NEurope
Retro_Link

Tennis Thread

3665274768_9cf9bbc2ed_b.jpg

OK, so I've been watching quite a bit of the French Open over the last two weeks thanks to ITV4's (pretty much all day) coverage! It's been really enjoyable getting a chance to watch it properly!

Rafa's incredible win over Ferrer just now has inspired me to create this thread, because I know there are people on here who enjoy Tennis; we've had the occasional Wimbledon threads on here before but them it sort of dissapears for the rest of the year.

So hopefully this thread can be used to talk all Tennis.

There's gonna be the other epic semi final between Federer and Djokovic in a bit, which was gonna start but then there was a rain delay.

And it's Queens next week and then of course Wimbledon!

ive been pretty addicted to watching the french open this week too seeing as ive just moved to Sheffield and dont currently have a job. Was sad to see Murray exit but Ferrers a better clay court player. The Tsonga Vs Djokovic was the match of the tournament so far for me though. Just watching the Federer/Djokovic match and it looks like itll be Djokovic against Nadal in the final.

I'm a huge tennis fan! I have played for about 10 years too - it's the only thing I'm decent at haha.

Love it, though the French Open is the worst slam going. Hate the French crowd with a burning passion.

I also only really support Venus and Serena - if either of them are not in a tournament, I don't really care. Same if they lose in a slam - couldn't care less who wins and I'm not interested. On the womens side anyway. Most will think this is ridiculous - but to me they are my absolute favourite players ever.

Anyway, I love the grass court season. Bring it on!

On topic of the French though - I'd like Djokovic to win. To hold the 4 slams would be pretty special when no one else has managed to do it for years. Especially when you think how dominant both Nadal and Federer have been the last few years. Plus I'm not a lover of Nadal's heavy top spin game.

I don't see Nadal being stopped though. To destroy Ferrer like he did today was scary. Ferrer is a great clay court player and I honestly expected him to cause Nadal a few problems. Didn't happen!

I think Nadal would have to have a very bad day to be thrown off course.

And as for the ladies - don't even talk to me about this year. :hmm:

if Djokovic wins wont he be the first to hold all 4 slams at the same time?

See I'm a huge Nadal fan and not a fan of Djokovic at all, so I'd much rather see Nadal get the record for 7 in a row, that's history right there! So I really hope he can do it, but Djokovic has been his kryptonite at times lately, the only player who can stand up to his backhand.

I can fully appreciate Djokovic's skills, but he used to be such a stroppy bastard before he went on this mad fitness/diet regime and got 1st class; and that bad attitude has kind of stayed with me.

Womens tennis is such a non event at the moment.

Used to love Martina Hingis, then I was a big fan of Justine Henin, but nowadays outside of Maria and the Williams sisters there are no real characters, or anyone that you really warm to. There's always the pretty players like Lisicki to get behind.

Bartolli was amazing to watch at Wimbledon last year, she really brought the womens tournament alive for me, hopefully she can do the same this year.

if Djokovic wins wont he be the first to hold all 4 slams at the same time?
In the modern game yes, but Rod Laver did it in the 60's and someone before him even earlier. I was really surprised by that, thought some of the great players would have done it at their peak.

I'm always sad when Federer doesn't win. I'm sad quite a lot recently.

There's always the pretty players like Lisicki to get behind.

Looking forward to seeing Lisicki back on court at Wimbledon this year. Really impressed me last year, and not just because she is pretty (although her getting a fright from the thunder echoing around centre court while the roof was shut was undeniably cute :love:). Haven't heard/seen how she's been playing this year but she's ranked #13 in the world so she must be doing something right. Hoping her and Stosur team up for the doubles again as they were pretty decent together. A shame they didn't win that final last year.

But yeah, kind of agree and disagree that the Women's tennis is a bit iffy at the moment. Agree that there's not really anyone outside of the players you said that make you want to get behind them but I do enjoy the fact that it's a lot more closer around the top 20 in Women's tennis as it makes it more interesting/exciting seeing who'll go through or get knocked out of tournaments.

Lot of talk, though, at the moment about Federer and how long he's going to keep playing. That straight sets, rather straight forward, win for Djokovic doesn't really say much for his playing level as he always seems to kick it up a notch at Wimbledon but he's definitely lagging a little behind both Djokovic and Nadal. Personally, I don't think he's done yet. Still very capable at the top there but will admit I'm not a huge fan of watching him play. Same can be said of Murray who just annoys me.

Very much looking forward to Wimbledon though. Will most likely watch most of Queens as it usually gives you a little insight to how the players get on with the quick turn around to grass courts after clay. Men's draw should be interesting anyway. Hoping for some good things from Tsonga again this year. Great player there.

I'm always sad when Federer doesn't win. I'm sad quite a lot recently.

Federers been a great player in the history of tennis but he just annoys me. He's not a great loser and his gold RF clothing line just oozes in self indulgence.

Unfortunately, i don't think Federer will win another Grand Slam....but it's maybe a bit early to retire if he can keep making it to semi-finals and finals. If that were the case, Murray should retire now!

OK so Nadal was two breaks up at 3-0 but Djokovic has just broken back to 3-1, I'm almost too nervous to watch this match, I hope Nadal destroys him! *crosses everything!*

I'm the opposite to Retro, I can appreciate the skill and raw power of Nadal but don't like him as much as Djokovic. Though I'm a Federer lover because his style and ability to use so many different shots is exciting to watch but he just cannot seem to compete with Dj and Nadal anymore.

I think this is a great time for tennis with so many strong players all fighting at the top at the same time.

Djokovic just brought it back to 3-3 :D Unlucky Retro!

These are the tensest match-ups! I don't think I've ever felt so nervous watching a game from the opening set as this one!

EDIT: That game to make it 6-4 was epic! Rafa 1 set up!

Edited by Retro_Link

Is it true about Djokovic suffering from an undiagnosed wheat allergy and once they solved that is why he's now so good?

Is it true about Djokovic suffering from an undiagnosed wheat allergy and once they solved that is why he's now so good?
I don't know if that was holding him back, but he did massively switch up his diet and move to wheat free amongst other things I believe.

ooooh, it's back on now! Because of the rain i mean....i'm pretty sure Nadal is going to win it still...

EDIT:.....yep.

Edited by 130131301364

Nadal showed just how dominant he really is!

we tried to watch it at work cheekily but freeview wasn't picking it up :(

Can't believe David Nalbandian. He should have apologised to the line judge and then the crowed and left it at that. Why go on and try and blame the ATP for your own stupidity?

What happened, I only managed to watch some of the game.

I did see a very funny Hawkeye challenge though which was about as far out as a ball can be! :p

What a moron!

Thought the same of Djokovic when he smashed that wood, which could have flown anywhere.