NEurope
Aneres11

Wii U available for pre-order

I estimate that the price of the Wii U will be between £250 and £300 so a price of £280 seems possible to me. Even so, I wouldn't order from ShopTo again even if I were paid to.

I would prefer the black Wii U to match the rest of the equipment in my AV shelving. The white Wii bugs me at the moment but if I could swap that out for my old black GameCube and a black Wii U it'd be excellent.

As for games, I think I'm looking for Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, ZombiU and Lego City Undercover. It depends on release date and total cost as to which I'll get though.

Even so, I wouldn't order from ShopTo again even if I were paid to.

That's some pretty strong criticism of ShopTo... what happened when you last ordered from them if you don't mind me asking? It must have been pretty bad for you to be put off ordering from them ever again. :blank:

I only say this with partial disbelief as my shopping experience with them has been nothing short of stellar, hence why I pre-ordered my Wii U with them. : peace:

Game can go whistle if they think I'm going to pay an extra £50 for the 'privilege' of having to go all the way to the shop and back on launch day, I'd rather pay less, get it delivered either on day of release or early and earn reward points that actually amount to a decent discount. :p

But your names on the "list" so surely people preordering now will be 100% assured of their orders.

You could preorder a month before release and still be guaranteed one, but hey if it puts your mind at ease go for it. I just find it a little odd to pre-order 5-6 months before release especially since I doubt this will be another Wii in terms of popularity.

That's some pretty strong criticism of ShopTo... what happened when you last ordered from them if you don't mind me asking? It must have been pretty bad for you to be put off ordering from them ever again. :blank:

I only say this with partial disbelief as my shopping experience with them has been nothing short of stellar, hence why I pre-ordered my Wii U with them. : peace:

They made an unauthorised charge to my credit card and didn't want to know when I contacted them about it. It wasn't very much (and not the initial check your cc details are valid) but it was enough for me to not use them again. This happened over a year ago now and I had nothing but good service before hand.

You could preorder a month before release and still be guaranteed one, but hey if it puts your mind at ease go for it. I just find it a little odd to pre-order 5-6 months before release especially since I doubt this will be another Wii in terms of popularity.

Better safe than sorry

£280? Even with the 'new controller' is the Wii U really even out-teching the 360 and PS3 that much? If not, I don't see how it can possibly be selling for so high alone given the others are significantly cheaper new atm, and probably still turning profit.

As for me, doubtful about pre-ordering anyway til I see some solid prices; though it IS likely I'll go with ShopTo, I'd need to see a decent solid price(£230 max for console alone with one of everything needed and nintendoland), and obviously also be more exciting about what's coming. At the moment the only thing that takes my fancy in Pikmin 3, not quite enough to warrant a whole console though.

Whilst I kinda do agree with you, I think it IS important for people who do really care/want it that they pre-order, all these pre-orders go from retailers to suppliers I imagine for arguments on stock levels, and helps ensure the market is satisfied. At least I hope it does, anyway.

@Rummy Based on Digital Foundry's stuff, it is out teching the 360 and PS3. Many things which are run on FMVs on the 360 & PS3 (in Arkham City), are done in real time on the Wii U and the textures etc. are better

If you're not parting with any money at all, is there really any harm in doing so?

@Rummy Based on Digital Foundry's stuff, it is out teching the 360 and PS3. Many things which are run on FMVs on the 360 & PS3 (in Arkham City), are done in real time on the Wii U and the textures etc. are better

Is it out teching them enough to warrant a huge price different though? Not to mention the Wii U doesn't have a hard drive; 8GB of flash memory compared to a hard drive should knock a bit off the price too? I'll admit though, I have no idea of how the specs actually compare, but I'm skeptical about actual cost price and what they'll try for RRP.

The other thing to weigh up is how much the next gen Sony and Microsoft consoles will be and how much they will cost by comparison because they will likely blow it out of the water.

Makes you think though, this christmas, buy an xbox with a huge hard rive for a little over £100 and shit loads of games and an amazing xmas lineup.

Or play the same games on the wii u, missing loads, but with Pikmin 3 for double the price... It's a hard sell.

Sometimes I get over the mess that was nintendo's E3 and get quite excited for the console, sometimes i think about the facts and see how bad it looks.

Fact is, there isn't anything really to truly justify it, there's nothing new, most games you can get (have already got and completed) on other much cheaper systems, and barring Zombi U and Nintendoland games that could easily be played on the wii or other systems... That's not great for a new launch.

When the PS4 and 720 come out, there will be games launched with that that will be absolutely impossible to have on any other home console.

Or play the same games on the wii u, missing loads, but with Pikmin 3 for double the price... It's a hard sell.

The majority of people interested in the "same games" would already own a 360 or PS3.

I don't think that it's incredibly expensive, but it's quite a stretch in the current economy, especially since that it's just a video-game system.

I imagine it will be unless the Bank of Japan actually puts some effort into devaluing their currency.

Right now with pound to yen conversion rates, you get less than half what you would have done years ago. Consider this example:

2006~2007: Gain £10m in UK sales = 2,500,000,000 yen

For the past year: Gain £10m in UK sales: 1,230,000,000 yen

This is why Nintendo is making a lot of losses these days and the products seem to be getting more expensive. They can't price things to make a little mark up other wise customers find it prohibitively expensive, though pricing it low for a while to make it competitive leads to a loss.

The majority of people interested in the "same games" would already own a 360 or PS3.

You know... or play OnLive. :woops:

I have no doubt that the Wii U will develop into a console with a good catalogue of games. At the moment though there isn't enough promise for me to invest that kind of money. There is still far too much grey area in what 3rd parties are going to be releasing and concerning that subject particularly, I err on the side of extremely pessimistic...because it's Nintendo.

The whole situation is frustrating. I completely believe in the console itself, controller, Miiverse and so on but for me the games aren't quite there yet.

I expect the console to retail at £199.95

Exactly, so they still won't sell on the Wii u then with that logic.

And also, doesn't Nintendo want to attract these customers?! (PS3 and 360 owners)

Makes you think though, this christmas, buy an xbox with a huge hard rive for a little over £100 and shit loads of games and an amazing xmas lineup.

Sometimes I get over the mess that was nintendo's E3 and get quite excited for the console, sometimes i think about the facts and see how bad it looks.

Fact is, there isn't anything really to truly justify it, there's nothing new, most games you can get (have already got and completed) on other much cheaper systems, and barring Zombi U and Nintendoland games that could easily be played on the wii or other systems... That's not great for a new launch.

When the PS4 and 720 come out, there will be games launched with that that will be absolutely impossible to have on any other home console.

I do always consider how much value is left in the current gen, not to mention unless I'm mistaken it's one of the longest gens we've had for a while? The performance of consoles almost seems to be hitting a plateau that I think it needs innovation like Nintendo to help keep things going before it all just turns into the same old generic thing. But yeah, value in an Xbox vs a Wii U is still quite a good point; if I think like that I wonder why I'd want one. Then I remember it IS for the innovation Nintendo bring, it's what's setting it apart from the other systems. Until they copy it, of course.

The other thing to weigh up is how much the next gen Sony and Microsoft consoles will be and how much they will cost by comparison because they will likely blow it out of the water.

That's something I don't even want to consider! Will not be buying another console for a long time methinks!

That's the one thing I don't get. So many people want Nintendo consoles to be similar to the MS and Sony ones. Do people really want them to have the exact same experiences on three consoles? I sure don't

I mainly buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games and thrid-party exclusives, that may change depending on how many multi-format games the Wii U does get though but by and large I'll just buy those for the Xbox 360...

Roll on Pikmin 3 I say! :D

I wouldn't mind having both on one console though! I'll get Wii U for Pikmin, and for Nintendoland, and for Zombi U etc. It would be amazing if I could get equal versions of all the PS3 and 360 games too, I prefer to use one console as much as possible, plus for the slight benefits the tablet could bring.

The difference with the Wii U is that it is in a position of having the best versions of multi-format games.

There's nothing wrong with wanting better versions of all these games.

I'm still toying with the idea of Assassin's Creed III on Wii U. It does look better based on what we've seen, but I have the whole series on the 360...

That's the one thing I don't get. So many people want Nintendo consoles to be similar to the MS and Sony ones. Do people really want them to have the exact same experiences on three consoles? I sure don't

I sort of agree yet disagree with you on that.

There definitely should be a unique experience. But you should also have the option to play it the classic way instead of having to buy multiple consoles.

In my eyes, we live in a current time where not everyone can afford to own multiple consoles, so it would be nice if the Nintendo console could cater to the unique Nintendo experiences as well as have the content that you get from Sony and Microsoft. That way you wouldn't need to consider buying a 2nd or 3rd console.

The black Wiiu looks quite cool but I’m too used to the white coloured Nintendo Wii brand. However, if a cute blue Wiiu was offered then I’d probably go for that.

As for games, bring on; Zombi U, Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U and possibly Tekken Tag Tournament 2, FIFA 13 and Assassin’s Creed lll (if they’d only just evolve the fighting mechanics and make the swordplay similar to Skyward Sword's with the Wiimote and Nunchuk!). Not particularly bothered about the pricepoint. If it rains joy upon mii from the heavens then it's worth it, if it isn't worth it then u could just arse off!!

But in actuality I think that, if some serious megatons don’t get unveiled within 6 months from now, then I’ll hold out until as late as after E3 2013 – possibly.

....... :D

The difference with the Wii U is that it is in a position of having the best versions of multi-format games.

There's nothing wrong with wanting better versions of all these games.

Of course, that requires developers to want to make good use of the extra power.