

Because with great power comes great responsibility.

Honestly, I think every Spiderman does the origin story, I've seen it so many countless times in various different forms, I'm not even suprised.