NEurope
Retro_Link

Tennis Thread

US Open Semi Finals

1) Andy Murray vs Tomas Berdych

2) Novak Djokovic vs David Ferrer

I don't think I can take the heartbreak of Murray losing another Grand Slam final...

If Ferrer could beat Djokovic, and Murray beat Berdych then he'd be looking very, very good for the Grand Slam. We can only live in hope but think Djokovic will push through his match relatively easily. Still, a Murray v Djokovic final should be a great match and one I think Murray could win if he starts out well.

Sad to see Roddick retire though (Surprised no one has mentioned this yet!!!). Always going to remember that Wimbledon final when Federer just came back and took it in the fifth set. Really think he should have won that. Great player, especially after changing up his game, but hasn't had the best of form as of late and definitely not been feeling it, which is why he's called it a day. Nevertheless, a great player.

I think Andy will do it, he did it only last month. It may not have been a slam but there's no doubting that players like Djokovic and Federer desperately wanted that gold medal as badly as they would any slam. Murray now has that belief, he's has that experience of winning major events that very few have.

The final is tonight, starting at 9pm...

Predictions?

I really, really hope I'm wrong but I can't see past Djokovic. 4 sets.

The final is tonight, starting at 9pm...

Predictions?

I really, really hope I'm wrong but I can't see past Djokovic. 4 sets.

YOU WERE WRONG1!!1!

YAY.

YOU WERE WRONG1!!1!

YAY.

In punishment, I believe that Charlie should change his name to "Captain Wrongpants" for a week.

YOU WERE WRONG1!!1!

YAY.

So pleased that I am wrong!

Absolutely shattered getting ready for work right now but totally worth it to see history being made!

Great article on Murray's development as a player over the years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/9534706/US-Open-2012-the-making-of-Andy-Murray-was-down-to-the-intense-commitment-of-one-person-his-mother-Judy.html

Judy still tells a story about Andy’s debut for Dunblane’s 3rd men’s team, at the age of eight, when we he was playing alongside a distinguished architect named John Clark. Before taking his first serve of the match, he ran up to Clark and told him “You should stand back a bit because I want to serve and volley and you might get lobbed.”

That's such a great story. Dunblane play in the same league as I played at at the end of school. The whole league is full of 40-60 year old men so for Murray to come into the league with that confidence is incredible. A lot of my old team mates played Murray around that time and they all claim to have beaten him.

Brilliant year for Murray, Should be very proud of the milestones he's hit this year.

Now continue that form into next year and add to that slam!

Congrats to Andy!! (Really dissapointing it couldn't be watched on normal TV)

Whilst I'm not really a fan of his, it's great for him and for British Tennis that he's won that first Grand Slam! and no doubt he'll go on to win a few more aswell.

It's great that the Top 4 are constantly alternating like this and forcing them all to stay at their peak and keep upping their game! Just a shame Nadal seems to have these constant injury worries!

This is unquestionably the greatest era for Men's Tennis. You've got 4 guys who are miles ahead of anyone else and at the moment i'd say none of the top 4 are ahead of each other. They've all won one slam and Murray also has the Olympics. Really be glad to see Rafa back soon, then end of season tour championships will be phenomenal.

Anyone know how schedule for the ATP World Finals at the O2 works?

Might think about going if there are decent tickets left. It seems to run for 1 weeks, Monday-Monday... so what days would the mens Semi's/Finals be on?... Womens on Sunday, Mens on Monday, or both finals same day? Can we already work out a draw based on the World Rankings or are they set to change at all?

Anyone know how schedule for the ATP World Finals at the O2 works?

Might think about going if there are decent tickets left. It seems to run for 1 weeks, Monday-Monday... so what days would the mens Semi's/Finals be on?... Womens on Sunday, Mens on Monday, or both finals same day? Can we already work out a draw based on the World Rankings or are they set to change at all?

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Finals/2012/Tickets/Tickets.aspx?camefrom=CFC_UK_ATP_EN_728x90_POSTUSOPEN

Tells you what sessions are when on the home page.

I haven't had access to the matches, so I've been following the BBC live text during this tournament. Murray has done so well, fantastic match yesterday. I knew he would eventually get his Slam, and now I feel he should be going into each tournament feeling like he can win it now.

Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver in the doubles, US Open title, Wimbledon Semi-Final, all in this current era. Not easy at all...I have to laugh at people who I've spoken to today saying "yeah, he did ok, but I still don't like him, he's miserable, blah blah." No pleasing some. :p

Wimbledon Semi-Final

Captain Wrongpants!

EDIT: Technically he did get to the semis, so i retract my wrongpantness.

Captain Wrongpants!

EDIT: Technically he did get to the semis, so i retract my wrongpantness.

D'oh, I meant final. Dunno what I was thinking there.

That's such a great story. Dunblane play in the same league as I played at at the end of school. The whole league is full of 40-60 year old men so for Murray to come into the league with that confidence is incredible. A lot of my old team mates played Murray around that time and they all claim to have beaten him.

Cool story, Captain WrongPants.

CHANGE. YOUR. NAME.

Gutted for Roger. I don't like Djokovic at all, yeah he's a fantastic player, but he's a prick.

I really wanted Rog to win, but there's a reason why Novak is No. 1 I suppose.

Gutted for Roger. I don't like Djokovic at all, yeah he's a fantastic player, but he's a prick.

No he's not.

Federer has the image as the nicest guy in the world, he really isn't. He's had many outbursts as moments of huge arrogance. Federer is still a pretty nice guy, as is Djokovic.

Christ.

Federer just won his 18th Grand Slam after 6 months out, at the age of 35!

Such a weird tournament. Venus vs Serena and Federer vs Nadal, it was like we were back in 2008. The men's final was strange, neither player really turned up at the same time, they were both good in alternating sets so each set was pretty one sided until the decider. Phenomenal achievement for Federer to win another slam almost 5 years after his last one, but I feel like people are underplaying Serena's achievement because of it. Serena winning her 23rd at 35 is also a fantastic achievement.

Such a weird tournament. Venus vs Serena and Federer vs Nadal, it was like we were back in 2008. The men's final was strange, neither player really turned up at the same time, they were both good in alternating sets so each set was pretty one sided until the decider. Phenomenal achievement for Federer to win another slam almost 5 years after his last one, but I feel like people are underplaying Serena's achievement because of it. Serena winning her 23rd at 35 is also a fantastic achievement.

I feel like that's the case because the Women's game can't hold a candle to the mens. I don't think i've ever seen Serena involved in any titanic struggles during the course of grand slams. I've watched so many women Grand Slam finals, only for them to be over in an hour.

It's ridiculous how many absolute titanic battles we've had over the past 10 years with some combination of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray and Wawrinka. 5 set, 5 hour epics haven't been uncommon. Points that last 40 shots. We've been so spoilt for greatness that just doesn't exist in the womens game.