NEurope
daftada

Nintendo development list

HAL is listed as a developer on SSB4, but if Brawl is anything to go by, they're only playing a very minor role (with Namco doing the bulk of the work, much like how Gamearts did much of the grunt work for Brawl alongside the "Smash Recruit Team").

Hmm... Michael Kelbaugh just gave us a hint as to how Retro operates :)

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid

"We’re pretty much on one major project at a time. We do a game every two years or three years," Kelbaugh said. "In the first year of that, we have some extra bandwidth, so sometimes… We helped out with Mario Kart 7. We helped Monster Games do the 3DS version. Sometimes we’ll have a little bit of extra bandwidth to help out other entities at Nintendo. We really feel strongly about helping out Nintendo as a whole, so if we have time, we’ll do that. Do we have the bandwidth to do two major projects at once? I don’t think so. A big project and a little project at the same time, we can do that."

So Retro is a one game studio, with enough staff to handle a small side project at the same time...

With the way that was worded, it sounds like DKCR 3D was finished in early 2012, as Retro gave them a hand on it in their spare time, and that the game was just held back for business reasons (to give the 3DS lineup an extra boost in 2013 and to build up hype for DKCTF).

I wonder if that means that Monster Games might be further into development of their new game than I had first thought?

Interesting, it would seem Retro are the new Rare with it's stand on the market. Didn't Rare have a one game focus as well and use staff to aid other titles?.

Interesting, it would seem Retro are the new Rare with it's stand on the market. Didn't Rare have a one game focus as well and use staff to aid other titles?.

I was under the impression from the recent Conker commentary that they had a ton of small very competitive teams? They certainly cranked out the games in the N64 era. Like just thinking of 2000 alone didn't they release Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie and Mickey's Speedway USA (secret best karting game ever!) plus I'm sure a few Gameboy Color games!

Rare had an enormous output. They released 11 N64 games and 7 GBC games in less than 5 years. Retro has released 1 game over the past 5 years. Of course games had lot lower production values back then...

Nah, Rare was huge and pumped out multiple titles at the same time (Though as rightfully pointed out, production costs and general team sizes were much lower back then - so that was much easier to pull off than it is nowadays)

Probably pretty safe to say that the team behind Animal Crossing:New Leaf is working on a sequel for the WiiU.

Just, following those monies!

It could also very well be that Next Level Games is also making a sequel to Luigi's Mansion 2 for the WiiU.

The world isn't the same anymore now that Retro is making Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Time for an update! Streetpass Plaza has 4 new games and here are the developers!

StreetPass Squad - Developer: Good-Feel (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Yoshi Yarn)

-The game is a shmup in which StreetPasses can be collected as weapon power-ups in each stage.

StreetPass Garden - Developer: GREZZO (Ocarina of Time 3D, Four Swords DSiWare)

-The game is a slow-paced gardening game in which StreetPasses not only water your flower to grow, they also bring their own flower to display. Grow them all!

StreetPass Battle - Developer: Spike Chunsoft (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)

-The game is a battle game based in older Japan times. It looks like the StreetPasses you make join your clan with all of their streetpasses as their armymen. Fight against enemies in Paper-Rock-Scissors style plus your army count.

StreetPass Mansion - Developer: PROPE (Ivy the Kiwi, Let's Tap, Wii Play: Motion's Trigger Twist)

-The game is a combination of a puzzle-adventure and exploration adventure. StreetPasses give you maps which allow you to add rooms to the mansion and potentially find items. If you encounter ghosts, this initiates a battle sequence with the items you've collected.

Thanks to that latest Chotto Nintendo Direct, we know what Skip have been up to now! (Chibi Robo Photography)

Also they announced Denpa Men 3, so go ahead and update Genius Sonority's list.

Oh and there's an interview that gives us a few details about Monolith Kyoto!

-Studio opened 2011

-Worked on the graphics of Animal Crossing: New Leaf

-Hired 10 new people this year following their expansion announcement earlier this year. Both fresh graduates and experienced workers.

-Brings their total staff to around 30. Mostly character modelers, effect designers, and animators.

-Staff has a high proportion of women, many staff in their late-20s

-Work is from 9AM to 6PM, no overtime without your boss's permission. (This is uncommon in Japan).

-No taking work home or unpaid overtime.

-Time for experimenting included in regular working hours, but can use the office tools up to 9PM for this purpose.

-Staff use their extra free time to pursue hobbies or hone their artistic skills.

-Looking for storyboard artists as they're making cutscenes at the studio.

-Article ends with a call for job applications for 3D CG designers, effect designers, and motion designers.

-The absolute minimum monthly salary for an experienced worker is 185,000 yen (US$1,837), up for negotiation based on experience and skills. There's also 2 annual bonuses, an annual wage rise, health insurance, and up to ~US$500 support for work related transport costs on top of the salary.

-Experienced workers must have 3 years experience or more, new graduates also welcome.

Sounds like they're more of a support studio (similar to 1up studio/Brownie Brown) than one that deals with fully fledged productions. Seems like a nice place to work for new graduates :)

Edited by Dcubed

Small update. Remember that Gaist Crusher game coming from Capcom?

Well it turns out that it's being made by Treasure!

While I'm disappointed in seeing that this is what they've been working on all this time (as I don't think the trailer makes it look particularily great), their track record is still impeccable so they automatically get the benefit of the doubt.

Seems that HAL might be the ones responsible for Wii Sports Club...

WmHvkzR.png

This image appeared at the end of the Wii Fit U direct where WSC was announced (and we already know that Wii Fit U was developed by the same team at EAD as the past titles so....

Oh no! Looks like I was wrong. It turns out that Wii Sports Club was actually developed by Namco!?

Woah! I was waaaaayyyyy off! Why Namco? Online netcode expertise perhaps?

So why the hell was HAL's name mentioned at the end of the video? Wii Street U? Co-developing Wii Sports Club?

Edited by Dcubed

Do we have any idea what Next Level Games might be working on yet?

Still excited by this:

Jason Carr: We are doing only Nintendo products now.

...We have worked with a lot of other companies before, and we're super happy with our relationship with Nintendo. There's no reason to look anywhere else. They keep giving us better and better IP to work with, and as long as we do our job and make good games for them there's no reason for us to venture out.

Really curious about what they're up to. :bouncy:

First page needs updating.

Maybe just put QoL next to each developer we don't know what they're doing :)

Next Level Games haven't done a sidescroller yet, so they might be working on Wario Land.

Oh god the last thing nintendo should be putting into development is ANY platforming game!! Mario U, Luigi U, Mario 3D, Donkey Kong and Yarn Yoshi are more than enough!

I wouldn't mind Next level getting Star Fox!!

An interesting rumour was posted on Gaf.

German website Nintendo-Online published a new article today with speculation about a potential third team over at Nintendo EAD Tokyo. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D Land Koichi Hayashida director is said to be leading the new division. Assuming a third team exists, Nintendo-Online believes that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was the first project.

The speculation stems from Captain Toad’s credits. EAD Tokyo 2 producer Yoshiaki Koizumi is not mentioned, pointing towards a new group. This is further supported by a Japanese interview with Hayashida earlier this year in which he implied that he had received a promotion to producer.

Oh yeah! Forgot to post that.

TBH, we've sort of been expecting Hayashida to get his own team for a good while now.

One of the EAD Tokyo teams is probably providing assistance to Greezo for Majora's Mask 3D as well (they did the same for OoT3D, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here).

@Dcubed, I had a go at updating the list (this is a really great thread so it'd be nice to keep it going):

First Party

Nintendo EAD (Miyamoto, Takashi Tezuka) -

Nintendo EAD Group 1 (Hideki Konno) -

Nintendo EAD Group 2 (Katsuya Eguchi) - Splatoon (Wii U) / Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS)

Nintendo EAD Group 3 (Eiji Aonuma) - The Legend of Zelda (Wii U)

Nintendo EAD Group 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura) - Mario Maker (Wii U)

Nintendo EAD Group 5 (Tadashi Sugiyama) - Project Giant Robot / Project Guard / Star Fox (Wii U)

Nintendo EAD Tokyo 1 (Takao Shimizu) -

Nintendo EAD Tokyo 2 (Yoshiaki Koizumi) - Untitled Super Mario game (?)

Nintendo SPD 1 (Yoshio Sakamoto) - Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus (3DS)

Nintendo SPD 2 (Hitoshi Yamagami) -

Nintendo SPD 3 (Kensuke Tanabe) -

Nintendo SPD 4 (Hiroshi Sato) -

Nintendo SPD 5 (Masaru Nishita) -

NST -

Retro Studios -

Monolith Soft - Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) / Project X Zone 2 (3DS)

Brownie Brown -

Intelligent Systems - Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Wii U) / Fire Emblem / Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS)

Sora - Smash Bros. DLC (Wii U & 3DS)

Nd Cube -

Second Party

Asobism -

AlphaDream -

Creatures Inc. -

Camelot Software Planning -

Game Freak -

Genius Sonority -

Good-Feel - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

Grezzo -

HAL Laboratory - Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Wii U)

Monster Games -

Next Level Games -

Noise -

Skip Ltd. -

syn Sophia - Girls Mode 3 (3DS)

Third Party

Ambrella -

Arika -

Chunsoft -

Curve -

Eighting -

Freestyle Games -

Ganbarion -

GungHo Online Entertainment - Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition (3DS)

Hatena - Flipnote Studio 3D (3DS)

Headstrong Games -

Mitchell -

NamcoBandai - Pokkén Tournament (Arcade) / Project Treasure (Wii U)

n-Space -

Paon -

PlatinumGames -

Q-Games -

Red Entertainment - Fossil Fighters Frontier (3DS)

Sandlot -

Suzak Inc. -

Tamsoft - Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (3DS)

Team Ninja -

Tecmo Koei - Project Zero 5 (Wii U)

Tose Co., Ltd. -

Traveller’s Tales - Lego Jurassic World / Lego Marvel's Avengers (Wii U & 3DS) / Lego Dimensions (Wii U)

Treasure -

Valhalla Game Studios - Devil's Third (Wii U)

Vanpool -

Vitei -

Probably missing quite a bit, although we are close to E3. ::shrug: But yeah, please feel free to fill in any blanks if you can. :)

: peace:

Looks good! Though I think it's a good idea to list the games that each developer most recently released as well; just to give a better idea of when we can expect to see something from them...

So I've update the list thus...

@Dcubed, I had a go at updating the list (this is a really great thread so it'd be nice to keep it going):

First Party

Nintendo EAD (Miyamoto, Takashi Tezuka)

Nintendo EAD Group 1 (Hideki Konno) - Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2

Nintendo EAD Group 2 (Katsuya Eguchi) - Splatoon (Wii U) / Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS)

Nintendo EAD Group 3 (Eiji Aonuma) - The Legend of Zelda (Wii U)

Nintendo EAD Group 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura) - Mario Maker (Wii U)

Nintendo EAD Group 5 (Tadashi Sugiyama) - Project Giant Robot / Project Guard / Star Fox (Wii U)

Nintendo EAD Tokyo 1 (Takao Shimizu) - Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre

Nintendo EAD Tokyo 2 (Yoshiaki Koizumi) - Super Mario 3D World

Nintendo EAD Tokyo 3 (Koichi Hayashida) - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Ultimate NES Remix

Nintendo SPD 1 (Yoshio Sakamoto) - Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus (3DS)

Nintendo SPD 2 (Hitoshi Yamagami) -

Nintendo SPD 3 (Kensuke Tanabe) -

Nintendo SPD 4 (Hiroshi Sato) -

Nintendo SPD 5 (Masaru Nishita) -

NST - Mario VS DK: Tipping Stars

Retro Studios - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Monolith Soft - Xenoblade Chronicles X, (Wii U) / Project X Zone 2 (3DS)

Brownie Brown 1UP Studio - Co-developed SM3DW and Captain Toad - generally seems to be a support studio now

Intelligent Systems - Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Wii U) / Fire Emblem / Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS)

Sora - Smash Bros. DLC (Wii U & 3DS)

Nd Cube - Mario Party 10

Second Party

Asobism -

AlphaDream -

Creatures Inc. -

Camelot Software Planning - Mario Golf: World Tour

Game Freak - Tembo: The Badass Elephant (multiplat), Pokemon ORAS

Genius Sonority - Denpa Men: Free, Pokemon Shuffle

Good-Feel - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U), Streetpass Zombies (3DS)

Grezzo - Majora's Mask 3D

HAL Laboratory - Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Wii U), Kirby Fighters Z, Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, Boxboy, Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)

Monster Games - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Next Level Games - Luigi's Mansion 2

Noise -

Skip Ltd. - Chibi Robo: Let's Go Photo!

syn Sophia - Girls Mode 3 (3DS)

Third Party

Ambrella - Pokemon Rumble World

Arika -

Chunsoft - Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon

Curve - Stealth Inc 2

Eighting -

Freestyle Games - Guitar Hero Live

Ganbarion -

GungHo Online Entertainment - Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition (3DS)

Hatena - Flipnote Studio 3D (3DS)

Headstrong Games - Art Academy Wii U[/b]

Mitchell -

NamcoBandai - Pokkén Tournament (Arcade) / Project Treasure (Wii U)

n-Space -

Paon -

PlatinumGames - Scalebound Bayonetta 2 Legend of Korra

Q-Games - The Tomorrow Children

Red Entertainment - Fossil Fighters Frontier (3DS)

Sandlot -

Suzak Inc. -

Tamsoft - Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (3DS)

Team Ninja - Final Fantasy Dissidia Arcade DOA 5: Last Round, Hyrule Warriors

Tecmo Koei - Project Zero 5 localisation (Wii U), Too much other stuff to list here

Tose Co., Ltd. - Godonlyknows :laughing:

Traveller’s Tales - Lego Jurassic World / Lego Marvel's Avengers (Wii U & 3DS) / Lego Dimensions (Wii U)

Treasure - Geist Crusher God, Ikaruga (Steam)

Valhalla Game Studios - Devil's Third (Wii U)

Vanpool - Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger

Vitei - Steel Diver Sub Wars

Probably missing quite a bit, although we are close to E3. ::shrug: But yeah, please feel free to fill in any blanks if you can. :)

: peace:

There ya go! : peace:

That's all I remember from the top of my head at least! (and in the case of Namco and TecmoKoei, I really can't be bothered to list every single little thing they do (besides, they're huge. Godonlyknowswhat they're working on anyway! :p

Looks good! Though I think it's a good idea to list the games that each developer most recently released as well; just to give a better idea of when we can expect to see something from them...

So I've update the list thus...

There ya go! : peace:

That's all I remember from the top of my head at least! (and in the case of Namco and TecmoKoei, I really can't be bothered to list every single little thing they do (besides, they're huge. Godonlyknowswhat they're working on anyway! :p

Cheers for that, mate. :bowdown:

Hopefully we can add many new titles to the list after E3! :hehe: